The Estate of Michael Jackson enters partnership with Sony Mobile

I think we all know there's a difference between Michael being there working on the song and him being gone. There's really no need to point it out over and over again. Now I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do about it... and in order to make some songs radio-fitting or at least finished, the estate\sony have to hire other musicians. Now go into details of whether or not there should be ad-libs, guitar riffs, added vocals\instruments IS part of the production... and we don't know what Michael would approve or what he wouldn't. It sucks but if it's that or just-for-fans-boxsets with demos most people don't care about (because they don't buy music in such shape) I'm ok with other producers working on the songs as long as it gets a good PR and more people are being exposed to Michael's music. He didn't leave any specific orders to what to do or not do with his unreleased material so nobody can possibly know what his vision was. I personally would love to have that deluxe\fan edition with the original demos but it's ok if we won't get it.

Well, firstly, in many cases there is no way to know where Michael wanted to take his demos (musically). Secondly, are they really trying to do what Michael wanted? Or are they just trying to score a big hit, regardless of what MJ wanted from the track artistically? To me it seems obvious it's the latter. For instance, we have no clear evidence that MJ wanted to work with Timbaland. Timbaland says he received one phone call from MJ, but clearly they were nowhere near having a working relationship. So why would they approach him, except for the fact that he has been very successful at producing hits for other artists?

You answered the question yourself. No one has knowledge where Michael wanted to take his demos, and that includes the estate and the people they got to work on his music. They have guidelines but thats all.
As for question, are they trying to do what MJ wanted artistically or going for big hit. I think they are trying to do the both, and consider this, we don't know what MJ wanted to do artistically, neither do they.
As for Timba, yes there might or mightn't have been phone call to him but that doesn't prove anything, so what?
We know Michael worked with current producers starting with Quincy, Teddy, Darkchild to Will, and those times they were current producers. I don't know who are the hottest producers at the moment but Timba seems to be quite up there. If you remember, they tried to use the producer that worked with Michael, but fans weren't happy with the result :cheeky:

With regards to your point about money. Firstly, I believe it should not be all about that. Secondly, I firmly believe that releasing the songs in their original state will be much more effective in preserving and prolonging Michael's legacy in the long run than scoring a forgettable #1 hit with a remix.

Did you get Bad 25 with unreleased - untouched songs?
Bad should have been perfect release to all fans but it wasn't. Fans weren't happy with it either. Also those unreleased - untouched songs in it, made no difference to Michael's legacy.

We would not, which is why in my opinion the approach that respects his artistic integrity most, is releasing them as what they are: works in progress at various stages of completion.

They did that already and as for now, we don't even know what is going to be on next album:)
As for using Slave on Sony ad, you do understand that they cannot use in commercial half finished song?

Every fan should be able to share their opinion as long as it is intelligent, well thought out, rational and not bashing other fans. If that is taken as being negative towards the estate or the their projects then so be it. Just because these guys took over all of Michael's dealings when he passed does not mean that they are Michael. And they are not above criticism. Not everybody is going to think the same way about any given subject and they shouldn't have to. And isn't this the best place to express those differences of opinions?

When I read these negative posts (not necessary yours) it seems that the fans have huge expectation what should be released, in what condition and who should produce them. I just find it these negative posts concentrating hating the estate one reason or other, without really thinking what they do. They do not sit on the studio mixing songs, and purposely use producers that fans don't approve. They do not have experience on that kind of things (exception McClain)goes on making album, and they hire people who should know these things and they trust those people make MJ proud and fans happy. Try to put yourself in their shoes, and think if MJ appointed you to be his executor. You are expected to make deals left and right to bring money, you are expected to be expert on making music, you are expected to keep MJ's image intact and million of other things that goes with being executor of Michael's estate. They cannot be expert on every area so they hire people who are. You may not be happy with their choices, but would you have done any better, and can you say you choices would have made the entire fan base happy?

Last edited:
Statement from Sony which sounds as if there is more to come from this partnership ~ The centerpiece of our new campaign is a 90 second film, depicting a day in the life of French dancer & choreographer Jeremié Bélingard – you could say it’s our boldest outing to date, employing dance, awesome music (!) and creative expression, to dramatise those details that we feel showcase Xperia Z2 as the “Best of Sony”.

So, earlier we shared part of the story behind how our campaign film came together. We collaborated with the Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony’s own Epic Records to make it happen; it’s a pretty special and unique partnership within the Sony family, linked to the global launch of Xperia Z2.

We felt that a product that showcases the “Best of Sony” should be promoted with music from one of the world’s best artists. So check out the first result from this exciting partnership above and stay tuned for more in the coming weeks.

I'm actually excited, finally new music by mj. hope for alot radio play.

I don't understand how some people don't see that this is promotion for the Sony Xperia Z2 and pre-promotion for MJ's album. It's obvious.This is just our first sneak peek at new MJ music that's right around the corner. Be happy that we are finally getting new music! :)

Has anyone seen the ad on TV? I can't wait for non-MJ fans to see/hear it.

They did build hype. They could have at least told us it wasn't an album or whatever.

Well i don't consider ONE message of 'expect an announcenent tomorrow' to be hype. If they kept posting multiple messages for days or weeks, telling us to expect a big huge announcement, then that would've been hype.

And frankly, no matter what they said or did, fans would've still complained. I'm just glad this seems to be positive promo for MJ and that Joe public doesn't care for the fan drama.

Weird! Is it ignorance again, mistake or some fans actually heard the demo?
Either ignorance or mistake. The leaked version is NOT a "demo" OF the TImbo remix. That's not how it works. Surely, the Estate and Timbo (as well as Tricky) have the demo + multitracks.

Has anyone seen the ad on TV? I can't wait for non-MJ fans to see/hear it.

When they show that ad on telly, I hope reception to song is as good as in utube. Many people asking there whose song and who is singer :clapping:

Can you please correct them that the leaked version is NOT a demo! Also can someone ask them when will we hear more information about the song, release date...

Man, you can overplay the whole thing. I'd say: nit-picking!

We know what they mean, they know also.

Should they call it: The "work in progress remix leak", or the "work in progress bieber duet leaked version with vocals taken from MJ's solo version leak", or "the remix demo, of the original demo from 1989 session version".

Maaaaaan...

Okay, a few things.

Firstly, the claims that the Estate needs to "protect Michael's legacy" by releasing certain products in certain ways is absurd. Michael Jackson's legacy is based off of the work he produced when he was alive, not by the posthumous projects. The same goes for artists like John Lennon, Elvis, Tupac - their craft is what lives and lasts. In five, ten, twenty years, how many people (outside the core fan base) is going to be talking about the Cascio tracks, or Bad 25? Compare that to the number of people who are going to be talking about Bad, Thriller, Off the Wall, Dangerous. Michael's legacy is safe. Nothing the Estate does, good or bad, will make any affect on it.

Secondly, the reproduction of music. Personally, I don't see this as an issue, so long as the Estate goes with the idea of relaesing a second disc of original untouched recordings, and the fact that fans are still getting angry boggles my mind. It goes along with the above paragraph for the most part -- Michael's legacy is fine. Most fans are overthinking it.

Whether or not you all like it, the Estate is a business. And like any business, a big incentive for them is making money. You cannot be mad at them for that, because EVERY SINGLE OTHER BUSINESS NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY TOO. Of course they shouldn't sell out Michael's artistic integrity to do so, but they still need to focus on it. And to make money, they need to make a product that will attract the general public (the hardcore fan base is too small for them to make any profit off of). And they will not make a profit by releasing Michael's demo versions in a TV commercial or as its own single.

I've played general fans the demo snippets of Hollywood Tonight against the album cut, and almost all of them said they would rather buy the album version. (One said he would buy both.) The best thing the Estate can do is market the reproduced versions, so long as they sound good, and release the original recordings as single B-sides/on a secondary disc on the deluxe version. That way, the general public gets something that stands a chance on the charts (come on, who wouldn't like to see Michael hit number one again?) and the fans have two versions of a song to listen to.

I don't see a single problem with anything the Estate is doing, so long as they release that secondary disc. I can promise you that Michael's legacy is not what his Estate does. It's the magic he gave to the world while he was alive. That is intact forever.

I too played HT album vs Throwback vs Demo Snippets and 5/5 people liked HT album better than the rest of them.

IF THE ESTATE DOESNT RELEASE a second disc with some demos. Boycott the release? no.
Support the release. New music = new fans.

Say a 7 year old was around in 2009. the kid didn't know Michael then. SAY the same kid is now 13 and she hears a NEW song. She hears the artist is Michael. Becomes a fan and dives into his back catalog.

Man, you can overplay the whole thing. I'd say: nit-picking!

We know what they mean, they know also.

Should they call it: The "work in progress remix leak", or the "work in progress bieber duet leaked version with vocals taken from MJ's solo version leak", or "the remix demo, of the original demo from 1989 session version".

Maaaaaan...

They should call it 2010 version. Simple as that.

I think it's slightly pre mature to pick on the sound of Slave To the Rhythm from the commercial... For all we know it would sound nothing like a release version. They obviously twined the sound with the instrumentals they used through the whole commercial. I'm glad they are introducing the song and hopefully this means a very soon announcement for MJ album.

While we're at it, another example: Behind The Mask
I would love to have Michaels original demo of the song. But i also will always love the 2010 version, simply because it has that "today" or modern sound to it. If there wasn't the live arrangement the 2010 mix would be perfect. Mc Clain did an awesome job with the instrumentation and Shanice's additional vocal at the end.
Now back to the demo, taking the version from Greg Phillinganes (which i also like very much) it's save to say that MJ's demo from this era would sound dated on "new album" release. For that purpose they have to update the sound/instruments.
And i'm almost sure we'll get the og demo of BTM sometime in the future, too. One day every piece of MJ music will be released, maybe on a huge demo/work in progress box set.

Now to the new album release:
A 2 disc edition would be perfect. But not everything in this world is always perfect. So i won't get angry or get into boycott mode when we're not getting the demos at the exact same time as the updated version, because i know one day in the future everything untouched will be released. So why not support what we are getting now? Now is the time of a new MJ release, soon we will hear a good amount of MJ vocals & melodies we've never heard before (officially in highest quality). Now is the time to celebrate, to support, to spread the word, to spread MJ's music in every corner of the world for the sake of MJ & his success.

Okay, a few things.

Firstly, the claims that the Estate needs to "protect Michael's legacy" by releasing certain products in certain ways is absurd. Michael Jackson's legacy is based off of the work he produced when he was alive, not by the posthumous projects. The same goes for artists like John Lennon, Elvis, Tupac - their craft is what lives and lasts. In five, ten, twenty years, how many people (outside the core fan base) is going to be talking about the Cascio tracks, or Bad 25? Compare that to the number of people who are going to be talking about Bad, Thriller, Off the Wall, Dangerous. Michael's legacy is safe. Nothing the Estate does, good or bad, will make any affect on it.
Yes, his legacy is safe, but that does not mean that the Estate should not make the best out of the situation right now. That's what their job is. And just because through all his hard work during his lifetime Michael's legacy is safe, that does not mean that it could not be enhanced by excellent posthumous releases. And you can argue about what the best way to go about that is. Some people feel reproducing his demos with a contemporary sound so that he can score a #1 hit is best. I for one think that that approach in the long run will simply reinforce the idea that Michael was a hit machine, whereas other types of releases could pave the way for a long overdue reassessment of his skills as a songwriter and singer.

Secondly, the reproduction of music. Personally, I don't see this as an issue, so long as the Estate goes with the idea of relaesing a second disc of original untouched recordings, and the fact that fans are still getting angry boggles my mind. It goes along with the above paragraph for the most part -- Michael's legacy is fine. Most fans are overthinking it.
Hopefully that rumour about the second disc is indeed true. I think that would please a lot of fans. But even then, you can of course debate what the best approach to posthumous releases is (without getting angry of course ;)).

Whether or not you all like it, the Estate is a business. And like any business, a big incentive for them is making money. You cannot be mad at them for that, because EVERY SINGLE OTHER BUSINESS NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY TOO. Of course they shouldn't sell out Michael's artistic integrity to do so, but they still need to focus on it. And to make money, they need to make a product that will attract the general public (the hardcore fan base is too small for them to make any profit off of). And they will not make a profit by releasing Michael's demo versions in a TV commercial or as its own single.
Sure, but you can make money in the short term and in the long term. Again, it is up for debate which strategy works best - not just in the sense of respecting Michael's artistic integrity, but also in the financial sense.

I've played general fans the demo snippets of Hollywood Tonight against the album cut, and almost all of them said they would rather buy the album version. (One said he would buy both.)
Well, these are subjective experiences. A friend of mine who is not a bigtime fan told me he found Hollywood Tonight 'tacky', but enthusiastically inquired what the names of Price of Fame and Al Capone were.

I don't see a single problem with anything the Estate is doing, so long as they release that secondary disc. I can promise you that Michael's legacy is not what his Estate does. It's the magic he gave to the world while he was alive. That is intact forever.
It is, but I find this a strange line of reasoning when it comes to assessing the Estate's releases. Similarly, I do not see the point in referring to awful posthumous of other artists (as if to say "look, fans of these artists got crappy stuff too") instead of looking to examples of other artists' whose estates have released excellent products as a way to look toward the future.

Michael Jackson's legacy is based off of the work he produced when he was alive, not by the posthumous projects.

This is something I agree 10000%. Posthumous projects are to keep fans happy and/or to introduce new people to MJ's music but they aren't the determinants of MJ's legacy. Michael himself built his legacy when alive.

In five, ten, twenty years, how many people (outside the core fan base) is going to be talking about the Cascio tracks, or Bad 25?

More than that just look to who constantly mentions Cascio tracks? It's only the people who are against them. The public or the other fans do not even know them or bring them up. So if the people against Cascio tracks stop mentioning them no one would remember them after a while. As for Bad25 no one outside the fan community is aware of it. The sales numbers demonstrate that

Secondly, the reproduction of music. Personally, I don't see this as an issue, so long as the Estate goes with the idea of relaesing a second disc of original untouched recordings,

I believe Estate would release the untouched recordings. The only thing is if they release it now with any album they release or if they wait a few more years and release the untouched recordings separately.

This is something I agree 10000%. Posthumous projects are to keep fans happy and/or to introduce new people to MJ's music but they aren't the determinants of MJ's legacy. Michael himself built his legacy when alive.

More than that just look to who constantly mentions Cascio tracks? It's only the people who are against them. The public or the other fans do not even know them or bring them up. So if the people against Cascio tracks stop mentioning them no one would remember them after a while. As for Bad25 no one outside the fan community is aware of it. The sales numbers demonstrate that

I believe Estate would release the untouched recordings. The only thing is if they release it now with any album they release or if they wait a few more years and release the untouched recordings separately.

I agree, even if we don't get the demos now (I actually kinda hope we don't, but ya know. im the minority) we will hear them sooner or later. Having both would be nice, but I feel we would compare and contrast too much.

it will be interesting to see what l.a reid had to do with this new remix of slave to the rhythm as he worked on the original recording in 1989 with Michael.. surely he wants timbaland to pay respect to that track?

do l.a. reid or babyface have twitter? how about asking them, how close timbalands mix is to the demo?
just a thought.

Even though everyone doesn't agree we all love Michael and want the best for him. I am not going to over analyze and just enjoy this for what it is. A great way to promote Michael. If people are talking about Michael in a positive way that is great.

When they show that ad on telly, I hope reception to song is as good as in utube. Many people asking there whose song and who is singer :clapping:

as for now :Sony Xperia - watched by 588.839 on youtube

I was pissed at first but now i'm excited to see people asking the name of the song and stuff :) Makes me happy to see people like that.

I just love to see Michael Jackson's music used so positively.

One question to Zakk: Why do you say the vocals don't match the instrumental in regard to the tempo?

One question to Zakk: Why do you say the vocals don't match the instrumental in regard to the tempo?

the instrumentals seem a little fast, which makes me think this is a remix.. just a thought of course but we shall see what come's to be

Re: [MJ Estate] Monday an announcement coming your way

I am disappointed that it is not a new album... :( but I think that it's great that they're using some of michael's music in their ad!

the instrumentals seem a little fast, which makes me think this is a remix.. just a thought of course but we shall see what come's to be
I understand what you mean. To me, the vocals seems out of place, they don't fit with the the mix

I actually think the contrast was intentional and I like it. I don't feel that there are two tempos, however.

Back