The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon

Re: Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon [Hardcover]

I think someone mentioned that John Branca wrote the foreword and maybe she doesn't like him? It doesn't seem she supports anything the estate supports or involved in.

Yeah I saw that comment, but it seems there most be more to make someone unhappy.

Guys I would like to write a book on UNDRESSING Michael Jackson Tearing the Seams of a Fashion Icon

I didn't know that John Branca is a fashion guru lol

I do not know. But some time ago some fans asked for her on twitter if she would write a book about Michael in the future and she said no. :fear:

I like her answer. A book from her will be something like Katiana's filled with stories that come only from the mind. She will add psychological bits also.

Veronas I guess Branca will talk about his connection to Michael, say something about Bush, and things like that. His input will certainly give the book some official bearing. It is good to have a book that is not a "tell all" piece of gossip.

Yeah I saw that comment, but it seems there most be more to make someone unhappy.

Guys I would like to write a book on UNDRESSING Michael Jackson Tearing the Seams of a Fashion Icon

:rofl:

ooooh yeah..:naughty:

Lool, I think I already red that somewhere :shifty:

qbee;3625643 said:
Wow Im really looking foward to this book about Michael's Iconic costumes and wardrobe from Michael Lee Bush
Looks like it has approval from the Estate with a forward written by John Branca. It will be released October 16
Im so excited to get this book :)

Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon [Hardcover]
Michael Bush
(Author), John Branca (Foreword)

Publication Date: October 16, 2012 - Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon is a fascinating look at the intersection of music and fashion, as well as an homage to Michael Jackson’s brilliant fusing of costume, personality, and performance to create his iconic image. This is the first art-driven book about the costumes, apparel, shoes, and accessories worn by Michael Jackson, including hundreds of lavish photographs and a behind-the-scenes look into the process of collaborating with him on the making of his wardrobe, written by his longtime costume designer Michael Bush.

Dressing Michael Jackson will feature exquisite photographs of the striking fashions worn by Michael at the height of his career, as well as images showing the carefully planned construction of the clothes to incorporate his unique dance moves and the details of the dynamic fabrics, metals, and other materials used. Accompanying text will provide insight into the artists’ methodology and captivating stories from the decades-long relationship between Michael Jackson and his fashion designers Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins. Their stories are funny and touching, and show a personal and artistic side of Michael Jackson never before revealed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608871517/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8
ir

You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Michael Lee Bush and Denis Tomkins
19bmsp.jpg

A picture of the road case in MJJ's off stage dressing room for HIStory Tour
8519_1151799155369_1239341459_30451142_321123_n.jpg

Oh boy! I can't wait to get this book. I am going to pre-order right now. This is wonderful. <3 :)

I wonder if Bush still has the model he used to make Michael's clothes or if he intends to sell it.

Looking forward to read this book. Let's see if he will talk something about the gold pants....=)

Looking forward to read this book. Let's see if he will talk something about the gold pants....=)

Yeah we need a whole chapter on the gold pants. I what to know about the technology that kept it together. I also need a whole chapter on the dangerous top and the flap that goes through the legs, to put it delicately.

Yeah we need a whole chapter on the gold pants. I what to know about the technology that kept it together. I also need a whole chapter on the dangerous top and the flap that goes through the legs, to put it delicately.

:hysterical::clap::girl_wacko::computer:

Yes ...Undressing Michael Jackson Peeling Off Gold Pants...

Did anyone tweet Bush about the book? I would like to know if he will add drawings/sketches as well. Did Michael try on the clothes in the studio or at Michael's home?

can not wait for this!

this sounds really cool!

It is good to have a book that is not a "tell all" piece of gossip.
There's nothing wrong with "tell all", unless it is gossip.

There's nothing wrong with "tell all", unless it is gossip.

A matter of taste--if it works for you then that is OK by me.

Michael Jackson's Unique Style Explored in New Book

Michael Jackson's Unique Style Explored in New Book - Hollywood Reporter

Costume designer Michael Bush's "The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson" is all about the costumes, apparel, shoes, gloves, jewelry and hats worn by the king of pop.

1:40 PM PDT 8/27/2012 by Merle Ginsberg

king_of_style_michael_jackson_a_p.jpg

There have been a lot of books on Michael Jackson, but here's one for the fashion lovers among us: The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson by Michael Bush, a longtime costume designer who worked with Jackson. The cover alone is enough to compell us.

Scheduled for an October release, it is the first art-driven book about the costumes, apparel, shoes, gloves, jewelry and hats worn by Jackson -- who probably influenced more fashion trends than anyone in the '80s outside of Madonna. The fact that his stylishness and inventiveness coincided with the dawn of music videos and MTV put both music videos and Jackson's style on the icon map.

Bush worked personally with Jackson for 25 years to create some of the most original and indelible clothing ever worn by a musical performer. Using his professional background in theatrical costume construction and dance, the duo created thousands of custom artistic pieces that captured the essence of a one-of-a-kind pop star.

Dressing Michael Jackson takes the reader behind the seams of cultivating the aesthetic of an international superstar trendsetter, featuring hundreds of photographs of the striking fashions worn by Jackson at the height of his career, plus never before published pictures depicting private moments of creative collaboration. It also includes commentary about the carefully planned construction of Jackson's clothes -- to accommodate his unique dance moves -- by designers Bush and Dennis Tompkins. In the book's forward, Jackson's former attorney and current executor of the Michael Jackson Estate, John Branca, reflects about his time with the King of Pop.

Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills is showcasing a high-profile international exhibit and auction of many of the costumes designed by Bush. Currently, Cirque du Soleil is readying an exciting tribute show, Michael Jackson -- The Immortal World Tour.

Another brand new article about the book :)

Man in the mirror: Michael Jackson's costumes revealed - The National

AD20120828995234-The_costume_des.jpg

Man in the mirror: Michael Jackson's costumes revealed

Aug 28, 2012

The zipper-covered Beat It jacket. The military-inspired coats with their epaulettes, crests and insignias. And, of course, that glittery glove.

For Michael Jackson, who would have turned 54 tomorrow, what he wore was as singular as his musical style and dance moves. Millions imitated his pegged trousers and penny loafers, a fedora cocked just so.

Jackson&#8217;s longtime costumier reveals the secrets behind the King of Pop&#8217;s meticulously crafted, regal rock-star look &#8211; and an intimate glimpse into the man himself &#8211; in a colourful new book due out on October 30, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson.

&#8220;When you worked with him, you couldn&#8217;t wait to get there and you didn&#8217;t want to leave when you got done,&#8221; says the author, the costume designer Michael Bush who, with his late partner Dennis Tompkins, dressed Jackson for more than a generation. &#8220;It was hard to imagine anyone that projected fashion and style any -better.&#8221;

What most people don&#8217;t know about Jackson, Bush says, is he was a joker &#8211; a playful prankster who loved to laugh and often teased those closest to him the most.

Bush tells of meeting Jackson for the first time in 1983, when both men were 25: the King of Pop hadn&#8217;t retained a costumier yet and Bush was up for consideration. Jackson had been holed up for hours in his trailer on the set of Captain EO. Bush could hear a monkey squealing as he approached. It was dark inside and &#8220;like, 120 degrees&#8221;. Jackson was snacking.

Eager to please as he prepped the pop star&#8217;s clothes, Bush felt something hit him gently on the head. A cherry stem. A few seconds later, it happened again. When it happened a third time, Bush lobbed a cherry at the rising superstar. Jackson tossed a handful back, and thus began a close professional and personal relationship that spanned the remainder of Jackson&#8217;s life.

&#8220;I think he wanted someone he could play with. He just wanted to see, &#8216;Am I going to have fun with this person?&#8217;&#8221; says Bush, an informally trained clothier from Ohio who learnt his craft from his mum and grandmother.

&#8220;And I laughed every day until he died.&#8221;

Bush won&#8217;t discuss the time Jackson wore pyjama bottoms to court during his child-molestation trial in 2005, but relishes in other details of the entertainer&#8217;s unique approach to his performance attire.

&#8220;Michael&#8217;s concept was, &#8216;I want the fashion designers in the world, the big conglomerates, I want them to copy me. I don&#8217;t want to wear what&#8217;s out there. I want to push my individuality and being that my music is me, my look should be me&#8217;,&#8221; Bush says.

In the book, Bush writes that Jackson preferred Chinese silk, silk charmeuse and stretchy fabrics: &#8220;Spandex made Michael feel sleek and secure and worked for his dance style.&#8221;

Then there were the military jackets, the rhinestone-encrusted interpretations of British war uniforms such as the one Jackson wore at the 1984 Grammy Awards, when he raked in a record eight awards for Thriller.

Jackson had a childlike fascination with rhinestones, Bush says.

&#8220;Sometimes I&#8217;d drive three hours to retrieve loose rhinestones straight from the factory, just because looking at them in that raw form pleased Michael to no end. Every time I opened the swatch of white felt that encased the rhinestones, he&#8217;d gasp,&#8221; Bush writes. &#8220;He&#8217;d take them from me and delicately move them around with his fingertips and whisper: &#8216;Can you imagine being a pirate opening a treasure chest? And seeing all the glitter inside? What a fascinating life, to be a pirate like that.&#8217;&#8221;

Bush declines to share any details about Jackson&#8217;s health or demeanour in his final days. He does say, though, that the King of Pop had always hoped his costumes would be celebrated in books and museums, and Bush is humbled by making that dream become a reality. The costumier will exhibit some of Jackson&#8217;s performance outfits in South America, Europe and Asia before releasing his book. Many of the costumes will be sold at auction in December, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the Recording Academy&#8217;s MusiCares charity.

Re: Michael Jackson's Unique Style Explored in New Book

Cassie thanks for the updates. Are they going to merge this with the book thread?

^^Oh I see. One thing I appreciate about Bush, is that he is staying away from the trash, like the pajama and how Michael was at the end. I admire him for that, because so many of the other authors had to put some dirt in so they could get a publisher. It is great to see that Bush did not have to do that. I guess when you have something of value to present and you have talent, like Bush does, you do not need trash to sell your merchandise.

^^I agree. I'm excited about this book, and my respect grew even greater for Bush for not talking about anything personal. That's a real friend!! It made me smile reading that the forward is written by Branca, can't wait to get this.

Love the rhinestones story :wub:

I've preordered this book...I'm really looking forward to it :D

MJNote2MLB_Smaller.jpg
I Needed Your Help​
ABOUT INSIGHT EDITIONS:

Insight Editions (www.insighteditions.com) is a publisher focused on creating superlative illustrated books on photography, music and popular culture.

Lavishly produced and visually stimulating, every volume from Insight is dedicated to the skillful interplay of word and image.

The books produced are unique works that combine the highest quality print production values with time-honored traditions of publishing and rich subject matter.

Elegant and informative, books from Insight showcase the best of art and photography in exquisite presentations of the bookmaker’s craft.

The book is being published by Insight Editions for release on October 30, 2012 and all copies purchased through this website will be personally signed by Michael Bush
http://dressingmichaeljackson.com/shop/index.php

Michael Jackson Refused To Wear Clothes From His Child Molestation Trial

Michael Jackson asked his stylist to dispose of all the clothes he wore during his infamous child molestation trial because they brought back bad memories.

The King of Pop was arrested in November, 2003 and charged with seven counts of child molestation after allegedly having inappropriate relations with a 13-year-old boy.

The case went to trial in January, 2005 at a court in Santa Maria, California, but the Thriller hitmaker, who maintained his innocence throughout the ordeal, was eventually acquitted of all charges five months later (May05).

Costume designer Michael Bush dressed Jackson every day of the legal battle, and he admits it was a challenge staying true to the singer's eccentric look, while also making him appear professional.

He tells the New York Post, "If Michael stepped into the courtroom in a (generic) Men's Warehouse black suit, it'd look like he wasn't himself. We went crazy once and did an electric blue one, but even Michael said, 'We can't go that far.'"

The time period was so emotionally taxing for Jackson, he refused to ever wear the clothes again - even though most of the outfits included one-of-a-kind pieces.

According to Bush, he said, "I never want to see those again."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mi...hes-from-his-child-molestation-trial_3322250#

Jewels, pearls, and plain Florsheim shoes for Michael Jackson

(Reuters) - Michael Jackson was the ultimate entertainer, who oversaw all the details of his shows, from the slick choreography to the rhinestones and pearls carefully hand sewn onto his elaborate costumes, his longtime costume designer says.

As much as music and dance characterized the pop superstar, the late Jackson was also known for his style, from military outfits and regalia, to jewel-encrusted gloves, fedora hats and intricately beaded jackets.

In a new book, "The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson," Michael Bush, the man who designed and made Jackson's stage costumes for 25 years until the pop star's death in 2009, offers a behind-the-scenes look at the iconic superstar and the development of his signature style.

"The clothes had to work around the way he was performing," Bush told Reuters in a telephone interview. "He wanted his outfits, or his costumes, to be as entertaining on a hanger as they were on him. It was an added layer of refinement and detail that he was projecting to his audience."

Everything Jackson wore had a focus and was an extension of what he was doing on stage, with dance playing a pivotal role in the designs. He favored rhinestones and beading because they reflected the stage lighting.

Function, fitness and comfort were essential, with neckties and fringes forbidden because they could be grabbed by fans.

"It was very contrived. It was very thought out," said Bush, adding that as the stadiums got bigger, Jackson's pants got shorter and shorter, the better to see his rhinestone socks.

"Michael was concerned that the people in the back row paid just as much to see him perform as the people in the front, so no one got cheated out of the entertainment he was projecting, because everyone could see what he was doing," Bush said.

MAN OF PARADOXES

Each of the 800 to 900 costumes Bush and his partner Dennis Tompkins, who died last year, made for Jackson were over-the-top, skin tight, flashy pop-star creations. Many are shown in detailed photographs in the book, along with sketches and performance photos.

Still, away from the spotlight, Jackson preferred more casual, loose-fitting corduroy shirts, black cotton pants with front pleats, and loafers.

And despite all his fame and wealth, and gifts of expensive designer shoes, Jackson always performed in Florsheim shoes, which can be purchased in most U.S. malls.

"He taught himself to dance in Florsheims. They were comfortable and were what he had worn as a child star," Bush explained in the book, to be published October 23.

Jackson's style evolved from his military outfits, featuring taut lines and embellishments and designed with his female audience in mind. These were followed by a more rebellious, edgy look with leather jackets, including one with small spoons and forks dangling, like military medals, across the front.

"The first layer was the jacket, then we put the zipper underneath that and the buckles from the "Bad" album look, and then we asked: 'How can we make this larger than life on stage?'"

Strobe lights and electric jackets were the next step. Each album had its own look, which evolved from the look preceding it.

Perhaps Bush and Tompkins's greatest achievement was Jackson's "lean shoes," which were eventually patented. He first performed his "lean move," leaning forward at a 45-degree angle in the short film "Smooth Criminal" in 1987, thanks to behind-the-scenes magic.

Bush and Tompkins were tasked with developing shoes that would allow Jackson to perform the move before a live audience, without falling over. It took Tompkins a month but he devised shoes that bolted to the floor and worked perfectly on stage.

Although Jackson claimed not to have a favorite costume, Bush said the one the pop star liked the most, and in which he was laid to rest, was the pearl and bead encrusted white military jacket that he wore when his sister Janet handed him a Grammy award in 1993.

There wasn't time to track down the original jacket when the Jackson family contacted Bush and Tompkins and asked them to choose his final outfit, so they made a copy.

"Michael was a man of many paradoxes, most of which we were able to represent in the clothes we designed: Rigid military cuts that were also elastic and moveable; rebellious regalia, fit for army commanders, worn over the heart of a gentle man; bedazzled embellishments adorning a man blessed with a quiet humility; one of a kind, handcrafted clothes worn with aged, scuffed Florsheim shoes," Bush said in the book.

Jackson, 50, died in Los Angeles in June 2009 from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, which he was taking to help him sleep. His personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, is serving a four-year prison term for involuntary manslaughter.

(Editing by Jill Serjeant and Bernadette Baum)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...books-michaeljackson-co-idUSBRE89B0V820121012

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/art/books/2012/10/14/357549/p2/Book-chronicles.htm
Book chronicles Jackson as king of style

NEW YORK--Michael Jackson was the ultimate entertainer, who oversaw all the details of his shows, from the slick choreography to the rhinestones and pearls carefully hand sewn onto his elaborate costumes, his longtime costume designer says.

As much as music and dance characterized the pop superstar, the late Jackson was also known for his style, from military outfits and regalia, to jewel-encrusted gloves, fedora hats and intricately beaded jackets.

In a new book, &#8220;The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson,&#8221; Michael Bush, the man who designed and made Jackson's stage costumes for 25 years until the pop star's death in 2009, offers a behind-the-scenes look at the iconic superstar and the development of his signature style.

&#8220;The clothes had to work around the way he was performing,&#8221; Bush told Reuters in a telephone interview. &#8220;He wanted his outfits, or his costumes, to be as entertaining on a hanger as they were on him. It was an added layer of refinement and detail that he was projecting to his audience.&#8221;

Everything Jackson wore had a focus and was an extension of what he was doing on stage, with dance playing a pivotal role in the designs. He favored rhinestones and beading because they reflected the stage lighting.

Function, fitness and comfort were essential, with neckties and fringes forbidden because they could be grabbed by fans.

&#8220;It was very contrived. It was very thought out,&#8221; said Bush, adding that as the stadiums got bigger, Jackson's pants got shorter and shorter, the better to see his rhinestone socks.

&#8220;Michael was concerned that the people in the back row paid just as much to see him perform as the people in the front, so no one got cheated out of the entertainment he was projecting, because everyone could see what he was doing,&#8221; Bush said.

Each of the 800 to 900 costumes Bush and his partner Dennis Tompkins, who died last year, made for Jackson were over-the-top, skin tight, flashy pop-star creations. Many are shown in detailed photographs in the book, along with sketches and performance photos.

Still, away from the spotlight, Jackson preferred more casual, loose-fitting corduroy shirts, black cotton pants with front pleats, and loafers.
And despite all his fame and wealth, and gifts of expensive designer shoes, Jackson always performed in Florsheim shoes, which can be purchased in most U.S. malls.

&#8220;He taught himself to dance in Florsheims. They were comfortable and were what he had worn as a child star,&#8221; Bush explained in the book, to be published Oct. 23.

Jackson's style evolved from his military outfits, featuring taut lines and embellishments and designed with his female audience in mind. These were followed by a more rebellious, edgy look with leather jackets, including one with small spoons and forks dangling, like military medals, across the front.

Strobe lights and electric jackets were the next step. Each album had its own look, which evolved from the look preceding it.

Perhaps Bush and Tompkins's greatest achievement was Jackson's &#8220;lean shoes,&#8221; which were eventually patented. He first performed his &#8220;lean move,&#8221; leaning forward at a 45-degree angle in the short film &#8220;Smooth Criminal&#8221; in 1987, thanks to behind-the-scenes magic.

Bush and Tompkins were tasked with developing shoes that would allow Jackson to perform the move before a live audience, without falling over. It took Tompkins a month but he devised shoes that bolted to the floor and worked perfectly on stage.

Although Jackson claimed not to have a favorite costume, Bush said the one the pop star liked the most, and in which he was laid to rest, was the pearl and bead encrusted white military jacket that he wore when his sister Janet handed him a Grammy award in 1993.

Back