The main problem of History album is Teddy Riley's absence?

The likes of D.S , Money , 2 Bad , This time around and Come Together (cover) are probably the weaker tracks on the album

There are some great songs though and a few real MJ classics on the album which are among my fave ever MJ songs.

Stranger in Moscow and Earth Song being the highlights for me.

I don't see any problem with "HIStory" musically, it's the only album that I wouldn't skip any tracks, I love Dangerous but I think it was good that Teddy wasn't on "HIStory"

I say HIStory is a masterpiece from beginning to end. Its a fearless, challenging, epic masterpiece. It didn't need Teddy. MJ needed a new sound.
New sound? Well, MJ did exactly opposite thing. Without Teddy it was impossible to create new sounding. That's why History sounded old dated

I love Teddy's productions but I don't think he was missed on HIStory. If anything not having him on the last album made his productions on BOTDF even more fresh and new. Blood and Ghosts didn't sound anything like HIStory
Well, the point is, Teddy Riley was the best producer, Michael have ever worked with. He was perfect choice from any perspective. He produced almost 4 Michael's albums! Michael loved Teddy. He didn't want to let him go even after Invincible. Actually Teddy was one of producers for Michael's 12th album. I'm sure Michael wanted to have Teddy as regular partner. And I respect his choice

New sound? Well, MJ did exactly opposite thing. Without Teddy it was impossible to create new sounding. That's why History sounded old dated

Which songs do you see as sounding dated? The only song I see as that is Tabloid Junkie, which is similar to Jam and Lewis's work for Janet. Its still a great song. Even in 1991, Teddy Riley's New Jack Swing was almost on the way out. MJ's perfectionism elevated those songs to masterpiece level. By 1995, New Jack Swing wasn't fresh anymore. It had been done for nearly a decade. If Teddy Riley came up with a completely new sound for MJ for HIStory, then I could see your point. Yes, Teddy is a genius for creating New Jack Swing, but after that? Teddy had his chance to create new sounds for MJ in 2001, but he failed to deliver. Heaven can wait and 2000 watts were originally by outside writers. Even for Hollywood Tonight, Teddy was still using New Jack Swing.

Which songs do you see as sounding dated? The only song I see as that is Tabloid Junkie, which is similar to Jam and Lewis's work for Janet. Its still a great song. Even in 1991, Teddy Riley's New Jack Swing was almost on the way out. MJ's perfectionism elevated those songs to masterpiece level. By 1995, New Jack Swing wasn't fresh anymore. It had been done for nearly a decade. If Teddy Riley came up with a completely new sound for MJ for HIStory, then I could see your point. Yes, Teddy is a genius for creating New Jack Swing, but after that? Teddy had his chance to create new sounds for MJ in 2001, but he failed to deliver. Heaven can wait and 2000 watts were originally by outside writers. Even for Hollywood Tonight, Teddy was still using New Jack Swing.
This Time Around, Money and Too bad. I'm talking about these 3 specific songs. They all sound kinda vapid. Especially TTA, which somehow managed to become a single...Teddy Riley could make them much better!
Tabloid Junkie is a good song, which is much better than TTA, Money and Too Bad. it doesn't sound outdated. The only problem of Tabloid Junkie is insane sample, used in that song. But chorus of this song is pure masterpiece.

Well, the point is, Teddy Riley was the best producer, Michael have ever worked with. He was perfect choice from any perspective. He produced almost 4 Michael's albums! Michael loved Teddy. He didn't want to let him go even after Invincible. Actually Teddy was one of producers for Michael's 12th album. I'm sure Michael wanted to have Teddy as regular partner. And I respect his choice
He wasn't the best producer, only your opinion

Most of HIStory outpaces Dangerous, tit for tat. The biggest hits from HIStory are the stuff that don't really compare to Teddy anyway.

D.S versus Give In To Me
Stranger in Moscow vs Who Is It
You Are Not Alone versus Will You Be There
Earth Song Heal The World
Smile versus Gone Too Soon
Little Susie versus Keep the Faith

Etc

Most of HIStory outpaces Dangerous, tit for tat. The biggest hits from HIStory are the stuff that don't really compare to Teddy anyway.

D.S versus Give In To Me
Stranger in Moscow vs Who Is It
You Are Not Alone versus Will You Be There
Earth Song Heal The World
Smile versus Gone Too Soon
Little Susie versus Keep the Faith

Etc
All songs you mentioned are not even Teddy's 😂 But still...

Give In To Me is better than D.S
Stranger in Moscow is better than Who Is It
You Are Not Alone is better than Will You Be There
Earth Song is not better than Heal The World, they are both pretty awesome
Smile is better than Gone Too Soon
Little Susie is better than Keep the Faith

The main problem with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad is QuincyJones. Lol, these types of threads are tired.
Well, Quincy Jones was Michael's first big collaborator. Of course he had disadvantages, comparing with Riley. But still, he was the first. That's why we have to respect him

same with Invincible
I wouldn't say that Invincible was really different from Michael's previous work. Musically Invincible is kinda sequel for Dangerous album. They have something in common. And also, there was something from Thriller album too)

Well, Quincy Jones was Michael's first big collaborator.
Are you saying the folks like the Mizell Brothers, Berry Gordy, or Gamble & Huff weren't big? Gamble & Huff along with Thom Bell created the entire Philadelphia sound in the late 1960s. Which is kinda one the origins of what was later called disco, so was Barry White's music.

Are you saying the folks like the Mizell Brothers, Berry Gordy, or Gamble & Huff weren't big? Gamble & Huff along with Thom Bell created the entire Philadelphia sound in the late 1960s. Which is kinda one the origins of what was later called disco, so was Barry White's music.
I don't know, who are you talking about) I'm 20, not 70. I'm specifically fan of Michael Jackson. I'm not really into of his entourage. All I know, that Quincy was Michael's first producer, Riley was his best producer and Jerkins was his last producer. I'm fully satisfied with info, I'm obtaining. Anyway, thanks to MJJC I can always learn something new about Michael's musical partners, so I see no reason to complain about)

I don't know, who are you talking about) I'm 20, not 70. I'm specifically fan of Michael Jackson. I'm not really into of his entourage. All I know, that Quincy was Michael's first producer, Riley was his best producer and Jerkins was his last producer. I'm fully satisfied with info, I'm obtaining. Anyway, thanks to MJJC I can always learn something new about Michael's musical partners, so I see no reason to complain about)
Ask anyone outside of your little world and they will say Jones was his best producer due to Off The Wall, Thriller and BAD.

You might not have heard of the others, but you're a Michael Jackson fan and don't know Berry Gordy? Without Berry, there probably would have been no Michael Jackson. The J5 would have been some obscure local act on Steeltown Records. Quincy was not Mike's first producer. Even if you don't count the brothers records, Mike has 4 solo albums on Motown. Also without Berry Gordy, Mike would have never worked with Quincy in the first place, since Berry/Motown was one the producers of The Wiz movie. Although the soundtrack was released on MCA Records. Mike was lucky for that since the brothers, minus Jermaine, had left Motown by the time The Wiz went into producton

Grandfathered in, all members used to be able to have signatures at some point that must have changed. I've had this signature since probably 2009 or 2010.
Oh...damn it! Why did they decide to change it!? That's not fair! New fans want to make cool signatures for themselves too! @Hiker @Gaz @mj_frenzy that's not cool, admins:confused:

You might not have heard of the others, but you're a Michael Jackson fan
I am
and don't know Berry Gordy? Without Berry, there probably would have been no Michael Jackson. The J5 would have been some obscure local act on Steeltown Records. Quincy was not Mike's first producer. Even if you don't count the brothers records, Mike has 4 solo albums on Motown. Also without Berry Gordy, Mike would have never worked with Quincy in the first place, since Berry/Motown was one the producers of The Wiz movie. Although the soundtrack was released on MCA Records. Mike was lucky for that since the brothers, minus Jermaine, had left Motown by the time The Wiz went into producton
Omg, thank you for that really interesting kind of lecture! I really appreciate that. God bless you. But no, I'm not a big fan of everything MJ have ever done before Off The Wall era. I know he had big hits like Ben, ABC, I Want You Back. But the only song of J5 I added to my music list is Heartbreaker Hotel. I'm just simply Michael Jackson's fan. Only his fan. Not his brothers, sisters, co-workers, kids, parents and so on. Sorry, but this is the way
w69KswqfwebHt4TiZ4HmCd.jpg

I'm just simply Michael Jackson's fan. Only his fan. Not his brothers, sisters, co-workers, kids, parents and so on.
So why do you think Teddy Riley is so great then? I'm guessing you've never listened to anything Teddy produced besides the songs on Dangerous & the few songs on other Mike albums after it. Such as Bobby Brown & Doug E. Fresh. That means if Mike never worked with Teddy and worked with Jam & Lewis instead for the 1991 album, you likely would never have heard of him either.

Back