The MJ Estate Has Updated the FAQ Page on the Official Website

SmoothGangsta;4302691 said:
It will be the only option. It's just whether they want to put forward the money to do it.

It’s the King of Pop w are talking about. They must do it.

wonderouzmj;4302678 said:
What else are they doing that they can't remake the cgi in post. They visions intros were full of cgi..... once again....2 many excuses

Doing title cards for the Vision set is not the same thing as doing visual effects for a music video. It’s not even in the same realm in terms of difficulty, manpower, or price.

I’m not saying MJ’s short films shouldn’t be upscaled to HD; they absolutely should. However, this idea that it’s such an easy thing is asinine. Artists like Queen have had their short films upscaled because, compared to MJ’s, they’re simplistic. There’s a reason the Estate only put “Thriller” in theaters rather than online — film restoration, re-editing (where necessary), and special effects are time consuming and expensive.

The Estate literally said that they want to upgrade Michael’s short films and gave a reasonable, transparent explanation as to why it hasn’t yet been done. And people still complain. Sad.

Also, “what else are they doing”? Fighting HBO, Robson, and Safechuck in three separate, multi-year court cases, all of which have millions upon millions of dollars on the line, for one thing.

If they really care about the video quality of short films, they'd have plenty of options. Even if NONE except Thriller is technically restorable due to the lost of original film reels or special effects (which I call BS, Michael has lots of music videos, Thriller can't be the only one), they can still send the uncompressed tape rip or video file (before DVD compression) to guys like me. Some people have seen my MV upscales this year, and believe me, it would be so much better if I can get the uncompressed video file. It won't be true HD for most videos, but almost, at least way better than most people have seen.

AlwaysThere;4302724 said:
Doing title cards for the Vision set is not the same thing as doing visual effects for a music video. It’s not even in the same realm in terms of difficulty, manpower, or price.

I’m not saying MJ’s short films shouldn’t be upscaled to HD; they absolutely should. However, this idea that it’s such an easy thing is asinine. Artists like Queen have had their short films upscaled because, compared to MJ’s, they’re simplistic. There’s a reason the Estate only put “Thriller” in theaters rather than online — film restoration, re-editing (where necessary), and special effects are time consuming and expensive.

The Estate literally said that they want to upgrade Michael’s short films and gave a reasonable, transparent explanation as to why it hasn’t yet been done. And people still complain. Sad.

Also, “what else are they doing”? Fighting HBO, Robson, and Safechuck in three separate, multi-year court cases, all of which have millions upon millions of dollars on the line, for one thing.

Well said! I have said the same, many times.

There’s a reason the Estate only put “Thriller” in theaters rather than online — film restoration, re-editing (where necessary), and special effects are time consuming and expensive.
They've put Thriller in theaters a long time ago and they've earned plenty of money. Still no physical or online release, though.

As I said before, they can do film restoration or plain simple video upscaling, lots of options available for improving video quality. With proper upscaling techniques (I'm not talking about AI), old short films can look much better. Right now the best source we have are mostly 480i DVD, and some in Vision are very compressed.

And I've stated lots of times, that I'd be happy to do their work for free, or very little money. I believe I can achieve better video quality than many professional video workers do.

It's one thing that they say and another thing that they do. I prefer to see what they do (or don't do).

Just another excuse they've used for doing nothing. They use Covid-19 this year. They've been doing practically nothing long before LN. If that's the best they can do, they need capable people with real talents.

They've put Thriller in theaters a long time ago and they've earned plenty of money. Still no physical or online release, though.

As I said before, they can do film restoration or plain simple video upscaling, lots of options available for improving video quality. With proper upscaling techniques (I'm not talking about AI), old short films can look much better. Right now the best source we have are mostly 480i DVD, and some in Vision are very compressed.

And I've stated lots of times, that I'd be happy to do their work for free, or very little money. I believe I can achieve better video quality than many professional video workers do.

It's one thing that they say and another thing that they do. I prefer to see what they do (or don't do).

Just another excuse they've used for doing nothing. They use Covid-19 this year. They've been doing practically nothing long before LN. If that's the best they can do, they need capable people with real talents.
Omg thank you!! I still call bs on excuses. Alwaysthere can believe every word the estate says & we'll forever be waiting for something. That was the exact reason for the change in faq, to let us know they're watching, reading & listening 0

"Thriller" was shown in select theaters for one week as a preamble to The House with a Clock in its Walls in 2018. I'm not sure where this "plenty of money" claim comes from. Care to share any sources?

Firstly, they're not going to hire a random fan to oversee the restoration of Michael's videography. I and many others have tried to weasel our way into the Estate circle with no luck. There's also zero reason to use upscaling technology when the 35mm reels are available, but I digress.

Secondly, I'm sure you know of the costs for film restoration, but for those who don't: on average, it costs $3,000 to $6,000 per minute for a 4K restoration of a full color and sound 35mm film negative (depending on the condition of the film, its length, and its unique technical specifications). Visual effects costs vary; some are on an hourly basis while others charge a flat fee between $5,000 and $40,000 per scene (depending on the complexity). Some short films may require re-editing, which is also a variable price. Annual storage for a 4K film negative hover around $12,500. To restore Michael's entire 38-video, 250-minute videography would cost anywhere from $750,000 to $1.5 million for the initial 35mm transfer and restoration process, untold thousands in necessary visual effects and re-cutting fees, and a yearly storage fee of $475,000.

Take note of how few legendary artists (e.g, Queen/Freddie Mercury, Amy Winehouse, Madonna, Prince) have restored their music videos in 4K, and how not a single one has done so with their entire videography.

You're right; actions speak louder than words. But it seems asinine to say this and then immediately jump to criticizing them before they've given any opportunity to prove themselves.

Translation: "Sure, the Estate produced the Journey from Motown to Off the Wall documentary in 2016; created an animated Halloween special, which was accompanied by a horror-themed soundtrack and special fan events that screened Ghosts and "Thriller 3D" (the latter of which debuted at the Venice Film Festival), and partnered with Pepsi for another global campaign in 2017; oversaw a critically-acclaimed European tour exhibition, authorized a single that gave Michael his 44th Top 10 hit in the United States, hosted a Diamond Celebration in Vegas featuring Mark Ronson and Usher, and screened "Thriller 3D" in select theaters in 2018; and are currently preparing a Broadway jukebox musical that's due to premiere in 2021. But since I didn't personally ask for any of these things, I don't count them as projects. Unless it's something I specifically requested, I don't like it."

What excuses have the Estate provided prior to this FAQ, exactly? They said COVID-19 messed up their HIStory 25 plans, which is one hundred percent plausible given that the music industry is practically at a standstill. That's literally it.

Again, I'm not saying that the Estate is perfect or immune from criticism. They've messed up countless times in the past and they will likely continue to mess up. But so many of us have adopted this undeserved entitlement, and it's ruining the community. Michael remains a major cultural icon eleven years after he died, and if you seriously think that the projects the Estate has authorized had nothing to do with that, you need to take a step back and look at things objectively. Yes, the fan community is ultimately what keeps his legacy alive. But you really can't compare Michael's ongoing existence in the public consciousness with any other deceased artist, partially because the Estate keeps him in the spotlight.

We once again out here calling people who aren't happy with what the estate have been doing entitled. Just another day on MJJC.

We once again out here calling people who aren't happy with what the estate have been doing entitled. Just another day on MJJC.

It has nothing to do with people unhappy with what the Estate's doing. That's fine. It's the complaints they're offering that bother the living hell out of me and make it hard to have any sort of discussion around here. For example:

"The demos on Xscape were in terrible quality"? Completely valid and justifiable.
"They haven't released a concert yet, even though we don't know exactly what they have at their disposal, so they're incompetent and lazy?" Not justifiable whatsoever.

Secondly, I'm sure you know of the costs for film restoration, but for those who don't: on average, it costs $3,000 to $6,000 per minute for a 4K restoration of a full color and sound 35mm film negative (depending on the condition of the film, its length, and its unique technical specifications). Visual effects costs vary; some are on an hourly basis while others charge a flat fee between $5,000 and $40,000 per scene (depending on the complexity). Some short films may require re-editing, which is also a variable price. Annual storage for a 4K film negative hover around $12,500. To restore Michael's entire 38-video, 250-minute videography would cost anywhere from $750,000 to $1.5 million for the initial 35mm transfer and restoration process, untold thousands in necessary visual effects and re-cutting fees, and a yearly storage fee of $475,000.

Michael has been dead for 11 years! This is the estate who's making money sorely from bs creations. Out of 11 years....they've had 1 interesting project (bad 25) not 1 thing has been an omg moment UNLESS you went to the theaters & saw thriller in 4k. Its not like we're talking about a random celebrity. This is the biggest pop star beyond! We shouldve had restoration to his shorts YEARS ago! They've had pleanty of time & definitely enough money. I'd rather have the shorts in 4k than to see a cirque show or a broadway show! I was blown away from the moonwalker retrospective when it came out. & it seems as if wb didnt have so much of a money problem when it came to that so EXCUSES are what the estate are coming up with. Its not that hard. & if certain fans like happylee actually had access to the reels... you can only imagine. He & others get footage from all types of sources & detail every frame for all to enjoy. We as fans go out the way to keep his legacy going & the estate just sits on exclusive things. At this point they keep saying it wouldnt be ready for a final product & etc...i dont care if they put out a video sitting in a tree....i just want them to at least pretend they care about the fans & what we want. Brad has these siminars full of rarities & unreleased footage like mj recording childhood or the bad doc mj was working on & we saw footage in the bad 25 doc when he was in the studio. I think it was called on the road or something....man i could go on & on. Nothing they do or u can say to make me believe anything the estate says or does & tries to make us believe they don't have resources. B.S!!

The estate finding restoring Mike's short films prohibitively expensive is a ridiculous theory. It's a one time cost that is a pittance compared to what they've made and what they stand to make. Good thing they have the sense to at least say they haven't found the source material or something rather than claiming that it's too much money. It's a travesty that it hasn't been done in 12 YEARS. Utterly ridiculous.

Translation: "Sure, the Estate produced the Journey from Motown to Off the Wall documentary in 2016; created an animated Halloween special, which was accompanied by a horror-themed soundtrack and special fan events that screened Ghosts and "Thriller 3D" (the latter of which debuted at the Venice Film Festival), and partnered with Pepsi for another global campaign in 2017; oversaw a critically-acclaimed European tour exhibition, authorized a single that gave Michael his 44th Top 10 hit in the United States, hosted a Diamond Celebration in Vegas featuring Mark Ronson and Usher, and screened "Thriller 3D" in select theaters in 2018; and are currently preparing a Broadway jukebox musical that's due to premiere in 2021. But since I didn't personally ask for any of these things, I don't count them as projects. Unless it's something I specifically requested, I don't like it."

What excuses have the Estate provided prior to this FAQ, exactly? They said COVID-19 messed up their HIStory 25 plans, which is one hundred percent plausible given that the music industry is practically at a standstill. That's literally it.

Again, I'm not saying that the Estate is perfect or immune from criticism. They've messed up countless times in the past and they will likely continue to mess up. But so many of us have adopted this undeserved entitlement, and it's ruining the community. Michael remains a major cultural icon eleven years after he died, and if you seriously think that the projects the Estate has authorized had nothing to do with that, you need to take a step back and look at things objectively. Yes, the fan community is ultimately what keeps his legacy alive. But you really can't compare Michael's ongoing existence in the public consciousness with any other deceased artist, partially because the Estate keeps him in the spotlight.

Completely and utterly agree...especially with the emboldened. :)

Michael has been dead for 11 years! This is the estate who's making money sorely from bs creations. Out of 11 years....they've had 1 interesting project (bad 25) not 1 thing has been an omg moment UNLESS you went to the theaters & saw thriller in 4k. Its not like we're talking about a random celebrity. This is the biggest pop star beyond! We shouldve had restoration to his shorts YEARS ago! They've had pleanty of time & definitely enough money. I'd rather have the shorts in 4k than to see a cirque show or a broadway show! I was blown away from the moonwalker retrospective when it came out. & it seems as if wb didnt have so much of a money problem when it came to that so EXCUSES are what the estate are coming up with. Its not that hard. & if certain fans like happylee actually had access to the reels... you can only imagine. He & others get footage from all types of sources & detail every frame for all to enjoy. We as fans go out the way to keep his legacy going & the estate just sits on exclusive things. At this point they keep saying it wouldnt be ready for a final product & etc...i dont care if they put out a video sitting in a tree....i just want them to at least pretend they care about the fans & what we want. Brad has these siminars full of rarities & unreleased footage like mj recording childhood or the bad doc mj was working on & we saw footage in the bad 25 doc when he was in the studio. I think it was called on the road or something....man i could go on & on. Nothing they do or u can say to make me believe anything the estate says or does & tries to make us believe they don't have resources. B.S!!

Your last sentence pretty much signposts where you are coming from - you aren't going to accept anything, no matter what it is; therefore your mind is CLOSED. The Estate isn't trying to make anyone believe anything. The Estate answered questions. Some fans don't want to accept the answers, because it isn't what they want to hear. This is a direct result of such fans believing that there are hundreds of album-ready songs in the vault and also copious quantities of restorable concert footage just lying around, waiting to be revived and released. Fans who believe this (myth), find themselves constantly angry and frustrated with the Estate for not doing what they want them to do, even though it would have to be done with resources that may not even exist. As far as the Estate turning the (perhaps non-existent) resources over to an audio-visual hobbyist for special treatment is concerned......well.....I just shake my head at that suggestion. LOL

Some fans have no interest in the Cirque show or the Broadway show - that's fine, that's their choice - BUT it doesn't make these projects invalid and it doesn't negate the impact they've had in perpetuating Michael's legacy and continuing his relevancy to a broader range of people, other than hard-core audiophiles.

The estate finding restoring Mike's short films prohibitively expensive is a ridiculous theory. It's a one time cost that is a pittance compared to what they've made and what they stand to make. Good thing they have the sense to at least say they haven't found the source material or something rather than claiming that it's too much money.

The expense of a project is always weighed and balanced against the possible financial outcomes. If there is not much chance of making profit from a project, then it isn't fiscally responsible to spend an outlandish amount of money on it. People forget that the Executors work for the beneficiaries, not the fans. Whilst fans are trading in black market resources, latching onto leaks, crowd-funding concerts and restoring videos and concert footage themselves, there is no motivation for the Estate to spend inordinate amounts of money on doing the same thing.....especially if they don't have access to, or ownership of, the raw materials in the first place.

The Estate's statement (from their FAQ Page) that “And even among the fans, we see disagreement on whether unreleased material should be finished to make them commercially viable or not" shows that they visit and read fans’ comments posted here on MJJCommunity, because there have been a lot of fans’ disagreements here about that matter.

At least, the Estate takes very seriously and utilizes feedback that comes from fans, which is a good thing.

HappyLeeHL;4302753 said:
If they really care about the video quality of short films, they'd have plenty of options. Even if NONE except Thriller is technically restorable due to the lost of original film reels or special effects (which I call BS, Michael has lots of music videos, Thriller can't be the only one), they can still send the uncompressed tape rip or video file (before DVD compression) to guys like me. Some people have seen my MV upscales this year, and believe me, it would be so much better if I can get the uncompressed video file. It won't be true HD for most videos, but almost, at least way better than most people have seen.

HappyLeeHL;4302762 said:

As far as I know, the Estate does not accept such offers from fans, even when they are willing to do it for free.

Besides, the Estate has been working with specialized video technicians from NASA when it comes to restoring, up-scaling and releasing Michael Jackson’s videos (music videos, concerts, etc).

These NASA technicians, who are responsible for restoring, up-scaling and generally improving video footage for NASA, they have helped the Estate on certain video releases in the past, and they will do the same for possible, future video releases from the Estate.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:
The Estate's statement (from their FAQ Page) that “And even among the fans, we see disagreement on whether unreleased material should be finished to make them commercially viable or not" shows that they visit and read fans’ comments posted here on MJJCommunity, because there have been a lot of fans’ disagreements here about that matter.

At least, the Estate takes very seriously and utilizes feedback that comes from fans, which is a good thing.

As far as I know, the Estate does not accept such offers from fans, even when they are willing to do it for free.

Besides, the Estate has been working with specialized video technicians from NASA when it comes to restoring, up-scaling and releasing Michael Jackson’s videos (music videos, concerts, etc).

These NASA technicians, who are responsible for restoring, up-scaling and generally improving video footage for NASA, they have helped the Estate on certain video releases in the past, and they will do the same for possible, future video releases from the Estate.
You Really Believe that😳😳😳😳
Soooo....we cant get 4k film restoration but they're dealing with nasa for 1 concert show? (Sigh) yall believe anything the estate throws out there.

You keep talking about the Estate as if it's a hobby project that John and John run in their free time during weekends. They are being paid millions of dollars to do this job. The Estate earns hundreds of millions yearly. You're telling me they cannot invest in a legal and a creative department that function separately and at the same time?

Mj's children should be included in all future projects.

And what makes you think MJ's children are interested in handling the future projects? The critics of Estate always come up with this nonsensical statement that "MJ's kids should take over" like Prince, Paris and Blanket are dying to take over the MJ estate, when they have their own careers.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:

I don't think they were NASA. It was just some company that has worked for NASA.

And what makes you think MJ's children are interested in handling the future projects? The critics of Estate always come up with this nonsensical statement that "MJ's kids should take over" like Prince, Paris and Blanket are dying to take over the MJ estate, when they hasve their own careers.
Did I say they were "dying" to? Why can't they be involved? Paris wasn't even aware of the scream project. They should be involved if they want to. I think we would have better projects if they had some input. They know what the fans want.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:
Lately, Michael Jackson Russia has used my video remaster in their Earth Song 2020 video. It's not exactly the Estate, but close. I'm honored that they used my remaster, but I think it's better if they give me a little credit, since it's the right thing to do.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:

Better NOT, judging from what they've done with Wembley DVD. It's worse than VHS quality, with color and texture completely messed up. Let's hope they won't ruin any more videos.

restoring films cost alot of money. also not all them can be restored because it's depends on what they was shot on during the time. i agree. michael has alot of short films then just thriller. smooth criminal or billie jean. those has been the most popular videos this year also including TDCAU and HTW.

Lately, Michael Jackson Russia has used my video remaster in their Earth Song 2020 video. It's not exactly the Estate, but close. I'm honored that they used my remaster, but I think it's better if they give me a little credit, since it's the right thing to do.

Better NOT, judging from what they've done with Wembley DVD. It's worse than VHS quality, with color and texture completely messed up. Let's hope they won't ruin any more videos.

Congratulations on that, but try to keep your expectations in check regarding the Estate.

I mean, the Estate apparently has signed long-term contracts that legally bind them to working with certain companies/technicians (including the ones from NASA) when it comes to restoring, up-scaling and improving the quality of such potential, future video Michael Jackson's releases.

'Many of the decisions made by the Estate are rooted in Michael’s philosophies. He has said that, “If Haley’s Comet passed over once a month, no one would to look at it.” The Estate doesn’t want Michael to be permanently on a car radio or on an app 'where people are jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. Michael is special.'

I love this philosophie. And this is why I respect the estate. Just gives me a sort of comfort because in doing this, and thinking this way - they really do give me michaels presence if this makes sense. Reading this link made my day. It kind of recaptured some of the ole' magic that has gotten lost With the Internet!
You can sometimes think that's him still talking. But one thing IS for certain, I know they are honouring his wishes, Still following his style and they are doing it to the best of their abilities.That makes it really special. Thanxs estate. :flowers:

Last edited:
the estate didn't even bother to provide the film source for the TDCAU 2020 project. instead we got another SD footage here.

this just shows how unbelievable lazy they are. not caring at all for the fans.

damn this clueless estate.

the estate didn't even bother to provide the film source for the TDCAU 2020 project. instead we got another SD footage here.

this just shows how unbelievable lazy they are. not caring at all for the fans.

damn this clueless estate.

The reason could be that they haven't scanned original film yet. It could be that this new version of TDCAU was made in a very short time so they didn't have time to scan the footage.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:
... the Estate has been working with specialized video technicians from NASA when it comes to restoring, up-scaling and releasing Michael Jackson’s videos (music videos, concerts, etc).

Houston calling mjfrency... Houston calling mjfrency... *BEEEEP*
The NASA has not worked on restoring Michael Jackson videos. *BEEEEP*
verzerr.gif

As Galactus123 already said, it was some restoration service that also has works for NASA in their portfolio.

From the estate's statement regarding the Wembley concert:

"We ultimately chose a lab that has developed its own proprietary technology for doing this kind of work (including restoration for NASA of VHS footage) in order to make the visual experience the best it can be under the circumstances."

That's all they ever said about it.
Calling it a "lab" and mentioning the alleged NASA reference is of course just blah blah to make things sound good.

Last edited:
wendijane;4303074 said:
'Many of the decisions made by the Estate are rooted in Michael’s philosophies. He has said that, “If Haley’s Comet passed over once a month, no one would to look at it.” The Estate doesn’t want Michael to be permanently on a car radio or on an app 'where people are jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. Michael is special.'

This is one of the most absurd and no-sense thing I've ever read on internet.
Beatles, Queen, Prince, Elvis (and even Mozart or Beethoven!) are releasing regularly special issues.
Michael Jackson's legacy will not be preserved with releasing 1 album every 10 years.

p.s. I just listened, once again, to this beautiful mix of AL Capone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_P4VRebNjU) and I was wondering WHY Estate didn't releasing this song as single (with Moonwalker montage)...
Oh right, maybe because "Michael is special"...... :rolleyes:

Mj's children should be included in all future projects.

Mj's kids are not even interested in defending their father against abuse allegations.

Let alone...in managing something as important as his own brand.

If the family Jackson, whoever they are, get involved, MJ's brand will go down as a cheap and tacky brand, because that's what the Jacksons are.

Back