The Motown Years - Which songs were best sung by Jackson 5?

InvincibleMJ

Proud Member
There are many songs by the Jackson 5 that were originally sung by other artists or were later covered by other artists. Which versions do you like the most? Do you listen to other versions as well?

For me some of the Jackson 5 versions were the best out there and some not so much. The Jackson 5 "Who's Lovin' You" and Michael's "Ain't No Sunshine" are my favorites but Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amour" was better.

Who's Loving You, Little Drummer Boy, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Someday At Christmas, Give Love on Christmas Day.

Not J5, but little MJ, but I also prefer MJ's version of With A Child's Heart to Stevie's.

I always loved "Never can say Goodbye"-but I went nuts over Gloria Gaynor's version (going WAY back to my disco days).

Last edited:
I looooove With A Child's Heart by MJ. It was a good while before I learned that it was Stevie Wonder's.

Smokey Robinson's Who's Lovin' You is good, but again, I prefer MJ's version best. :)

I read on Wikipedia that Jackson5 or Jacksons did one of my favourite Stevie wonder songs, I Was Made to Love Her.

But can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know if true?

The ones Michael sang lol
haha-I don't think Jermaine was quite the slouch on "My Cherie Amour" though-

Another one I love is Michael's version of 'Doggin' Around'-although Jackie Wilson is stupendous with that.

(I guess Michael honored Jackie with the lyrics in "Leave Me Alone." oh, and to anybody listening for the first time, I don't think he means he's going to KILL his girlfriend. Lol-was reading the YouTube comments.)

Last edited:
Ain't Nothing The Real Thing - Tammi Terrell & Marvin Gaye

Forever Came Today - The Supreme

Last edited:
Great!!

Thanks so much, don't know why I couldn't find it!

Very different, isn't it.
yes, it is very different-I liked it, tho. Went back and listened to Stevie's a few times after this. I definitely didn't appreciate Stevie enough when I was young.

I've always enjoyed their cover of Feelin' Alright:

Oh, and this one:

Last edited:
What about To Sir With Love and Killing Me Softly?

I wish they were available in better quality.

Another one I love is Michael's version of 'Doggin' Around'-although Jackie Wilson
is stupendous with that.

(I guess Michael honored Jackie with the lyrics in "Leave Me Alone." oh, and to anybody listening for the first time, I don't think he means he's going to KILL his girlfriend. Lol-was reading the YouTube comments.)

Yeah, he sang the heck outta that song. Love to hear lil MJ belting out Doggin'Around.

Yeah, he sang the heck outta that song. Love to hear lil MJ belting out Doggin'Around.
Yeah, I love his "belting" like that. Nothing like it.

And I really love watching/listening to Jackie Wilson-see so much of Michael in Jackie-can just imagine little Michael with his gigantic eyes and wrapped up in the stage curtain absorbing that up close.

Well I like the Jackson 5's "A Fool For You" cover better than the original song by Ray Charles.....
Also Hum Along and Dance by The Jackson 5 is better than Hum Along and Dance by The Temptations. In my opinion.

I was so happy when Jackson 5 version of "You Can't Hurry Love" was released in 2012. I love their version as well as The Supremes' and Phil Collins' version.:wub:

Back