The song Slapstick, what is it about?

MJ Ice Cream

Proud Member
It's the demo of Hot Street but does anyone actually know what it means? I know what slapstick comedy is but the word doesn't make sense to me in the song. Unless it means something that I don't know of? (English is not my language) Sorry, you can close this thread if it's pointless. I'm just curious...

Slapstick is physical comedy.. Like Charile Chaplin! Basically the song is about the joy that type of humor is magical and makes you smile!

This is the first time I've heard this song. I didn't even know it existed. I really like it. It drives you forward from beginning to end. I'm so glad you posted it.

Based on the lyrics it seems he's smitten over a girl who hasn't seemed to have laughed for awhile. Maybe whenever he sees her around she has a down expression on her face. He's trying to convince her that if she gives him a chance at a relationship, he will bring fun and magic and slapstick humor into their relationship and that is the best kind of love relationship she could find...you know...it's what the doctor ordered...laughing is the best medicine kinda thing.

It's not surprising he would call it Slapstick, or single out that type of humor for this song, for it was his favorite kind of humor and it seems he turned to it often when he himself was feeling low.

*goes to listen to the song again* :)

This is the first time I've heard this song. I didn't even know it existed. I really like it. It drives you forward from beginning to end. I'm so glad you posted it.

Based on the lyrics it seems he's smitten over a girl who hasn't seemed to have laughed for awhile. Maybe whenever he sees her around she has a down expression on her face. He's trying to convince her that if she gives him a chance at a relationship, he will bring fun and magic and slapstick humor into their relationship and that is the best kind of love relationship she could find...you know...it's what the doctor ordered...laughing is the best medicine kinda thing.

It's not surprising he would call it Slapstick, or single out that type of humor for this song, for it was his favorite kind of humor and it seems he turned to it often when he himself was feeling low.

Aw I like that description of the song. It sounds about right. :) Maybe I'm trying to look into the lyrics too much and I'm missing the whole picture.

Your response makes me wonder if you heard the second version of the song "Hot Street" lyrics changed but the bases of he sound remained..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpmnXfBXjc

^^sounds like someone describing what he's seeing on the Sunset Strip or maybe outside Studio 54.

I didn't know Hot Street was originally called Slapstick, lol! Then again, I haven't listened to/heard of many of his songs that didn't make it to albums.

hot street is about a guy picking up a prostitute...

* The song first describes a woman
* Next verse the car slows down, you think it's gonna 'hit' you, SO WHY NOT TAKE A CHANCE?
* CHORUS basically saying Go for it cuz the fantasy will never stop
* Next verse talking about young people laughing at older guys trying to 'get down'
* Chorus again
* Next verse "A Streetwalker" is a prostitute.. Big spender "Money".. And describes the girl with a heart of gold but no one cares..
* (Verse and chorus repeats)
* Verse talks about just trying to have fun and seeing the prostitutes on the corner with neon lights.
* Verse talks about the excitement of being with a prostitute being so great so "why not take a chance?"
*Chorus

Come to think about it, he has a decent collection of songs about prostitution.. 'Streewalker' 'Do You Know Where Your Children Are' 'Hot Street'.. Now I kind of want to pay more attention to other songs that I may be overlooking.. lol

sometimes I wonder how different Michaels public image would have been if he did release his more controversial topics out earlier in his career.. By HIStory he was bold with songs like "Little Suzie", "Morphine" etc.. I think by that time he was over some of the image he tried building and was just bluntly hones.. Maybe if he was that excruciatingly honest earlier on... maybe just maybe it would have helped his image.

When I say honest, I mean less censored...

Back