The ‘YAY I JUST HEARD MICHAEL ON THE RADIO’ Thread

I went to my favourite place for a massage on Friday afternoon. Everyone is familiar with the relaxing instrumental "mood music" that plays in the background of massage parlours, aren't they? Well....I was both surprised and pleased to hear instrumental "Heal the World" (acoustic guitar), instrumental "I'll Be there" (piano organ) and instrumental "Stanger in Moscow", one after the other!! I was actually beginning to think that it was an entire CD of MJ's instrumentals, but after SIM, other non-MJ songs were played. They were all beautiful.

Side note: the title of this thread needs to be fixed...the formatting is messed up. ;)

Last edited:
Celebrated the 30th Anniversary of Dangerous on my radio Show last night Dublin South FM 93.9 Saturday nights at 7pm Irish time also played lovely one by the Jacksons. I play Michael every week on my show.

I have heard "there must be more to life than this" with Queen surprisingly on the radio a few days ago.

I hear MJ everywhere and every day. At XGolf today heard Bad and The way you make me feel!

I was in a store at my local mall, and "Streetwalker" came on, followed immediately by "Just Good Friends." Excellent CD selection.

Apart from the dozen or so regular tracks I also heard in the last month

show you the way to go 2 times on 2 different stations
one day in your life also twice again on 2 different stations
a place with no name

I have a really unique one from yesterday! On the morning show on 97.1 The Drive in Chicago, they were talking about things they did in the past that you can't do now (stuff like riding in the bed of a pickup truck), and since they were remembering stuff, they played a clip of Remember the Time! It's a classic rock station and they don't play MJ much (I remember hearing Beat It as part of their tribute when Eddie Van Halen died, but that's about it), so it was a really funny surprise.

I have been having some therapy sessions on my shoulders and arms. The place where I am taking this therapy has Michael on their playlist and I hear him CONTINUOUSLY while I am stretching, working out, etc. it is GREAT to hear his music and it’s great that other people who are there are hearing him, also.

I hear him on the stations I listen to all the time I regularly hear Don't stop til you get enough, Rock with you, wanna be startin somethin [although its extremely shortened on one of the stations, I even emailed the one station that has it cut so bad and they said the audio was 3:30 long and that the album version was only 30 seconds longer and I didn't even know how to respond -.-], thriller, beat it, billie jean, PYT, Bad, The way you make feel, man in the mirror, dirty diana, smooth criminal, and black or white [though the same station that sliced up wbss has recently started playing it without the rap and i'm not happy about it. the other station kept the rap..] I may edit this if I realize I forgot any that come on regularly

Walk right now is the oddest one I heard lately.

For some reason he has hardly had any spins lately, I wonder why. Prince in the meantime gets the rarest of tracks played, MJ should be part of this “elite” too.

Walk right now is the oddest one I heard lately.

For some reason he has hardly had any spins lately, I wonder why. Prince in the meantime gets the rarest of tracks played, MJ should be part of this “elite” too.
Prince released a lot more material than Mike (solo) did and pretty much all of Prince stuff was recorded as an adult. Prince also had protege acts which Mike did not have. Like I still hear Sheila E & The Time played on the old school station and also songs that Prince wrote for others like Manic Monday & Sugar Walls. Children & teen acts are less likely to be played past their heyday. Like I never hear any Little Stevie Wonder on the radio, except maybe Fingertips occasionally. With the J5 I hear 4 or 5 songs played usually and they had more hits than that. There's also the case that with The Jacksons (instead of J5) singles did not have as much pop radio crossover in the USA as Mike did solo. So on the R&B oldies station I hear a lot of Jacksons songs, but on the pop oldies station I only hear Shake Your Body.

@DuranDuran

that’s no reason not to play stuff like the lady in my life, working day and night or who is it which by all means are absolutely world class tracks. Prince has got non singles being played, titles I never even heard about on a regular basis.
sometimes it snows in april even became an absolute classic while it was never a single in the first place. It is now featured in many all time best songs lists.

It is just a case of MJ not seen as a relevant artist by many “elite” radio stations. He was never able to shake of the boyband status and he didn’t play any intruments.

@DuranDuran

that’s no reason not to play stuff like the lady in my life, working day and night or who is it which by all means are absolutely world class tracks. Prince has got non singles being played, titles I never even heard about on a regular basis.
sometimes it snows in april even became an absolute classic while it was never a single in the first place. It is now featured in many all time best songs lists.

It is just a case of MJ not seen as a relevant artist by many “elite” radio stations. He was never able to shake of the boyband status and he didn’t play any intruments.
R&B radio plays Lady In My Life, then and now. I've never heard Lady In My Life on a pop station, even when it was new. Top 40 Pop radio rarely played album tracks back then anyway. The entire point of pop radio was to play singles. It was advertising for a 45 single or an album. Sometimes the single version was different from the album version like a remix. R&B and rock stations did play album songs, they would also play the longer album versions of singles pop radio didn't. The rock radio format was titled "Album Oriented Rock" or AOR. Pop stations did sometimes play non-album B-sides. Today oldies radio & classic rock only play certain hits & certain artists anyway. There's been thousands of hits by many artists and very small percentage are played. Like with Madonna I rarely hear anything past Vogue. That wasn't her last hit. I don't hear any Wings (Paul McCartney) except Live And Let Die, the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed, & Wonderful Christmastime. I can pull up a Billboard chart from almost any time period and the majority of the songs are forgotten today, including some #1s. There's songs that weren't big hits when originally released that are well known today like Bad To The Bone (George Thorogood). It has been used in a lot of movies, TV shows, & commercials.

Also most acts did not release just about every song on their albums as singles like Mike did with Thriller & Bad. The average album had 3 or 4 singles and that started in the mid-1970s. Before then, the average act released at least 2 albums a year, and even 3 or 4 albums a year in the 1960s. So they didn't have time to milk an album with multiple singles. Back then it was also common to release non-album songs as singles. In some years the Jackson 5 had 2 albums, plus solo ones at the same time by Mike & Jermaine. It's been said that the J5 still have over 200 unreleased songs at Motown. The labels back then had the acts constantly recording, especially popular artists. That's how they can release 6 CD deluxe reissues of Beatle albums today with a lot of unreleased songs from the same sessions & alternate versions of songs they did put out.

@DuranDuran
I'm not talking about American radio stations. I am strictly talking about Belgian stations, we only have a handful and Michael hardly gets airplay from the biggest radio stations. Sure Billie jean, blame it on the boogie, ABC and the likes are played but that's about it.
Prince gets airplay from songs that were barely hits or not even released. Nothing compares to you , How come you don't call me, sometimes it snows in April, mountains and many more get regular airplay. For every 3 MJ songs that get played, Prince gets 3 times as much as airplay. David Bowie even gets 5 times as much. These are the bigger stations with musical snobs making the programs. People that diminish Michael's influence in the world of music. People that say Quincy Jones made Thriller big. Don't underestimate the cancel generation.

There are some smaller local stations that focus on "oldies" and there Michael gets a lot of airplay but not on the nationwide stations

Yay, indeed! Coming back from the shops yesterday, went past a delivery van which had the radio on, window open. 'Human Nature' floated out. Those amazing vocals. I was in bad mood and then everything ... just got better. Lovely.

'billie jean' is playing right now on 'greatest hits radio'🥳. this is a uk station that plays classic hits from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. i checked their online schedule, and they also played 'rock with you' earlier 👍

'billie jean' is playing once again on 'greatest hits radio'. what makes it extra special is that it won a viewers choice contest against 'stay' by shakespears sister. both songs were number one in the uk chart on this day in history. the person who called in was a fan who saw him live '84. the presenter was also a fan who is obsessed with watching videos of him online. they joked about attempting the moonwalk:LOL:

this 'makes me feel so good inside' to quote 'p.y.t'💜 michael's legacy is cemented in stone. he will always be recognised for his talent💜

It's not Mike, but I can't believe that Dear Michael by Kim Fields is on the radio right now. I don't think I've heard this on the radio since it was first out. 😀

Not on the radio, but I was walking past the Iron Bar in NYC and heard a familiar drum beat. I stopped in my tracks and went, “Are they playing ‘Morphine’?”

And they were.

By far the craziest MJ song I’ve ever heard in the wild.

I am on vacation right now, doing a mother/daughter road trip to celebrate my mom's retirement and aside from a little bit of Thriller, OTW, and Bad, I've mostly let her control what we listen to the whole time. Naturally, this means I am in major Michael withdrawal since we left last Thursday because, so far, ALL of my 2022 has been dominated by 90% Michael, 5% J5, and 5% the Jacksons, and quite literally no one else. So needless to say I've been missing him.

Well... we ended up stopping at some totally random tiny little grocery store in the middle of no where and, lo and behold, right as we walked in Man in the Mirror started playing.

I screamed. I mean, I legitimately yelped into the sky in happiness. My mother was like, "calm down," and I was like, "I'm a grown ass woman and I don't need dignity if I have Michael." But really, the reason this is so significant to me (since it is insignificant in the grand scheme of the world) is that I've been wildly in love with Michael since January of this year (when my fandom sprung to life out of no where) and this is the VERY FIRST TIME I am hearing him on the radio since then! I have heard J5 once or twice, but never solo Michael. It was an actual thrill, I'm not even kidding! :ROFLMAO:

I need to go and buy a radio! I wonder if they still make radios 🤔.

Back