This is how Michael would sound had his voice matured normally

felipemj

Proud Member

This was something amazing I found. This guy was at Motown and sang the exact same way that Michael in 1972, but sounded fuller (he was already 25), using his chest ressonance attached. His name is Ronald Logan, and he unfortunally recorded only this song before giving up to become a Pastor. Michael re-recorded the song 1 year later(it's in Come And Get It comp), but ends being owned by the original who weirdly sounds like a better version of himself.
What happened with Michael's voice is he became too shy and stressed in his 15s, leading him to lost his head ressonance. That, added with his fear to use his deeper chest harmonics, made him sound like a sheep until the 80s, when he had to relearn to sing and became a totally different singer and voice, except for the ballads.

ps.: excerpt of Michael's version

Last edited:
You prefer Logan's version, that's OK. But to me he sounds like an average soul singer from that era. (And of course he's an adult, while Michael was a child when he sang it.) I'm glad Michael's voice was more unique and more distinct. And honestly, I don't understand how you can say things like Michael should have sounded this or that. Maybe you have realized that many males in his family have high voices. IMO he would have never sounded like this guy. And he shouldn't have either. He had a voice that is pretty unique and distinct unlike this guy's.

Last edited:
Matured normally? Ever heard of tenors?
The boy soprano can become tenor, baritone or have no singing voice whatsoever after puberty. Michael happened to be a tenor (Jacky is a tenor too). The rest is extremely hard work on Michael's part.

He sounded like a sheep until the 80s? WTF?! MJs vocals on Destiny, Off the Wall and The Wiz (to name a few) are utterly sublime.

You are right. I was unprecise, so change 80s for 78. But the sheep thing remained with him his whole life when singing ballads. The day I think is a remark of the quality decline of Michael singing career was in the We Are The World sections, when he was meant to be the star but barely could be heard, sang the chorus timidly, and ended watching Stevie Wonder coming in kicking everybody's ****s

Are you trolling?

no friend. I'm just a fan who, even liking his adult work, thinks Michael was a better singer when he was young, a hard technic in my opinion he didn't stayed with only because he couldn't. I've opened this thread because I was excited to finally find a male adult singer executing that technic well. By the way, you've mentioned the guy doesn't sound like any of Michael's brothers, but this is irrelevant once Michael doesn't either... I used to hear young Michael with a low pitch effect for years and, when I heard this guy, he sounded the same. They (72's Michael and Ronald) use the same pronunctiation, impostation and tricks. That Michael changed his technic in 1973 and lacked power, even in lower notes, is a fact. That didn't happen to Stevie Wonder or Justin Bieber, or even Frankie Lymon in that level, why I think it's not normal.

fozn1i.jpg

Then go listen to Justin Bieber.

BTW, if I remember correctly you are the same guy who called the Smooth Criminal choreography of the Bad Tour amateur. So while I cannot be sure of you motivations, but you do have a tendency to try to be provocative.

I'm done with this thread beacause I'd not like to make the mistake of feeding a troll.

Then go listen to Justin Bieber.

BTW, if I remember correctly you are the same guy who called the Smooth Criminal choreography of the Bad Tour amateur. So while I cannot be sure of you motivations, but you do have a tendency to try to be provocative.

I'm done with this thread beacause I'd not like to make the mistake of feeding a troll.

1) I don't like Justin Bieber songs or voice. I'm just saying his voice and singing technic didn't change as much as Michael's
2) That Smooth Criminal quote was a full sarcastic post, when I also said lipsync was good

Michael has a beautiful tenor. End of story. I am actually happy to hear how he treated his singing voice AFTER the motown era. Much less strain. He had a wonderful, buttery tenor at his disposal - go listen to "She's out of my life", gorgeous head voice. Gorgeous.

Btw, his voice actually matured quite naturally throughout his life as is evident in the TII speech, for example. Every singer has a certain range where they feel most comfortable. (relating to so called 'timbre') They can still hit hit the appropriate note for their voice classification - but every singer has a certain range where his timbre allows for max comfort, projection etc. It's very obvious were Michael was most comfortable since singer/songwriters tend to naturally write songs in the range they are most comfortable in.

Michael wasn't interested in imitating others. There are enough roarers out there - take Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner etc. Instead of a roaring competition in We Are The World, he obviously also sought to set his part apart and went for almost 'angelic' lightness. I actually love that effect in the song. That's the fun part of We Are The World. It's not an opera stage and Michael was bright enough to never 'compete' with others - he let his voice do the talking. (sorry for the pun). He is musical enough to know how to convey something. That is what musical brilliance is - not who sings the lowest and the loudest. And that is also the great advantage that someone has who has used their body as an instrument for most of their life.

The human voice is also extremely unique and it is so largely useless to say who would have sounded in which way - which is why that comparison is largely useless.
Michael had wonderfully trained vocal chords for most of his life and to this day I consider his voice one of the most recognizable ones on this planet.
Take Maria Callas for example - her voice is largely not considered 'beautiful', yet she was extremely apt at conveying extremes of emotion. Michael also has that emotional gift.

There's a reason that a lot of my classical music colleagues also admired and loved Michael - including his voice. There is a universal quality to him and his musical ability that unites. If a Leonard Bernstein can appreciate Michael Jackson - then it's those who don't who become 'the sheep'.

Matured Normally?? I'm not too sure what that means. His voice matured 'normally' is what we heard him to be.. He was a full grown man and his childlike nature had nothing to do with him physically not maturing. The Jackson family as a whole have soft voices.. Listen to Jackie speak!! That is just Michaels voice, and honestly people make jokes about his voice being high etc.. but really, was it? I mean from the mid 80's on he showed low registers on a regular bases..

Listen to his vocal coach speak about his voice, Seth worked with ALL of them, he knows he's the greatest.. Your knowlege or lack of a vocal capability is a bit frightning considering you are here seeming to try to teach.. The man on the record does not use the same vocal capabilities as young Michael either, he simply used the same motown Jackson flavor to the song the same way New Edition did, that does not say anything about the actual vocal..

Michael was no sheep, he was the heder that everyone after fallowed

Michaels voice was not abnormal, it was supernatural!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The Jackson family as a whole have soft voices.. Listen to Jackie speak!!
the guy I've posted sings higher than any of the jacksons will ever sing. by the way I'm not talking about the notes, but the ressonance. All Michael's brothers have their chest voices, except maybe for Jermaine, who wasted his life trying to emulate the Marvin Gaye roughness

Listen to his vocal coach speak about his voice, Seth worked with ALL of them, he knows he's the greatest..
I have that since the leak and his lows are a mix of ET and old woman

The man on the record does not use the same vocal capabilities as young Michael either, he simply used the same motown Jackson flavor to the song the same way New Edition did, that does not say anything about the actual vocal..
when you say he, you are saying The Funk Brothers, who played on the record. If you say Ronald doesn't use the same vocal "capabilities" from Michael, please say one thing he didn't do

^ this guy means that MJ's vibrato sounds sheepish, thats why he says that he has retained it in his later years on ballads, i disagree with his whole argument.

I can just say michael's voice did mature normally he just prefered to sing like he did cuz he knew us fans adored it and he sang the best like that. The same also with his talking voice

The only singer I've heard that sounds like a sheep or goat is Shakira!

Why would his voice have to be normal!? That's what makes it so unique impossible to immitate in a accurate way.

"Matured normally".....uh, most of the Jacksons have soft/higher-pitched voices. And that said, Michael's speaking voice (when he chose to use it) was quite deep. His higher-pitched singing voice was a result of Motown keeping him singing the higher notes during the stage of his voice breaking, thus allowing him to attain that range. Had he stopped trying for those notes and practicing, he would've mellowed out to more of Marlon or Jermaine's range. Thankfully he kept that brightness and pitch to his singing voice! That's a lot of hard work and practice right there.

How lucky for Michael and us that his voice "didn´t mature naturally" then.

"Matured normally".....uh, most of the Jacksons have soft/higher-pitched voices. And that said, Michael's speaking voice (when he chose to use it) was quite deep. His higher-pitched singing voice was a result of Motown keeping him singing the higher notes during the stage of his voice breaking, thus allowing him to attain that range. Had he stopped trying for those notes and practicing, he would've mellowed out to more of Marlon or Jermaine's range. Thankfully he kept that brightness and pitch to his singing voice! That's a lot of hard work and practice right there.

but the guy is singing only half a note under Michael. It's not about range, it's about the color used. Boyz II Men sang Heal The World in the same key as Michael, and the guy also gives the impression of being singing lower than Michael, cause the voice is again fuller. In the other way, Brian Wilson from The Beach Boys with his uncecessary falsetto gave the impression, like Michael, of being singing super high notes, when wasn't

Guys why being so offensive, it's just his opinion, I don't mind that although I disagree with him, he can still freely tell his opinion about it. :)

Well whatever. I am sooo grateful for Michael's voice- it is heavenly imo. And btw his voice did mature naturally- just listen to his solo in The Wiz- he goes for a lower register in that song and that was 1978. He just worked very very hard to have that incredibly unique voice he always had. That guy on that song sounds very- well - ordinary. And Michael is very very unique and I like it that way!

Back