This Time Around [MERGED]

Liberian Man

Proud Member
This song should've been a single & had a video! Imo I think it wouldve put a boost on history because it was so different & hip hop like,im sure alot of ppl still dont know mj did a song with b.i.g. & it wouldve help his urban community at least after the trial i think..that video wouldve been so tight! Does anybody think they could come up with a concept of how it wouldve been had they did it?
5c8b6d1e1b210fed82534f77769fab7b.jpg

Re: This Time Around

It was a promo-only single in the USA and Europe.
But besides the rap feature gimmick it's not really a great song. A classic album filler.
It only made the niche charts because of the club and urban remixes.

US Chart (1995/1996)
Billboard?'?s Dance Music/Club Play Singles: Peak 18
Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay: Peak 23
Billboard Rhythmic Top 40: Peak 36

No chart entry in Europe.

one of the best songs from HIStory. Love it!! a video would've been amazing :yes:

Such a great chorus. There should have been a video for every song in HISTory. Even a film based on the concept of injustice, but thats me being greedy ;)

Such a great chorus. There should have been a video for every song in HISTory. Even a film based on the concept of injustice, but thats me being greedy ;)
Kmsl! A film...thats a little streched but scream,(2ver)tdcau,stranger in moscow,come together(lol),childhood,yana,earth song,2bad,& history all had videos. 9 out of 15 for 1 album should be glorified! I wish he did something else like moonwalker but more serious with history

Sounds somewhat dated now. One of the weaker cuts on the album.

I love the song but Michael giving a 'proper' release of a song that has a rap promoting killing is not really something I could see MJ do..

Sounds somewhat dated now. One of the weaker cuts on the album.
Of course it is. I never said anything about rerelease i said i wish they did more with it then & it is by far a weak cut unlike come together which wasn't even recoreded then,tabloid junkie, & money dont amount to this time around!

I recently watched
freshsquare-210x210.jpg
, a film about "The history of urban fashion from its start on cotton plantations to its spread to corporate America." Starring Kanye West, Damon Dash, Karl Kani. It helped to understand the revolution that became 'hip hop' or rap music. What drew me to this was the name Damon Dash. He was the money that took Michael Jackson to court, to sue him, because of Michael's brother, Randy Jackson. It was during the time of the trial in 2005, involving Gavin Arvizo, that Randy Jackson and his business partner tried to buy the Beatles Catalog, on behalf of Damon Dash.

Anyways, "This Time Around," doesn't really fit into this genre of hip hop or rap. It's a good song, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't fit and I can see why nothing more became of the song, other than what it did!

I recently watched
freshsquare-210x210.jpg
, a film about "The history of urban fashion from its start on cotton plantations to its spread to corporate America." Starring Kanye West, Damon Dash, Karl Kani. It helped to understand the revolution that became 'hip hop' or rap music. What drew me to this was the name Damon Dash. He was the money that took Michael Jackson to court, to sue him, because of Michael's brother, Randy Jackson. It was during the time of the trial in 2005, involving Gavin Arvizo, that Randy Jackson and his business partner tried to buy the Beatles Catalog, on behalf of Damon Dash.

Anyways, "This Time Around," doesn't really fit into this genre of hip hop or rap. It's a good song, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't fit and I can see why nothing more became of the song, other than what it did!
Wtf...randy did that?? Smh

The Story of This Time Around

"By the way, to elaborate a bit on the Notorious B.I.G. session, it was kinda like this. Michael used to call people to ask them to participate on albums. It was interesting knowing that nearly anyone on the planet would come to the phone if it were Michael calling. Anyway, I heard rumors that B.I.G. was going to come, and I was excited about that! I knew that I would be the one to record that, as I had recorded nearly all of that tune, "This Time Around".

So, Dallas and I were expecting him any minute, and pretty much on time, Notorious strolls in. He was quite an imposing figure when he walked in, as he was quite popular at the time. I had no idea what to expect from him in terms of attitude, but he seemed nice when he walked in. No problem. But almost immediately, he blurted out, "Yo, Dallas, can I meet Mike?" To which, Dallas replied that he thought so. Biggie went on to talk about how much this opportunity meant to him, as Michael was his hero. Anyway, Dallas tells him that we're going to lay down the rap first, so Biggie heads in the booth, we get some headphone levels and get ready to start recording.

So, we hit the big red button (on a Sony 3348 machine), and away we go. During his first take, Dallas and I looked at each other, because it was spot on. wow. I was impressed, and so was Dallas. We listened back, and Dallas was like, "Wow, I think we got it". As I recall, we took another take for good measure, but I'm fairly certain that we ended up using the first take. So, Notorious comes in, and asks if he can meet Michael now. We sent word to the back room where Michael was working that Biggie was finished and wanted to meet him.

Simply for security, Michael's security would enter and make sure that no one was in the room that shouldn't be, and once that was confirmed (it was just me, Biggie and Dallas), Michael came in. Biggie nearly broke out in tears...I could tell how much this meant to him. Well, Michael could have this effect on anyone, even the most hardcore rappers! Biggie was tripping up on his words, bowing down and telling Michael how much his music had meant to him in his life. Michael was, as always, very humble and kept smiling while Biggie just went on and on how much he loved Michael. I watched Biggie just become this big butterball of a man, and it was really very sweet to witness. After all, we are all just people.

Michael finally asked to hear what we had done, and we popped it up on the big speakers and let her go. Michael LOVED it and was excited to tell Biggie that! "Oh, let's hear it again", I recall Michael saying, and we listened again. Michael just loved it...and thanked Biggie for coming all the way from Philadelphia. Biggie asked rather sheepishly whether he could get a photo, and Michael agreed. A shot was taken, we listened again, and Michael thanked Biggie. Michael said goodbye and stepped out, leaving Biggie standing there looking completely stunned.

It will always remain a great, great memory."

Re: The Story of This Time Around

Aw, I always love to read this story.
I love how Michael was and still is the best to ever do it, but never let it go to his head in a negative way.
Every current act in the music industry (and many from the past) could be in a room, but if Michael walked in they would be a mere afterthought.
In fact, they'd probably be tripping over each other and stampeding to meet Michael LOL. :D

Thanks for the excerpt. I never get tired of reading stories (again & again) about his recording sessions.

From a 1995 interview, here is how Notorious B.I.G. described the very first moment he learned that MJ wanted to do a song with him, but also he continues telling how he reacted when MJ expressed to him his full satisfaction with the result:

“… I got off the airplane somewhere in Texas and answered my pager. They were like, Michael Jackson called, he wants to do a song with you. I just laughed ‘cos I thought they were just frontin’… in the studio when I did the song but when I was about to leave, he [MJ] came through, listened to the joint, said he loved it and I jetted …” (Notorious B.I.G.)

I am very satisfied with the way Notorious B.I.G. raps his lines that fit so well to the song!

Pink Diamond Princess;4163347 said:
Aw, I always love to read this story. I love how Michael was and still is the best to ever do it, but never let it go to his head in a negative way. Every current act in the music industry (and many from the past) could be in a room, but if Michael walked in they would be a mere afterthought. In fact, they'd probably be tripping over each other and stampeding to meet Michael LOL. :D

I would stampeding everyone of them too :tease: Hope we will have the chance to see this picture one day.

mj_frenzy;4163386 said:
Thanks for the excerpt. I never get tired of reading stories (again & again) about his recording sessions. From a 1995 interview, here is how Notorious B.I.G. described the very first moment he learned that MJ wanted to do a song with him, but also he continues telling how he reacted when MJ expressed to him his full satisfaction with the result: “… I got off the airplane somewhere in Texas and answered my pager. They were like, Michael Jackson called, he wants to do a song with you. I just laughed ‘cos I thought they were just frontin’… in the studio when I did the song but when I was about to leave, he [MJ] came through, listened to the joint, said he loved it and I jetted …” (Notorious B.I.G.) I am very satisfied with the way Notorious B.I.G. raps his lines that fit so well to the song!

When Michael is calling, everybody's thinking it's a joke but when they hear popcorn sounds on the phone, they know that's not a joke anymore lol

Re: The Story of This Time Around

That's a cool story man. I love it!

I love the song but Michael giving a 'proper' release of a song that has a rap promoting killing is not really something I could see MJ do..
Didn't Mike shoot at the soldiers with a machine gun in Smooth Criminal and he also shot the guy with a pistol that was going to attack him? Then he kills Joe Pesci's drug dealer character in the long version. I never understand why people complain about song lyrics when action films are full of killing and stuff blowing up and they're often the big moneymaking blockbuster movies. Same for video games. You could say the Moonwalker video game is violent, since the main character has to get rid of the henchmen to save the kids.

^ My response to that was Michael has always played the line of visual violence while never really showcasing it In his music.. what I mean by that, it really wasn't his nature to have violent threats in his music yet still show violence in videos.. I cant think of a song that preaches violence but only as speaking of a victim of it. (Blood on the dance floor/ Little Suzie / Smooth Criminal) all speaking of victim. It was the first (that I can think of right now) that a song was pro violence.. That and the insinuation of gun shot towards Tom Sneddon in DS (Same album)

Bad

^ My response to that was Michael has always played the line of visual violence while never really showcasing it In his music.. what I mean by that, it really wasn't his nature to have violent threats in his music yet still show violence in videos.. I cant think of a song that preaches violence but only as speaking of a victim of it. (Blood on the dance floor/ Little Suzie / Smooth Criminal) all speaking of victim. It was the first (that I can think of right now) that a song was pro violence.. That and the insinuation of gun shot towards Tom Sneddon in DS (Same album)
Bad the song implies fighting though, or at the least there's going to be a fight if the other guy don't "watch your mouth" . He threatens his opponent "Your butt is mine", "I'm giving you a count of 3 to show your stuff or let it be", "if you don't like what I'm saying then won't you slap my face". People don't say things like that to be friendly, lol. It's like kids at school scheduling a fight after school or something. It's the opposite of Beat It, where he tries to stop a fight.

Re: Bad

Bad the song implies fighting though, or at the least there's going to be a fight if the other guy don't "watch your mouth" . He threatens his opponent "Your butt is mine", "I'm giving you a count of 3 to show your stuff or let it be", "if you don't like what I'm saying then won't you slap my face". People don't say things like that to be friendly, lol. It's like kids at school scheduling a fight after school or something. It's the opposite of Beat It, where he tries to stop a fight.
I've never thought about those lyrics in that way. Hmm

I've never thought about those lyrics in that way. Hmm
The whole "I'm bad" was basically street slang that means "I'm tougher than you, and since you wanna talk like you can beat me, then prove it". Well obviously that's challenging the other person to a fight. "Prove you can beat me up or shut up" or in this case "show your stuff or let it be". I remember a local radio around the time Bad first came out, did a remix and mixed it with LL Cool J's I'm Bad which came out around the same time, and if you've heard LL's song, it's a similar boasting type of challenge.

The whole "I'm bad" was basically street slang that means "I'm tougher than you, and since you wanna talk like you can beat me, then prove it". Well obviously that's challenging the other person to a fight. "Prove you can beat me up or shut up" or in this case "show your stuff or let it be". I remember a local radio around the time Bad first came out, did a remix and mixed it with LL Cool J's I'm Bad which came out around the same time, and if you've heard LL's song, it's a similar boasting type of challenge.

Ha! I've never seen or heard this before. LL Cool J has been around that long?

Duran Duran I think your example of Bad speaks EXACTLY to what I was saying.. the only actual violence he speaks of is him as the victim f it.. "Why don't you slap my face"

Saying "count of three or let it be" is the opposite of violence lol... Letting something be, letting it go...

Bad is not about fighting - it's about telling his friend that if he does not stop trying to act/talk like a bad @$$ because he can be locked up (in fact MJ will bring him in) for acting that way and being a clean person is actually being cool not a being a thug..

"The Word Is Out
You're Doin' Wrong
Gonna Lock You Up
Before Too Long,
Your Lyin' Eyes
Gonna Take You Right
So Listen Up
Don't Make A Fight,
Your Talk Is Cheap
You're Not A Man"

"You're butt is mine" can be interoperated as "I'm gonna whip that @$$" but in the context of the song it's actually much more likely that he is speaking from the point of authority... Back in the 80's a lot of movies and TV shows would have cops say things like "You're butt is mine punk" before arresting a criminal.. "Gonna lock you up"

^^That doesn't make any sense because the song was supposed to be a duet with Prince. Mike & Prince were going to "battle" or "fight" to see who was the baddest. Why would Mike be a cop telling Prince to stop what he's doing? Mike telling the other guy that he would fight him doesn't necessarily mean that Mike's character is a troublemaker, but that he can defend himself if necessary. That the other guy thinks Mike's soft and is easy to beat and Mike is saying it isn't so. "I'm tellin you, better watch your mouth". It's like in rap, there's battle raps where's there challenges & put downs. Mike was also planning to do a song with Run DMC at the time that didn't pan out. By using the term "I'm bad", Mike was probably trying to appeal to the hip hop fans as rap was beginning to become mainstream popular. I recall people making jokes about Mike claiming he's bad and the video, because he was a guy wearing a lot of makeup and seemed feminine being the leader of a gang.

Yeah, it's definitely a battle song. Who's the baddest or best.

(Wierd that people thought Michael wrapped in black leather would be in any way feminine. My heavens.)

Back