Thriller 3D Update

dam2040;4230703 said:
I personally haven’t been able to find any UK listings.

Have you tried the IMAX website? They showed lots of screenings were supposed to take place at cinemas across the UK over the past weekend but they were previews. The film is not released until 21st September and IMAX hasn't added listings for those dates yet.

I heard the radio advert for the 'Clocks' film over the weekend and there was no mention of Thriller. I also saw the poster on the side of buses. no mention of Thriller. The cinema websites don't mention Thriller. The MJ Estate themselves appear to not be able to confirm Thriller will be shown in the UK. The cinema chains' customer services deny Thriller's going to be shown, even though IMAX was saying it would be.

I'm not saying that it should all be about Thriller but this is one of the stealthiest releases I've seen. Even the people who know about its existence (us) are scratching their heads trying to figure out whether it was being shown or not. If I had been near an IMAX last weekend I would have gone to see the film and reported back on whether Thriller was shown or not, but I couldn't. As nobody else has done that I assume that nobody here bothered. If the IMAX website lists Thriller for next weekend I will aim to go just to find out, even if the cinema chains don't acknowledge it.

Don't expect them to upload it on Youtube. It would hurt the sales if they released it on Blu-Ray.

They probably will eventually but only after a bluray /UHD / paid streaming release has been out for a while.

Qualty looks amazing - wow - this picture looks insane...

Can't wait to see this. Will be amazing.

One (maybe irrelevant and stupid) question. :)

When this is released in 4K - can the Estate somehow put this on youtube without loosing all the views the Thriller video they have uploaded now have? - Or will they have to leave both versions on youtube? - And if so, will they then be able to combine views somehow? - for charts and certifications?
Technically speaking, they should just be able to add the 4k source video to have that as an additional quality setting. But I imagine doing that, they'd have to have the cut exactly the same as the original. Timing, audio etc.

If you've followed the thread, you would have also seen my previous post where The Estates' response was that they couldn't give further information or confirm the UK release of the Thriller short - Hence my question. The IMAX website appears to have one title, and one title only for the movie which includes the addition of the '(WITH MICHAEL JACKSON'S THRILLER)' suffix.

I completely agree with you. The smoking gun here is the BBFC. Hopefully it's going to happen. But, movies only have a limited run. I'm guessing this new movie will be around here for what, 6 weeks? I may be wrong. Hopefully they move fast.

I quoted you when you said "UK hasn't been listed anywhere". That doesn't make sense to me considering all the discussion around the IMAX website listing multiple cinemas in the UK showing it. Anyway, moving on...

Cineworld today have confirmed their schedules for the next week. House is showing all week at my local IMAX but not a single 3D screening (they are all 2D).

I feel the likelihood is that the UK are not getting Thriller 3D OR it will be paired with a different film further down the line. I wonder what the significance of the UAE showing Thriller 3D from September 28th is though...

Have you tried the IMAX website? They showed lots of screenings were supposed to take place at cinemas across the UK over the past weekend but they were previews. The film is not released until 21st September and IMAX hasn't added listings for those dates yet.

I heard the radio advert for the 'Clocks' film over the weekend and there was no mention of Thriller. I also saw the poster on the side of buses. no mention of Thriller. The cinema websites don't mention Thriller. The MJ Estate themselves appear to not be able to confirm Thriller will be shown in the UK. The cinema chains' customer services deny Thriller's going to be shown, even though IMAX was saying it would be.

I'm not saying that it should all be about Thriller but this is one of the stealthiest releases I've seen. Even the people who know about its existence (us) are scratching their heads trying to figure out whether it was being shown or not. If I had been near an IMAX last weekend I would have gone to see the film and reported back on whether Thriller was shown or not, but I couldn't. As nobody else has done that I assume that nobody here bothered. If the IMAX website lists Thriller for next weekend I will aim to go just to find out, even if the cinema chains don't acknowledge it.

Yeah nothing within 50 miles of Birmingham and no mention of Thriller anywhere. Doubt it's coming with 'Clock' to be honest

New combined trailer for Thriller and House just appeared on Twitter.

I will not have the chance to experience this in IMAX unfortunately...

So I will have to wait for the BLU-RAY og 4K UHD release. - Hopefully it is released this year before halloween.

Hope very much they have remastered the Making of Thriller too, but I doubt it. - But I just don't see them release Thriller alone, there needs to be something more. Maybe if Ghosts have been remastered into 4K they will make a double release next year if Ghosts is released next year.

I will not have the chance to experience this in IMAX unfortunately...

So I will have to wait for the BLU-RAY og 4K UHD release. - Hopefully it is released this year before halloween.

Hope very much they have remastered the Making of Thriller too, but I doubt it. - But I just don't see them release Thriller alone, there needs to be something more. Maybe if Ghosts have been remastered into 4K they will make a double release next year if Ghosts is released next year.

They did show Making of Thriller with Thriller 3D last year and it wasn't in HD. I'm sure they will include it when they release it on Blu-Ray.

What I'm so confused over is that several of the US IMAX cinemas that are showing House are presenting it as IMAX 2D (much like the UK screenings). So is Thriller only in 3D and the main feature is 2D?

Given that the IMAX website still lists House, and Cineworld in the UK remain coy about answering questions on Thriller, I think I'll just go along to the Friday morning screening and see for myself there is no Thriller.

My local IMAX is also giving away a Thriller poster for anyone seeing this.

Well, it turns out that the IMAX theater near me is playing it after all. Now I just need to decide which night to go.

According to IMAX.com/thriller3D all 400 US locations will be showing Thriller in 3D before the feature film plays in 2D. So the theater workers will be handing out 3D glasses solely for Thriller and the House With A Clock Movie will be in regular 2D

Hi MJ Fam!
We know a lot of you are anxious for information about where you can see “Thriller 3D in IMAX.” The short film will be shown in all 400+ IMAX theaters in the United States. “Thriller 3D in IMAX” will also be shown in select theaters in Canada and the United Kingdom starting on September 21. For those of you in the US, UK, or Canada, you can head to http://imax.com/thriller3D to find a theater near you and buy tickets.

“Thriller 3D in IMAX” will also be shown in select markets in the Middle East and Latin America before The House with a Clock in its Walls, so the dates of the showings are dependent on when that film opens in those countries.

We hope you enjoy the experience!

Best,
Alicia
MJOnline
The Official Online Team of The Michael Jackson Estate™

Nice to have an official statement that clarifies something.

Very nice that all 400+ IMAX theaters in US are showing Thriller !! - Great move from The Estate. Exellent promotion and a great way to get the video known.

I hope everyone who gets a chance to see it will enjoy it very much!

Leeds is the closest to me and you can't use Compare The Meerkat, God Damn it ?

HI GUYS ?

I'm not a 3D fan, nor am I much of a movies guy, so I won't be going to the cinema to watch Thriller 3D. I hope they eventually release Thriller in blu-ray and also upload the HD version on Michael's youtube account. I'm interested in how this will impact the sales/streams of both Thriller (song) and Thriller (album).

I am absolutely not a fan of 3D either - but as the preview on MJ's facebook acount and other trailers have shown - their is also a 2D version.

The 4K version in 2D is by far the best thing in this project and I can't wait for it to be released on Blu-Ray and 4K UHD in a 2D version.

No need at all for a 3D version, but without that version I'm not sure they would have restored it into 4K - so fine by me. - We all win this way since we get both versions.

Showed someone I work with the trailer for this and the first thing they said was 'His skin colour is wrong'. They are a film/video buff and brought up the colour grading being too blue/cold. Interesting to me as many here seem to think it was only a point raised by people who are constantly negative toward Sony/MJ Estate.

Showed someone I work with the trailer for this and the first thing they said was 'His skin colour is wrong'. They are a film/video buff and brought up the colour grading being too blue/cold. Interesting to me as many here seem to think it was only a point raised by people who are constantly negative toward Sony/MJ Estate.

The IMAX trailer looked fine to me. Did you show both versions?

I remain confused despite the clarification from the Estate. If you search the IMAX website, as they advise you to do, it brings up several UK cinemas but I could only find ONE in the UK that has "with Thriller 3D" written beside it and that's the IMAX at Bluewater. I'm going to assume that all the other IMAX cinemas in the UK are showing Thriller in 2D before House. This isn't out of the question given the BBFC rated both Thriller 3D and Thriller 2D. Though I would be disappointed slightly to not enjoy the 3D effect, I am still delighted to see it at my local IMAX which just so happens to be one of the world's largest.

That said, and with tickets for Friday morning purchased, I still have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that this is actually happening. The company running the cinema say they know nothing about it.

the color is off for sure, there is no question.. That said, in theater setting (dark) blues alluminate a bit differently. What I am saying is that it shouldn't be as noticable.. Plus, it will be 3D, blues & reds are used specifically to create 3D effects.. He wears a lot of red in the video so the blues have to be heightened during the 3D rendering process. Some of that would be lost with the glasses.

We are trippin' out too much off these pics

so its going to play before a movie plays.. from the website I went to (for me) it would play only before one specific movie. one that I have 0% interest in watching lol

the color is off for sure, there is no question.. That said, in theater setting (dark) blues alluminate a bit differently. What I am saying is that it shouldn't be as noticable.. Plus, it will be 3D, blues & reds are used specifically to create 3D effects.. He wears a lot of red in the video so the blues have to be heightened during the 3D rendering process. Some of that would be lost with the glasses.

We are trippin' out too much off these pics

The colour is off in the video the Estate published. The one IMAX published looks much better. But as you say, this was not intended to be seen on a bright computer screen or compressed social media format.

so its going to play before a movie plays.. from the website I went to (for me) it would play only before one specific movie. one that I have 0% interest in watching lol

I'm leaving after Thriller ends.

Back