Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

Anyone can quickly tell me in what year (and month) each song was recorded/produced?

Can I just say The Toy/Best of Joy is a very average track. There is a reason why it never made an album.

I am also a bit suspicious that the 2008 vocals are not even from this period (despite what we've been told)

Poor song.

Can I just say The Toy/Best of Joy is a very average track. There is a reason why it never made an album.

I am also a bit suspicious that the 2008 vocals are not even from this period (despite what we've been told)

Poor song.
The recording we got of Best of Joy on the Michael album was always known to be Michael's final recording as far as I know, as he had been revisiting and reworking the song for eventualy inclusion on whatever his next album was to be. So I don't find anything surprising about this being a different vocal take from when the song was first conceived decades earlier.

It's personally my favorite song off the Michael album, so I find it interesting we get to see how the song evolved now (even if not by so much).
Gotta admit I can't take the lyrics "I am your toy, I am your boy" seriously though 🤣

The recording we got of Best of Joy on the Michael album was always known to be Michael's final recording as far as I know, as he had been revisiting and reworking the song for eventualy inclusion on whatever his next album was to be. So I don't find anything surprising about this being a different vocal take from when the song was first conceived decades earlier.

It's personally my favorite song off the Michael album, so I find it interesting we get to see how the song evolved now (even if not by so much).
Gotta admit I can't take the lyrics "I am your toy, I am your boy" seriously though 🤣
I wonder if he changed those lyrics in the aftermath of the false allegations

The Toy sounds amazing. I can’t wait to hear the full version on Friday.
The Toy is crap
I wonder if he changed those lyrics in the aftermath of the false allegations
I doubt it. In 2008 those lyrics would have just been outdated. He was early 20s when he wrote it.

I can't imagine a 50 year old Michael singing a love song and coming out with I am your boy 😂

I am so freaking mad! I was glad with the tracklist. But the quality is beyond horrible of some songs. And the reason i am mad is with the TOY, why the heck did they delete that one verse?!!!! This was the estate their chance to shine ✨, too bad we haven’t seen much sunshine!

I am so freaking mad! I was glad with the tracklist. But the quality is beyond horrible of some songs. And the reason i am mad is with the TOY, why the heck did they delete that one verse?!!!! This was the estate their chance to shine ✨, too bad we haven’t seen much sunshine!
Mixing is bad. Yep. I'm glad I only preordered the SACD/MOFI vinyl for the disc 1.

Not every song is meant to be a hit. That doesn’t mean a song is a bad song because it isn’t meant to be a hit.

I agree but this song is not even "album track" material hence why it never made the cut.

It is up there with beautiful girl and the way you love me as being poor.

"Loving you" as an example is so much better if we were to compare that type of song.

I don't wanna go round in circles as we all have our opinions so I shall respect yours.

I agree but this song is not even "album track" material hence why it never made the cut.

It is up there with beautiful girl and the way you love me as being poor.

"Loving you" as an example is so much better if we were to compare that type of song.

I don't wanna go round in circles as we all have our opinions so I shall respect yours.
They never made the cut and were "poor" but all 3 of those songs were on the list of what MJ wanted to finish while "Loving You" sat collecting tape warp for 24+ years... Crazy.

I'm curious about Alex (@Korgnex 's) opinion on the mixing since he probably heard other versions as well.

They never made the cut and were "poor" but all 3 of those songs were on the list of what MJ wanted to finish while "Loving You" sat collecting tape warp for 24+ years... Crazy.
Very true....

Now what happens when we finally hear Buffalo Bill and it is an absolute banger?

Do we riot?

Very true....

Now what happens when we finally hear Buffalo Bill and it is an absolute banger?

Do we riot?
Idk lol, but imagine Buffalo Bill on Invincible. It could easily eclipse half that album, but it would look pretty crazy on the charts with Justin Timberlake, The Neptune's, and Brandy. Like making a club banger out of "Rasputin"

Back