Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

Not really Justin Biebers songs are far better than those terrible mj songs
Someone who doesn't worship Michael Jackson. Watch out,the cult is comin',and they won't stop til they get ridiculous...oh I meant enough 🤭
(Just kidding,but some fans really act like a damn satanic cult)

Some positives:

+ Songs previously not available on Spotify are now available (PYT Demo, Sunset Driver etc.)
+CD packaging is actually pretty cool (not the vinyl unfortunately)
+Who Do You Know is wonderful. One of my new favourites.
+Great to hear the earliest stages of the creation of Behind the Mask and The Toy. Peoples expectations don't allow for a 'demo' to be, well, a demo. It's a demonstration of an idea, and that's what these songs are. Why would they be on the same level as Best of Joy and Behind the Mask on the Michael album? The Michael album, no matter it's faults, contains the most up-to-date versions of those two tracks.
+Same goes for Lovely Way. I've only listened once and ill admit, it didn't exactly jump out at me. But it's an idea, a demo. It was written before Off the Wall. It didn't make it, therefore, onto Destiny, Off the Wall, Triumph and Thriller. What were people expecting? Michael didn't think it was better than any of the songs he'd written for these albums, so we shouldn't expect it to be at the same level. There's a reason no one was meant to hear it; Michael valued quality, and only chose a handful of his own material for his early solo efforts.

Some negatives:

- Some songs (Carousel etc.) don't sound great. As I said, I've only listened once on streaming, and haven't played the CD as of yet, but they seem to sound worse than previous versions.
- Obviously, the inclusion of CGOTR isn't ideal. However, as I said in a previous post a few days ago, Michael certainly wasn't averse to including previously released tracks on new albums. It's good that's it's now easily purchasable for younger people like myself who don't own The Ultimate Collection and other compilations from the 2000s.

Overall: Pretty satisfied personally.

Some negatives:

- Some songs (Carousel etc.) don't sound great. As I said, I've only listened once on streaming, and haven't played the CD as of yet, but they seem to sound worse than previous versions.
- Obviously, the inclusion of CGOTR isn't ideal. However, as I said in a previous post a few days ago, Michael certainly wasn't averse to including previously released tracks on new albums. It's good that's it's now easily purchasable for younger people like myself who don't own The Ultimate Collection and other compilations from the 2000s.

Overall: Pretty satisfied personally.
How dare you mention "negatives"?
You are a fake fan ,MiChAeL would be DissApOInted 🤠🤯🥳😈👿👻🤡💀
Every fan needs to like everything. Even if MicHaEl shat on your porch you would have to say it smelled like Vanilla cookies 🥰🥰🤢🤮
(Just trolling)

Watch out,some people from here might eat you alive for having such an opinion!
You have to bow to Master Michael didn't you know?🥴🥴
pft. I've been a fan of Michael's since I was 4 years old....when the original Thriller album came out. Most of the people here weren't even alive when that album dropped. My entire life time has pretty much happened since Michael's adult solo career started off. I'm not afraid to speak my mind and I won't bow down to kiss ass.

I've seen it all, and as disappointing as T40 is, this is nothing compared to what's happened before this....even at the hands of Michael himself. Bring em on. :cool::ROFLMAO:

I don’t think anyone’s ever said or implied such a thing. In fact, quite the opposite: most people are raving about “Who Do You Know,” which sounds nothing like any of the styles you described.

Also, saying “if another artist made this song” doesn’t really work since the expectations and styles are not the same. If Elton John made “Jam,” his fans would probably be confused as hell.
Well I'm exaggerating a little bit obviously. And you say most because it's not all. Not every person loves it. Which is fine, subjective music taste and all that, but some bad takes are just that, very bad.

And now you've made me think of Elton John Jam, and for that I'll never forgive you.

Why, that'd be as weird as J5/Jacksons guy making a song all about Morphine! Could you imagine how weird.

@Mister_Jay_Tee

I actually think that is really well done. The guitar solo is great. The singing is good, the MJ dancing is mimicked well. Yet is also feels like a parody but that is only because there is only one guy capable of doing MJ the way MJ does it and that is MJ himself naturally 😁 everybody else replicating MJ on stage looks silly except MJ himself

I really really hope there is an actual finished recording of behind the mask available. There is so much potential in that song.
I was convinced we would have gotten the fully finished song in high quality and not a demo version but ok I’m getting over it by now lol.

Someone who doesn't worship Michael Jackson. Watch out,the cult is comin',and they won't stop til they get ridiculous...oh I meant enough 🤭
(Just kidding,but some fans really act like a damn satanic cult)
It’s fine if you dislike it but man come on. There’s no need to spread that kind of energy here and especially now. Let’s celebrate the fact that we have gotten a real MJ release in almost over 10 years even if it is somewhat lackluster on some fronts.

At first it sounded a bit jarring to me but after a bit I noticed it less and it seems flow a bit better.
For me it is because I finally see it for what it is. It is a totally unexpected style for MJ and initially it almost felt like a joke to me. Now I see it as a song that seemed just part of a fun recording session, almost improvised. Lyrically it doesn’t make sense I think but there are some glimpses of really good lyrics here and there. It is comfortably the weirdest MJ track in his discography.

I don’t know if you are familiar with Tom Waits but this is a track that he would actually perform if he was to do an MJ cover. Preferably in a smokey bar with empty wine bottles stacked on the table and candlelight everywhere.

It sounds both uplifting and an ode to life as well as a depressing farewell to life. Hard to explain

For me it is because I finally see it for what it is. It is a totally unexpected style for MJ and initially it almost felt like a joke to me. Now I see it as a song that seemed just part of a fun recording session, almost improvised. Lyrically it doesn’t make sense I think but there are some glimpses of really good lyrics here and there. It is comfortably the weirdest MJ track in his discography.

I don’t know if you are familiar with Tom Waits but this is a track that he would actually perform if he was to do an MJ cover. Preferably in a smokey bar with empty wine bottles stacked on the table and candlelight everywhere.

It sounds both uplifting and an ode to life as well as a depressing farewell to life. Hard to explain

Oh yeah love Tom Waits. I see exactly what you mean haha.

It’s fine if you dislike it but man come on. There’s no need to spread that kind of energy here and especially now. Let’s celebrate the fact that we have gotten a real MJ release in almost over 10 years even if it is somewhat lackluster on some fronts.
But the fact the estate puts something out, just for the sake of putting something out, rather than take the time to make it special and worthwhile is what's frustrating.

To many, myself included, it seems more time and effort was put into past releases. For this one, they just selected a handful of stuff, didn't do much to it, and at the same time, not bothering to promote said project. At least they gave a shit for Bad25 and Xscape.

Why celebrate mediocrity?

But the fact the estate puts something out, just for the sake of putting something out, rather than take the time to make it special and worthwhile is what's frustrating.

To many, myself included, it seems more time and effort was put into past releases. For this one, they just selected a handful of stuff, didn't do much to it, and at the same time, not bothering to promote said project. At least they gave a shit for Bad25 and Xscape.

Why celebrate mediocrity?
Yeah, as happy as I am to finally receive something, I can’t help but mourn the idea that it could’ve been so much better. The promotion (or lack thereof) doesn’t bother me as much as the sound quality and weird choices for disc 2. (I’m not against reissuing previously released songs, but some tracks should’ve been on disc 3.)

I’m happy celebrating new MJ, and a solid Thriller reissue, but the pros and cons are very equal in my eyes.

Back