Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

OK I'm going to keep it brief but I would say after never getting the demos and thinking I was getting a brand new album nearly how wrong was I!
I am of the opinion now that unless the estate/Sony are saving the best unreleased tunes for a new posthumous studio album then to quote Michael *THIS IS IT!*
You know I don't agree with negativity and try not to be but to say I feel *robbed* of my money is an understatement.
I love *who do they know* think that could be a real good commercial release! However what a lovely way to go is just a demo, very rough at that.
The rest, I did not like at all. Starlight keep to Thriller , glad Michael/Quincy carried on working on it.
Wtf with carnt get out of the rain! Terrible.
Sorry one seriously sad and disheartened fan here.
Just makes me think now in future not to get excited and accept what we have been left.
I mean shout, we've had enough and many other hardly heard songs fully finished , especially most of invincible deserve to be promoted and heard again.

I would even capture Michael's voice and re record with full instruments but keep the melody to make these songs timeless. I think sometimes they where to electronic heavy.
What are your views.
Again who do you know 9/10 but rest I can leave.

Tbh makes me realise how much I miss Michael as he would (if he decided) re worked and finished some of these gems right up to date.
Plus the sound quality on disc2 is terrible.
I know the estate/Sony after Michael album don't want to make any mistakes again but these are just terrible some of them. 😞😓😩😤

Sorry one seriously sad and disheartened fan here.
This made me feel sad. 🙁

I'm so sorry this has been such a let-down for you.

What are your views.
Mixed feelings which are not yet fully formed. I've only listened to half of Disc 2 and I love it so far. This stuff is mostly new to me so I don't have the same history with it as others do. That said, I can understand people's frustration with Carousel. CGOOTR I do like! Minority opinion, lol. What can I say? I really enjoy it. WDYK was completely new to me, I love it and it's probably my fave of the ones I've listened to so far. She's Trouble is great.

As far as how MJE has handled this project, I am deeply unimpressed. I don't generally pay attention to the Estate or the projects. Musicals, biopics, that stuff doesn't interest me. It's lovely for those people that want that, I'm so pleased that the musical is doing so well - that's awesome. Feel nervous at the prospect of a biopic but they are clearly going to do it so ... 🤷‍♀️

But the T40 thing has been a botch job and that's not good enough. Still, T40 is doing OK with streaming so there's that. Michael sells himself without any help from MJE, it would seem.

I am of the opinion now that unless the estate/Sony are saving the best unreleased tunes for a new posthumous studio album then to quote Michael *THIS IS IT!*
If they are planning another album I hope they do it sooner rather than later although I'm not hopeful.

I love *who do they know* think that could be a real good commercial release! However what a lovely way to go is just a demo, very rough at that.
I love listening to demos so I don't mind it sounding rough. It feels like a little insight into the creative process so I'm very happy to be given demo material.

I mean shout, we've had enough and many other hardly heard songs fully finished , especially most of invincible deserve to be promoted and heard again.
This is what I would love but now that I know a bit more about MJE and how they seem to go about things I'm not so optimistic about any of this. I can feel myself returning to my default position which is to not think about this stuff.

Having said that, over the weekend I did listen to 3 unreleased songs and - omfg! - my world turned upside down. I never used to do this, certainly not knowingly.

I would even capture Michael's voice and re record with full instruments but keep the melody to make these songs timeless.
No, I wouldn't be up for this. Do you mean, using musicians like J. Moffat and the others, people who worked with Michael for years and years and knew how he worked and the sounds he liked to go for? Or did you mean something different? I don't have the imagination to understand how this might sound and I'm not keen on songs being 'finished' by other people. I'd honestly rather have a demo or studio outtake. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're getting at here.

I think sometimes they where to electronic heavy.
Yes to this. I love so many of Michael's songs but, yeah, sometimes the electronic thing is a bit too much. That said, I can't imagine Michael's songs sounding different. And I don't usually like remixes. I don't want to change Michael's art. Even with certain things that I'm not so keen on, I'll take it bc that's how Michael wanted to do the song. I don't like everything he ever did but I'm wary of things being changed.

I have to say though how I know that *Who do you know* would be a fantastic new single/release is that I carnt get the melody out of my head! Plus it has such a hook. I know if Michael was still with us this would of be taken to another level completely with maybe ad libs etc but as it is as a demo ! Dam this is as good as some studio worked on songs of today.

My review

Starlight -> We have it for a long time, still it is soo wierd to listen to it. 4/10
Got The Hots -> HAve it for long time, nothing special, I actually never listened to it since it leaked... 3/10
Who Do You Know -> Well, this should be saved for the next regular project, would definetely work as the contemporized version similar to the Xscape version... 9/10
Carousel -> We have it for a long time, Don´t listen to it, same as GTH 3/10
Behind The Mask -> Love it.. Love the wibe, Love the unreleased verse 8/10
Can´Getta Out Of The Rain -> Never more please... 0/10
The Toy -> It is ok.. but BOJ is better 4/10
Sunset Driver -> YAAAS. 10/10 Love this song since UC.. should be remixed for an upcoming album
What A Lovely Way To Go -> should be remixed for an upcoming album 9/10
She´s Trouble - We have it for a long time, Don´t listen to it, same as GTH 3/10

e20t.jpg

You know, i see a lot of people repeating that Got The Hots originally leaked, is this true or are people misremembering that it got officially released on T25?
The Japanese leaked the track onto an official comp album, but since it's not America, it doesn't count.

I promise I'm not trying to be racist

NuTNC's Album Review - Track by Track edition: Thriller 40 Disc 2 [Truth edition]

Old tracks that had been on other albums and leaked on the Internet.
  • Starlight: Mixing is good but the rest is less good (vocals are ok)
    5/10
  • Got the Hots: Listened several times I got the score is
    4/10
    Carousel: Skip it because I've listened to it many times.
    4/10
  • Can’t Get Outta the Rain: Skip it because I've listened to it many times.
    4/10
  • Sunset Driver: New remastered, better sound
    8/10
  • She's Trouble: all included ok
    5/10
New Tracks
  • Who Do You Know: This song is better than the previous tracks
    9/10
  • Behind the Mask (Demo): It is considered less good than the 2010 mix in the Michael album.
    6/10
  • The Toy (Best of Joy - Early Demo): Vocals are Ok but Mixing is a bit bad.
    5/10
  • What a Lovely Way to Go: Considered good, if possible, should call Mark Ronson back to do the official remix version for the reissued Michael album.
    7/10

Last edited:
regarding the previously leaked tracks, is there any song of higher quality or better remastered on T40? some say Starlight or sunset driver might be better than versions we had before.

regarding the previously leaked tracks, is there any song of higher quality or better remastered on T40? some say Starlight or sunset driver might be better than versions we had before.
“Starlight” and “She’s Trouble” are better than the leaked versions by miles. They’re still not great, but they’re better.

“Starlight” and “She’s Trouble” are better than the leaked versions by miles. They’re still not great, but they’re better.
Shes Trouble obviously. Good to know about Starlight though.

Sunset Driver version and rest is worse than previous versions?

They sound muffled for some reason, especially Carousel. It's odd, Carousel sounded fine on T25. What went wrong?

Carousel wasn't on T25, it was (in a strangely shortened version) on the 2001 Special Edition of Thriller plus in its 3:40 version on some King of Pop album variants.

"Can't Get Outta The Rain" actually now has a better master on T40, sounds pretty much like a Grundman master.

Back