Thriller 40th Anniversary

Lol he honestly didn't even need to do this is it.
He didn't need to, but he wanted to...

He didn't want to seem like a wash up. He had to prove he had it, current tense. And go out with a bang. A respectable and honest goal. And really not hard to ask for, we have so many great and capable older entertainers who put on great shows and still are, MJ deserved the right. So did Prince. Too bad they had pain and they were failed so meaningfully in treating that pain.

Refardless and on topic, MJ could easily make a lot of bang for his buck with any concert. Start with BAD, Victory, eventually maybe Triumph. It had great value for us. But Dangerous Tour kept many people happy for awhile.

can someone tell me whether or not the docu included "making of thriller" footage in 4k??

He didn't need to, but he wanted to...
And that's it in a nutshell. Even apart from his financial difficulties, there was the personal and artistic element in all of this. It seems he wanted to do it for his kids, which makes sense. And he most likely also wanted to do it for himself.

He didn't want to seem like a wash up. He had to prove he had it, current tense.
This makes me so sad but I think you're right. Compared to the dizzy heights of the 80's and 90's Michael's career had been much quieter in the 2000's for all the obvious reasons. I can understand why he would want to turn that on its head.

And go out with a bang.
Personally, I think TII looked great in the film. The production values were high, the show looked much better - to me - than the stadium shows. I think it's easier to put together a better designed show in an indoor venue. Michael never really had that opportunity bc his fan base was so big, he was tied to stadiums, he had no choice. But indoors is always better, imo. And he was really going for it, seems to me.

A respectable and honest goal.
Agree 100%.

And really not hard to ask for, we have so many great and capable older entertainers who put on great shows and still are, MJ deserved the right. So did Prince. Too bad they had pain and they were failed so meaningfully in treating that pain.
😢

Refardless and on topic, MJ could easily make a lot of bang for his buck with any concert. Start with BAD, Victory, eventually maybe Triumph. It had great value for us. But Dangerous Tour kept many people happy for awhile.
If I could wave a magic wand I'd be wanting to see BWT 1987 before any later shows. But that probably wouldn't happen bc of the setlist. I'd be interested in seeing the Aintree show. The little clips I've seen are lovely.

In an ideal world, I'd want Triumph before Victory but can see that Victory has more commercial value bc of Thriller.

Last edited:
Don't judge the man. He probably fell from his crib and hit his head on the ground as a baby.
I'll actually give him the greatest kudos and say he was right. The shows do blend together, for one simple reason: the staging was boring for every tour.

In fact I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much all concerts by any artist, have dull staging to me. I just haven't seen any to be impressed by. It's never the priority of course, and it's a minor nitpick. But. This Is It would've been a true milestone and I would greatly have loved to see something truly dynamic and exciting.

I'll actually give him the greatest kudos and say he was right. The shows do blend together, for one simple reason: the staging was boring for every tour.
In fact I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much all concerts by any artist, have dull staging to me.
I would second this. For me, it's not been a problem since I was mostly at rock gigs (small ones, tiny ones) so no expectation of bells and whistles and I just want live vocals and good songs. So fancy stage sets aren't really needed. But for bigger artists playing the big venues, I haven't seen anything that matches the kind of creativity you would see in the theatre for a dance production or a play. And I know that's apples and oranges but it still seems slightly odd to me. That in pop music the presentation is often so lacking, imo.

I just haven't seen any to be impressed by. It's never the priority of course, and it's a minor nitpick.
It is minor, really minor. But it's still a bit weird, imo. I've seen a couple of clips of Prince where he seems to have used the space a bit better than most. But I haven't seen enough to know if he was really innovative. And maybe his shows looked good to me bc so many others are quite predictable.

But. This Is It would've been a true milestone and I would greatly have loved to see something truly dynamic and exciting.
I think it had the potential.

I think it's fair to say that they actually DO have a FULL concert in 4K.

So many clips from so many songs does not make sense if not the entire concert is recorded/filmed.

SO Come on Jacksons and Estate - PLEASE work together. This is a win-win for all. Release the concert.

Footage looks amazing. - So even if they do not have the sound as multitracks from soundboard or what it's called. The sound in the snippets are fine to me. - Just release it. - And if you have more concerts, release a box-set. - Young MJ was much more improvised more impulsive, so those concerts are not exactly the same like Dangerous and HIStory concert. - So it would be very interesting to have more concerts released officially from The Jacksons...

Give it to me !!

The new footage looks outstanding

I just wish they'd release it rather than tease us with snippets of it, like what is the point of holding onto footage of Michael and Paul recording TGIM? What are they waiting for?

It would be a great way to celebrate the 40th anniversary to release the studio footage as an unofficial music video, than to tease us with snippets in a documentary.
This is the opportune moment

I just wish they'd release it rather than tease us with snippets of it, like what is the point of holding onto footage of Michael and Paul recording TGIM? What are they waiting for?

It would be a great way to celebrate the 40th anniversary to release the studio footage as an unofficial music video, than to tease us with snippets in a documentary.
It's almost like it has been done before.
Oh wait, it has. When Paul made that "The Man" video with unseen footage of Michael at his place.

TAKE NOTES, BRANCA.

Yeah, not trying to sound negative here just stating how I really feel but this footage is basically all I want to see and most of the rest of the doc may as well not exist lol. I get this is for general audiences but it really wouldn't take much for them to release full interviews and footage etc.

Who knows maybe something will come out at the time the doc releases

Last edited:
thanks for the tag 💜 I have to promise myself not to look at any more clips. I want to have something to look forward to next month 😆

once again, it’s michael’s own words that are the highlight for me. his ambition and belief in himself is inspiring. I wonder if this comes from the audiotapes of his autobiography? he began working on it during the making of the ‘thriller’ short film.

I’m probably the only one (wouldn’t be the first time 😆) who isn’t concerned with concert footage. I just don’t enjoy live music. I’m so used to the studio versions. Michael looks angry and sounds aggressive singing a song that is supposed to be tender (‘human nature’). the ‘victory’ tour is getting its own documentary anyway.

overall though, this is shaping up to be the best ever. I personally wouldn’t require anything more after this.

thanks for the tag 💜 I have to promise myself not to look at any more clips. I want to have something to look forward to next month 😆

once again, it’s michael’s own words that are the highlight for me. his ambition and belief in himself is inspiring. I wonder if this comes from the audiotapes of his autobiography? he began working on it during the making of the ‘thriller’ short film.
oh, I am so sorry! I didn't stop to think. My bad. If any more clips crop up I promise I won't tag you.

It was quite startling to hear his level of self-belief and assurance and ambition. Not that I didn't know it before but to hear him state it so boldly felt quite different. Amazing!

I’m probably the only one (wouldn’t be the first time 😆) who isn’t concerned with concert footage. I just don’t enjoy live music. I’m so used to the studio versions.
I go both ways on this. I started going to gigs quite early on so very quickly got used to the difference in sound when a singer is live. And I love the excitement and energy of a live performance. Otoh, if an album is re-released and they change the mixing too much I get annoyed. I want it to sound the way it did when it first came out. Otherwise, why bother? I don't even like album versions of songs, usually. I prefer shorter radio edits.

Michael looks angry and sounds aggressive singing a song that is supposed to be tender (‘human nature’).
I can understand why people don't like that too much. I love it, I love the fact that he looks so fierce. I don't like the reason *why* he looks so angry - presumably it's to do with being pushed into doing the tour when he didn't even want to. I don't like that aspect of it AT ALL. But, for the performance, it works really well for me. I have many different interpretations for HN so it doesn't feel weird to me.

the ‘victory’ tour is getting its own documentary anyway.
Fair point.

overall though, this is shaping up to be the best ever. I personally wouldn’t require anything more after this.
You're a better person than me, lol. There's a few more bits that I would like.

I think it's fair to say that they actually DO have a FULL concert in 4K.

So many clips from so many songs does not make sense if not the entire concert is recorded/filmed.

SO Come on Jacksons and Estate - PLEASE work together. This is a win-win for all. Release the concert.

Footage looks amazing. - So even if they do not have the sound as multitracks from soundboard or what it's called. The sound in the snippets are fine to me. - Just release it. - And if you have more concerts, release a box-set. - Young MJ was much more improvised more impulsive, so those concerts are not exactly the same like Dangerous and HIStory concert. - So it would be very interesting to have more concerts released officially from The Jacksons...

Give it to me !!
This. SO much this!

Oh wait, it has. When Paul made that "The Man" video with unseen footage of Michael at his place.

TAKE NOTES, BRANCA.
Yeah, not trying to sound negative here just stating how I really feel but this footage is basically all I want to see and most of the rest of the doc may as well not exist lol. I get this is for general audiences but it really wouldn't take much for them to release full interviews and footage etc.

Who knows maybe something will come out at the time the doc releases
EVERYONE is on fire today!

The different angles also make a big difference compared to the same old jumbotron shots imo. Someone who worked on the lights/stage told me that they had roughly 18 cameras in toronto (probably a mix of tape/patrick Kelly's film?). You can see Patrick's cam at the end of SYB I think.

They probably also chose those songs for the doc because its MJs songs (they dont need Jacksons permission). They were open to a release in 2017 or at least the Jacksons FB page was lol. If they release this it will be the best posthumous content hands down.

MJ tours in the 90s were on autopilot
MJ in the 80s (especially early 80s) was fired up, boundless energy, passion, he was very expressive. Look at his face at 7 seconds when he announces human nature, he was also closer to the audience in terms of communicating. It felt less sterile and rehearsed.

I know what I prefer...

I hope this doc will air on national tv here. Both off the wall and bad docs did but that was before LN, I'm curious.

TAKE NOTES, BRANCA.
Oh is that kind of an unofficial official video for the Man then?

Oh is that kind of an unofficial official video for the Man then?
Yeah. Macca has a series of re-releases of all his studio albums (Wings and solo) that started in 2010. When the time came for Pipes of Peace, the bonus DVD for it had a video montage for the song with footage of MJ at Paul and Linda's ranch in 1981/82.

In fact I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much all concerts by any artist, have dull staging to me. I just haven't seen any to be impressed by. It's never the priority of course, and it's a minor nitpick. But. This Is It would've been a true milestone and I would greatly have loved to see something truly dynamic and exciting.
Precisely this. MJ would perform each song the exact same way for every tour, and it becomes boring once you’ve watched it dozens of times. Sure, later performances of “Human Nature” have extra dancing throughout, but that barely qualifies as a change. If you see him sing it once, you’ve seen all you’re ever gonna see.

MJ deserves a 4K release, but I would be lying if I said it wouldn’t be the most non-exciting project possible. New music and documentaries, to me, have infinitely more long-term value than concerts.

MJ tours in the 90s were on autopilot
MJ in the 80s (especially early 80s) was fired up, boundless energy, passion, he was very expressive. Look at his face at 7 seconds when he announces human nature, he was also closer to the audience in terms of communicating. It felt less sterile and rehearsed.

I know what I prefer...

I hope this doc will air on national tv here. Both off the wall and bad docs did but that was before LN, I'm curious.
The Dangerous Tour is autopilot?

Delusional. No other word for it.

Precisely this. MJ would perform each song the exact same way for every tour, and it becomes boring once you’ve watched it dozens of times. Sure, later performances of “Human Nature” have extra dancing throughout, but that barely qualifies as a change. If you see him sing it once, you’ve seen all you’re ever gonna see.

MJ deserves a 4K release, but I would be lying if I said it wouldn’t be the most non-exciting project possible. New music and documentaries, to me, have infinitely more long-term value than concerts.
I'm not gonna say all that....

There's joy in repetition sometimes.

Back