Thriller 40th Anniversary

They always respond like that, with a seething contempt
It's an interesting way to communicate with your core customer base. I appreciate that they want to draw in new fans to Michael's work but there is no getting away from the fact that the existing fanbase forms the solid core of your customers. Insulting them, gaslighting, patronising them, displaying contempt, attempting to infantilise them ... it's all so very, very 'interesting'.

Between all this and their "envy of the estates" comment, it just goes to show just how much their pride, greed, slothfulness, and egotism have all conspired to cripple their good standing in the fandom's eyes. And to make matters worse, they're not going to change as long as Branca's still around.

I wish there was a way to make ALL fans stop supporting the estate…
I think there is a way.... same thing you did with the email...we should just start to boycott them & everything they stand for. Wish we could get branca tf outta there!

I think there is a way.... same thing you did with the email...we should just start to boycott them & everything they stand for. Wish we could get branca tf outta there!

there is no way because ALL the fans have to do it. there is no way to reach out to all of them.

I wish there was a way to make ALL fans stop supporting the estate…
That's just not going to happen.

As it is, I'm not busting at the seams to see this documentary Anyway. We will see it, and it won't be that impressive. It's not gonna be Sonic Fantasy, it's not gonna be The Beatles - Let It Be. It's not even gonna be This Is It. It'll be a simplistic, basic fluff piece with lots of contemporary views and about 6 minutes of footage. All from a guy who said lots of irate things about MJ in the not at all recent past.

I mean, who really ever goes back to the Spike Lee crap? Aside from the 5 minutes of HD footage, and even then, idk, I can still see it in SD, more stuff, longer. And if you're @AlwaysThere then seeing one concert once in your life is like seeing all concerts for your entire life, for all time

I don't see it as necessary to engage with these Estate chumps. They'll do what they want and they're certainly not gonna switch up over some emails. Maybe some people were irate to them, they certainly are on Twitter, often. Not an excuse to return that energy, but an explanation. They admittedly were dealt a bad hand 4 years ago, they'll find ways to make profit off us later. I just hope it makes MJ look as good as can be.

I mean, who really ever goes back to the Spike Lee crap? Aside from the 5 minutes of HD footage, and even then, idk, I can still see it in SD, more stuff, longer.
Wait, hold up. Spike's docs are really well put together. I watch them every now and then, especially Bad 25 which is a favorite of mine.
(@AlwaysThere you're almost losing your position of MJfan I despise the most to this guy here)

And if you're @AlwaysThere then seeing one concert once in your life is like seeing all concerts for your entire life, for all time
Who let them crackheads have access to the internet anyways?

Wait, hold up. Spike's docs are really well put together. I watch them every now and then, especially Bad 25 which is a favorite of mine.
(@AlwaysThere you're almost losing your position of MJfan I despise the most to this guy here)

Who let them crackheads have access to the internet anyways?
They're not bad at all but the knowledge is so basic. Otw at least was way less of an effort by far, all I can remember is Weeknd clips and the HD footage. It's like actively downplayed what's basically his most cohesive and smooth album. I feel like it's set up all the bad takes about it now. Maybe that and the lack of outtakes. Anyway..

Bad has good info about the music videos mostly. You see and hear more than you've ever wanted to know. Which is the main reason I think the Bad era takes the lead, every facet of it from beginning to end is fully realized, even when it's compromised (Like the album cover). There was no limit like with earlier efforts or scandals or cancellations like in the later records. Everything happened, it was all Michael, all the way through. At the height of his performing power as well. Musically he did a bit more later, but then, again, a lot of the best moments of those records came from the Bad era. It just all aligns in place.

And I've really digressed. Anyway. Have I killed you before?

Have I killed you before?
Nope, but "Spike Lee crap" hit hard since I love Bad 25 lol

Yeah, Spike's docs are basic af. Some talking heads and some shiny new footage sprinkled in. Not in depth at all.
True, but I think Spike's plan wasn't to be in depth, but showcase the influence of the album. It works for me.

Nope, but "Spike Lee crap" hit hard since I love Bad 25 lol

True, but I think Spike's plan wasn't to be in depth, but showcase the influence of the album. It works for me.

Yeah I'm not saying they are unenjoyable to watch, I'm just looking for something different in a documentary personally. That's why I'm not really interested in the Thriller doc, from previews it seems more of the same in that regard.

Yeah I'm not saying they are unenjoyable to watch, I'm just looking for something different in a documentary personally. That's why I'm not really interested in the Thriller doc, from previews it seems more of the same in that regard.
Not gonna lie, I agree with you regarding the Thriller doc. I need Sonic Fantasy on streaming asap.

It's an interesting way to communicate with your core customer base. I appreciate that they want to draw in new fans to Michael's work but there is no getting away from the fact that the existing fanbase forms the solid core of your customers. Insulting them, gaslighting, patronising them, displaying contempt, attempting to infantilise them ... it's all so very, very 'interesting'.

Incredibly funny to me that they probably have at least one person looking at the posts on here, literally every response on the official twitter (the posts on there border on parody) to look at and they still act like we're the problem lol

Spike Lee did a bit too much 'blackwashing' in my opinion; giving so little attention to people like Rod Temperton and influences like Bee Gees, Carpenters, Walt Disney, etc. but instead putting some basketball player (!) in it.. smh
I believe George Nelson is even more 'woke' so not expecting an honest documentary from him too

Spike Lee did a bit too much 'blackwashing' in my opinion; giving so little attention to people like Rod Temperton and influences like Bee Gees, Carpenters, Walt Disney, etc. but instead putting some basketball player (!) in it.. smh
I believe George Nelson is even more 'woke' so not expecting an honest documentary from him too
You really said Kobe Bryant was some ball player...?

So george is really making us wait almost a year for this doc? Why not uh release it with the anniversary album you're selling like you did with Bad25...
I've heard plenty of criticism about Bad25....this aint it lol.

I welcome this comment from Nelson George but am slightly confused. Not sure how hard it was to understand Michael as a Black man very much invested in his community, his history, his committment to the story of Black people generally and Black / African Americans in particular. Certainly in his adult solo career there was no confusion as far as I could see. Michael was always very upfront about his many and various influences including Charlie Chaplin, Three Stooges, Walt Disney. He didn't hide his admiration for Marcel Marceau. But to be so surprised, as Nelson George seems to be, that Michael was so connected to his identity as a Black man is ... um, kinda weird, imo.

Anyway. Time stamp 15m 15s for brief comment on the doc which is specifically on the making of Thriller.

18m 23s for comment on Michael as a Black man:

He also believes MJ was a nonce and has been consistently trashing him for years so I'm not all that interested in what he's gotta say lol
oh, I know. Believe me, I have zero interest in Nelson George. But the man has made / is making the doc and this tweet just caught my attention. I thought people might be interested.

I kind of laughed, tbh. Nelson George realises that Michael was actually Black and didn't mind who knew it. Yay! Hold the front page, lol. His comment on wishing he had known this when he was younger ... I have MANY thoughts about that but don't wanna get into it.

I said I welcome the comment but that's bc I'm being polite and restrained, lol.

Last edited:
oh, I know. Believe me, I have zero interest in Nelson George. But the man has made / is making the doc and this tweet just caught my attention. I thought people might be interested.

I kind of laughed, tbh. Nelson George realises that Michael was actually Black and didn't mind who knew it. Yay! Hold the front page, lol. His comment on wishing he had known this when he was younger ... I have MANY thoughts about that but don't wanna get into it.

Yeah, a lot to unpack there lol

I am not allowing post #4,880 to go unnoticed. this is a clear example of the anti blackness that exists on this very board (and the ‘fan’ community in general), towards michael prior to the late eighties.

@Hiker i’ve reported this post. I ask that the appropriate disciplinary actions are taken.

Back