Thriller 40th Anniversary

Michael is known for being a major reference to black people for having broke so many barriers and opening doors in a very segregated time and my man wants to know about how Walt Disney influenced MJ...

I need some tea lol
Michael Jackson HATED race barriers and talked about his diverse influences ALL the time, that was basically his whole mission. So to deliberately make it seem like his influences and legacy was merely 'black' is not right I would think..? Spike Lee is known for this. Lol I didn't expect anyone to disagree

I am not allowing post #4,880 to go unnoticed. this is a clear example of the anti blackness that exists on this very board (and the ‘fan’ community in general), towards michael prior to the late eighties.

@Hiker i’ve reported this post. I ask that the appropriate disciplinary actions are taken.
Anti-blackness?? You mean my post about Spike Lee? OMG

Michael Jackson HATED race barriers and talked about his diverse influences ALL the time, that was basically his whole mission. So to deliberately make it seem like his influences and legacy was merely 'black' is not right I would think..? Spike Lee is known for this. Lol I didn't expect anyone to disagree
They were not merely black, but his legacy is especially black. As I said, he opened doors to black people in the business.

I am not allowing post #4,880 to go unnoticed. this is a clear example of the anti blackness that exists on this very board (and the ‘fan’ community in general), towards michael prior to the late eighties.

@Hiker i’ve reported this post. I ask that the appropriate disciplinary actions are taken.
@Victorious @83magic let's stay respectful in our comments while keeping in mind everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes. I mean he was a good basketball player but still a basketball player. And that obviously doesn't justify him being in a Michael Jackson documentary
Kobe knew MJ personally and even spent time at neverland....
Does it really matter what his career was? Kobe learned so much from Michael. If he were here today he would fit right in the Thriller doc imo.

They were not merely black, but his legacy is especially black. As I said, he opened doors to black people in the business.
You are absolutely right that he opened doors for black people, mainly MTV, but how does this make his legacy escpecially black? He opened doors for so many different people. Michael Jackson was about bringing people together while Spike Lee and George Nelson divide people into colour

Last edited:
Kobe knew MJ personally and even spent time at neverland....
Does it really matter what his career was? Kobe learned so much from Michael. If he were here today he would fit right in the Thriller doc imo.
I obviously know, I am a basketball player since 1992. He is absolutely welcome in a documentary on MJ but not if the people who were actually important to MJ's albums are ignored because of Spike Lee's ideology

Well but yeah what would you call it?
Not a stupid and ignoramus thing like woke or blackwashing.
He hated race barriers but he did entirely love "black" music. He was a black man who loved his race and his influences that were black, James Brown, Nicholas Brothers, Jackie Wilson. He engaged in hip hop constantly and basically helped introduce it to all corners of the world. He wanted all people to ENJOY "black" sounds. That's what the hatred of race barriers is for.

Meanwhile, he could enjoy every genre, even the "white" ones. And there was no need to stigmatize that. And we don't need to talk about what most musical influences even are. So basically, yeah, this was a pretty non nuanced take. Probably not accurate either, I'm sure there was plenty of mention of Caucasian elements; Rod Temperton was at odds with the estate so there's your reason for lack of reference there.

And as for Kobe; he was one of MJs few friends. More than just "some ball player". Who would you think they should've gotten, Lionel Richie?

Last edited:
Spike Lee did a bit too much 'blackwashing' in my opinion; giving so little attention to people like Rod Temperton and influences like Bee Gees, Carpenters, Walt Disney, etc. but instead putting some basketball player (!) in it.. smh
I believe George Nelson is even more 'woke' so not expecting an honest documentary from him too
bruh I can tell you are so virgin

You are absolutely right that he opened doors for black people, mainly MTV, but how does this make his legacy escpecially black?
You just said it yourself.
Before him, MTV refused to broadcast music videos from black artists. That's just one example of various situations MJ and other black artists had to deal with. He was the first (I know there were others before him, but not as strong) to be able to start breaking these walls and open the path for himself and others to come.
He is transcendent, yes, but he was a black artist who grew up within the segregated and racist industry and managed to break through all that. Elvis didn't have this issue, The Beatles didn't have this issue, Led Zeppelin didn't have this issue. That's my point. He is a staple to the black culture.

He opened doors for so many different people.
Yeah, most of them (if not all) being black. There were never closed doors to white acts, ever, and he didn't do much for the LGBT+ community as he wasn't inserted in their movement.

It makes no sense to release the thriller documentary at the end of the year the thriller40 hype is long gone

It makes no sense to release the thriller documentary at the end of the year the thriller40 hype is long gone
It's time for Thriller 41

With The Girl is Mine Demo still left off

But now you get the demo for Show You The Way To Go, Someone in the Dark, and For All Time!

The Thriller short film had premiered on December 2, 1983. Obviously, they're gonna release it around its 40th anniversary.

Maybe there'll be an accompanying physical release of the Making of Thriller, too.

I wasn't looking forward to the documentary that much anyway if I'm honest. We've probably seen all the new/rare footage in the recordings we hav
Same.

I have zero interest in the documentary. It will be mostly about the impact Thriller made. I have no interest in some contemporary artists talking about the impact Thriller had on their careers.

I want some in depth analysis behind the creation of each song. But sadly that won't happen, so truthfully, I am not bothered if this documentary never comes out.

It would still make sense to release the thriller documentary and making of Thriller Halloween is just a wish thought

I think every good documentary that comes out is a good thing. The fans (even the critical ones) gave positive reviews from the fan events. I am still interested in the reasons what caused the delay. But a documentary about the best-selling album of all time is timeless, and now tying it to the timing of the video's 40th anniversary makes sense. Maybe the video will hit the billion on YouTube by that time as well. No matter in each, there will also be a boost in the charts and generate new fans.

I think every good documentary that comes out is a good thing. The fans (even the critical ones) gave positive reviews from the fan events. I am still interested in the reasons what caused the delay. But a documentary about the best-selling album of all time is timeless, and now tying it to the timing of the video's 40th anniversary makes sense. Maybe the video will hit the billion on YouTube by that time as well. No matter in each, there will also be a boost in the charts and generate new fans.
Fair point. I always thought they might do something this year. In the run-up to T40 I was convinced some of the activity would be centred on this year rather than last autumn. Where I got confused is I was expecting a coherent announcement to tell us what was going to happen. Six months ago I still thought MJE more or less operated in a logical, organised, normal way, lol. I'm not so deluded these days and have no expectations of anything at all. But a doc that links back to autumn 1983 and 'the making of ...' is fine. For myself, I'm not interested in it but I really hope it'll be a good product that other people can enjoy and I definitely want it to get an audience even beyond Michael's fanbase. That would be awesome.

Not a stupid and ignoramus thing like woke or blackwashing.

He hated race barriers but he did entirely love "black" music. He was a black man who loved his race and his influences that were black, James Brown, Nicholas Brothers, Jackie Wilson. He engaged in hip hop constantly and basically helped introduce it to all corners of the world. He wanted all people to ENJOY xblack" sounds. That's what the hatred of race barriers is for.
I called it 'blackwashing' (note the quotations) since (IMHO!) Spike Lee did the opposite of what's been called 'whitewashing': 'to alter...in a way that favors, features, or caters to white people'. It's fair criticism on his documentaries on MJ and I am not alone. The way you called me out on my opinion is very cowardly, especially since you are a prominent critic yourself. I am a black man myself, my parents were actually from the same (supposed) region as The Jacksons. I don't like the Identity Politics coming from the US, what I called 'woke'. Won't use it again cause I have no interest to discuss politics. However how Spike Lee portrayed MJ was very one-sided, I can't lie about it.

Michael Jackson was a black man, proud of it, inspired by Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Temptations, all Motown stuff obviously, Gospel, worked with black producers, did experience racism etc. etc. etc.

BUT 'Michael Jackson' (and his albums) obviously also didn't exist without Walt Disney, Edgar Allen Poe, Steven Spielberg, Rod Temperton, Fred Astaire, Bob Fosse, The Bee Gees, The Carpenters, Paul McCartney, Tom Bahler, Tchaikovsy, Bruce Swedien, Jerry Hey, Steve Lukather etc. etc. etc. which were white people.
I don't think I have to name MJ's inspirations here. If Spike Lee minimalizes, or even leaves out 'white' references but highlights 'black' ones, even ones that aren't accurate (lik the C'mon one) and puts in people who had little or nothing to do with MJ (Bryant), and is known for identity politics, than a decent fan can (and should) protest imo. Like you do with all other aspects of MJ

Meanwhile, he could enjoy every genre, even the "white" ones. And there was no need to stigmatize that. And we don't need to talk about what most musical influences even are. So basically, yeah, this was a pretty non nuanced take. Probably not accurate either, I'm sure there was plenty of mention of Caucasian elements; Rod Temperton was at odds with the estate so there's your reason for lack of reference there.
'Enjoy'? He was inspired and used every genre, even the 'white ones' Maybe I was non nuanced, I don't live in the US, however I feel strongly about this. And I don't believe the trouble of Temperton with The Estate has much to do with all of this, it's a general observation of his documentaries

And as for Kobe; he was one of MJs few friends. More than just "some ball player". Who would you think they should've gotten, Lionel Richie?
Lionel Richie would obviously be better yes , or what about Mister_Justin_Timberlake: speaking about being influenced by MJ

You just said it yourself.
Before him, MTV refused to broadcast music videos from black artists. That's just one example of various situations MJ and other black artists had to deal with. He was the first (I know there were others before him, but not as strong) to be able to start breaking these walls and open the path for himself and others to come.
He is transcendent, yes, but he was a black artist who grew up within the segregated and racist industry and managed to break through all that.
Since I have already been treated here like a Michael Jackson by the press, I might just put some more oil on the fire:
MTV was setup by people with a certain taste for people with the same taste, that doesn't made them racist obviously. They even started out with a black VJ ffs.. Yes I am that old.
They just didn't play Disco and Soul like 'Soul Train' didn't play Rock. So there were as little black people on MTV as there were white ones on Soul Train. Did MJ got more black people on MTV?> Probably yes. Do I like that?> Yes. Was it necessary?> No, why. Why should they?

Elvis didn't have this issue, The Beatles didn't have this issue, Led Zeppelin didn't have this issue. That's my point. He is a staple to the black culture.
White people doing Disco, Rap, R'n'B would have had the same issues obviously, they still do

Yeah, most of them (if not all) being black. There were never closed doors to white acts, ever, and he didn't do much for the LGBT+ community as he wasn't inserted in their movement.

White people face just as much prejudices of course, thinking otherwise would be kinda.. well racist. White people just have other closed doors like the within the rap or R'n'B community. Or street dance. MJ was and is a role model for millions of different people who, like he was, are: shy, androgynous, into magic, into classical music, into dance, love children, love nature, adopt children, have vitiligo, don't believe in race barriers etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
You know why Soul Train is called Soul Train right?

Back