Thriller 40th Anniversary

The victory tour, the oddest tour ever. The only tour in history where non of the songs of the album they’re promoting made it to the setlist. It would have been understandable if the logical choice was to perform all the thriller tracks because of its success but only 4 out of 9 tracks of this album were performed.
They did find room however to perform 2 tracks from the then latest Jermaine Jackson album, why not throw Torture in the mix?

I honestly don’t know what they were thinking. There must have been some heavy discussions regarding this. I wanna know more about it, especially about rehearsals.

The victory tour, the oddest tour ever. The only tour in history where non of the songs of the album they’re promoting made it to the setlist. It would have been understandable if the logical choice was to perform all the thriller tracks because of its success but only 4 out of 9 tracks of this album were performed.
They did find room however to perform 2 tracks from the then latest Jermaine Jackson album, why not throw Torture in the mix?

I honestly don’t know what they were thinking. There must have been some heavy discussions regarding this. I wanna know more about it, especially about rehearsals.
SoS was rehearsed iirc.

Was probably a condition of MJ doing it that they performed stuff from thriller tbh. He didn't even want to do the tour in the first place IIRC.

I find it really odd that not a single song from Victory was performed. People say it is because of the issues between Michael and his brothers, but I am sure they rehearsed for the tour, so regardless of their issues they could have performed a couple of songs from Victory. Michael and Jermaine did Tell Me I Am Not Dreaming, so there is no reason why they couldn’t have done Torture.

I never understood how Thriller hasn't sold more copies than The Greatest Hits of the Eagles in the US. Makes no sense to me and I live in the US. The Eagles were a nice band but really didn't even come close to the influence Thriller had. Just never made any sense to me.
It is long long time known that the US sales for the eagles album is FAKE. They just sold around 15-20 Million maximum.
When they were asked, and when the RIAA was asked, where the sales coming from, noone have known where they coming from, no answer. Noone! That was only CHEATING Michael Jackson. The same vor Xscape Album. Everone knows that the album was Number One in the US.

Last edited:
I think it’s safe to assume that the 68 million “original” pressings were sold in some capacity. There are a few scattered unopened units on eBay and the like, but unless they were taken directly from the manufacturer they were bought and never used. Also, when were these 68 million copies made?

It’s sort of crazy to me that we’ll never truly know how many copies Thriller sold.
I bet these were all sold in a matter of a few years. Michael Jackson’s popularity was unmatched. I remember reports of a million sold per week for a year if not 2. They produced the vinyl so fast that some were warped. I can tell you for fact, I returned several that I bought before I got a good copy. We will never have a real number but it’s millions more than any other album.

It is long long time known that the US sales for the eagles album is FAKE. They just sold around 15-20 Million maximum.
Yeah I've heard the eagles numbers are sketchy at best. I think politics were involved in the industry just to "dethrone" MJ in the US.

Can't you play SACD on blu-ray player. Mine says it does but...
Yes there are some blu-ray players that can play SACD. I believe there are some DVD players that can also.

I honestly don’t know what they were thinking. There must have been some heavy discussions regarding this. I wanna know more about it, e

That's one subject I was dying to ask mj. About the entire victory tour

Unfortunately none of those words made sense to me. I don't think I have even seen a Vinyl! I thought it was old forgotten technology. Is that like normal price for Vinyl? Double the normal?

PS: Sorry don't mean to derail the thread, I was just shocked at the price tag.
Vinyl never actually went anywhere but it went from being an extremely niche collector thing to having had a major mainstream resurgence that has steadily risen with each passing year. It has been officially "back" for at least a good 10 years now. Streaming is the primary format of choice for most but vinyl has dominated the physical media market for awhile now. It's actually CD that is less of a guarantee anymore. Most of the big acts of the last several years have had their albums released on vinyl. Artists like Taylor Swift, Eminem, The Weeknd and Justin Bieber have their entire discographies available on vinyl. $25-$50 is about normal pricing for a single album depending on the number of sides, type of pressing, extras, ect.

It's always funny to me how every time I go to Target or Walmart I inevitably hear somebody go "wow, they still make vinyl records?" as if there hasn't been a vinyl section in the electronics aisles of most department stores for like the last 5 years+. I guess I have to always keep in mind that if something isn't of any specific interest to someone, they tend not to notice it even when it's been right in front of their face for years.

Vinyl never actually went anywhere but it went from being an extremely niche collector thing to having had a major mainstream resurgence that has steadily risen with each passing year. It has been officially "back" for at least a good 10 years now. Streaming is the primary format of choice for most but vinyl has dominated the physical media market for awhile now. It's actually CD that is less of a guarantee anymore. Most of the big acts of the last several years have had their albums released on vinyl. Artists like Taylor Swift, Eminem, The Weeknd and Justin Bieber have their entire discographies available on vinyl. $25-$50 is about normal pricing for a single album depending on the number of sides, type of pressing, extras, ect.

It's always funny to me how every time I go to Target or Walmart I inevitably hear somebody go "wow, they still make vinyl records?" as if there hasn't been a vinyl section in the electronics aisles of most department stores for like the last 5 years+. I guess I have to always keep in mind that if something isn't of any specific interest to someone, they tend not to notice it even when it's been right in front of their face for years.
The funny part is that CDs might be coming back also. 2021 saw an increase in CD sales over 2020. The first such increase in almost 2 decades. We will see if the trend continues for 2022.

The funny part is that CDs might be coming back also. 2021 saw an increase in CD sales over 2020. The first such increase in almost 2 decades. We will see if the trend continues for 2022.
I highly doubt that... ppl are so sick in nostalgia

The Estate is doing so many great things these days...

The Cascio tracks are removed - the font get's changed - seems like they really do listen to the fans and our wishes and concerns. Great

The new version looks so much better - BUT I am quite sure when you buy it digitally or stream it, the cover will have the first design of T40 - like it's on the merch. - But still. They did listen and they did change it it seems. - I like the new version.

I wonder who inside the estate managed to convince them that the Thriller font didn't need to be contemporized.

It is indeed much, much better than before. I appreciate the fact that they realized, that the initial album cover design was not it.

This one has that 80s look to it and it is quite fitting with the album itself.

I love it!!! This is so exciting! I genuinely thought at this point it wasn't going to happen.

Let’s hope they will update the vinyl cover also. It absolutely needs to be reworked.

I'm sorry team, but it still looks wack.
It may still seem good compare to what we had, but that was an easy task. It's better than that? Yeah. Is it good? Nah.

Estate, if you scroll this thread, contact thr InsurAAAnce marketing team asap.

Estate, if you scroll this thread, contact thr InsurAAAnce marketing team asap.

I caught myself vibing hard to this when I first saw it some days ago. It's an amazing recreation, that's for sure, especially being that it's just an ad.

Back