Thriller 40th Anniversary

^^this. When For All Time originally leaked online, it was good. However when it appeared on Thriller25, cleaned up, in great quality and there was more vocals on it, it was even better then before. One can only hope the same happens to any of the other outtakes, such as Hot Street for example. This is by far my favorite outtake not officially released yet.
I have an hq version of hot street

Tbh I always take stuff The Estate say with a grain of salt when it comes to MJ's history and facts about his songs as they don't take much care with stuff like that and it seems to be up to whoever is writing the post to say whatever they want at the time.

Yes, the meeting took place at his home studio but it‘s very unlikely that the demos played at that meeting were home demos. Michael mentions during his 93’ deposition that the The Girl Is Mine demo was recorded “at a studio in the Valley” before the meeting with Q, Rod and Greg took place.

The demos presented would surely have been the latest and most sonically exciting versions, not some early rough ideas (e.g. the Billie Jean 1981 home demo or the Beat It home demo). Those were done for the musicians who were to record the demos, to get an idea of what the song should sound like.

By the way, some of Rod Temperton’s songs were also played at this meeting, including Starlight and possibly Baby Be Mine. Beat It was apparently not even written at that time, though, so they got that wrong in the post. It was one of the last songs to be written and recorded, in mid-/late 1982.

That makes sense, will still be very cool to hear MJ's version even if it's not a rough demo.

By the way, some of Rod Temperton’s songs were also played at this meeting, including Starlight and possibly Baby Be Mine. Beat It was apparently not even written at that time, though, so they got that wrong in the post. It was one of the last songs to be written and recorded, in mid-/late 1982.
See, I always thought the same thing. But apparently in Sonic Fantasy, Greg Phillinganes says that he first heard “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” on the same day, which was the listening party mentioned in the estate’s post. I know that goes against everything that’s always been said, but it’s certainly an interesting tidbit.

See, I always thought the same thing. But apparently in Sonic Fantasy, Greg Phillinganes says that he first heard “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” on the same day, which was the listening party mentioned in the estate’s post. I know that goes against everything that’s always been said, but it’s certainly an interesting tidbit.

Hmm so it's possible MJ played them a rough demo of Beat it? I'm not really sure of time lines just spitballing for discussion lol.

The fact that they are releasing Mike's home studio demo instead of the last version he worked on with Quincy for possible release, makes me think that Quincy is stopping the to release anything he worked on / produced. In that case all 10 new tracks would be MJ's home demos with no leaked Temperton / Quincy stuff like Starlight, Trouble and Hot Street.

Very interesting! This would change the timeline significantly because it was always assumed that Beat It was one of the late songs which replaced the lesser tracks on the album, up to that point. Perhaps Greg misremembered and it was The Girl Is Mine which was played during that meeting.

Tbh I always take stuff The Estate say with a grain of salt when it comes to MJ's history and facts about his songs as they don't take much care with stuff like that and it seems to be up to whoever is writing the post to say whatever they want at the time.
I'll never forget that infamous tweet they wrote about how the song Money was about financial hardships.
5c06fdd45b3b7595371aabe5714f0b287c877509.pnj

Last edited:
The fact that they are releasing Mike's home studio demo instead of the last version he worked on with Quincy for possible release, makes me think that Quincy is stopping the to release anything he worked on / produced. In that case all 10 new tracks would be MJ's home demos with no leaked Temperton / Quincy stuff like Starlight, Trouble and Hot Street.
It's hard to imagine that a genuine none Q involved demo of BTM exists considering it was Q who brought the song to MJs attention.

Maybe all 10 songs are Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask (Mikes Mix Demo)
Behind the Mask (Daves Mix)
Behind the Mask (Johns mix)

Then somehow with streaming all would count as one song so we’d have a number one in the 20’s decade

We have just about everything they will release in HQ. They will release everything that has leaked previously just like the Xscape album. Lower your expectations and you won’t be disappointed. Best case you will get Thriller video in HD.

I'm an audiophile. I hope the 180g album is really what they say it is. I already pre-ordered mine

thriller’ is the gift that keeps on giving. everlasting classics 💜 here is the video of the updated certifications of the singles; ‘p.y.t’, thriller’, ‘beat it’, and ‘billie jean

I'm an audiophile. I hope the 180g album is really what they say it is. I already pre-ordered mine
"Mastered from the original analog master tapes, Mobile Fidelity will also make available the original Thriller album as a One-Step 180g 33RPM LP, pressed at RTI and strictly limited to 40,000 numbered copies as well as a hybrid SACD. (An UltraDisc One-Step 180g 45RPM 2LP set of Thriller will be released at a future date.)"

nows ur chance to cancel it and wait

Maybe all 10 songs are Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask (Mikes Mix Demo)
Behind the Mask (Daves Mix)
Behind the Mask (Johns mix)

Then somehow with streaming all would count as one song so we’d have a number one in the 20’s decade
Lol, I remember that at the time Xscape came out there was this joke going 'round that every song would be a variation of Love Never Felt So Good ^^

"Mastered from the original analog master tapes, Mobile Fidelity will also make available the original Thriller album as a One-Step 180g 33RPM LP, pressed at RTI and strictly limited to 40,000 numbered copies as well as a hybrid SACD. (An UltraDisc One-Step 180g 45RPM 2LP set of Thriller will be released at a future date.)"

nows ur chance to cancel it and wait
You really think I should wait? I really gotta feeling In my heart that the estate will dish out what the fans can do. I really just want that 4k & hopefully it's not only thriller. They should put different outtakes in the videos & make it a bit different

I'll never forget that infamous tweet they wrote about how the song Money was about financial hardships.
5c06fdd45b3b7595371aabe5714f0b287c877509.pnj
The estate's social media team is so horrid, that fans often mock and parody it. His estate has made billions and yet the social media team seems like it's a group of volunteers who have lived underground until someone from the Estate, asked if they could be on the social media team.

The releases at Thriller 25 were well deluxe with dvd vinyl poster calendars the book I expect the same with Thriller 40

You mean the MoFi one? Cause you won't be disappointed. They take quality seriously, unlike *cough* the Estate
Well, a scandal broke out recently cause it was discovered they used digital masters (DSD, I believe) for some One-Step issues in the past.

Well, a scandal broke out recently cause it was discovered they used digital masters (DSD, I believe) for some One-Step issues in the past.
Whilst I don't understand why they lied about it, I did find it quite funny that this just proves that all the people who claimed to be able to hear the difference between digital and analogue records couldn't at all.

Back