Thriller 40th Anniversary

Dangerous sold around 370k opening week, which was extraordinary for the time. (No clue where the 600k figure comes from.) Not to mention that that figure only accounts for 4-5 days of sales due to the Thanksgiving weekend.

Comparing them to *NSYNC seems somewhat disingenuous. Albums in the ‘80s and ‘90s not only sold lower and had longer shelf lives, but they also didn’t often debut at number one. Thriller, the best selling album in history, had to climb to #1.

As somebody who works with teenagers and young adults, MJ is by no means “dad’s music.” You’d be stunned how many kids genuinely love Michael, Elton John, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, so on and so forth. Just look at the variety of ages who are attending the Broadway show. Hell, he’s still in the top 70 most-streamed artists on Spotify worldwide, thirteen years after his death. You’re not gonna convince me that’s all from middle-aged listeners.
Absolutely. The chances that a young adult in the 70s would listen to or even know about acts from the 1920s and 30s were minimal, but it's not uncommon af all for a young adult today to listen to music from 50 years ago.

Old music is more popular than ever, for a variety of reasons (e.g. ease of access via streaming services, use of old songs in popular films/series and games, fragmented current music scene, etc).

Comparing them to *NSYNC seems somewhat disingenuous. Albums in the ‘80s and ‘90s not only sold lower and had longer shelf lives, but they also didn’t often debut at number one. Thriller, the best selling album in history, had to climb to #1.
It is so impressive to think about the fact that Thriller was selling around one million copies, sometimes even more, a week, more than a year after its release. A true phenomenon!

Yeah, that makes sense. They’re probably testing the waters to see how the public responds to the first few projects. The Broadway show got a fair amount of criticism over Leaving Neverland, but the discussion around Thriller 40 so far has been positive. Hopefully this encourages them to take bigger swings.
The funny thing is even with the media totally ignoring the broadway, acting like it doesn’t exist, AND with the all the reviews talking about the allegations… the show is still sold out every single day. It’s one of the highest grossing broadways in NYC, won 4 Tony Awards, and has celebrities going to see it. Michael cancelled cancel culture.

Thriller 40 will be the first big musical release since LN so it’s important it does well. Hopefully all the fans will support it :)

I Think Dangerous could have hit even harder had it been released maybe 1989 or as the first release in the 90's. - Sell the album 00:01 January 1st 1990.

But Dangerous still had momentum going and a huge tour when the false all-destroying allegations hit...

Had it not been for those stupid and false allegations everything would have looked a lot different. Maybe more tour dates, more singles - maybe even one more musicvideo, who knows...

Oprah happend because of the allegations I believe??

But I sure agree, 1993 could have been an amazin year had it not been for those stupid false allegations.

Oprah happend because of the allegations I believe??

But I sure agree, 1993 could have been an amazin year had it not been for those stupid false allegations.
No, the Oprah interview was in February 1993, months before the allegations.

The start of 1993 was definitely a good period for MJ. There were a couple of big time-performances (Superbowl, Clinton inauguration) and appearances, and the Oprah interview showed a more personal side of him that definitely triggered additional interest. He actually said it quite well himself in his speech at the Grammy's this year (which was much longer than his speeches had tended to be), that he had "gone from 'where is he?' to 'here he is again'!" This also caused Dangerous to move up the charts again. I don't think it was a re-peak in the sense that it came close to the hype surrounding Thriller - that was never going to be replicated. But had the allegations not happened and had he continued with the planned album promotion, I do think it would have stayed in the charts for a bit longer.

I think Dangerous did as well as it could have. Yes, it didn’t do as well in the USA as Thriller and Bad did, but I believe in certain European markets, it did just as well if not better.

People need to remember that Michael was already in his mid 30s during the Dangerous era. Most artists start to decline in their commercial performance, once they reach their 30s. Music industry is a young artists industry. In spite of that, Dangerous managed to sell 30 million copies.

Regardless the allegations, I don’t think they had much of an impact on the sales of the Dangerous album. When the allegations broke out, Dangerous was already nearly two years old. I would say the allegations had more of an impact on the sales of History than Dangerous.

No, the Oprah interview was in February 1993, months before the allegations.

The start of 1993 was definitely a good period for MJ. There were a couple of big time-performances (Superbowl, Clinton inauguration) and appearances, and the Oprah interview showed a more personal side of him that definitely triggered additional interest. He actually said it quite well himself in his speech at the Grammy's this year (which was much longer than his speeches had tended to be), that he had "gone from 'where is he?' to 'here he is again'!" This also caused Dangerous to move up the charts again. I don't think it was a re-peak in the sense that it came close to the hype surrounding Thriller - that was never going to be replicated. But had the allegations not happened and had he continued with the planned album promotion, I do think it would have stayed in the charts for a bit longer.
Ah - How on earth did I mess that up. You are, of course, totally right. :) My bad

I agree. I think promotion and momentum would have continued into 1994 had it not been for the allegations - and it would have sold more and it would stand back for the general public as a more respected album. - Among fans I think it is the favorite for most. I remember a poll where it won.

I think Dangerous did as well as it could have. Yes, it didn’t do as well in the USA as Thriller and Bad did, but I believe in certain European markets, it did just as well if not better.

People need to remember that Michael was already in his mid 30s during the Dangerous era. Most artists start to decline in their commercial performance, once they reach their 30s. Music industry is a young artists industry. In spite of that, Dangerous managed to sell 30 million copies.

Regardless the allegations, I don’t think they had much of an impact on the sales of the Dangerous album. When the allegations broke out, Dangerous was already nearly two years old. I would say the allegations had more of an impact on the sales of History than Dangerous.
When the allegations broke out, the 'Dangerous' album was already nearly two years old.

Yet, the allegations had much of an impact on the sales of the 'Dangerous' album, because they were the reason for the abrupt end of his Dangerous World Tour.

If the allegations did not happen, the Dangerous World Tour would have continued with more concerts in various other countries (even on very large markets, such as USA), and thus it would have led to even more sales of the 'Dangerous' album.

I agree it was much much worse on any later MJ album. - The allegations tarnished his reputation and ruined a lot from 1993 and still do to this day.

BUT - I think peoples association with the album would have been better had it not been for the allegations. The allegations came during the Dangerous Tour and people might connect the allegations with Dangerous.

Off The Wall was young carefree and optimistic MJ
Thriller was Thriller... not more needs to be said. Epic album. MJ mania everywhere.
BAD - MJ white, new look, new style, some iconic musicvideos, BAD tour, MJ mania still on the wave of Thriller. - Some starting to think MJ was weird and looked odd. - Vitiligo was not known yet.

Dangerous - more white, allegations, many weird stories about MJ gets written. - In the 1980 the press still loved MJ, now the wanted him down and naturally the readers and main public gets affected by the constant negativity and weird tabloid stories about MJ. The allegations made the tabloids and normal press go frency and nuts. They had the time of their life in this period. They could write whatever they wanted and nobody cared about sources and proves. MJ was guilty untill he could prove otherwise. And you can't prove a negative... The press and tabloid and all the totally crazy lies that was written about him during the Danerous era sticks to the album for many I think. Sadly

When the allegations broke out, the 'Dangerous' album was already nearly two years old.

Yet, the allegations had much of an impact on the sales of the 'Dangerous' album, because they were the reason for the abrupt end of his Dangerous World Tour.

If the allegations did not happen, the Dangerous World Tour would have continued with more concerts in various other countries (even on large markets, such on US soil), and thus it would have led to even more sales of the 'Dangerous' album.
For once I agree completly. Had it not been for the allegations it is very likely the tour had continued with more dated and even come to the US. - That could have affected sales in the US a lot. The hype around a MJ tour would have gotten a lot of positive publicity had it not been for the allegations. - But the allegations resulted in everything written about MJ was negative and crazy.

For once I agree completly. Had it not been for the allegations it is very likely the tour had continued with more dated and even come to the US. - That could have affected sales in the US a lot. The hype around a MJ tour would have gotten a lot of positive publicity had it not been for the allegations. - But the allegations resulted in everything written about MJ was negative and crazy.
Btw, do we have any information on the cancelled dates for the Dangerous Tour? Did Michael plan to perform in the US? Or is that just speculation?

Btw, do we have any information on the cancelled dates for the Dangerous Tour? Did Michael plan to perform in the US? Or is that just speculation?
The cancelled Dangerous concerts (in late 1993) included Australia (Sydney, Melbourne), Indonesia, Malaysia, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, India, and other big countries.

Michael Jackson planned to conclude the 1993 leg of the Dangerous Tour in India, with at least two giant concerts there.

There were also planned USA Dangerous concerts in 1994, such as in Washington, Florida, Minnesota.

Press reports also wrote that the singer in 1994 was secretly planning to resume his Dangerous World Tour, despite the allegations.

Interesting Dangerous Discussion regarding a totally different album. Any mods here?

Interesting Dangerous Discussion regarding a totally different album. Any mods here?
So back to the fun topic of the man who's slandered Michael Jackson for the last 20 years, who's making the upcoming Thriller 40 documentary.

I'm kidding, it's nice to see loads of members posting on MJJC again. It feels like the old days

I wonder if we'll get a single and maybe a teaser for the documentary soon?

So back to the fun topic of the man who's slandered Michael Jackson for the last 20 years, who's making the upcoming Thriller 40 documentary.

I'm kidding, it's nice to see loads of members posting on MJJC again. It feels like the old days

I wonder if we'll get a single and maybe a teaser for the documentary soon?
Please god release a single even if they update it for modern Audience. I don’t care because thriller 40 will contain original version

well, I don't read all the threads all the time, and it is very difficult to keep these threads on track when everyone is so excited. Feel free to report off topic conversation to bring to my attention. Though good job at self-regulation and bringing this back on track :)

It's about anniversary albums not Tours 91.92 were successful years for dangerous with promo short films the accusations started on August 93

well, I don't read all the threads all the time, and it is very difficult to keep these threads on track when everyone is so excited. Feel free to report off topic conversation to bring to my attention. Though good job at self-regulation and bringing this back on track :)
the non ‘thriller’ posts are still being made. it’s disrespectful and upsetting. can you please cleanse this thread of it?

the non ‘thriller’ posts are still being made. it’s disrespectful and upsetting. can you please cleanse this thread of it?
It’s a discussion on a discussion board and a natural one after a fair question was asked on why MJs 90s work is ignored.

What else is there to discuss? The documentary made by an MJ hater again? Until the Estate announce the next song or any other project announcements it’s pretty much been discussed, don’t forget they announced this months ago and we’re still over a month away from release.

Disrespectful and upsetting... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Calm down. - This is a fan forum where a discussion very often goes somewhere else. It's still MJ and it actually very interesting.
I am just happy there is some activity around the forum these days.

I said it was partially leaked because a few lyrics were revealed over the years. Snippets aren't the only way for a song to be "partially leaked," as lyrics becoming public can count as a partial leak.
oh. ok. my bad

Back