Thriller 40th Anniversary

I thought the same thing. 40th is a weird anniversary to pull out all the stops. What’s the plan even gonna be for 50 other than 4K videos?
After the Leaving Neverland debacle, reissuing Thriller is probably the best way to put the attention back on Michael's music. It is a universally popular album, so I can see why we are getting Thriller 40.

After the Leaving Neverland debacle, reissuing Thriller is probably the best way to put the attention back on Michael's music. It is a universally popular album, so I can see why we are getting Thriller 40.
Yeah, that makes sense. They’re probably testing the waters to see how the public responds to the first few projects. The Broadway show got a fair amount of criticism over Leaving Neverland, but the discussion around Thriller 40 so far has been positive. Hopefully this encourages them to take bigger swings.

I really wonder why they're doing this now though. They still got 50 to go. I'm hoping that we'll get fully remastered videos in HD but I'm starting to think they're not gonna do it for this release and wait even more years to get it done.
can't understand why people are waiting to get the short films in full hd on blue ray it could have happened a long time ago

Thriller 40 makes perfect sense imo

This is a huge release for the Estate, if T40 fails we can kiss goodbye big future releases. Thriller is the safest bet for attention. They’re testing the water. Will the public embrace MJ again? How will the critics react? This is much bigger than a broadway show which is only local and for a select audience. Maybe even the future of the biopic gets shaky if T40 fails Which would be a catastrophe.
I’m pretty nervous about it because I would like to hear new music in the future too...

For those of us who keep wishing for other anniversaries, it will never happen, there is no audience for it except for die hard fans. With thriller every music enthusiast probably keeps an eye out for the release.

If they’re smart at the Estate they should hire influential tik tok people to make videos using MJ’s music, apparently this is how Fleetwood Mac got a renaissance, their streaming numbers have gained greatly. It is the only way to reach a new young audience, one that is not yet poisoned by decades of tabloid nonsense.

Last edited:
Thriller 40 makes perfect sense imo

This is a huge release for the Estate, if T40 fails we can kiss goodbye big future releases. Thriller is the safest bet for attention. They’re testing the water. Will the public embrace MJ again? How will the critics react? This is much bigger than a broadway show which is only local and for a select audience. Maybe even the future of the biopic gets shaky if T40 fails Which would be a catastrophe.
I’m pretty nervous about it because I would like to hear new music in the future too...
The purpose of an anniversary edition is to increase the profile of the original album. Thriller (original album) is already a huge catalogue seller and features regularly on music charts. So one can argue that Thriller 40 is already a success before its release.

Considering Michael is probably in the top 3 best selling and streamed legacy artist, I think the public have embraced Michael's music.

Even if Thriller 40 was to fail, I doubt it would affect the plans for a biopic. A biopic will have a different audience to a reissued album.

If they’re smart at the Estate they should hire influential tik tok people to make videos using MJ’s music, apparently this is how Fleetwood Mac got a renaissance, their streaming numbers have gained greatly. It is the only way to reach a new young audience, one that is not yet poisoned by decades of tabloid nonsense.
The same thing that has happened to every huge star of every decade since the beginning of recorded music will happen to MJ eventually: the people who grew up with his music will die off, and to the new generation, he’ll be as irelevant as Bing Crosby is to you, or as Maurice Chevalier was to your parents. While some old artists can get a sudden revival in this TikTok era, it’s short-lived, it’s usually limited to one song, and the kids quickly move on to other things. The die-hard fans are the only ones who care about any artist who’s not today’s chart-toppers. It was always thus in the world of pop music. MJ still has a huge following because he had a 40-year career filled with dozens of hits. But he’s dad’s music to your average TikTok kid.

The same thing that has happened to every huge star of every decade since the beginning of recorded music will happen to MJ eventually: the people who grew up with his music will die off, and to the new generation, he’ll be as irelevant as Bing Crosby is to you, or as Maurice Chevalier was to your parents. While some old artists can get a sudden revival in this TikTok era, it’s short-lived, it’s usually limited to one song, and the kids quickly move on to other things. The die-hard fans are the only ones who care about any artist who’s not today’s chart-toppers. It was always thus in the world of pop music. MJ still has a huge following because he had a 40-year career filled with dozens of hits. But he’s dad’s music to your average TikTok kid.
As somebody who works with teenagers and young adults, MJ is by no means “dad’s music.” You’d be stunned how many kids genuinely love Michael, Elton John, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, so on and so forth. Just look at the variety of ages who are attending the Broadway show. Hell, he’s still in the top 70 most-streamed artists on Spotify worldwide, thirteen years after his death. You’re not gonna convince me that’s all from middle-aged listeners.

why are only albums from the 80s honored dangerous would have deserved an anniversary and been successful it is the album of the 90s

Why stick to a specific anniversary and not releasing a (timeless) superdeluxe edition?

For instance Prince' sde of "Sign o the times" or the soon to be released Beatles sde of "Revolver" are terrific releases imo.
True

there’s been a deliberate attempt by a certain demographic of ‘fans’ to sabotage ‘thriller‘ long before this project was even announced.
their intention is to rewrite history and control the narrative. they do this through bullying group-think, and by questioning the fandom of anyone who has a preference for this era.

they’re jealous of its success, and they operate out of spite towards the general public - especially the ones fortunate enough to remember happier times in michael’s career and life. literally waiting for us to die out 😧 it will never work because the truth never changes. or as Michael said ; ‘and when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives so we can rock forever on’ 💜

billie jean’ is the most popular video on YouTube with over a billion views. ‘thriller’ is still michael’s biggest selling album. his most successful posthumous single ‘love never felt so good’ came from 1983.💜

without the ‘casuals’ that are detested so much around here, Michael never would have reached the heights that he did; as a solo artist or even as a part of the Jackson 5.

the anti ‘thriller’ noise is coming from a small loud minority. the extent of michael’s appeal goes way beyond message boards, and social media in general.

that could never be destroyed no matter how hard some of you try..

As somebody who works with teenagers and young adults, MJ is by no means “dad’s music.” You’d be stunned how many kids genuinely love Michael, Elton John, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, so on and so forth. Just look at the variety of ages who are attending the Broadway show. Hell, he’s still in the top 70 most-streamed artists on Spotify worldwide, thirteen years after his death. You’re not gonna convince me that’s all from middle-aged listeners.

There are exceptions: as a kid, I loved the Beatles, who had broken up 25 years previously. And there were weirdos 20-year-old in 1967 who still bought Frank Sinatra albums. But MJ won't avoid what is the rule for all: times passes and others take your place.

There are exceptions: as a kid, I loved the Beatles, who had broken up 25 years previously. And there were weirdos 20-year-old in 1967 who still bought Frank Sinatra albums. But MJ won't avoid what is the rule for all: times passes and others take your place.
You’re absolutely right. But the overall point remains: as of now, MJ is remarkably successful for a legacy act that’s been dead for over a decade. He will eventually fade, but to dismiss his current popularity as “dad’s music” ignores his ongoing cultural relevance.

why are only albums from the 80s honored dangerous would have deserved an anniversary and been successful it is the album of the 90s
As much as I love the album Dangerous, the beginning of the 90s was the era of techno, house and grunge. MJ for the first time introduced rap in his songs, but he was too late imho. DANGEROUS is an excellent album of course, but there was no real wow effect comparable to THRILLER or BAD. It looked like an updated recipe with all the already existing ingredients: Who Is It = Billie Jean, Heal The World (although extremely successful) = We Are The World; Give In To Me = Beat It/Dirty Diana; Keep The Faith = Man In The Mirror; Jam = Bad with rap; etc. Just my two cents. Now had DANGEROUS dropped in 1988 or 1989 it would have been awesome and most certainly huge. MJ waited too long and Technotronic, Snap, and other styles imposed themselves in the clubs.

As much as I love the album Dangerous, the beginning of the 90s was the era of techno, house and grunge. MJ for the first time introduced rap in his songs, but he was too late imho. DANGEROUS is an excellent album of course, but there was no real wow effect comparable to THRILLER or BAD. It looked like an updated recipe with all the already existing ingredients: Who Is It = Billie Jean, Heal The World (although extremely successful) = We Are The World; Give In To Me = Beat It/Dirty Diana; Keep The Faith = Man In The Mirror; Jam = Bad with rap; etc. Just my two cents. Now had DANGEROUS dropped in 1988 or 1989 it would have been awesome and most certainly huge. MJ waited too long and Technotronic, Snap, and other styles imposed themselves in the clubs.
True but in terms of NJS which was huge at the time in the early 90s, Dangerous is a huge album for the genre

Don’t forget by that point MJ was already an “older act” because he’d been in the game for so long. Clubs in LA played his stuff like Remember the Time etc so it was a different game competing vs the new younger acts

Probably unrelated but i'm kind of sad that Dangerous released so late, by the time it was out, singles had club remixes on them and not the kind of extended or alternative mixes you would find on 80s singles, it would have been very interesting to see different takes on songs that got a single release, rather than just forgettable dance remixes/whatever was popular at the time

True but in terms of NJS which was huge at the time in the early 90s, Dangerous is a huge album for the genre

Don’t forget by that point MJ was already an “older act” because he’d been in the game for so long. Clubs in LA played his stuff like Remember the Time etc so it was a different game competing vs the new younger acts
Probably unrelated but i'm kind of sad that Dangerous released so late, by the time it was out, singles had club remixes on them and not the kind of extended or alternative mixes you would find on 80s singles, it would have been very interesting to see different takes on songs that got a single release, rather than just forgettable dance remixes/whatever was popular at the time
I'm speaking from my own experience back then, the way I felt it and lived it. MJ was huge with BAD album. MJ had this strategy to kinda make himself forget and drop da bomb. It worked between Thriller and Bad. But it didn't fully work with Dangerous.

He was tad bit too late. MJ should have dropped Dangerous in 1989 at the latest. 'Jam' would have been a huge hit in 1989, as well as many other songs and Dangerous album would have probably outsold BAD. But the wait was too long - 1991! New era, new music had already made its way, despite the huge audience Black Or White video premiere attracted. So, all in all Dangerous did quite well with awesome videos and concerts and all, but as I said, my feeling is that it would have been even bigger if it had been released in 1988 or 1989. The sound would have been really brand new before all the techno and house era.

He was tad bit too late. MJ should have dropped Dangerous in 1989 at the latest. 'Jam' would have been a huge hit in 1989, as well as many other songs and Dangerous album would have probably outsold BAD. But the wait was too long
Honestly, i don't think it being too late was the reason it didn't surpass Bad in sales, i'm pretty sure that Dangerous would have definitely outsold Bad if the allegations hadn't come out by 1993...

Honestly, i don't think it being too late was the reason it didn't surpass Bad in sales, i'm pretty sure that Dangerous would have definitely outsold Bad if the allegations hadn't come out by 1993...
can someone actually see if the sales of bad and dangerous in their first 2 years were similar or if one was bigger then the other, we could prob predict it that way.

can someone actually see if the sales of bad and dangerous in their first 2 years were similar or if one was bigger then the other, we could prob predict it that way.
The sales were similar from my memory, but the hype with everyday people regarding MJ's music wasn't as high with Dangerous as with Bad.

The sales were similar from my memory, but the hype with everyday people regarding MJ's music wasn't as high with Dangerous as with Bad.
It seems back then people weren’t rushing to the store to buy a new album. I remember a time where Nsync would sell 3 million copies in the first week. It seems dangerous or bad didn’t come close to those first week numbers.

I would love see weekly sales estimates of his albums though.

Back