To Catlovers

City critters explain what kitten season is.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VzLEgz0AGXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kittens from one day of intake in may 2011

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nd-PSVIuzgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kitten season 2012
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/85Uq_2V-FiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some kittens are killed in killshelters,many kittens born to feral cats or stray cats don´t survive long time outdoors.Those who survives will have kittens of their own who becomes ferals too.
If they´re not trapped and spayed or neutered.

Re: to catlovers

422242_437947562914860_1861316920_n.jpg

15.jpg

22.jpg

tumblr_m86ta2riuT1qjev1to1_1280.jpg

417388_299165936847368_1719579147_n.jpg

540358_299165826847379_1160475265_n.jpg

283632_341655679253521_815893703_n.jpg

430330_10150961411771638_1525896177_n.jpg

581031_3402442991920_1547755462_n.jpg

373857_455034221196104_1837869629_n.jpg

gatos_epirituais.jpg

:wub:

There is a place ,Backa Röd in Gothenburg where there have been many feral cats for decades and the solution was to shot them.It never worked, some years after the shooting there are many cats again and their health have been bad.
Catfriends wanted to change that and Gothenburg cathelp started a dialogue with the housing company and could tell them about TNR.
There was a petition too,I think I have posted it in this thread.
The housing companyagreed to try TNR and below is a story from one who lives there and have seen the change

"I live in Backa Röd and can say that TNR project, Poseidon operates in cooperation with Gothenburg Cat Help is the best thing that has happened to the cats and us tenants in the decades that there have been wild cats in Backa Red.

Each year, sick, injured or dead kittens were found. You could find them in the middle of the day, right on the streets. Male cats with large open wounds after fights, female cats that were emaciated after all the litters they had every summer.

Cats peed in the patios and screaming queens has for decades plagued those living in Backa Red. Cats have been shot there for many many years. A few years ago, they had shot a hundred cats. They were fed on lawns and shot when they ate. Piles of dead cats everywhere. Some cats were injured shot and ran away. My neighbor took care of a litter of kittens that were left behind after the mother had been shot dead. Another had her cat killed. It did nothing: a few years ago it was the same way again, lots of sick kittens, injured males and emaciated female cats.

This summer is the first summer that we have only seen healthy adult cats, kittens FREE! No sick or injured cats anymore! The cats have been fine,they got isolated cat cabins and we can now feed the cats without being threatened with eviction. My living host said he has noticed that the complaints about the cats has decreased very much. Most are very glad that the cats are no longer killed, and many feed and look after the cats. It's about thousands of people giving the cats attention. If any problems arise we can get hel from Poseidon or Gothenburg Cat Help."

I don´t think I have posted a video from Slovenia in this thread.
The message is the same around the world.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/43XUR6birog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are adoption events for the Caboodle Ranch cats this weekend

"As you may know, in late February the ASPCA helped rescue hundreds of cats from Caboodle Ranch, a one-time sanctuary where the cats had fallen victim to severe neglect. Many of the kitties were severely ill and in dire need of medical treatment. The truth is, we got there just in time. Responders also discovered a number of deceased cats and burial sites on the property.

For the past five months, these little survivors have been getting better in our temporary shelter in Jacksonville. During that time, we also ensured that all were spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and, of course, socialized extensively.

At long last, the ASPCA has won the legal right to place them into loving homes. Naturally, our first action was to find guardians who had relinquished their cats to Caboodle Ranch and give them an opportunity to reclaim their pets.

But we still need to find new homes for the majority of these kitties—and we’re doing it through three concurrent adoption events August 11 and 12! Below are events to be held around Florida in conjunction with our wonderful partner agencies. If you have room in your heart and your home for one more, we hope you’ll consider attending.

In Jacksonville:

Hosts: ASPCA and Jacksonville Humane Society

What: Adoption event to find homes for Caboodle Ranch survivors, including barn cats and cats with special needs, such as those who are FIV-positive or have feline leukemia.

When: Saturday, August 11 and Sunday, August 12, 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.

Where: ASPCA temporary shelter
2580 West 1st Street
Jacksonville, FL 32254 Map

What to Bring: One government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport, military ID, or non-driver ID), proof of address and a cat carrier if you have one.

Adoption Fee: None

In Sarasota:

Host: Cat Depot

What: Adoption event to find homes for Caboodle Ranch survivors, including barn cats and cats with special needs, such as those who are FIV-positive or have feline leukemia.

Where: Robarts Arena at the Sarasota County Fairgrounds
3000 Ringling Boulevard
Sarasota, FL 34237 Map

What to Bring: One government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport, military ID, or non-driver ID), proof of address and a cat carrier if you have one.

Adoption Fee: Suggested $10 donation

In Clearwater:

Host: Humane Society of Pinellas County

What: Adoption event to find homes for Caboodle Ranch survivors, including some with special needs, such as those who are FIV-positive or have feline leukemia.

Where: 1928 Gulf to Bay Boulevard
Clearwater, FL 33765 Map
(Overflow parking will be available across the street at Clearwater High School.)

Adoption Fee: Name your own fee"

I don´t understand it , it seems you just can go there and get a cat for free or for a low cost.
How do you know they come to loving homes if you just see people for a short time?
Do they have a conversation about what it means to have a cat and how to care for it?
These cats have been in a hell and I suppose many of them can live at least 10-15 years,I really hope all of them get loving homes for the rest of their lifes.

Prayer of Saint Francis

Last edited:

I long for the day when every cat has a loving home.
I keep the faith.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XQlgSpmmcSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS) operates two shelters in Richmond, British Columbia.
One catsanctuary and they took over the cityshelter in 2007.
They are no kill
It says it´s the largest catsanctuary in North America,it´s 6 acres farmland.
From what i read it seems like they trap and neuter feral cats but they release them in the sanctuary,in the outeryards which are fenced.
Some visitors have called it a cat paradise, heaven for catlovers.
I´ve written about a catparadise before which was far from a paradise for the cats but RAPS have about 100 dedicated volunteers and you can adopt cats here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wL7XbxTi7z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.rapsociety.com/index.php

Cat in the Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary in Rome.

How love of Billy the stray cat has finally brought four-year-old autistic boy out of his shell

Even simple tasks used to be fraught with difficulty for Fraser Booth.
The four-year-old, who is autistic, easily became overwhelmed by everyday events, resulting in tears and temper tantrums.

Then Billy the stray cat came along. Abandoned by his previous owner and rescued from a boarded-up council house by a charity, he had not had the easiest start to life.
But since their first meeting, Fraser and Billy have been inseparable – and the moggy has helped bring the little boy out of his shell.

Now, whether it’s playtime, storytime or bedtime, Billy is there to offer a reassuring paw.
And he is the first to sense when Fraser is getting frustrated, calming him down with a cuddle or comforting purr.
Fraser’s mother Louise said: ‘If Fraser is around or playing in the garden, Billy is never far away. It is like he is watching Fraser and calming his behaviour
He always appears when Fraser is getting upset and offers his head close to Fraser’s to reassure him and recently, when Fraser was poorly, Billy sat on his lap all day.
‘They say animals can sense things, but Billy seems to know before anybody else if Fraser is going to get upset.’

Mrs Booth, who is a full-time mother to Fraser and his 15-month-old sister Pippa, added: ‘It sounds crackers, but it is like Billy is Fraser’s guardian. Their relationship is something really special.’

Fraser was diagnosed with autism when he was 18 months old after Mrs Booth, 38, and her electrician husband, Chris, 43, noticed he was not developing as quickly as other children his age.
‘It was glaringly obvious to me early on that something was wrong,’ Mrs Booth said. ‘Fraser would cry all the time and wouldn’t respond to me or any toys we put in front of him.’

Since his diagnosis, Fraser has been undergoing therapy. While he is able to talk to his parents and run around like other children of his age, he still struggles to cope with routine tasks, resulting in temper tantrums and tears.

‘Every day life can be a challenge for Fraser because ordinary tasks can be extremely difficult for him,’ added Mrs Booth, who lives on the Balmoral estate in Aberdeenshire.
‘He is not trapped in his own little world – as most people assume with people with autism – he is a happy little boy, but he can become frustrated or upset easily at the drop of a switch.
‘For example, if he sees a character on television he doesn’t like, or if we try to get him out of the bath and he doesn’t want to, there is usually a meltdown.’

But the arrival of Billy from a Cats Protection shelter 12 months ago has changed Fraser’s behaviour.
‘The first time we took Fraser to see Billy, the cat went straight to him,’ Mrs Booth added. ‘Fraser sat down on the floor and Billy laid across him with his paws on his legs and just started purring. Fraser said “This is our cat, he can come live with us,” and that was that.’
‘Billy has made a complete difference to our family life, he’s taken away the stress, he’s added happiness and an air of calm, he’s just been amazing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ear-old-autistic-boy-shell.html#ixzz24UtZc1O0

Back