To Catlovers

A few days ago, I received an email where a shelter killed a dog a rescue group offered to save: “knowing that someone was on his way to get her, Animal Control killed her anyway.”
Yesterday, the Dallas Observer reports that the Dallas pound killed seven kittens a rescuer had found a foster home for: http://goo.gl/Uetiuz. In other cases, shelters vindictively kill animals to get back at rescuers.

My film, Redemption (nokill.org), tells one such story:
“I went to the shelter because I was told they had a mother cat and four kittens that they had scheduled to be killed even though they were healthy. When I arrived to pick up the cat and kittens, the shelter manager asked to see me. She told me that a member of our rescue group wrote a letter complaining about the shelter to the Board of Supervisors and that they didn’t appreciate it. She told me I could therefore only have one kitten. I begged her to let me take them all, but she said that I couldn’t. She told me to pick one and she was going to euthanize the rest, including the mother cat. I didn’t know what to do. And so I picked. My hand was shaking as I filled out the paper work. After I got the kitten, I went outside and sat in the car. Then I threw up all over myself.”

In fact -- aside from questions about reforming high kill shelters and what to do when rescuers and volunteers are banned for exposing inhumane practices -- what to do about a shelter that kills animals rescuers offer to save is the most common question received by my organization, the No Kill Advocacy Center.
In a 2010 survey of rescue groups in New York, over 70% said they had been turned away by a shelter which then killed the very animals they offered to save. In a Florida survey, it was 64%.

It is time to make that a thing of the past.
Rescue rights laws make it illegal for shelters to kill such animals and they work.
In California, the number of animals transferred to rescue groups rather than killed increased by over 46,000 per year after a rescue rights law was passed, and increase of 370%.
Rescue rights laws not only save lives, they foster fairness, respect and consideration for people who both need and deserve it.

As a society, we owe a particular debt of gratitude to people who voluntarily offer a helping hand to the needy and that includes our nation’s homeless animals. Animal rescuers and shelter volunteers are compassionate people who open their hearts and homes to provide a safety-net for animals others may have abandoned and whom our dysfunctional shelters betray even further by killing.
They are already donating their time, their energy, their resources and their love to make our world a better place.
They shouldn’t have to sacrifice their emotional well-being, too.
Here’s a model rescue rights law: http://goo.gl/g2GKHL
Here’s how to get such a law introduced and passed: http://goo.gl/rq6Amy
https://www.facebook.com/nathanwinograd

CHARITY
6/2014 Charity came to us from a local rescue. They received a phone call from a man stating he had a cat on his front porch, he hated cats and demanded someone come get it. Lucky for this little girl, they did. They called us for advice because she was very sick and they had never dealt with a cat that had her problems. One eye had ruptured, the other one was bulging out of her head. I told them to immediately bring me the kitten. We immediately got her on antibiotics and to the vet. The second eye also ruptured atthe vet’s office. She is feeling so much better, playing and acting like a normal kitten.Once she gets a bit bigger she will be spayed and her eyes closed up to prevent infection.8/2014 She has had her eyes done, and been spayed. She is doing great!You may watch her live on Saturday on http://ustream.tv/blindcatrescueShe is a wheel runner - See more at: http://blindcats.org/charity.htm#sthash.lLG8TuxT.dpuf

[video=youtube;oU61DlHii3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU61DlHii3s[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU61DlHii3s

here are several kitties at Blind cat rescue and sanctuary, this time you can see Charity running in the wheel
[video=youtube;jWiVVyWf7jE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWiVVyWf7jE[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWiVVyWf7jE

Nathan Winograd
18 augusti kl. 09:15
Today, HB 71, the Companion Animal Protection Act, was introduced in Florida: http://goo.gl/z4b5HZ
HB 71 would make it illegal for shelters to kill animals if there are empty cages or kennels, if animals can share a cage or kennel with another animal, if a foster home is available, if a rescue group is willing to take the animal, if an animal can be transferred to another shelter, if the animal can be sterilized and released, and more.
Similar laws in other states save nearly 50,000 animals a year, have reduced killing statewide by 78%, have led to save rates of 94% and higher, and have cut millions of dollars in wasteful spending.

Such a law is not only necessary, reasonable and an effective means of saving lives, its passage would also bring Florida’s sheltering procedures more in line with the humane, progressive values of the American public.
But I need your help in getting it passed.
The Florida Animal Control Association is run by people whose shelters, in the words of one, see their jobs as "herding" (and then killing) animals. In other words, a slaughterhouse. For shelter directors accustomed to operating their facilities with little to no oversight, no lifesaving expectations, and virtually unfettered discretion to avoid doing what is in the best interests of sheltered animals, laws like HB 71 are deeply threatening. And they will fight legislation that gives the animals a chance at life.
Instead of ending up in landfills or turned into ash, these animals could be chasing balls, sleeping in the sun, curling up on laps, loving and being loved in return. If it is to have any chance at passing, we need a lot of people to demand it.
If you live in Florida, please contact your local legislator and ask them to cosponsor and support HB 71: http://goo.gl/htdFWZ
If you live outside of Florida, please share with those who do. You can also bring CAPA to your state. Here is a copy of the model law: http://goo.gl/inpD68 Here is a free guide on how to get it introduced in your state: http://goo.gl/NRbCIQ

Re: to catlovers

Churchill's wish upheld as new cat welcomed to Chartwell
Churchill's wish that a marmalade cat named Jock would always live in his home is honoured

By Matthew Holehouse, Political Correspondent4:20PM GMT 10 Mar 2014
A promise made to an ageing Sir Winston Churchill has been honoured after a kitten was given a home at his country estate.
For his 88th birthday in 1962, Churchill was given a marmalade cat named Jock after one of his private secretaries, Sir John "Jock" Colville, who gave him the pet.
The cat was so dear to the former Prime Minister that it was rumoured that meals would not start until Jock was at the table.
He and his family requested that, after his death, there should always be a marmalade cat named Jock with a white bib and four white socks resident at Chartwell in Kent.
The National Trust, which was left the property by the Churchill family in 1966, has always honoured the request and this month welcomed Jock VI, a seven-month-old rescue kitten.

Jock VI, or Malley as he was previously known, was rescued by Croydon Animal Samaritans before being adopted by Chartwell's house and collections manager, Katherine Barnett.
Trust officials said he takes afternoon naps, eats tuna and lounges on Persian rugs at Chartwell, which has a green cat-flap approved by an historic buildings inspector.
Ms Barnett said: "Jock VI has had a difficult start to his life, but as the saying goes, a cat will always land on its feet. I'm delighted with Jock.
"He's a very caring, loving cat and I think our visitors will get lots of enjoyment from seeing him around the property for many years to come."
Jock V left Chartwell when its owner, the former house and collections manager at the property, left.
A trust spokesman said: "The pair had such a close bond, they stayed together and are both now living in the Scottish countryside."
Anna Nikolic, a trustee and senior fosterer with Croydon Animal Samaritans, said: "We're delighted to have found such a loving home for Jock and know Katherine and the team at Chartwell will provide for all his needs.
"We hope to give all our rescue cats this happy-ever-after ending, and would encourage anyone looking for a family cat themselves to get in touch with us."

Clear the Shelters a Sweeping Success! 20,000 Shelter Pets Adopted in One Day! By Jody on August 17, 2015
What would you say if you could be a part of helping 20,000 animals languishing in shelters find forever homes all in one day? I’d say, I’m in! And, that’s exactly what happened when Clear the Shelters, the NBC and Telemundo initiative with over 400 shelters, launched their much-publicized adoption drive last Saturday, August 15, nationwide.

This first-of-its-kind initiative literally emptied dozens of animal shelters around the country, when community members came out in droves to add a furry friend to the family. One family from Indiana was even reunited with their pitbull, Joe Cool, aka “Chief,” after he ran away from home, by visiting their local shelter on that day. The adoption drive was so successful, a Clear the Shelters date of Saturday, July 16, 2016, has already been set for next year.

“I am so happy with the huge success of Clear the Shelters. Our NBC and Telemundo stations, and our 400 partnering animal shelters across the country, with the help of the ASPCA and our friends at Overstock.com, found almost 20,000 thousand animals homes. We are grateful to everyone who opened their homes and added to their families on this national day of action,” said Valari Staab, President, NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations. “Clear the Shelters is an example of how, together, we can save animal lives and make a difference in our communities.

Heartwarming adoptions
The Clear the Shelters initiative was spearheaded by 29 NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations (11 NBC-owned stations, 17 Telemundo-owned stations and the regional news network necn) and more than 400 animal shelters across the country, with a goal of finding new homes for thousands of homeless pets. While the vast majority of the nearly 20,000 animals adopted on Clear the Shelters day were cats and dogs, other pets like rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, turtles, ferrets, monkeys, donkeys, lizards, cows and pigs also found new homes.

At the Humane Society of Calvert County in Maryland, a pot-bellied pig named “Channing Tatum” was adopted as part of Clear the Shelters, as was “Linda,” a 12-year-old poodle mix, who had spent six years at the Upper Keys Humane Society in South Florida, now adopted by Kellie and Joe Pardo, of Key Largo.

At the SPCA of Texas in Dallas, a five-year-old boxer who had lived a life of abuse and had been used for breeding was finally adopted by a family from Mesquite, after being passed over numerous times. In Oyster Bay, New York a two-month-old kitten named “June” was adopted and taken home early in the day.

Pittie Hannah, dressed up in a pink tutu by the Humane Society of Calvert Country in Maryland, left with her forever family, Amanda Krutilla, her 20-month-old son, Jax and her fiance, Jason Bowles. Hannah is Krutilla’s second pit bull. “They’re just the biggest babies,” said Krutilla, of California, Maryland. “Her tutu defines her.” [courtesy of NBCDFW.com & nbcwashington]

Clear the Shelters was sponsored nationally by Overstock.com, another animal-loving company. The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) did the amazing thing of granting a total of $134,000 to 16 animal shelters that participated in the Clear the Shelters initiative, to help them offer no-cost or reduced fee adoptions or waive pet spaying and neutering fees.

With so many people inspired by the initiative, Clear the Shelters content was shared A LOT, receiving over four million page views, across several station platforms, from mid-July 2015 through August 15, including more than one million on the actual Clear the Shelters day!

You can watch the highlights
You can see highlights of Clear the Shelters when it is recapped on the NBC Owned Stations plus more than 100 NBC affiliate stations, in a 30-minute post-adoption drive special on Saturday, August 22nd, hosted by Natalie Morales, News Anchor and Co-Host of NBC News’ TODAY. The Telemundo stations will also air a post-adoption drive show on the same day, with Elva Saray, Host of Telemundo 52 Los Angeles’ (KVEA) daily entertainment show, Acceso Total, serving as Co-Host alongside Jessica Carrillo, Host and Reporter for Telemundo network’s Al Rojo Vivo.
http://barkandswagger.com/clear-shelters-sweeping-success-20000-shelter-pets-adopted-one-day

We have Just One Day in june.
If there are 2 days in a year they can stop the killing of healthy and treatable animals they can stop the killing the other days too.
One day we´ll be there..

I think I´ve posted about Mickey the cougar before but here is a video from when he was rescued.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bndB9_8wBQ

Here you can see him having some physical theraphy after first surgery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcd-lmVEW2E

what had happened to his hindlegs?

"The facility Mickey was rescue from feed their animals on a tall platform. Everytime he went to eat he had to jump up on the platform and then back down to his concrete floor. This did a lot of wear and tear on his knee. He never saw medical attention."

You can see he walks much better after he had a surgery on the other knee.not perfect but good enough.
It´s nice to see him playing with the ball too, just like my cats use to play when they are lazy.

[video=youtube;xZdoGk5_sI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdoGk5_sI4[/video]

A4Tw1CMCcAEdkWJ.jpg

That's Monica Rial's (VA for Funimation) cat, you'll be surprise what her cat's name is. Her cat's name is...

MICHAEL JACKSON

No joke, I'm serious it's the truth.

She doesn´t know she´s different, she just enjoy to live
[video=youtube;8XEn2iENpoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEn2iENpoo[/video]

Cat Myth: Cats are Aloof and Independent
I began doing cat behavior consulting in 1982. At the time, no one in their right mind was brave (or foolish) enough to attempt to go into cat parents’ homes and work one on one with them to try to resolve behavior issues. Back then, it was very common to hear people referring to one myth or the other about cats. Many people were resigned to living with a cat who had behavior problems. Many didn’t feel it was worth putting much time and effort into it because everyone knew cats were aloof, independent, not affectionate and certainly untrainable. While I never agreed with those myths, I did understand why people believed them because there wasn’t much accurate information out there about cats. What surprises me these days is that there’s so much information available and all you have to do is watch a YouTube video featuring cats to see that they are social, trainable and most definitely not aloof. People routinely mislabel cats are solitary as well so they never make an attempt to provide companionship for the cat no matter how lonely that the cat may be. The problem with our perception is that we keep comparing cats and dogs and trying to show one species is better than the other. The truth is that they’re just different.

No Aloofness Here
Cats are very tuned into their environment because they’re hardwired as predators. Their keen senses are on high alert for the sight, sound or smell of potential prey. So what you may interpret as a cat being aloof is actually your exquisitely designed companion being ready for anything. Just because your cat may not jump to immediate attention when you call her name, doesn’t mean she’s aloof – she’s focused.

Affection
Cats show affection in so many ways and you might even not notice some of the more subtle ones. Your cat doesn’t have to be a lap cat to be affectionate. She may enjoy sitting next to you or maybe even a several inches away but that doesn’t mean she’s not affectionate. Think about how many times your cat has rubbed her head against you (head bunting), given you one of those slow-blink cat kisses, rubbed alongside of you, purred or given you some scratchy-tongue kisses. Those are all signs of affection. Most cats enjoy being petted as well but not necessarily in the same way you pet your dog. No belly rubs for the cat, please, or else you’ll trigger a defensive response. Some cats may also have preferences when it comes to where on the body they like being petted or for how long. Some cats will enjoy a massage for extended periods and some prefer a drive-by stroke or two. Your cat spends a great deal of effort getting to know you as a companion — what you like, what you don’t, etc. – so if you do the same you increase your chances of having the relationship you’ve always wanted with her.

Independence
While it’s true that in general, cats can be kept home alone for longer periods than dogs, they are still dependent on us and are not low-maintenance companions. The misconception that cats are independent and require little or no care causes many of them to suffer needlessly both physically and emotionally.
Cats need your companionship and in fact, some will go through separation anxiety if left alone too often or for too long – something most people only associate with their canine counterparts. A cat may not display separation anxiety in the way we associate with dogs so it can be easy to overlook the signs that a cat is concerned and confused.

Solitary or Social?

Cats are constantly called solitary creatures and that’s not accurate. Cats are social animals. Their social structure is different than that of dogs. The misconception may come from the fact that because they’re small predators they often hunt alone because they go after prey that’ll only supply enough food for one. Cats are also unique in that they’re predators but because of their size, they are also prey. They must be cautious in certain situations.
I believe the other factor causing people to become confused about a cat’s social structure is that they’re territorial so intercat relationships must go through the delicate process of identifying and negotiating turf issues. You may have a dog who instantly becomes friends with almost any other dog he meets, it may seem frustrating when you realize cat introductions won’t ever be accomplished that quickly. I’ve often said there’s a reason there are no cat parks in the world. Cat introductions require finesse and territorial negotiations. One cat isn’t going to happily bring a ball to the park with the hope that she’ll find another cat to play with.
If you just look at your cat’s world from her point of view you’ll see a wonderful companion who is ready to offer you so much love. Don’t compare her to a dog — look at her for the gorgeous cat that she is. Dogs are great at being dogs. Cats are great at being cats.
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/cat-myth-cats-are-aloof-and-independent/

Aaw, lovely story.
Funny that those kittens jump on the water as usually cats don't like to get wet:D I suppose they thought that they might get those people petting them if they swim to them so they didn't mind getting wet in the process:yes:

These kittens were not ferals someone must have dumped them there.I assume they had lived indoors before with people and they were scared for outdoor life( birds for example can be very scary) and were hungry.
I think people for them meant safety and food.

Protect Trap-Neuter-Return in Washington, D.C.

DC_TNR-082015.jpgWashington, D.C.'s District Department of Energy and Environment’s “Wildlife Action Plan” for 2015 calls for the district to “revisit” its policy on TNR. D.C. has sanctioned TNR programs for years, but this would change all of that. The plan aims to place all community cats in shelters, where they will be killed because they are unadoptable. This catching and killing cats is not only cruel, it’s ineffective, wastes taxpayers dollars, and will not save wildlife. Tell D.C. that you support TNR and don’t want to live, do business in, or visit a city where cats are rounded up and killed.

Your input is crucial to protect TNR and keep our nation’s capital an example for the rest of the country. TNR is the only humane and effective approach to community cats.

It´s a petition in the link
https://secure3.convio.net/alley/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=467

Feeding community cats is not a crime; killing them is.

A new study about people who feed community cats in Australia finds that since some of them do not consider themselves the “owners” of those cats, they do not always sterilize them. About 47% of these cats (deemed “semi-owned” because people feed them) were sterilized, compared to over 80% for “owned cats.” Disapprovingly, the authors write that these people thus increase the survivability of the cats and thus contribute to the number of cats the authors deem “unwanted.” The preferred alternative where people cannot take them into their homes is to take them to a shelter where they face being killed or simply walk away from the cats. Short of that, they posit getting these cats sterilized as an “alternative” (which is welcome). But the long and short of it is that to the authors, people who feed community cats but do not sterilize them deserve censure, rather than thanks. Tragically, this report misrepresents the experiences of community cats and the kind people who feed them.

The study describe the cats as “unwanted” six times in just the first paragraph: “There are large numbers of unwanted cats,” “unwanted cats” are a “serious problem,” “management of unwanted cats results in considerable costs,” Australia has an “unwanted cat problem,” and beware “unwanted cat populations.”

They go on to write that feeding community cats, but not sterilizing them, is not compassionate or altruistic because “semi-owned cats are likely to be contributing considerably to the unwanted cat problem and indicate that more widespread public awareness of the negative impacts associated with semi-ownership is warranted.” To the extent that people do not or cannot take them into their homes, refuse to have the cats killed in shelters, and refuse to stop feeding them because they live on the streets, the authors challenge their “altruism” and “love of cats.”

Later in the study, they offer the “alternative” of getting shelters and other groups to work with the feeders to get the cats' sterilized, which is welcome, but they then follow it up by claiming that when deemed “feral,” this would be illegal in my Australian states.

If the authors want people to take more responsibility, they need to challenge the shelters and the Australian government which works at cross purposes with them. They need to condemn those that undermine compassion and push people underground by engaging in a mass slaughter.

What people need are traps, assistance with trapping, free sterilization, transportation to clinics, and trust between the shelter and the feeder. That’s how you turn “feeders” into “caretakers” and that is how we reduced cat killing by over 70% in San Francisco and kitten deaths by over 90% some 20 years ago.

In other words, the problem is not that these cats exist in the world. The problem is that these cats either face being killed by poorly performing, regressive shelters and pounds or they are subject to poisoning and shooting as biological xenophobes in the Australian government embark on a genocide campaign to put two million of them in their graves within five years: https://goo.gl/akJlla

If Australian shelters and the Australian government embraced 21st century values, the cats would not be a problem nor considered “unwanted.” They would just be cats living their lives, being fed by compassionate people, and where social with humans, placed in homes by shelters meeting the needs and values of their community. Those very same institutions would then assist feeders with medical care, sterilization, advocacy, and protection.

We do not need these cats to disappear from this Earth in order to do right by them. We should not be delivering them to their deaths in regressive pounds. We should not ask people to turn their backs on them by walking away. What we need is for those we pay to care for homeless animals with our tax and philanthropic dollars—shelters—to provide cat feeders with the resources they need to provide those cats with the care, kindness, and, when social with humans, a loving home that is their birthright.
The study is here: http://goo.gl/8aklxA
Nathan Winograd

TNR Across the Pond: Part One

August 20, 2015 | Categories: Becky's Blog

When I first stumbled upon a colony of cats in DC’s Adam’s Morgan neighborhood 25 years ago, I didn’t know how much my life was about to change. I just knew there was something more I could do for those cats. I learned exactly what I could do thanks to information that had just made its way across the pond from England. A new, radical approach to community cats: Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR). I’ve been looking back on those early days of Alley Cat Allies a lot lately as I work on our 25th anniversary book (due out this Fall!) with English animal advocate and author Kim Stallwood. On July 30, I flew to London to meet with Kim, and we spent a week traveling around London and South East England to catch up with some of the most influential members of the UK’s TNR movement.

LN-RogerI was particularly excited to reunite with one of Alley Cat Allies’ very first friends–biologist and cat expert Roger Tabor. Roger and I met for dinner in London’s Piccadilly Circus, and we talked about all the latest developments in the TNR movement, and the latest theories on the history of the cat. From the beginning, TNR was driven by science and an understanding of the species, Felis catus. We have Roger to thank for that. He’s been researching cats and TNR since the ‘70s, and his many published books were a huge help to me as Alley Cat Allies worked to make TNR mainstream in America. In fact, we considered Roger’s book “The Wild Life of the Domestic Cat” required reading for anyone interested in helping cats. He spoke at Alley Cat Allies’ very first conference in 1994, and as our movement for TNR evolved, he continued to be a vital resource.

After dinner came the real treat: a trip to the famous Fitzroy Square. The Square was the site of Roger’s groundbreaking study of community cats in the 1970s–the first study of its kind. Roger carried out TNR for these cats, and as a result, the colony population stabilized and eventually started declining–there are no more cats there today! This colony site was famous not just for being the subject of the first large TNR study–it’s also the colony that inspired T.S. Eliot’s beloved work “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats,” which was later made into the musical Cats. I’d never seen Fitzroy Square before, and it felt like looking at the roots of our movement.

It’s easy to see why a cat biologist would be a huge supporter of TNR, but how about a repeat Vogue covergirl? The link between modeling to cat activism might not jump out at you immediately, but for Celia Hammond, it was unavoidable. After learning what cruelty went into the fur coats she once happily modeled, Celia devoted herself to animal issues–speaking out against the use of fur, and eventually taking up the cause of TNR to save community cats from cruel and unnecessary deaths.

LN-CeliaI’d never met Celia before, so I was glad to join her at the Canning Town London branch of the Celia Hammond Animal Trust (CHAT), which she founded in 1986 to provide low-cost spay/neuter services. The Canning Town branch opened the veterinary clinic and adoption center, or “homing centre” as they say in London, in 1999. This high-volume clinic – one of five CHAT locations – conducts plenty of spay and neuter for dogs and cats. But it does much more for animals– almost every kind of surgery and veterinary treatment. The CHAT Canning Town clinic recently expanded and now has five operating theatres and two x-ray machines. Every surgical suite is in use all day and every day.

The waiting room was full when we arrived. Celia says it’s always like that. Veterinary care can be expensive in London, and the Animal Trust provides high quality care at prices that are accessible to everyone. The clients I saw in the waiting room loved their animal companions and were so thankful to be able to afford care for them. I met Celia’s dedicated staff, who all told me how often they visit our website for information and resources about community cats and TNR, as CHAT prioritizes services for community cats. Celia has been not only carrying out TNR for four decades, but also leading her Animal Trust to provide veterinary services for feral cats in the greater London area as well as South England where their sanctuary is located.

Talking with Celia over tea was a true delight. I couldn’t help but think what a wonderful example she is of Alley Cat Allies’ National Feral Cat Day theme for this year: The Evolution of the Cat Revolution. Celia evolved her own activism from a truly Do-It-Yourself style of TNR in the 60s to being a leading provider of services for England’s cats. She saw a need and she worked to fill it. Her devotion to supporting her staff and training the next generation is invaluable to the TNR movement in England.

I had to ask Celia; why would she leave an incredibly successful and exciting modeling career? “That wasn’t important,” she said. “This is.” Her answer rang true for me, as I know it does for all animal advocates. That’s what drives us to spend as much time as we can working to help cats.

Roger and Celia came to cat advocacy in such different ways, but both have had an incredible impact on our movement. This year, I’ve been reflecting on the first 25 years of Alley Cat Allies’ work, and meeting with the people who were also there at the very beginning. It’s a perfect way to remember our early days and stay connected with the state of the movement in England.

Check back soon for more notes on my visits with cat lovers across the pond!

Visit Roger Tabor at www.rogertabor.com

Visit Celia Hammond Animal Trust at www.celiahammond
http://news.alleycat.org/2015/08/20/tnr-across-the-pond-part-one/

It´s kitten season in Australia

Kitten Season stage one has started early. For those of you who are uninitiated, Kitten Season is a train wreck for animals and rescuers and really heighten the urgency and work of rescue.

The first pregnant mums have just started turning up at pounds. That marks the sign that it's on us.

Kitten Season is the breeding season for cats. When the warm weather hits it goes mental, every single undesexed female WILL get pregnant. Kittens over 3 months of age WILL mate and babies will appear everywhere with no where to go.

This year is particularly bad as there has been no break. Nearly all of rescue has been taking in kittens all year. Normally there is a small break mid year as the season stops . . but with climate change and greater urbanisation, there has been ongoing kittens all year.

Kitten season is really three stages/seasons in one, starting in spring, peaking in late spring or early summer, and ending in autumn. In those seasons there are cycles of massive births and deaths and cats are out of options

As cats have very little difficulty conceiving and giving birth, nearly every undesexed female cat will become pregnant. She may even be bred by more than one male, including those related to her. Brother and sister cats, parents WILL mate.

Even females who are nursing kittens can be rebred and have another litter in the same year.

From November through to January each year, over 80000 unwanted cats will be dumped in australian shelters.

What you can do?

- If you are feeding local cats. Desex them. Get a group of friends together, trap and desex. Dont wait, they WILL get pregnant
- If you have undesexed cats, desex them. Even if they are related . . they dont read books . . they mate.
- If you have friends who have undesexed cats . . desex them. Find a way.
- volunteer at your local shelter or pound. It's going to need it.

If you have said "hey what's one litter I can sell them" you are going to be sadly upset. With 80000 kittens on market you will be stuck with kittens and bills.

With resources stretched, shelters at capacity and foster carers utilised, rescue simply can’t care and rehome all animals received.

The relatively low cost of preventing our pets from producing so many unwanted offspring far outweighs the cost to the community of caring for puppies and kittens in shelters. Regretfully, many of those in pounds and shelters are eventually ‘put to sleep’ because there just aren’t enough homes for them.

We will be pushing extra hard to rehome our various gangs to clear space, but with an early kitten season . . it's going to be a long year.

https://www.facebook.com/minikittyc...7999747356440/514556658700745/?type=1&fref=nf

It´s most dogs but I saw a cat there too
[video=youtube;qmExEi2S_H4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmExEi2S_H4[/video]

I am a real cat lover and can not stand to see cats hurt anywhere. Cats are nature's miracles and the only
animal apart from a dog who give you companionship openly and don't judge you.
They are getting a bad rap here, thanks to some right wing pundit who wants them all destroyed because
our native burdlife is threatened by a few feral cats and a zookeeper was killed by a Sumatran tiger at
Hamilton Zoo recently. Of course everyone is mourning her, but not investigating was led to the Tiger called
Oz to attack her.

I thnk he has a great dream here
[video=youtube;SoeP4xSumnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoeP4xSumnc[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoeP4xSumnc

I´ve seen in later videos that veterinary colleagues are involved too.
It´s nice when an animalshelter are saving 90% of the cats but more cats and kittens can be saved.
This little kitten would probably not be saved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pritz0dnBk0

I think it´s great, We can help animals by watching youtube videos.

5 Myths About Shelter Cats That Are Completely Wrong

My local pet store is always crowded on Saturday mornings, when the nearby shelter brings its adorable kittens and cats, in the hopes that they will be adopted. Yet however lovable the animals are, some people hesitate because they’ve heard all kinds of myths about shelter cats, most of them just plain wrong. Let’s clear up a few misconceptions.

1. Shelter Cats Are Damaged Cats

It’s a common belief that there must be something wrong with cats that are up for adoption. Not true! Most cats end up in a shelter when their owner can’t keep them anymore; there may be financial issues, a divorce, or even a death. Whatever the problem, it becomes impossible for this person to keep caring for a kitty. In other words, these cats are often homeless through no fault of their own, and they are healthy, active animals hoping someone will take them home.

2. It Takes A Long Time To House-Train A Shelter Cat

Along with the idea of shelter cats being damaged comes another myth: those cats are in shelters because they behaved badly, so their owners kicked them out of their homes. Again, not true. Even if a cat was brought to a shelter due to a behavior problem, there could be many reasons for that, including the previous owner’s treatment of the animal. In addition, most rescues and shelters work with cats to socialize them with other animals and often use foster homes to accustom them to both other pets and children. Don’t assume the worst about shelter kitties.

3. I Could End Up With The Wrong Kitty

This is unlikely to happen with a good rescue or shelter, since shelter workers strive to make sure your cat adoption goes smoothly and that you and their cat are a good match. This is, after all, their main objective, and since they spend a whole lot of time with their cats, they take pride in matching you up with the right kitty companion. They also may do follow-up visits; when I adopted my wonderful black cat Jaspar from a shelter in Los Angeles, a volunteer visited my home several times to make sure everything was going smoothly. To further ensure you get the right cat, many rescues even specialize in specific types, such as small cats, bigger cats, or particular breeds of cat.

4. Shelters Will Make Me Jump Through Hoops To Adopt A Cat

It’s true that there are certain procedures to follow, but this is to protect both the cat and the companion. Shelters want to make sure that their kitty is going to the best possible home; the staff working with those animals come to know them well, and want the best for them. Adopting Jaspar involved several visits to the shelter, a detailed application form to fill out, a staff member visiting my home to make sure it was suitable for Jaspar, a waiting period of 24 hours, and finally signing a contract and paying a fee. At age 14 months, Jaspar had already been abandoned twice in his life, so I understood why it was important to make sure I would be a good mom. That said, if you don’t like the way a shelter is treating you, you can always try a different shelter or rescue

5. A Shelter Cat Probably Has Health Issues That I’ll Have To Pay For

In my experience, quite the opposite is true. When I adopted my adorable but feisty cat Jake from a rescue in Rockville, Maryland, he had already been seen several times by a veterinarian. As a kitten, he had suffered some respiratory problems; these had been treated and I was given all the details of his medical history. I never had any health issues with him. That’s unusual, since most animals will have a health problem at some point, but I was happy to know that he had received excellent health care before he became mine. If you’re concerned, ask the people at the shelter how they evaluate the animals that come to them. Be sure to get a written copy of the evaluation and any veterinary care to keep as part of the animal’s medical record.

Have fun selecting your shelter cat!

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/5-myths-about-shelter-cats-that-are-completely-wrong.html#ixzz3nKtyntjg

I used to write a story on some cat forums about the difference in feral cat, shelter cats and ordinary cats

Lisa thought her cat was so special and lovely ,she wanted the cat to have kittens .
She had friends who wanted kittens and she knew they would get good homes.
3 kittens were born , Maja, Brumma and Ariel ,and they got the best food for kittens and all the vaccines kittens need.
They moved to their new families and everyone was happy.

Maja had a good life together with her family.

Brumma was loved too and her family brought her with them when they were going to visit some friends in another town.
They stopped at a rest stop but they hadn´t noticed that the cats cage was broken and when they opened the door to the car the cat went out and then she was scared of something and run away.
The family were going to spay her but they thought she was too young yet.
They searched for her but they didn´t find her.
Brumma found a place where she could find some food now and then some protection against the cold, rain.
A male cat came there and then kittens were born.They survived and had kittens.
Brumma had become a colony cat and her offspring were feral cats.

Ariel´s family thought they didn´t need to spay her because she lived indoors only.
One day they needed help from a carpenter and she forgot to close the door .
Ariel went out and then she was scared by the noice from machines and she get panic and runs away.
The family search for her but after a while they think she is dead.

A catfriend notice a skinny cat with kittens and he trapped her and the kittens and brought them
to a shelter.
Ariel didn´t have an identification tag ,the shelter had a homepage and they had a picture of Ariel in lost cats.
But her family didn´t look there, they were not interested in a shelter cat.
Ariel had become a shelter cat.

It´s just a story to tell they are all cats..

Another thing I have had feral cats who never had lived indoors before they came to me and they knew how to use a cat toilet.
(I used some common sense and thought what were they using when they lived outdoors? Then I started with soil and such things)

Back