To Catlovers

Re: to catlovers

Doing the Right Thing

We try hard to do the right thing for every cat who comes through our doors. When Sheila Smith started the sanctuary over 15 years ago with those first seven cats, that usually meant rescuing them from dire circumstances and giving them a safe place to stay. Now that some of our residents are in their teens and have been with us for many years, doing the right thing for them can mean dealing with a wide range of issues.

One of those longtime residents is Pretty Boy. He came to us almost ten years ago as a feral cat who had been hanging around the home of the city manager back when we were working to get a TNR ordinance implemented in Round Rock. Because he was very shy and used to living outdoors, Pretty Boy moved into the Outback. He did well, but stayed up in the far reaches away from people.

Pretty Boy didn't come to the sanctuary alone, though. He was very closely bonded with Tuxie, who we think may have been a litter mate and was in the same feral group when Pretty Boy was trapped. They were often seen hanging out together, and over the years have remained very close.

Like a lot of formerly feral cats, after years living in the Outback and seeing people around every day Pretty Boy grew more comfortable with our presence. He began hanging out on some of the lower shelves and as long as we didn't approach too closely he'd even pose for us and didn't run off to hide.

Eventually Pretty Boy felt comfortable enough around us to relax and take a nap down low in the main part of the Outback instead of sticking to the high shelves - he realized that he could trust us not to touch him.

He'd even come down on the floor and get very close to us when chicken treats were being passed out. Recently we noticed that he was looking much thinner so we trapped him, after trying for several days, and took him in to be checked out. Sadly, the diagnosis was CRI - Chronic Renal Insufficiency (formerly known as CRF). There's no cure, but there are some medications and treatments like daily subcutaneous fluids that can help CRI cats to live longer and feel better. That's not an option for Pretty Boy, though - he just won't stand for being touched, held or medicated.

We confined Pretty Boy in a condo in Uptown where we could keep a close watch over him. He was very unhappy being inside, though. We tried to trap Tuxie to bring in with him, but Tuxie kept eluding us. And even if we got Tuxie inside, we still wouldn't be able to medicate Pretty Boy and they would both probably be pretty unhappy with nowhere to get away when they wanted to. So we thought long and hard, and looked into Pretty Boy's eyes to try and understand what he wanted and what would be best for him.

It quickly became clear to us, and we released Pretty Boy back out into the Outback - his longtime home where he has been happy and lived a wonderful life for so many years. With CRI he's not likely to have any sudden critical health emergency, but rather a slow and steady decline as the disease runs its course. That would be the case even if he were in Uptown. We'll still see him every day in the Outback and will be able to keep a close watch on how he's doing. And he'll still no doubt come running for his beloved chicken treats when we're passing them out.

And most important of all, Pretty Boy is reunited with his lifelong companion, Tuxie. Cats have a sixth sense about these things, and no doubt Tuxie knows his friend is ailing and will stay extra close. CRI is unpredictable, and Pretty Boy may have only weeks or perhaps many months left with us. But for whatever that time is, we are certain that he is in the right place, living life on his own terms. To us, that is "the right thing".

Every cat at the sanctuary has a story. For the ones who have been with us for many years, we get to know their stories very well. And because we know them so well, even when their story takes a painful turn at least we are in a position to make sure that for each day they are with us they have what they need, get what they want, and are able to live the wonderful lives that they deserve, surrounded by love.

http://www.shadowcats.net/read more/doing-the-right-thing.php

Yesterday, I received this email from the new director of a high-volume, high-kill shelter who had the entire staff watch Redemption, my film about the No Kill revolution in America:

"Just wanted to again thank you for the DVD… We just had an 'all hands' staff meeting ... to screen the movie Redemption. (Yes, even made popcorn). 42 people saw the film and had discussion afterwards. Good impact. Good questions. Favorite quote of the day… 'I thought it was impossible. I’m beginning to think it is possible' - 20 year animal services veteran."

In order to spread the revolution in sheltering, the No Kill Advocacy Center and No Kill Nation have sent 3,664 DVDs to shelters across the country. And in the next several weeks, they will also go out to 2,243 rescue groups.
As the film demonstrates, No Kill is a humane, sustainable, cost-effective approach that allows "open admission" animal control shelters to save all healthy and treatable animals: nokill.org
Lets hope more directors respond like this and then follow through with the programs and services that save lives: http://goo.gl/jubDpi
Onward and upward...
https://www.facebook.com/nathanwinograd

Friday.................finally...........................

CUO39VqXAAA5bPP.jpg:large

CUMg7-HXAAAZjVP.jpg:large

CULOfqFWwAAzWwc.jpg

CUIlEwvWcAA1816.jpg:large

Crazy cat lade package arrived :giggle:
CUCNrYwWwAIZ1up.jpg:large

Unchained: Mufasa is returned to the forest after a life in the circus
Posted: 19 November 2015. Updated: 19 November 2015

Mufasa the mountain lion lived for 20 years chained in the back of a pick-up truck amongst rusting circus equipment. Despite Peru’s ban on wild animals in circuses, there seemed little hope for Mufasa as the circus went undetected, on the run, moving between remote villages. Then in a dramatic raid earlier this year, wildlife officials and Animal Defenders International rescued the elderly cat, who is believed to be the last wild animal in a Peruvian circus.

Watch our video of Mufasa’s incredible rescue here:
[video=youtube;Z8yEotKoYUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yEotKoYUk[/video]

ADI President Jan Creamer who led the rescue team in Peru said, "It was heartbreaking to see Mufasa chained among the circus equipment, living on the back of a pickup truck. A heavy harness and chains were wrapped around his body and as we cut them away, he stretched, free, for the first time. It is magical to see him moving about in and out of the trees in his own piece of protected forest. Mufasa was torn from the wild and has endured the worst possible life and will need special care so I hope people will help us give him a wonderful retirement by making a donation today.”

http://www.ad-international.org/animal_rescues/go.php?id=4101&ssi=24

A very Happy Thanksgiving from Blind Cat Rescue

It sounds good with a spay and neuter fond, but to spend these money to remove the cats..2bad.. what was he thinking?

It takes some time before you see some cats but they are there too

A study of shelter cats finds that cats who are gently petted and talked to by humans have a markedly lower chance of getting an upper respiratory infection. Cats who were not stroked and talked to gently were over two times more likely to get sick (due to stress) than cats who were. Ironically, many shelters do not allow people to touch the cats due to fear of disease, placing signs throughout the shelter to that effect, even though it is the absence of touching that makes it 2.4 times more likely the cat will get sick.

The study also has enormous implications for the lives of cats deemed “feral.”
Cats who are labeled “feral,” “unsocial,” “fractious,” or “aggressive” are virtually all killed unless the shelter embraces neuter and release/return to field.
The study found that while 18% of the cats they tested would have been deemed “feral” due to “aggression” when they started (and thus killed), none of the cats responded that way after day six.
This is also true of cats who could not be touched when they arrived and were stroked “mechanically” with a fake hand.

The study concludes that “a 3-4 day holding period” is not “sufficient to differentiate non-feral from feral cats.”
So not only do staff lack the expertise to make such determinations (any cat can act “feral” due to stress in a shelter) and not only is it inhumane to kill cats for behavior reasons (there is no such thing as an “irremediably psychologically suffering” cat nor a cat whose defensive behavior should ever deem them a public safety risk as cats instinctively flee risk), but these cats are killed too quickly to make a valid determination.

The conclusion: Shelters that do not have a “mental health” component (touch, talk, play through volunteers) in concert with a “physical health” component (vaccination on intake and other medical care, cleaning/disinfection) are often working at cross purposes since the two are inexorably linked.
More importantly, this study underscores how it is often the shelter’s own policies that cost cats their lives. Shelters which do not allow cats to be touched, do not allow volunteers to socialize cats, and want to reduce holding periods in order to kill cats more quickly are not operating in the best interests of cats.
The full study is here: http://goo.gl/x3ov9V

Oh that was wonderful to see Mufasa rescued and released into such a nice sanctuary. Mountain lions are my favorite big cat.

5 adorable lil' kittys from Super Sonico

super_sonico_01_1.jpg

EHDevgc.jpg

Washington, D.C. Cats & Wildlife Threatened With Death

Back in September, a public hearing was held on a Washington, D.C. plan that falsely blamed cats for the perceived decline in local wildlife. The plan called for making non-lethal community cat programs like TNR illegal, which would result in the round up and killing of cats: http://goo.gl/Sja4ex

The draft plan was costly, short-sighted, inhumane, and at odds with the values of the cat-loving residents of the District, a not surprising outcome as drafters of the plan were proceeding to a predetermined conclusion regardless of actual facts. Unbiased scientific studies were not included, animal welfare organizations with a mission of protecting cats were not consulted, and true reasons for wildlife decline were ignored.
Indeed, only groups hostile to cats were invited to participate in the drafting of the plan, while those who work to protect cats were not, including the Washington Humane Society, the animal control authority for the District and the agency which carries out the TNR program at no cost to taxpayers.
Despite being flooded with comments against the plan, despite being given scientific studies that contradicted their claims, and despite proof that TNR is being successfully implemented across the country to reduce the number of cats, the drafters of the report were unmoved and are proceeding to a predetermined conclusion.
The final report was just released and the drafters still want the cats dead, though they are couching their language by saying they will be "revisiting" the city's support of TNR to prohibit the release of cats.
Where are the cats supposed to go?
Not content to kill cats, they also want deer and geese dead: "The ultimate goal should be to reduce the resident Canada geese population to zero through a variety of non-lethal and lethal control measures." The final report is here: http://goo.gl/joMLfq
If you live in the District or surrounding metro area, please contact the City Council and politely ask them to pass legislation to override and prohibit the proposed lethal response: http://dccouncil.us/council

We successfully did exactly that in San Francisco a number of years ago. In 1993, for example, following months of research and public testimony, the San Francisco Commission on Animal Control and Welfare voted down a call to round up and kill community cats in City parks based on arguments similar to those made in the DOEE draft plan.

In 1997, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors likewise voted unanimously to remove language from the City’s Sustainability Plan—before it was approved as a document for San Francisco’s future—that falsely called cats a major threat to biodiversity and would have led to their round up and killing.

And again in 2000, backed by predation studies on four continents (13 studies in Europe, 12 in North America, nine in Australia, and one in Africa) that exonerated cats for the decline in songbird and other wildlife populations, the Board of Supervisors unanimously rejected language proposed by ideologues on the San Francisco Commission on the Environment attempting for the third time to kill cats based on this kind of misinformation.

https://www.facebook.com/nathanwinograd/posts/1072583479432562:0

I don´t know how many species of big cats there are..and smaller cats like sandcats
[video=youtube;87aJgGqYsSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87aJgGqYsSk[/video]

Friday's dose of cuteness
enhanced-28722-1409308491-1.jpg

Suitable photos for the season
christmas-cat-wallpaper-christmas-clothes-for-cats-christmas-clothes-for-cats-728x546.jpg

images

Cats-Vs-Christmas-Trees-cat-in-trees-1-595x350-595x330.jpg

christmas-cat-02-wallpaper-cats-and-christmas-cats-and-christmas-728x582.jpeg

Unusual xmas tree ornament:)
13147.jpg

This cat is going to Santa's naughty list
tumblr_ngr3gdxWUP1qb6v6ro2_400-2-1419030018.gif

Lastly, notification:
Remember as days get colder animals are attracted to the warmth of cars so check wheel arches or other hiding places
CVupLaEU4AIpR_U.png

The Companion Animal Protection Act was introduced yesterday in the Florida Senate: https://goo.gl/3OQx52
SB 1108 would make it illegal for shelters to kill animals if there are empty cages or kennels, if animals can share a cage or kennel with another animal, if a foster home is available, if a rescue group is willing to take the animal, if an animal can be transferred to another shelter, if the animal can be sterilized and released, and more.
Similar laws in other states save nearly 50,000 animals a year, have reduced killing statewide by 78%, have led to save rates of 94% and higher, and have cut millions of dollars in wasteful spending.
Such a law is not only necessary, reasonable and an effective means of saving lives, its passage would also bring Florida’s sheltering procedures more in line with the humane, progressive values of the American public.
But I need your help in getting it passed.

The Florida Animal Control Association is run by people whose shelters, in the words of one, see their jobs as “herding” (and then killing) animals. In other words, a slaughterhouse. For shelter directors accustomed to operating their facilities with little to no oversight, no lifesaving expectations, and virtually unfettered discretion to avoid doing what is in the best interests of sheltered animals, laws like SB 1108 (and HB 71) are deeply threatening. And they will fight legislation that gives the animals a chance at life. Instead of ending up in landfills or turned into ash, these animals could be chasing balls, sleeping in the sun, curling up on laps, loving and being loved in return.

If it is to have any chance at passing, we need a lot of people to demand it.
If you live in Florida, please contact your local legislators and ask them to cosponsor and support SB 1108 and HB 71: http://goo.gl/CKFgdm
If you live outside of Florida, please share with those who do. You can also bring CAPA to your state.
Here is a copy of the model law: http://goo.gl/inpD68
Here is a free guide on how to get it introduced in your state: http://goo.gl/NRbCIQ

https://www.facebook.com/nathanwinograd

Here's Patchy, one of the 6 ferals I care for (mama and 5 kittens) relaxing after enjoying some cat snacks. As you can see by her tipped left ear, I had her spayed, as well as 2 of her sisters. Mama is still elusive, outsmarting the traps I've set, but I won't give up.

Here's another one of my TNR ferals. Her name is Mini Vlad (Mini for short).

20151213_155754-1_zpst7tetl4i.jpg

Here's another pic of her (on top of the feral outdoor shelter I made). We're on the second level and you can see Vladimir down below. :)

20151213_160044-1_zpsibibqzlm.jpg

^^ Beauty cat is that Mini Sheila :)
I think it is a good advise
cat-car-enging.jpg
She's the biggest of her litter, so I named her Mini Vlad because my boy was the biggest of his litter. I've letting everyone I know to honk their horns and tap on the hood before they drive off.

Yay, I finally trapped the mean tom that's been attacking my TNR crew! He's hissing a bit, but calm (for the most part). I'll take him to the local rescue in the morning. Excuse my voice; I'm still getting over a cold.

This is awesome. A farmer wakes up to this choir each morning.

Last edited:
Feral cats are scared when you trap them and take them indoors but they get used to it .If it´s cold outdoors you can see them enjoy the warmth indoors..although they prefer that you are outdoors.
Anyway there aren´t enough homes for feral cats indoors.they need their own buildings to keep them warm
[video=youtube;l_n-bTM0ZfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_n-bTM0ZfE[/video]

Back