Tupac Shakur Appreciation Thread

I'd Rather Be Your Lover

I had no idea Tupac and Madonna were ever together.
They did a song together that was never released. Well the song did come out, but without Tupac's part. I think it was similar to the situation of the George Michael & Mary J. Blige duet in the US. Both Tupac & George got into some legal issues at the time the songs were supposed to come out and the labels of Madonna & Mary axed the releases, not wanting their artists to be associated with them because of the bad press.

Re: Tupac Shakur apprecition thread

Anyway, supposing what he said is true, imagine Madonna saying the same, she would have been called incredibly racist.
If your image is Afrocentric or pro-black or talking about being against "The Man", the black audience would see it as hypocritical to be dating a white woman. The letter actually says it was his image and audience he was worried about, not necessarily what he thinks himself. I don't know if you've heard of the rap group X-Clan, but they have Afrocentric imagery in their videos. Black people dating or marrying white people has been an issue for a long time with some black people in America all the way back to slavery & Jim Crow, just like dark skin & light skin or having "good hair" is. Afrocentric is not racist in itself, it's more is a black pride and culture thing. Madonna's primary audience is not black, so there are not the same issues there on her end.

crossover

Hell, MJ too gets a lot of flak there for marrying white women.
I think he got it from some long before that. Sometimes when a black artist gets crossover popularity like Mike, Lionel Richie, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Prince, Motown Records in the 1960s, etc. they're accused of selling out to the white audience or watering down their music to reach them. Especially if their earlier audience was mostly black, rather than someone who mainly had a white audience from the beginning like Johnny Mathis & Jimi Hendrix. I've heard many say why did Lionel abandon the R&B and funk of early Commodores to do songs like Say You Say Me and Dancing On The Ceiling. Some have commented on Mike doing duets with white singers like Paul McCartney & Mick Jagger instead of Teddy Pendergrass or somebody. James Brown & Sammy Davis Jr have been criticized for being seen with President Nixon and called "Uncle Tom".

Lets not forget Whitney getting booed at the Soul Train Awards for that reason. I know people say only white people can be racist, but as far as I'm concerned, it's an alternative word for prejudiced and bigoted.

I have not said this on that forum Respect mentioned, but they had an episode of Blackish recently where Tracee Ellis Ross freaked out over her son dating a white girl. Lawrence Fishburne answered "that's what I marched for". It was funny, but true. You'd think we'd be better than this by now.

Last edited:
Re: crossover

Touching on the MJ thing, I know it didn't help that he was suffering from vitiligo. Given the lack of knowledge on the condition at the time, no doubt many people thought he was doing it to "rid himself of his African American roots" or something BS like that. Which is why he emphasised how proud he is to be black in the Oprah interview when he first discussed it.

@Respect I feel it's even more sickening when you realise that just some decades before, there were people literally being attacked, outcast and even murdered for simply being in their sort of relationship. I know this is easer said than done but if Tupac actually did genuinely like/love Madonna, he should've stood up against the status quo and used his influential position to help try and change things for the better.

That forum you talk about sounds disturbing and very brainwashing.

EDIT: That article DuranDuran posted mentions her behaviour in a David Letterman interview. I'm just quickly skimming through that and this part I just watched is revolting really. Not Madonna, but David Letterman's behaviour. He's telling her to go kiss some stranger in the audience and keeps pressuring her over and over again to do so when she obviously doesn't want to. Do you think that'd happen with a guy? Nope, gah it's sickening.

Although she calls him out on his actions, questioning why he is so obsessed with her sex life, straight up calling him a sick f*ck afterwards, which was glorious hahaha. More respect to her, less to him.

Last edited:

was it uncool of Pac to leave Madonna because of race? yes!!! do I get it though? yes!

This is coming from a Pac fan..

Was Michael a fan of tupac? I know he was sort of a fan of B.I.G and i know Janet act in that movie with him.

Interesting enough, I have never heard any criticism levied at Quincy for marrying white women.

??????????

I didn't mean it like that. I believe in interracial dating and being with the person you love despite ethnicity or race but what I meant was that Quincy jones has not faced the same level of criticism that Michael for example faced throughout his life for marrying and having kids with a white woman. I think it's hypocritical of people to do that but then again MJ was always an easy target for people.

ummm i'm confuse what this have do with the thread.

also I understand what you mean. Michael had right to married and date anyone he want. i think there two things with this. one the media. like you said Michael was an easy target. and two other people and his fans.

at the end of the day Michael had his choices who want it to married. though i'm gonna agree that he should of been more open with people he was dating. you just date someone because you want kids. that what Michael mess up at. even if he did loved those women he really should talked about they future.

nobody perfect. nobody marriage perfect. though in some ways Michael was wrong.

I have no problem people marrying different races and cultures. i'm actually one of those people who fight for it. though at the end of day everyone has a right to have their family how their choose. though you really can't stop anyone falling in love with someone.

also Michael loved all kinds of women. their culture and race was okay with him. but it has been say that he loved women from brazilian with long legs. LOL!

by Preezy Brown | June 16, 2021 | Vibe
tupac-shakur-2pac-channel-sirius-xm-e1623880971785.jpeg

Today (June 16) marks rap icon Tupac Shakur’s 50th birthday and if you’re looking to celebrate by taking a deep dive into Shakur’s catalog of music and interviews, SiriusXM has you covered.

As part of the satellite station’s Black Music Month festivities, SiriusXM has launched The 2PAC Channel, which is dedicated exclusively to the late rapper’s legacy. It will feature songs from his extensive catalog, as well as stories from his closest confidants and collaborators. Debuted on June 1, The 2PAC Channel (Ch. 104) will also include a segment during which various artists and celebrities will be able to spin their own favorite Pac joints and share the backstory behind their picks. E.D.I. Mean—Pac’s protégé, close friend, and member of The Outlawz—along with other figures from the late rapper’s circle will share their own memories, detailed accounts of their time with the rapper, and insights into his artistry.

In addition to The 2PAC Channel, SiriusXM has also launched The Prince Channel (Ch. 333), which will showcase the best of the late maestro’s musical catalog, including B-Sides, live performances, and Purple Playlists with commentary from the Purple One’s creative peers and close friends. These limited-engagement channels will run throughout the month of June on SiriusXM and its affiliate stations.

Here's some nice mixes Jossy did with 2pac and Michael Jackson :

They Don't Give a **** About Us:

Where U Been

Letter 2 Unborn Child

Back