Was this MJ's new peak when it comes to his vocals?

Did MJ reach a new peak with his vocal abilities right before the end?

• Total voters
If every fan has that album, I have to wonder why everyone keeps talking about albums like History and Invincible when there's stuff out there like The Jacksons live album.

I agree!!!

Every fan on this board should read your post.

It is really really a shame and in my opinion very poor taste that there is no talk about the Jacksons Live album.

OK, then please explain to me why Michael started lyp syncing on Dangerous tour, and almost didn't sing anything live on History tour? I guess his talent just grew right? lol. Well, maybe because of his age and for the fact that when you're getting 35+ it's very common to not be able to sing as you USED to do. It's a different thing saying you enjoy his later darker voice, but to say his vocal range was better and "the difficult note combinations and such" when he was 50, I'm just not buying that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkXw3tnrOXU - listen to THAT. That's perfect!

as I had said before. were not comparing endurance right now. were comparing his ability to sing difficult arrangements. I'm not suggesting that he can sing for two hours better now than he could sing for two hours in the past.

As I had mentioned before in response to the dangerous and history tours, the man had a lung disorder. Your going to get winded a lot faster. But before he actually gets winded, he would sound a lot better than he EVER did back in the day. during the dangerous era, he had a much wider range than in the 80's. His range expanded so he could hit deeper and lower notes, but he did not lose the high notes he had during the 80's.

Look at human nature dangerous tour. most of the song sounds horrible, but get to the part with "why, why, why, oohh tell her" for those few seconds he sounded better than any earlier renditions of the song.

basically his lung disorder took away his endurance. if you give him a minute to catch his breathe though he was ALWAYS better than at any point before that.

I guess that kind of explains my feeling on the history tour as well. his ad lybs for billie jean sounded better live, than the way his voice sounds on the actual album after being touched up in the studio. his adlybs on beat it were always incredible as well.

as for push me away, that's not real impressive. I'm not saying nothing from that era is impressive obviously. but where is the growl that switches to a soft falsetto in what sounds like an impossible note combination? or the going from low pitch to high pitch?

Last edited:
Look its down to personal preference. Some people prefer the way he sang on the Triumph and Victory tours while others prefer how he sang on the BAD and Dangerous tours or how he sang on that Human Nature This Is It rehearsal. Respect each other's opinions guys and stop trying to belittle others who may not necessarily agree with you.

Another thing that is annoying me is the constant criticism of Michael's singing on the HIStory tour, you are all aware now that Michael was suffering from lupus and that he had a problem with his lungs which would affect how long he can sing for and obviously singing and dancing at the same time. This is a medical reason and not Michael's fault but yet some people 'blame' him for it. Maybe think about what you are saying before criticising.

That's what we've been saying - down to personal preference. The only thing we've talked about was Michael's vocal range, all us said though that, that doesn't determine how much one enjoy his voice.

Look its down to personal preference. Some people prefer the way he sang on the Triumph and Victory tours while others prefer how he sang on the BAD and Dangerous tours or how he sang on that Human Nature This Is It rehearsal. Respect each other's opinions guys and stop trying to belittle others who may not necessarily agree with you.

Another thing that is annoying me is the constant criticism of Michael's singing on the HIStory tour, you are all aware now that Michael was suffering from lupus and that he had a problem with his lungs which would affect how long he can sing for and obviously singing and dancing at the same time. This is a medical reason and not Michael's fault but yet some people 'blame' him for it. Maybe think about what you are saying before criticising.

just for the record, I'm not angry at anybody who disagrees with me about this, and it is not my intention to belittle them. were just disagreeing and talking about it. were not mad at each other or insulting each other.

just for the record, I'm not angry at anybody who disagrees with me about this, and it is not my intention to belittle them. were just disagreeing and talking about it. were not mad at each other or insulting each other.

I wasn't directing it at you dancemasterman :). I know you are being respectful with the discussion. There were just a couple of people earlier in the thread who were implying fans were not being honest or were deluded just because they said that they actually thought his singing was better than ever on the Human Nature rehearsal which I didn't think was fair.

I wasn't directing it at you dancemasterman :). I know you are being respectful with the discussion. There were just a couple of people earlier in the thread who were implying fans were not being honest or were deluded just because they said that they actually thought his singing was better than ever on the Human Nature rehearsal which I didn't think was fair.

For me, the only questions I asked was if people actually have heard stuff like The Jacksons live album, which could be a good thing to hear before making a judgement of when Michael was at his best.

And I believe that in this thread there has just been a regular discussion, nobody has insulted anyone.

Last edited:

as I had said before. were not comparing endurance right now. were comparing his ability to sing difficult arrangements. I'm not suggesting that he can sing for two hours better now than he could sing for two hours in the past.

As I had mentioned before in response to the dangerous and history tours, the man had a lung disorder. Your going to get winded a lot faster. But before he actually gets winded, he would sound a lot better than he EVER did back in the day. during the dangerous era, he had a much wider range than in the 80's. His range expanded so he could hit deeper and lower notes, but he did not lose the high notes he had during the 80's.

Look at human nature dangerous tour. most of the song sounds horrible, but get to the part with "why, why, why, oohh tell her" for those few seconds he sounded better than any earlier renditions of the song.

basically his lung disorder took away his endurance. if you give him a minute to catch his breathe though he was ALWAYS better than at any point before that.

I guess that kind of explains my feeling on the history tour as well. his ad lybs for billie jean sounded better live, than the way his voice sounds on the actual album after being touched up in the studio. his adlybs on beat it were always incredible as well.

as for push me away, that's not real impressive. I'm not saying nothing from that era is impressive obviously. but where is the growl that switches to a soft falsetto in what sounds like an impossible note combination? or the going from low pitch to high pitch?

That's YOUR opinion that Michael sounded better than ever during Human Nature on Dangerous tour. The thing I meant with Michael not singing live during History tour is that because he had trouble singing live because of lupus, perhaps he had a little more trouble hitting those notes in the studio sessions too.

And when it comes to arrangements, I find it most likely that before the 90's Michael didn't use the same sort arrangements in many songs as he did before, and that's why I believe it's not worth mentioning as a reason why Michael was a better vocalist 2009 than in 1980.

Personally I enjoy his voice during the Triumph era the most. His voice is a little sharper from Bad and after, and as I said, in my opinion I enjoy Michael's early adult voice more.

The thing I was wondering was how people can vote so it's 60-13, it's unbelievable, because I feel that many fans doesn't have every Jacksons album, because there is so little discussion about them even though they are terrific albums. Many people here seems to focus on the "Solo Michael", but he has done so much great work with his brothers that often gets ignored by many fans.

I think the results of the poll just reflect how excited folks are about the release of the film right now and also how happy everyone is to hear MJ singing live again and sounding good. I think if we're honest, most of us expected a LOT more lip-synching from the TII rehearsals and we're all just pumped to see that he's actually doing it for real this time and sounding damn good as well.

But we really haven't seen enough to make a proper comparison to past tours...

I listen to, appreciate and enjoy the music of the Jackson brothers as well.
Jermaine has some mean ass albums. And we do talk about
The Jackson's music on here.

Ok now I understand-If you say a vocal peak is for you when a singer can hit a big sepctrum of vocals than you have created your definition of "vocal peak" That is perfectly alright!

But my definiton of "vocal peak" is a different one.

I love for example the Young Elvis Voice but if I go by your defenition his vocal peak was in the 70s. The Young Elvis couldn´t sing songs like MY Way etc.
But the 70s Elvis couldn´t sing songs like Jealhouse Rock so fresh like in the 50s.

THis is really difficult!

The same goes with MJ.

By your definition the older MJ was at his vocal peak(his vocal coach said in an interview the late MJ gained notes in the lower register without losing the high ones so he could hit more notes) but I love the more soulful late 70s mid 80s vocals.

Michael could even during The Bad Tour still sing songs from the Thriller album almost like the original versions and most important the Jacksons songs like Lovely One when he already done material like Dirty Diana.

In my opionion Michael couldn´t sing these kind of songs like the original versions during Dangerous Tour and later. Just listen to Shake Your Body at the Msg concert, or Michael singing Human Nature at the Dangerous Tour. For me it´s not the magic that once captured me.

I listen to, appreciate and enjoy the music of the Jackson brothers as well.
Jermaine has some mean ass albums. And we do talk about
The Jackson's music on here.

Yes, it's some talk about the music Michael produced with his brothers, but it isn't getting near the attention it deserves, especially since History and Invincible (in my opinion two of his weakest albums along with BOTDF) is talked about everywhere here.

Some of you are mistaking touring with just being able to stand and sing. Of course during the Triumph & Victory tours, Michael could do so much more vocally while dancing around the stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean his voice had peaked. Age plays a big factor in endurance, so while he may not have been able to bust out those vocals we all love while moving, doesn't mean it can't be done in other circumstances.

IMO, If we had the chance for another studio album after the tour, people would've been blown away.

That's YOUR opinion that Michael sounded better than ever during Human Nature on Dangerous tour. The thing I meant with Michael not singing live during History tour is that because he had trouble singing live because of lupus, perhaps he had a little more trouble hitting those notes in the studio sessions too.

And when it comes to arrangements, I find it most likely that before the 90's Michael didn't use the same sort arrangements in many songs as he did before, and that's why I believe it's not worth mentioning as a reason why Michael was a better vocalist 2009 than in 1980.

Personally I enjoy his voice during the Triumph era the most. His voice is a little sharper from Bad and after, and as I said, in my opinion I enjoy Michael's early adult voice more.

The thing I was wondering was how people can vote so it's 60-13, it's unbelievable, because I feel that many fans doesn't have every Jacksons album, because there is so little discussion about them even though they are terrific albums. Many people here seems to focus on the "Solo Michael", but he has done so much great work with his brothers that often gets ignored by many fans.

based on the actual live vocals that we have seen from the dangerous tour and the history tour, I doubt he had trouble hitting those notes in the studio. he hit them perfectly live, he just didn't hit them perfectly for two hours straight in a row. Plus it's not like he sounded all auto-tuned on the history album. :)

to be fair though were not talking about dancing right now or running all over the stage. were talking about his voice.
Its a testament to how good his voice was then, too be able to control your breathing and deliver those kind of vocals is an amazing feat. If I watch TII and hes doing as much on the stage now as he was then, which I doubt because its a rehearsal, then I could say, yeh, maybe it is better.

You can't compare the vocals of a concert that runs for 2 hours, with rehearsals filled with gaps that took place over a matter of months. If you cook one potato in an oven and one in a microwave the results will be different, they'll both be cooked but they won't be the same.

I have the Jackosns live and I must say, Ben is magic, definitely the best live version of that song hes done especially as an adult, simply beautiful.

Good example, especially on the love you save.

??? Why did you compare playback with live vocals???

Well, he didn't sing Off The Wall live in History Tour that I know of and he sang his *ss off during Triumph Tour, so I want people to see the difference ;)

Listen from 1:21 MJs was is in absolute top form. Just magic!!!

Victory Tour Mike is the best!!

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVdKl6I7xU it begins minute 1:21

I have a much better quality but cannot find the good quality on youtube right now-but you get the point even with the bad quality his voice during Victory was absolute amazing!!

This is the real raw Michael -Mike with a powerful voice check this out!!!!!

All This is it clips must be compared to this amazing performance when it comes to voice power!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4btBLa9Q1yg&feature=player_embedded

and you´ll see nothing can compare to a real live performance. This performance of This place Hotel destroys in my opinion the whole History Concert. I rather watch this performance over and over again than watching the entire Playback History Tour.

Last edited:
Listen from 1:21 MJs was is in absolute top form. Just magic!!!

Victory Tour Mike is the best!!

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVdKl6I7xU it begins minute 1:21

I have a much better quality but cannot find the good quality on youtube right now-but you get the point even with the bad quality his voice during Victory was absolute amazing!!

Jermaine was really good in that too.

Here you can hear something happend between the Dangerous Rehearsals and the first Dangerous Concert.

Compare it for yourself:

Rehearsal Billie Jean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBQGKKUPnzU

Concert Billie Jean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QmAm225y6E

Well you compare it with the last Billie Jean performance for the 1st legg of the dangerous tour. But I have always said that something happend with his voice in the late 80´s and early 90´s.

Compare when he talks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGH-iQ0T4yA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s92BVuQbuyg&feature=related

Triumph Tour very rare footage singing Can you feel it live

It begins at minute 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oYfHJj2TA

And watch the same video at minute 4:40 again very rare Triumph live performance video of This Place Hotel

By the way during the Triumph Tour MJ was wearing the Glove. Many people believe MJ wore the Glove in the Thriller era-but he already wore it during Triumph!

Last edited:
Triumph Tour very rare footage singing Can you feel it live

It begins at minute 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oYfHJj2TA

And watch the same video at minute 4:40 again very rare Triumph live performance video of This Place Hotel

By the way during the Triumph Tour MJ was wearing the Glove. Many people believe MJ wore the Glove in the Thriller era-but he already wore it during Triumph!

Yeah kind of cool when he used a black glove!

Well you compare it with the last Billie Jean performance for the 1st legg of the dangerous tour. But I have always said that something happend with his voice in the late 80´s and early 90´s.

Compare when he talks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGH-iQ0T4yA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s92BVuQbuyg&feature=related

WOOW

Very good videos it is so obvious if you watch the two videos one after another. Hmm this is quite strange why did his speaking voice changed so much within 3 years??? What happend???
Of course I´ve noticed it back in the days but I´ve not an explanation other than cosmetic surgery

Last edited:
The quality of this Victory Concert clip is so good

This is the best quality vid I've seen of the Victory Tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4btBLa9Q1yg&feature=player_embedded

There must be a whole concert in this quality.Where did he get the clip??? Is he an insider?? Noone besides him has the clip in this quality and why does it say Production. Lurod in the beginning????
I wonder if he has the whole concert

Has anyone seen a whole Victory Concert in this quality????????

Back