Weekend News Bytes: February 1-3, 2008 (Updated for Feb 3, 2008)

Re: Weekend News Bytes: February 1-3, 2008 (Updated for Feb 2, 2008)

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Magazine/Article.aspx?id=692694

Site last Updated: Feb 2 2008 11:25PM Still a ThrillerCover FeaturePublished:Feb 02, 2008
thumbnail.aspx

IN LIVING COLOUR: Michael Jackson hangs out with the flesh-eating dancers of the mega-hit, Thriller
thumbnail.aspx

DRESSED FOR SUCCESS: Jackson’s gone through many changes as has his musical style
thumbnail.aspx

Picture: Skyline/Rex Features
thumbnail.aspx

Picture: (AP Photo/EBONY Magazine
thumbnail.aspx

quoteline.gif

quotestart.gif
A world without Michael Jackson would be a very, very different world. And I think we should all feel very blessed that an artist of that calibre came into our lives, because he has enriched our lives
quoteend.gif
quoteline.gif

Michael Jackson’s classic album, Thriller, is 25 years old. We pay tribute to its continuing impact. By Lesley Mofokeng.

Wet perm, pleather jacket, shoulder-pads and Moonwalk. Welcome to November 1982, the month of Michael Jackson and Thriller, the album that would transform pop music and cement his place as the Elvis of the ’80s.
Thriller was Jackson’s second collaboration with the Academy Award-winning knob fiddler, Quincy Jones, and it was to be the ultimate meeting of minds.
Along with the album came the 14-minute long music video, Thriller, directed by John Landis, which broke with the three-minute conventions. In it Jackson transformed into both a werewolf and a zombie and surrounded himself with a bunch of nibble-footed, partially scabbed undead dancers who knew how to keep up with the beat.
It cost 800 000, making it the most expensive video of its time. It was also the stuff of nightmares: flesh-hungry zombies, their arms outstretched, it all made walking in the dark, let alone near graveyards, real torture for kids.
The reason Thriller towered over the ’80s? Hits. Seven of them. To make an album push 104-million units, you’ve got to have the right amount of number ones, and Thriller did: the posturing Beat It, the shimmering Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ and the lean funk of Billie Jean, which coaxed us all into lip-synching in front of the record player (because it just seemed silly not to sing along to a song like that).
It took me at least 20 years before I figured out that the chorus actually went: “Billie Jean is not my lover/ She’s just a girl who claims that I am the one/ But the kid is not my son/ She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son” (thanks for that lyrics.com).
There was also the cheerful, if somewhat glitzy The Girl Is Mine, featuring pop icon and then-friend, Paul McCartney, a duet that seemed to signify the passing of the mantle of pop royalty from The Beatles to the 25-year-old Jackson.
The music industry in the early ’80s was about excess, pushing boundaries, making artistic statements and egomaniacal changes to production — especially programming. The frantic cocaine-and-mirror-ball disco of the ’70s was dead, and it was Jackson who came along and buried it under the high sheen of Thriller.
It’s been 25 years since it impacted on the music scene, and now Sony/BMG are releasing the 25th anniversary edition, with all the original tracks as well as six bonus songs featuring today’s pop stars: Beat It 2008 with Fergie; a new, hyped-up Kanye West remix of Billie Jean; a remodelled, far more electro-funk version of Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ with Akon; will.i.am’s remixes of The Girl Is Mine and Pretty Young Thing; and For All Time — a rare, unreleased cut from the original Thriller recording sessions which was left out at the time, but now finds its place on the album, newly mixed and mastered by Jackson himself.
Still, the remixed songs are getting mixed reviews, most of them unflattering, labelling the music “unremarkable”. Goes to show how original the 49-year-old King of Pop was.

The digipack also comes with a DVD featuring Jackson’s short films and Making Of’s for Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean — and his special TV performance at the Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever first broadcast in 1983.
Sony/BMG says that the Michael Jackson Thriller 25th anniversary celebration kicked off in December 2007 and will continue throughout 2008 with the release of a new single and a multifaceted global marketing campaign featuring high-profile television, radio and online events around the world.

It’s hard talking about Thriller as just an artistic masterpiece because its commercial success is just as astounding:
80 consecutive weeks in the American Top 10, 37 of those weeks at number one;

Seven of the album’s original nine tracks became top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100;

The individual singles from Thriller reached number one chart positions in the US, the UK, France, Italy, Australia, Denmark, Belgium, South Africa, Spain, Ireland, New Zealand and Canada;

It was the top selling album two years running in 1983 and 1984 in the US, and;

In February 1984, Jackson got a record-breaking 12 Grammy nominations, winning eight.
It even did well in South Africa at a time when apartheid was at its height. Jackson was at his best then, but self-destruction, plastic surgery and molestation charges are what he’s all about now, and the re-release of Thriller to this generation’s young audience may leave them a little confused.
Who can blame them? Jackson has morphed into an asexual and racially alien being that no one quite understands.
It’s all-too-easy to bemoan his fish-belly white skin, teepee nose and little girl whisper, but that doesn’t take away the significance of the former Jackson 5er who went on to set world records.
The fact is that Jackson deserves all the accolades heaped on him, notably:

The Guinness Book of Records naming Thriller the Best Selling Album of All Time — an achievement unsurpassed to this day;

Being named World Music’s best-selling pop male artist of the millennium;

Presented with the American Music Awards’ Artist of the Century Award;

Being inducted into the Rock ’n Roll Hall of Fame twice: in 1997 as a member of the Jackson 5 and as a solo artist in 2001.
Awards aside, Jackson’s Thriller remains one of the greatest of our time. US record company LaFace’s executive Antonio “LA” Reid couldn’t have put it better when he noted: “Before him there were The Beatles and Elvis and Frank Sinatra; Michael Jackson takes his place right alongside those greats.
“A world without Michael Jackson would be a very, very different world. And I think we should all feel very blessed that an artist of that calibre came into our lives, because he has enriched our lives.”
But even the King of Pop has been having a rough time for a while sales-wise — due in part to the music industry meltdown, along with Britney and Rihanna being his hot young music rivals. He’s even threatened to dump Sony, his long-time record label.
Their relations have been strained since the dismal sales of 2001’s Invincible, which only moved a measly two million — a failure by his standards.

To the younger music consumers who count Britney, Usher and Justin Timberlake as pop icons, Jackson is a distant memory. To some, he belongs to an era that has no place in a market that’s constantly evolving and in an industry in a state of flux — having to fight off piracy and other technological advances threatening the way music is made, distributed and sold.
It’s virtually impossible to repeat the success of Thriller during the ’80s. The record company won’t be raking in astronomical sales like the original did; in fact, they will be lucky to clutch a fraction of those sales.
A quarter of a century on, even though Thriller paved the way and changed it all, the re-release may not be able to grab hold commercially. This doesn’t mean that it will lose its influence.
If anything, Thriller 25 years later may be pop music’s saving grace — a throwback that could get today’s artists re-looking their originality and daring.
A few years ago, Rolling Stone magazine tacked Billie Jean at number 58 on its list of 500 Greatest Songs of all Time, which proves the genius that is Jackson. But with all the bad press over the last few years, it would take some kind of miracle to put him back in favour with the world.
However, Thriller’s longevity still proves that he has a place up there with the King and those lads from Liverpool.

Thriller and me
Thriller didn’t just change Joe Average. We chatted to some famous fans of the album about its influence

Andile Ncube, TV presenter
It was a little before my time, but I recently bought the remastered version to experience the greatness of Thriller, which is undoubtedly the greatest album ever released. It was a milestone for music in general, the only album where he released a single for each and every song. For me that was amazing. It will never be bettered.

Tamara Dey, performer
It’s the music video and the song that I knew well. I remember as a young girl how I used to be scared of the video because it was spooky. Musically, Thriller is an incredible pop song. I still listen to it . The choreography was a specific style, that you can’t find anywhere. Jackson is a theatrical performer and I like that .

Randall Abrahams, Idols judge and music writer
It was an important album. Thriller helped the music industry sales- wise and it’s a phenomenon I don’t think will be repeated. The video made him the first black musician to be played on MTV.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka, veteran musician and businesswoman
All I can think of is the dance. I was young enough to go to parties during the day; in fact, it was my matric year. I remember how everybody wanted the Michael Jackson jackets, the red, black and white ones. Wet perm for the boys was the look to have. If you were seen with a boy like that, then you were cool. I used to be a fan , everybody was a Michael Jackson fan.

Without Thriller we wouldn’t have...
The syncopated choreography of fancy footwork used by Usher, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo and Chris Brown.

The programmed looping bass line now very evident in drum ’n bass and electro-hip-hop, popularised by artists such as Goldie and Roni Size, Timbaland, Missy Elliott; and vocally, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and Jay-Z. The danceable bass line hook can be likened to a sound of an old locomotive steam train.

Rihanna’s 2007 Bad Girl Gone Bad album and the single Don’t Stop the Music, which uses a generous sample of the famous “mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-koo-sa”, which was Jackson’s invention in Thriller.

The orchestra-pop so obvious in English crossover artist Sarah Brightman’s work. And to think that it all began with the marriage of symphony and pop in Jackson’s Billie Jean.

A Thriller in Manila — Filipino prisoners have taken to dancing to the hit song during their one-hour exercise session (http://tinylink.co.za/17a0d3).

The pleather jacket, which was created by New York-born film and theatre costume designer Deborah Nadoolman Landis. It spurred countless knock-offs and its influence can still be found. Even the Beat It jacket is still being imitated. US R&B singer Ray J wore a vintage one in a recent music video.

Overpriced music videos that tell egomaniacal stories of excess and a self-love € la Gun n’ Roses’ November Rain and Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters.

Last edited:

Michael did the best halftime show in history in my opinion . Anyone who says he lacked talent in it is totally crasy and need to get some glasses on and open your ears. To say Prince did better please Prince is ok as singers go and i even like him but he comes no where near the talent that Michael has .

Re: Weekend News Bytes: February 1-3, 2008

michaels performance wasnt good at all, a. he mimed, b. hes song choice was awfull and c. it just lacked amazement. where as prince on the other hand...

I agree that Prince's superbowl halftime show was better than Michael's (c'mon, dude performed 'Purple Rain' in the rain....classic), however, I don't agree with your sentiment that MJ's performance wasn't good.
It wasn't great, like some people here think, but it was FAR from mediocre.

Hollaback.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...00m-thriller-and-got-paid-600-98487-20307165/

I was star of £700m THRILLER ..and got paid £600

EXCLUSIVE 25 YEARS ON FOR BEST-SELLING ALBUM EVER

By Deborah Sherwood And Annette Witheridge 03/02/2008

Thriller was the video that changed pop music forever... and turned Michael Jackson into the biggest star in the world.
Made by a top Hollywood director and lasting 14 minutes, it was the most expensive pop promo of its era with a thenunprecedented budget of £400,000.
It helped *****'s Thriller album to become the biggestseller of all time with profits of £700million.
Now, as a 25th anniversary edition of Thriller is released this week, featuring remixes by stars such as Kanye West, we can reveal how the unknown actress chosen to star alongside ***** was paid just £600.
Ola Ray was a 22-year-old glamour model trying to break into acting in 1982 when she beat hundreds of other hopefuls to the part of *****'s girlfriend in the mini-horror movie.
The former Playboy centrefold was a huge fan of the singer and says she was always confident of landing the role. "The minute I walked into the audition I knew it was mine," she says. "I read a few lines, danced to some music and the rest is history."
Ola still had to wait two weeks until she got the good news. But she'll never forget her first meeting with *****.
"I was getting changed, so I was crouched down halfnaked on the dressing room floor and he came in and giggled," she recalls.
"I was used to taking my clothes off in front of strangers.
Michael seemed very relaxed about it." Ola, 47 and a full-time mum living in California, knew Thriller was going to be no ordinary video. "It helped that I was crazy about Michael and he seemed taken by the fact I was a Playboy model," she says.
Ola and Michael became good friends during the two-week shoot. She says she loved to flirt with the star, who was then dating actress Brooke Shields. "I teased him, saying I wanted to be his girl," she says.
"After we shared a limo, I sprayed my perfume around so he'd remember me. He was cute but childlike. Michael then was nothing like the Michael of today. He loved chasing me or jumping out from behind a wall."
The Thriller video, directed by John Landis of Blues Brothers fame, was a record-breaking success, helping start the MTV phenomenon.
The album is still the biggest seller of all time, with 104 million sold.
But Ola didn't have a share of the honeypot and ended in financial trouble. She says Michael used to help out with cheques of around £2,500. "I did lots of TV commercials but I wasn't exactly flooded with work," she says.
"Everyone thinks I made millions but I don't care... I wouldn't change anything." She saw ***** a few years later but lost touch.
In 1992 Ola was charged with cocaine possession and after a stint in rehab she left Los Angeles to start a new life in Sacramento, where she lives with her daughter Iam, 12.
Ola says: "I'm just so proud to have been part of something that's still so special."
104m sold.. no one can Beat It
104MILLION copies of the Thriller album were sold - 50million in the US alone.
It topped the US chart for 37 weeks, was No1 here too, and spent 190 weeks in the charts.
Its sales record is unlikely to be broken thanks to a long-term decline in record sales.
Thriller spawned five Top 10 UK hits, including Beat It, P.Y.T. and No1 Billie Jean.
It cost £400,000 at a time when most video budgets were around £25,000.

Michael did the best halftime show in history in my opinion . Anyone who says he lacked talent in it is totally crasy and need to get some glasses on and open your ears. To say Prince did better please Prince is ok as singers go and i even like him but he comes no where near the talent that Michael has .

I can't believe anyone could actually utter those words from their mouths. Michael's was not only the best, it was unprecedented, as with anything Michael does. Let's take a moonwalk down Superbowl memory lane...:D

[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]DMP made television history with the world’s largest television audience when Don produced and directed the first Super Bowl Halftime Show to feature a major recording artist. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Michael Jackson headlined the Super Bowl XXVII Halftime Show with a 26-piece, 12-ton stage that was assembled by a 275 person crew in three minutes and 48 seconds. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]The show also featured a 750-member drill team and an elaborate card stunt involving 102,000 spectators.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]”Dazzling”[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]–USA Today[/FONT]​
:thumbs_up:
:moonwalk

http://www.donmischerproductions.com/01_Highlights/Highlights/18_MJ_SuperBowl/MJ_SuperBowl.html

Hello everyone here is your updated news for Feb 3, 2008. As you may all know today is the Superbowl and we are all waiting on this commercial to see exactly what Michael has up his sleeve. Please keep an eye out on this thread or the MJ Superbowl Ad w/ Akon thread for any updates.

February 3, 2008: Michael Jackson News:

Akon expects Michael Jackson ad for Super Bowl; 'You're going to love it'

13 hours ago
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - It's supposed to be top secret - but Akon is giving out a tidbit of information about the rumoured ad that Michael Jackson is doing for the Super Bowl.
"We just did a commercial - it's a Pepsi commercial. He actually involved me in it so I feel like I'm a part of that process," Akon told The Associated Press on Friday at Maxim's pre-Super Bowl bash.
Jackson is releasing a 25th anniversary edition of his bestselling album "Thriller" on Feb. 12, featuring acts like Akon, Kanye West and Fergie on remix editions of that historic disc's songs.
"It's really moreso Mike picking a lot of the acts that he liked and admired today, and kind of getting them the big songs that they like and reinventing it like it was their own," he explained. "Everyone has their own taste of how that would have been."
It's been reported that an ad for the CD will be featured during the Super Bowl. But while Akon did confirm a commercial does exist, he was closed-mouthed when asked how to describe it.
"Oh, he might kill me," Akon laughed about Jackson. "But it's gonna be funny. You're going to love it. He's not even in it. But it's crazy. I want to tell you so bad!"
Akon was a surprise performer with singer-rapper T-Pain at the Maxim event, one of dozens of soirees happening in the Phoenix area for Super Bowl week. But Akon, best known for songs like "I Wanna Love You" and "Don't Matter," wasn't planning on taking part in the party madness.
"At every big event, it's always the same excitement," Akon said. "Right now I'm so focused ... about trying to take over, I don't focus on the party side."

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/story/300139.html

The variety show also includes a Michael Jackson "Thriller" number, a fashion show and all-cast performances set to music from "High School Musical 2."
While the show gives special-needs high-schoolers a chance to shine onstage, the Circle of Friends program is the day-in, day-out miracle that immeasurably enriches their lives, says Terri Norgren of Wichita, whose daughter Jennifer will be performing in the "Building the Circle 2."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/1403662

Its a fun family experience. Its worth keeping the kids up for great appointment TV. Its international appeal is centered around the fact that is a very positive enjoyable show its not mean and nasty like some reality shows. Instead it is just a whole heap of fun most people will recognize the songs in the show... theyre almost all global hits like The Police, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Michael Jackson... you name it. It seems audiences around the globe are looking for this style of entertainment.

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/bollywood/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1222645

The Museum is a well known international museum of wax statues and boasts of an impressive collection of statues, including figures like Michael Jackson, and Celine Dion among others. the unveiling of the statue is scheduled to be a huge event in Paris. SRK has promised to be a part of it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0203_music_coverfeb03,1,6625209.story

Yet just because there are no mega-stars on par with "Thriller"-era Michael Jackson doesn't mean music has lost any of its cultural importance. On the contrary, more people are listening to more music than ever. A beehive of musical niches and subcultures has sprung up, built on free MP3 files, blogs, YouTube videos and MySpace-generated buzz. The year-end music polls of critics celebrate those niches. The 557 critics who voted in the annual Village Voice music poll and the 452 who voted in the Idolator.com poll ranked LCD Soundystem's "Sound of Silver" as the year's best album, while the 648 bloggers compiled by the Hype Machine Web site had Radiohead's "In Rainbows" at No. 1, with LCD Soundystem at No. 4.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695249785,00.html
Fans of Michael Jackson's famous "Thriller" dance video must check out the effort by 1,500 inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in the Philippines. In "Thriller (original upload)" prisoners have remade the popular 1983 video directed by John Landis.

Byron Garcia, a security consultant for the Philippines government, originally uploaded the video and takes credit for starting the unique program of choreographed exercise routines for the inmates. In December 2007, Time magazine ranked the video fifth in the top 10 list of most popular viral videos.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080203/NEWS/802030367
One student's downloading selection included Green Day's American Idiot, Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind and In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins, court records show.
One favored songs by Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, Prince and The Police.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/343321.html

But the former Gulf Coast standout didn't prepare himself for was the sea of media and media types attacking just about everyone five days ago at Media Day.
"There was so many people around, you would have figured Michael Jackson was around or something," Spann said.

Michael Jackson HIStory:

2003 - In Britain, the 90-minute documentary "Living With Michael Jackson" was aired on television.

Last edited:
So MJ will not be in the commercial and it will air in the first half of the Superbowl....well good then, now I don't have to sit and watch the whole damn thing.

it's funny, we are all speculating ..what's goint to take place with Michael, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

5 hrs to go...:punk::punk::punk:

Thanks for the news, y'all.

Akon needs to keephis mouth shut! LOL.

I like that Ola Ray article. It was pretty good.

Thanks for the news, y'all.

Akon needs to keephis mouth shut! LOL.

I like that Ola Ray article. It was pretty good.
Agree about Akon for sure.

Yeah. I thought the article was pretty cute. Some revealing tidbits in it. Nice that she lays to rest the crap about her feeling cheated in pay for the album and even mentions Michael sending her money to help her out.

So he was fascinated that she was a playboy bunny... lol ... and laughed when he walked in on her half undressed.

It kind of reminded me of his being fascinated with the girl's navel ring during the Virgin Megastore Vince cd signing. Odd things seem to get his fancy.

Yeah. I thought the article was pretty cute. Some revealing tidbits in it. Nice that she lays to rest the crap about her feeling cheated in pay for the album and even mentions Michael sending her money to help her out.

So he was fascinated that she was a playboy bunny... lol ... and laughed when he walked in on her half undressed.

It kind of reminded me of his being fascinated with the girl's navel ring during the Virgin Megastore Vince cd signing. Odd things seem to get his fancy.
MJ is a naturist. I believe he would have been a good surgeon had he not been a musician:D

Me too. Very nice article and from the Mirror at that. I am glad that Ola came around and mentioned that MJ did give her some money. She admitted that she was wrong for what she said about MJ owning her money and wanted to apologized tol him. Too many people like to say that MJ is this and that and when they are wrong, they can't have the decency (sp) to say sorry.

I like what she said about MJ that he was a flirt and that he was not bothered when Ola undressed or was dressing in front of him. She made him human.

Back