Wembley DVD content - discuss Michael, his concert and performance ONLY [discussion ]

Re: Wembley DVD content - Discuss Michael, his Wembley concert and performances Only

I adored the dvd. I already voiced my opinion on the quality in the other thread but putting all that aside it was amazing. Thank you to the estate for finally releasing this. Waiting sure payed off.

Re: Wembley DVD content - Discuss Michael, his Wembley concert and performances Only

I've had the dvd for several days now, and only wached it last night. Kinda reluctant ...
I have a 40-inch flatscreen tv, but after fiddling with the settings (for quite a while) quality was more than watchable. Turn off all those automatic black/white level enhancers, edge smoothers etc. Choose the "film" profile (or sth. similar), and turn down contrast even more. This did it for me. And stay away from any "dynamic" or even "standard" presets. But that should be a given :) And - turn the sound up as loud as possible.
Anyway, as soon as his digitized legs appeard at the back of the stage, I was mesmerized. It did bring back part of what I felt when actually being at the concert back in the day :)
I generally love the Bad Tour live arrangements, and Smooth Criminal, especially blew me away ... That "hotel" intro has always been one of my favourites, and this has been captured beautifully on this recording.
Towards the end - I think - the exertion of playing for three consecutive nights showed a bit, and the odd step was not as precise as it could have been. Probably the reason why TWYMMF was cut. Or the Wembley audience that night was not as enthusiastic as it could/should have been. But those few shortcomings make the experience even more real. You really experience Mike "up close". All in all: fantastic!

Re: BAD 25: The Original BAD Tracks CD 1 [Discussion]

I have a specific distaste for that remastered print. It's like whoever did the mixes worked to remove as much of the "80s sound" as they could. Smooth Criminal in particular just sounds awful. You can't hear the synth because the bass drowns everything out, not even mentioning that everything is so loud that you can't hear the strings anymore. Maybe I'm spoiled because I typically listen to a HQ rip of my 1st pressing vinyl, but still. That warm FM sound of the original mix is irreplaceable. But eh, I'm not going to complain. As long as people are enjoying the album in somem form, that's fine. The 4-disc set is incredible otherwise.

swedis123;3711329 said:
Hi! I looove the dvd!!!!
I have one question only: What song does Greg Phillinganes play in his solo? I think it was a big hit in the 80´s.....

He also didn't "you win again" by the bee gees.
Michael used a sample of that song in "dancing on the ceiling" in ghosts also. Greg also toured with them in the 80s. As well as Clapton.

Re: BAD 25 Demo's unreleased, unheard Studio songs Discussion [previews added]

I'd just like to chime in a bit on some of the conversation on the previous page regarding the demos on Bad 25 and releasing previously unreleased/unfinished material from MJ in general. I'm not trying to convince anybody to change their opinion on the estate releasing this work, or presume to know anything about what Michael would have wanted to happen to it, I just want to share my opinion and observations.

First off, when he was still alive, MJ signed off on The Ultimate Collection, the OTW, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous special editions, and Thriller 25, all of which included unreleased material from each respective album's recording sessions (Dangerous ended up not getting the extra material but it was definitely planned for) and he did not go back and work on these tracks to make them "fit for release" before the they were put out. As a result, these compilations gave us a wonderful look behind the scenes of the creation of our favorite albums. I realize TUC was controversial due to MJ's problems with Sony at the time, and it can definitely be argued that he just "gave them" the demos to be done with them and get out of his contract, but he still provided them...

And he probably knew we loved getting that stuff, too. The reason I think so is because Michael was a self-admitted student of everything -- he loved studying great artists, musicians, entertainers, movie makers, and just about any other professions or subjects you can think of -- so I would think he could definitely relate to us wanting to study him and his creative process. And I like to think that, because of this, he would be OK with us getting this material. Especially as part of an album anniversary project like Bad 25, which is basically build around the idea and concept of showing us that creative process in all aspects of the Bad project, from the music to the short films to the tour.

So, yes, I love what the estate gave us with Bad 25, and I hope that future projects will follow this same concept. In my opinion it is much better to focus on his creative process and vision for the material he worked on during his lifetime, even if it means releasing unfinished demos, than to have other people come in and try to finish his work like they did on Michael. Because this way we get MJ, pure and raw and creating HIS music.*

As a side-note -- I have never been a fan of Thriller 25 and always wondered if it was a project that MJ was really fully invested in. But I don't know. Maybe I just didn't get it, or maybe I wasn't really part of its target demographic to begin with ;)

* This is something will.i.am needs to realize by the way -- there is a BIG difference between attempting to finish unreleased material and risking it not fitting MJ's vision, and releasing unfinished demos and allowing his fans and the rest of the world to study and appreciate his creative process and genius. It's all about how you approach it, and again: Bad 25 did it right.

Was the twymmf in it >>>???????????????????????????

I got the set in the mail a few days ago and listened to (and watched) it today with a good friend/fellow hardcore fan. I did not listen to any snippets beforehand and am glad I didn't. I had an incredible evening, one that I will remember for quite some time. The unreleased demos were better than I expected them to be. I liked the Price of Fame and Free, loved I'm So Blue and Al Capone. The latter was very different from what I thought it would be (in a positive way), it's so funky and relentless. The production on the songs is very 80ish (naturally, more so than the tracks that were eventually finished and released), but that did not detract me too much. I also really enjoyed hearing some similarities to other works, it's great to get an insight into MJ's creative process and how the songs we all love evolved and came to be.

What comes to mind now: I'm So Blue has a bit of a Jacksons vibe (Good TImes, Bless His Soul and Destiny came to mind) and the chorus of Free reminds me a bit of World of Sunshine. Free also reminds me of Fly Away and the lead up to the chorus is very similar to Elizabeth I Love You. The part before the chorus of the Price of Fame ("father always told me..") brought to mind Who Is It. All in all a few great songs to add to the collection.

And I'm really happy and thankful that the Estate gave them to us in raw and unedited form.
I love how you also noticed how much similar to EILY, Free is when it comes to building up. Only fans who really pay attention to most of MJs songs would notice this ;)

The 15 July performance of TWYMMF is accessible through "bonus features" on the dvd, as the song wasn't played on the 16th. It's ace :)

If that's the number on the spine, then it's EK40600.

I actually have 2 pressings with this number, the earlier one (probably from the late 80's) has the intro for IJCSLY cut out but features the original mixes for everything else (Horns in Bad, lower vocals in TWYMMF, Breathing in Smooth Criminal, ect). The later one I have from the 90's with the same number features all of the track revisions that are present on current editions of the album.
thanks for that

Re: BAD 25 CD Live songs Wembley Stadium July 16, 1988 [Discussion thread]

There is a reason why every concert cd I know is a double cd .... because almost every concert lasts for more than 80 minutes ... If you put a Bad Tour show on CD, don't cut out the best parts, like Michael's ad-libbing etc.
Just skipped through it briefly ... concert intro prior to WBSS definitely shortened, spoken "hotel" intro to SC missing ... bah. With all the cool "inbetween songs" passages missing and truncated intros, this live cd is not for me.

Re: BAD 25 CD Live songs Wembley Stadium July 16, 1988 [Discussion thread]

There is a reason why every concert cd I know is a double cd .... because almost every concert lasts for more than 80 minutes ... If you put a Bad Tour show on CD, don't cut out the best parts, like Michael's ad-libbing etc.
Just skipped through it briefly ... concert intro prior to WBSS definitely shortened, spoken "hotel" intro to SC missing ... bah. With all the cool "inbetween songs" passages missing and truncated intros, this live cd is not for me.

so true, its missing the best live-part of the concert! beginning of Rock with you :/

If that's the number on the spine, then it's EK40600.

I actually have 2 pressings with this number, the earlier one (probably from the late 80's) has the intro for IJCSLY cut out but features the original mixes for everything else (Horns in Bad, lower vocals in TWYMMF, Breathing in Smooth Criminal, ect). The later one I have from the 90's with the same number features all of the track revisions that are present on current editions of the album.

whats the barcode and matrix for both?
can u make photos of the disc, and of the front and back of the jewel case?

i have the for example the US version...
"0 7464-40600 2"(barcode) , DIDP 70643 (US Version)

R-725905-1246722010.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=725905

its the first version. with all original remixes.

there is also this one...

"0 61213 40600 3"(barcode) (Canadian Version)

what is the cataloge number of the 2nd pressing of bad

the european edition als have the 2nd pressing...

its the same like this one here...
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Bad/release/291445

but on the disc, below the catalgoue number is "BIEM/STEMRA" printed. but I'm sure the BIEM version also have the 2nd pressing.
i want to know which version of both was earlier?

Just throwing a question in: If I bought my Bad CD in 1988 and it has the spoken IJCSLY intro, does that mean it's the first/original one?

^^do you hear horns in all chorus in Bad like in the video, SC intro with breating and DD (4:52) fades out longer?

Mine is EPC 4502902 bought 1992

f2641b4f00.jpg

3e92838006.jpg

53cefe6212.jpg

Last edited:

^^do you hear horns in all chorus in Bad like in the video, SC intro with breating and DD fades out longer?

No time to check all choruses now :) but there definitely is heavy breathing in the SC intro. The DD fadeout - longer compared to what? Track length is 4.52, compared to the 4.41 of the 2001 edition. Never noticed that before ...

Just throwing a question in: If I bought my Bad CD in 1988 and it has the spoken IJCSLY intro, does that mean it's the first/original one?

I'd say yes.

the fastest way to find out is check out "Dirty Diana" - if its track length is 4:52 then you've got the original version (the single mix is faded 10 sec earlier at 4:42)

I'd say yes.

the fastest way to find out is check out "Dirty Diana" - if its track length is 4:52 then you've got the original version (the single mix is faded 10 sec earlier at 4:42)

Ha! :) Thanks.

edit: same epc number here, lom kit. Thanks.

the catalogue number was never changed!

a hint regarding the original album mixes: when the bad album was released, "Epic records" was a still a unit of "CBS records". a few month later "Sony music" bought "Epic records" ---> all Bad albums released with "sony music" contain the single mixes (I don't know if the album with the single mixes were released with "CBS records")

First off, when he was still alive, MJ signed off on The Ultimate Collection, the OTW, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous special editions, and Thriller 25, all of which included unreleased material from each respective album's recording sessions (Dangerous ended up not getting the extra material but it was definitely planned for) and he did not go back and work on these tracks to make them "fit for release" before the they were put out. As a result, these compilations gave us a wonderful look behind the scenes of the creation of our favorite albums. I realize TUC was controversial due to MJ's problems with Sony at the time, and it can definitely be argued that he just "gave them" the demos to be done with them and get out of his contract, but he still provided them...

And he probably knew we loved getting that stuff, too. The reason I think so is because Michael was a self-admitted student of everything -- he loved studying great artists, musicians, entertainers, movie makers, and just about any other professions or subjects you can think of -- so I would think he could definitely relate to us wanting to study him and his creative process. And I like to think that, because of this, he would be OK with us getting this material. Especially as part of an album anniversary project like Bad 25, which is basically build around the idea and concept of showing us that creative process in all aspects of the Bad project, from the music to the short films to the tour.

So, yes, I love what the estate gave us with Bad 25, and I hope that future projects will follow this same concept. In my opinion it is much better to focus on his creative process and vision for the material he worked on during his lifetime, even if it means releasing unfinished demos, than to have other people come in and try to finish his work like they did on Michael. Because this way we get MJ, pure and raw and creating HIS music.*

As a side-note -- I have never been a fan of Thriller 25 and always wondered if it was a project that MJ was really fully invested in. But I don't know. Maybe I just didn't get it, or maybe I wasn't really part of its target demographic to begin with ;)

* This is something will.i.am needs to realize by the way -- there is a BIG difference between attempting to finish unreleased material and risking it not fitting MJ's vision, and releasing unfinished demos and allowing his fans and the rest of the world to study and appreciate his creative process and genius. It's all about how you approach it, and again: Bad 25 did it right.
I had to quote because I am very much in agreement. Yep, yep and yep. :) Every unaltered demo, idea, concept... they're all precious beyond measure, imo.

Man In The Mirror 3-way split screen performance (all 3 vids start at 3:14)

I loved the extra horns in Bad. Does the extended version of Bad have that?

You could almost say it's fantastic to hear the early version before he messed it up with "Smooth Criminal" :smilerolleyes:...

Although I've never liked all the changes MJ made to some of the BAD songs myself, I think The newer versions of Bad & TWYMMF is a tad better, but the others are not (IJCSLY, DD & SC)...

BUT I have a smile on my face that Sony released the remixed version. Michael wanted the album this way and it's not strange Sony put it out like this. Who am I to judge? If I wanna enjoy the original mix on CD or LP I have four original editions to enjoy!

Al Capone rules!

juust saw the dvd today! Woooow! Words canot describe how i feel! I loved iit. Just loved it!

Man In The Mirror, oh my, that is the best MITM performance i have seen. The band was so awesome. Never thought i would be able to say this but, I finally saw a full Bad Tour 2nd Leg Concert!

I was looking through the Wembley booklet and they had a pic of MJ performing TWYMMF in the white shirt. It looked pretty dope since its not the normal blue shirt. Its under the December/Tokyo shows. Can it be from the Tokyo shows or It can be any show ?

Yeah saw that too. Those pics are from the last show in LA 89

juust saw the dvd today! Woooow! Words canot describe how i feel! I loved iit. Just loved it!

Man In The Mirror, oh my, that is the best MITM performance i have seen. The band was so awesome. Never thought i would be able to say this but, I finally saw a full Bad Tour 2nd Leg Concert!

*hi5* I understand the way u feel brother. This dvd gives me goosebumps, epic Michael, epic band, epic crowd, epic everything. Oh and Sheryl Crow is too cute. :)

We don't know what Michael would have done this time around. But it would have been nice to have the spoken intro on IJCSY for a change. Removing that is different to the other changes mentioned.

Although I've never liked all the changes MJ made to some of the BAD songs myself, I think The newer versions of Bad & TWYMMF is a tad better, but the others are not (IJCSLY, DD & SC)...

BUT I have a smile on my face that Sony released the remixed version. Michael wanted the album this way and it's not strange Sony put it out like this. Who am I to judge? If I wanna enjoy the original mix on CD or LP I have four original editions to enjoy!

Al Capone rules!

We don't know what Michael would have done this time around. But it would have been nice to have the spoken intro on IJCSY for a change. Removing that is different to the other changes mentioned.

I know. I feel you... Love the extended ending to Dirty Diana... The DiLeo breathing to Smooth Criminal. The Spoken intro to I Just Can't Stop Loving You have always been a highlight of the album for me since i bought it in 1987. I'm just trying to understand the situation! If Michael would still be with us he might have added the Smooth Criminal breathing since he rehired DiLeo late in his life? But the other alterations I think would have left as they were in 2001. I miss him...

Back