What Are You Listening To?

@zinniabooklover

I really can’t grasp your music taste, in one post you are all about rock and punk and in the next you are going crazy over old soul and funk. I would love it if you recommended some of your favorite soul/funk songs because your taste in this department is fantastic. That Arthur Conley song you posted above is fantastic!

Stax Volt Tour 1967 / Sam & Dave / Otis Redding

Here you go. The entire thing is fabulous but if you don't have time for all of it at least try to find time (only 10 mins!) for my guys, Sam and Dave. Starts at 7m 18s. It's not just those amazing voices (live!). Check out the dance moves, as well.

Last edited:

Came across this one in my playlist today. Didn't hear it in a LOONG time. The intro seems to be inspired by Tabloid Junkie, but at the same time it's more similar to Breaking News which was released 2 years later. lol

5f75c0aa4262b3f2aa28ea49aaa31a7ecdbcdda1.jpg

@zinniabooklover going straight to favorites, thanks!

This has been lurking in my bookmarks since forever and I still haven't watched the whole thing (some random person keeps posting awesome J5 and Jacksons stuff not to mention about six James Brown videos for me to watch).

Anyway, thought you might be interested.

Otis Redding & Friends / Stax / Volt Revue 1967

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover I actually was not familiar with Sam & Dave until you posted that video. I looked them up and I only know the song "soul man". Anyway of that 25 min video they were the highlight and I will look up some more of their work (they got a limited discography so that's easy to get into), loved the performance. I also noticed they did some JB moves. Loved their sweaty faces and stage confidence and charisma!

@zinniabooklover I actually was not familiar with Sam & Dave until you posted that video. I looked them up and I only know the song "soul man". Anyway of that 25 min video they were the highlight and I will look up some more of their work (they got a limited discography so that's easy to get into), loved the performance. I also noticed they did some JB moves.
😲

Goodness me! It never occurred to me you might not have heard of Sam and Dave. They don't get the recognition that Otis gets or Sam Cooke or Wilson Pickett. But they were awesome. Those voices! The dance moves! Definitely JB but also Jackie Wilson. Who did them first? Who knows? Probably JB but it doesn't matter. They are all awesome.

Loved their sweaty faces and stage confidence and charisma!
Wasn't it just the best? That whole ending, getting the crowd up, singing his way through the farewell, 'We're going backstage to drink wine'. The way he was able to turn that into a song. God, I love it.

Yeah, the stage confidence and charisma. And the way they work as a team. Just beautiful to watch.

@zinniabooklover you'd be surprised how little I know of the 50/60s/70s black artists but I am catching up!
I was actually a folk and rock fan during my teen and college years so it is not far fetched that I don't know many of them lol
In many ways Michael's music was the odd one out in my taste for most of my formative years. But since many years now I'm mostly interested in soul and funk.

@zinniabooklover you'd be surprised how little I know of the 50/60s/70s black artists but I am catching up!
I was actually a folk and rock fan during my teen and college years so it is not far fetched that I don't know many of them lol
In many ways Michael's music was the odd one out in my taste for most of my formative years. But since many years now I'm mostly interested in soul and funk.
You have mentioned this but I keep on forgetting. And it doesn't matter, does it? With the wonders of YT and videos being shared all over the place we can all catch up on all sorts of stuff. You posted the clips from that Budweiser Fest-thing, er, what was it? The Rose Bowl concert that Quincy did with Ashford & Simpson and Michael came on at the end. I had never heard of that.

Don't forget, you posted that awesome footage of my man Wilson at the concert for Independence Day in Ghana. I mean, my god.

@zinniabooklover it is not a stretch to say that music is vital in my life and I am always on the lookout for new or old awesome music. My favorites playlist is so huge that it is getting impossible to wade through. I'm pretty confident Sam & Dave will now expand it 🤣

@zinniabooklover it is not a stretch to say that music is vital in my life and I am always on the lookout for new or old awesome music. My favorites playlist is so huge that it is getting impossible to wade through. I'm pretty confident Sam & Dave will now expand it 🤣
Same. I'm attempting to clear out my bookmarks. That's how I found the Stax Volt video. And the longer one. They've both been sat there since god knows when. I did watch the shorter one a few times and the longer one I had a quick look and thought, 'oh yes, I'll look at that properly'.

Er, yeah right!

The problem is, my bookmarks are stuffed full of treasures. I'm supposed to be editing it down but it's really hard. There's the odd bit that can be dumped but not much. I would say my list is still pretty manageable, atm. I don't feel overwhelmed by it. But it does mean some stuff just doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I was just on my way to find my man Wilson doing the Ghana concert again but got waylaid by Jacksons at Musikladen (which you posted a while back).

Anyway. As you were. :D

@staywild23

Have you heard this? Even if you don't like the song you will at least appreciate the lyrics and the phrasing.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
I've never heard this before!! I love it! Not a style I typically listen to, but I absolutely think this is street witch soundtrack material 😉

P.S. I know you won't be up and about for a few hours yet but I am over-excited, lol.
If there is anything in this world I understand, it's being over-excited lol

Back