What if you had become a fan earlier/later?

raingirl

Proud Member
Have you ever thought would you be different as a fan had you become an MJ fan earlier/later than you did?

This question popped into my head today and I believe I would be somewhat different as a fan and maybe even as a person, had I became a fan AFTER 1993 or 1995.

A fan since 1991 November/December. :D

Thoughts?

I don't know.
Ever since I was 3 or 4 years old, I was glued to the television everytime Michael (or with his brothers) came on making me an instant fan.
I can't image myself becoming a fan later on after seeing al the good stuff he did those days (late 70's early 80's).

But if I wasn't a fan, I certainly wouldn't have became one in the 90's because I was into hiphop and punkrock a lot in those days, so becoming a MJ fan just wouldn't be cool.
I think I would've become a fan a little later when youtube and sites like that became populair after watching his old video's and concert footage.

Have you ever thought would you be different as a fan had you become an MJ fan earlier/later than you did?

This question popped into my head today and I believe I would be somewhat different as a fan and maybe even as a person, had I became a fan AFTER 1993 or 1995.

A fan since 1991 November/December. :D

Thoughts?
Good question, but I find it hard to answer. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. Michael was a part of my world just as much as the sun and the moon. I can't imagine having lived a life without Michael's music, art and his amazing being. I feel bad for the people who became fans after 2000 or even after he passed, because they missed out on so much good stuff.

Dutchie, I agree with you. I became a fan after he passed! I have missed out on so much good stuff he did throughout his life. My family likes Michael but they're not big fans like me!! Man, this question's hard to answer.

I became a fan in early 2008 and I am so freaking glad. was the best time of my life up until June 09.

My mother was pregnant with me when she and my dad saw The Jackson 5 at the Miss Black America pageant. All of my life the Jacksons have been in my world in one way or the other.

I can remember carrying my old 45 record of Rockin Robin. I would even sleep with it under my pillows as a child. lol

I would punch ANYONE out who said anything bad about ANY of the Jacksons. lol

You see, I am 41 and I realize that I am older than the vast majority of you all. lol There wasn't a party that we had that we didn't play A Jackson song.

I have old Right On magazine posters and articles that would awe some of you. lol

I am angry, sad, confused about Michael's choices. I just wish that SOMEONE could have intervened, but then like when my own mother passed, I am trying come to grips that maybe God didn't want him suffering anymore and called him home.

Well I don’t even know how it is to Not be a Michael Jackson fan because ever since my mother was pregnant with me I was kicking in her stomach to his beats. I was born in 82 he was becoming the biggest Supernova at that time. My parents and older brothers were already fans before I was born. So he was and still is a part of me. Michael is a lifestyle for me I have always felt his presence, love and his passion. Like no other he influenced my life and shaped me to who I’m today. He truly changed my life and made me become a better person through his messages. I don’t have the right words here to explain or to tell you how I feel or what I feel. Michael showed us that we are the world and he even thought us how to heal the world. I can only imagine how great this world would be if we all tried to imitate his good work. He has been given me Joy ever since I can remember. Michael was sending out A Major Love and he tried in enormous ways to help heal this world he was a great humanitarian, an example to us all. Unfortunately he came to rescue a world that didn’t really care.

Michael was all about L.:wub:.V.E.

Good question, but I find it hard to answer. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. Michael was a part of my world just as much as the sun and the moon. I can't imagine having lived a life without Michael's music, art and his amazing being. I feel bad for the people who became fans after 2000 or even after he passed, because they missed out on so much good stuff.

Me too

I couldn't have become a fan any earlier, I've been one since birth :lol:
I can't imagine me without MJ, I think I would be completly different !! MJ taught me about love, caring and how beautiful the world can be. Without that guidence, I don't know, nor do I want to know what I would be like

I am fan since January 1992 and I would love to be fan since Thriller era, so that I could watch his big rise. I have also always wanted to be few years older than I am, so that I could afford to attend Michael´s concerts all over Europe during Dangerous and HIStory tour.

Of course, if I had became fan later, I would miss a lot of wonderful moments, but it would also be easier for me from some point of view (Internet, You Tube, forums etc). I remember how difficult it was to get pics, video docs, information. I also remember I sometimes felt lonely and misunderstood with my admiration and love to Michael as a kid/teenager, ´cos I used to live in small town and I didn´t know any other fans. Nowdays Internet makes it much more easier.

Otherwise I think, if I had become fan earlier or later it wouldn´t have impact on me. There have always been many rumours about his strange behaviour, plastic surgery, etc, but I believe most of us were intelligent enough to search some more information and use our brain and heart to discover the truth.

After all, I am very happy that I could share all these years with Michael and that he could form my mind since I was kid. I am very grateful I had opportunity to learn from him for so many years. I believe he made me better person and I will never stop feeling thankful for that.

Before his death I was a very casual fan. I grew up listening Jackson5/Jacksons and watched Michael explode into the incredible solo artist he became. I saw all the big moments in his career/life play out on TV like everyone. Like most people it was just Michael there on the TV or the radio and I liked him and his music but that's about it. I didn't really get into him further until after he died because the loss really hit me. I started researching him and discovering details about him that I didn't know before. I have learned more about him in the past year than ever. I regret not becoming more of a fan than I was before. I guess I took him for granted. He's someone you just never expect to die. It would have been fun to be part of this message board when Michael was still with us. I would have loved to be part of this community back when the trial was taking place. My mind was elsewhere I guess and it took the shock of losing him to get my attention.

I wish I could of become a fan earlier so that I went to atleast one tour! but I was born in 93 so wasnt old enough :( but I've been a fan since then and im soooo glad I became a fan before he passed because the week that he did the o2 press conference announcing TII, and when I actually got tickets to see the man I had always dreamed of seeing was the best week of my life I've never felt anything like the excitement I had!! I'm so thankful for that!! :)

I wish I would have been older to be able to go to at least one of his tour so maybe I wouldn't be that demolished of never been able to see him, I would have ENJOYED the Bad era 100%

Sometimes I also wish I could've bcome a fan very late, so I wouldn't be that demolished since he would not have been a so big part of my life.

Then there are times I wish I never became a fan, I wish he would not have been there so save me, so I'd be gone already, and maybe happy.

No I wouldnt be any different of a fan. I am glad that when I became a fan I was able to see him in concert and that was a magical moment for me. I was a fan pre-allegation times so for me I knew he didnt do those things that he was accused of. Now fans are left with nothing to look forward to but at least we have the memories of him in our world.

I had never really thought about that question before. I guess because I am 30 years old and I have been a Michael Jackson fan since the early 80s. So for as long since I could remember I have always L..V.E. Michael. But I really didn't start becoming the Michael Jackson fan that I am now until the start of the HIStory Era. Where I had become highly obsessed with him. But I often did wonder what it would have been like for me if I was born in 1970 instead of 1980. And being old enough to remember when the Thriller era had started. I was only 2 years old when that era had started. So I really don't remember it. But I am sure my bedroom would be literally covered with MJ stuff. And by the time Michael Jackson mania had started in 1984 OMG would I be so very obsessed with him. Way more than I was during the HIStory Era.

well im fan since 1992, and to be honest i think its really diferent to be a fan since 1992 and a fan since 2006/2007, its not the same love, same admiration, and i think some of the new mj fans( kidies with 12/13 years old are a bit boring and unconsient cause they talk about things they really have no idea what they are talking about, and think they are correct in everything... they havent lived the great times of the king, never seen him in concert, never followed michael during the trials... so i think their way of thinking and (fanatism) is a bit different!! they began beeing fans cause it was on top... with Thriller 25th going on radios and stuff like that... everybody was talking... and started buyng cds and competing each others to see who got the biggest collection loool... thats ridiculous... when i met some and they see my collection and everything i know about michael they start changing their mind lool like: ohhhh i really dont have anything of michael...bla bla bla. Well, kiddies.... thay will change, at least they support michael!:D

I am a fan since 1987, i joined on the right time, because the bad tour and thriller inspired me that much that i am still a DIE HARD fan on this day. So i think i joined the right time, I think if i became a fan later, then i wouldn't be that of a FAN then that i am now.

Well I became a fan in 1997 when that 1993 was still fresh so people were always disgusted with me when they found out I was his fan. I was only 9 years old and had to defend him! It would have been nice to become a fan earlier and have experienced the good times before he was considered you know what. All the bad reactions over the years have really left a mark on me!:(

I really wish I discovered earlier how amazing Michael Jackson is. I became a fan after his death, and I often see that people can hardly accept that. One of the things they say is: Where were you in '93 an '05? Well I was born in '95 and I was only 10 in '05, so I could never understand it at that age. Now I do, and I'm glad I got to know him, altough it was a bit too late.

well im fan since 1992, and to be honest i think its really diferent to be a fan since 1992 and a fan since 2006/2007, its not the same love, same admiration, and i think some of the new mj fans( kidies with 12/13 years old are a bit boring and unconsient cause they talk about things they really have no idea what they are talking about, and think they are correct in everything... they havent lived the great times of the king, never seen him in concert, never followed michael during the trials... so i think their way of thinking and (fanatism) is a bit different!! they began beeing fans cause it was on top... with Thriller 25th going on radios and stuff like that... everybody was talking... and started buyng cds and competing each others to see who got the biggest collection loool... thats ridiculous... when i met some and they see my collection and everything i know about michael they start changing their mind lool like: ohhhh i really dont have anything of michael...bla bla bla. Well, kiddies.... thay will change, at least they support michael!:D

Well, I am fan since ´92 too, so I understand what are you talking about. But don´t forget once we were the same as them. I was only 11 , MJ fan for 1,5 year, when in 1993 first allegations appeared. Of course, I had no idea what I was talking about, what results this situation could have on Michael, but I offended him as much as I could. I have loved him from the bottom of my heart the same as now. Well, the form of my love was different, but the depth was the same, if you know what I mean. Let´s hope these kids will grow up into new generation of mature MJ fans.

oh so many things would've been different if I became a fan just one year earlier, I'd have had a great opportunity to talk to him:(

I am fan of Michael Jackson since 2005.
If I would become a fan earlier I would probably supporting him with the other fans during the trial... :/ I regret I wasn't with him then...
I became michaels fan after the trial.. hmm that's weird :p

If I would became a fan later than 2005 I would be nothing today.... a person without ambitions... I was going to be a bad person. I wanted to stop play on violin, and now this instrument is all I have :) Thank's to MJ who showed me that life is something more than I thought!
Thank you MJ!!! :)

You had an opportunity? When/where?

at home...well not exactly at home but you know...it was a long time ago...I was probably 5 or 6 but I wasn't a fan back then...I barely knew what he looked like...I knew he was a great musician and all, but I had never heard his songs before

Nice topic :clap:

Well, I kind of 'envy' the J5 generation... :blush:
I wish I had been born in the 50 or even 60 so that I would have experienced Michael from the beginning... I can still remember my grandma telling me with a huge smile on her face that she saw this little BIG boy on TV... He was that high and then she showed me the size of a little boy and he could dance and sing like he didn't own his body :wild:

Well, I did become a 'fan' in 82 when I was only 10 so that was the Thriller hype... I haven't regretted ONE second of it. My grandma never really 'presented' Michael to me like an 'idol' but more like a brother, a friend in need :blush:

So, what if I had known Michael earlier than I would have experienced even MORE Magic and memories than I have now, I guess :blush:

Last edited:
I am happy with my time at Nov 14th 1991 at 7 : 30 pm and for me . I wouldn't change a thing No, I am proud to be a Dangerous baby
OTD-November-14---Michael-Jackson-jpg.jpg
If I had not have cottoned on I would have with Scream, or Ghosts/ Blood on the Dancefloor album of that I am sure ..However, Black or White the message ....:thinking: .really fits for me so I am proud to have got on the journey in 1991. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I always believe there were 3 chances for me and my attention span. Michael has sure held it the longest . 1991 -Black or White =Unity. 1995 -Scream =Future/ Early Anime ..strong message
tumblr_m0hivz7DoR1r30ovzo1_500.gif
Ghost=Gothic with strong message
mj-ghost-o.gif
...So for me...:thinking: there were three solid chances to get it. :yes:

Last edited:
Back