What is it about Michael’s VOICE?!

Then with Bad he added texture and made it a homage to James Brown and anyone else he wanted.
How do you see this as a homage to JB? Any specific examples?
Most people say he lost his touch or became a parody, and that's nonsense.
It is nonsense indeed but there really are a lot of music fans who absolutely hate his style of sining, but that is their loss of course.
He always wielded his voice as a tool and as a powerful weapon, as an iconic living piece of history, and as something he could deconstruct and transform as swiftly as his genres and dance moves into something totally of its own class.
Great sentence, I’m sure this will one day be used by a professional writer, make sure you receive your credits when it happens. 😀

I agree with you, @Mister_Jay_Tee. Michael’s voice was quite unique —— in and of itself —— in many, many ways. What great points you make about it, here. A lot of people tend to get into a bad habit of highly praising, and favorably commenting on, his early childhood and younger-teen (“pre- and early-puberty” period, if you will) voice/vocal skills while at the same time ignoring, looking down on, dismissing and forgetting about ANYTHING he had ever sung and recorded after he went through puberty (all of the physical signs, symptoms and aspects of it, including the not anywhere nearly as drastic voice-change* [*which was actually a whole lot less of a voice-change than some fans would like to imagine], the growth-spurt in his height, the maturation of his facial features from child to adult, etc.) and grew up out of his “ ‘cute’ little boy/young teenager” stage of life.

Not only do some amongst the media and the public behave and have the attitude described in the previous paragraph, but over-zealous “pro-‘Motown’ through ‘Destiny’/‘Off the Wall’/‘Triumph’ ” [including the Jackson brothers’ 1981 “LIVE” album] and “anti-‘Thriller’ and everything else afterwards” fanatics (one of whom has his own channel on “YouTube”® regarding his knowledge of singing and music in general, though I very strongly disagree with his views on Michael’s “post-‘Destiny’/‘Off the Wall’/‘Triumph’ ”-era vocals from 1982-2009) negatively judge EVERYTHING about him (the whole entire rest of his life, from 1982 on up until he passed) in one breath, yet call themselves backhandedly “complimenting” him after he passed, in some way or another.

IF one really and truly enjoys listening to Michael’s voice, then one should objectively appreciate it in EVERY and ALL phases and stages of his life and career, not just in a highly personal, anecdotal and subjective way during whichever one or two of his eras some heavily-biased, over-zealously fanatical listeners/so-called “fans” prefer or “feel” is most favorable to them and their personal tastes.

This is only being fair to, and completely honest about, both his voice AND other aspects of his career in the approximately 28 years of his life after his and his brothers’ “LIVE” album was released. Do you understand what I mean?
Thanks for your opinion-

A little constructive criticism, have you considered trying new fonts? For me, the site is in dark mode so the black is very hard to discern. The blue color you use also, it really stings my eyes. Perhaps trying different shades, like Yellow, with Red and Green for emphasis? Would work in dark and light mode, and has a nicer contrast. Just my thoughts.

It's the way off the wall was every flavor of smooth in the book. At 21 he basically went through every kind of voice progression where most artists spend their entire career focusing on 1 kind.

By Thriller he was just doing it for fun. How he tried every genre, and his voice worked for every one.

Then with Bad he added texture and made it a homage to James Brown and anyone else he wanted. For Dangerous he turned his music into stories and his voice was the narrator every time. For HIStory it became a manifesto.

Most people say he lost his touch or became a parody, and that's nonsense. He always wielded his voice as a tool and as a powerful weapon, as an iconic living piece of history, and as something he could deconstruct and transform as swiftly as his genres and dance moves into something totally of its own class.
I love everything about this and especially the bolded - YES, YES, YES.

I have so much to say about his voice, but I just can't put it into words. I'll have to come back to this one hehe

I will say his voice was/is an EXPERIENCE.

Thanks for your opinion-

A little constructive criticism. Have you considered trying new fonts? For me, the site is in dark mode, so, the black is very hard to discern. The blue color you use also, it really stings my eyes. Perhaps, trying different shades, like Yellow, with Red and Green, for emphasis? Would work in dark and light mode, and has a nicer contrast. Just my thoughts.

How am I going to read my posts/comments, though, since the site is in regular Light Mode for me? Will I have to change/switch the site to Dark Mode on my computer and my phone, too, just to be able to read and post everything? The darker font colors (Black and Blue) work better for me in Light Mode. Just asking. But, I will take your point into consideration.

Last edited:
How am I going to read my posts/comments, though, since the site is in regular Light Mode for me? Will I have to change/switch the site to Dark Mode on my computer and my phone, too, just to be able to read and post everything? The darker font colors (black and blue) work better for me in Light Mode. Just asking. But, I will take your point into consideration.
Well I said suggested yellow, red, and green. Those are the best colors for both, off the top of my head.

I mean, I can live with the black, but the blue shade, it genuinely causes me physical pain to look at. That at least, I would appreciate. Thank you for considering.

How am I going to read my posts/comments, though, since the site is in regular Light Mode for me? Will I have to change/switch the site to Dark Mode on my computer and my phone, too, just to be able to read and post everything? The darker font colors (black and blue) work better for me in Light Mode. Just asking. But, I will take your point into consideration.
Your text is almost invisible for me 😂 I mean, I prefer to skip texts that are not white 😅 because they are too hard to read

This is a year old post, but I just joined the forum an hour ago lol but I liked your question! Michael’s voice was so unique and melodic in such a way that he ascended above everyone else’s. That’s the best possible feeling I get when I hear him sing. The energy I get from it, has to be on the same vibrational frequency we all get from it. We all feel its power. The fact that we all adore HIM, AND his music elevates that feeling.

Please! Help me understand. What IS it about Michael’s voice that makes it so tremendous? I’m a huge music fan and have loved artists from all genres and have felt connected and moved by many of their voices. I’ve never really been drawn to traditionally beautiful voices, but rather highly unique voices with style and grit. But since discovering Michael…. sigh…He’s like, the gold standard vocally. His voice is objectively beautiful, but it’s also so much more than that. Listening to him makes it harder to appreciate other artists now… But why is this?

Listening to Michael’s music, especially his live vocals, I feel something inside of me come alive. I feel moved in a way I can’t describe. His voice on all of his songs, no matter the feeling - the softness, smoothness, or grit - I feel shaken by how deeply it resonates with me. It excites me in an almost visceral way. It’s like it goes straight to my soul and the core of my humanity. I really don’t think I’m overselling it here, either. His ability to sing one note and have it transport me is like nothing else I’ve experienced. If a person can fall madly and deeply in love with a singing voice, then I am there, and ready to commit forever lol.

I would really love to hear from others what your take is on Michael’s voice. Why do you love it so much and what makes it special?? I’d love to read emotional responses like mine, but also I’m really interested in anyone who is more knowledgeable about music who can break it down on a technical level. I mean, I know you can’t necessarily provide a technical definition or explanation for soul, but if there is some science behind why his voice sends me I want to understand it!

Thanks! 😊

PS: I’m also in love with his speaking voice. It is so soft and gentle. It baffles me that he was mocked for it, even in a friendly way, because it’s so lovely. But anyway, that’s another topic! haha

I can't believe how long ago I wrote this. Only 4 months into my fandom...

Well, I am here to report that I still don't have the answer (no answer will satisfy me, I fear) but I do still feel exactly the same way. 2 nights ago I spent an hour watching YouTube videos about music theory in a hope of better understanding this exact experience because I was, predictably, crying and ranting about how desperately in love I am with his voice. I still don't know anything. But that's just to say I am certain no amount of time will pass that will change how I feel. His voice will always enliven me in unexplainable ways, and I will always want to understand the magical process that occurs when I hear it and feel every part of me ignited.

The one thing I will add is that I think I now have a *favorite* version of Michael's voice. And I think it's his voice from about 76-87. Specifically, his soft, gentle, heavenly voice and falsetto. I listen to Push Me Away multiple times a day and have for the last 9 months maybe. I cannot get enough of his voice in that song. I mean it seriously breaks me in half. Also his falsetto on the entire Triumph album...I can't even muster the language.

Still, writing that makes me feel a little weird because his raw grit also wrecks me, but in an entirely different way. Maybe in 2023 what I needed was his gloriously angelic voice. Maybe 2024 I will need him to shred me with gravelly distortion.

There is an MJ voice for every occasion and each one is magnificent.

Please! Help me understand. What IS it about Michael’s voice that makes it so tremendous? I’m a huge music fan and have loved artists from all genres and have felt connected and moved by many of their voices. I’ve never really been drawn to traditionally beautiful voices, but rather highly unique voices with style and grit. But since discovering Michael…. sigh…He’s like, the gold standard vocally. His voice is objectively beautiful, but it’s also so much more than that. Listening to him makes it harder to appreciate other artists now… But why is this?

Listening to Michael’s music, especially his live vocals, I feel something inside of me come alive. I feel moved in a way I can’t describe. His voice on all of his songs, no matter the feeling - the softness, smoothness, or grit - I feel shaken by how deeply it resonates with me. It excites me in an almost visceral way. It’s like it goes straight to my soul and the core of my humanity. I really don’t think I’m overselling it here, either. His ability to sing one note and have it transport me is like nothing else I’ve experienced. If a person can fall madly and deeply in love with a singing voice, then I am there, and ready to commit forever lol.

I would really love to hear from others what your take is on Michael’s voice. Why do you love it so much and what makes it special?? I’d love to read emotional responses like mine, but also I’m really interested in anyone who is more knowledgeable about music who can break it down on a technical level. I mean, I know you can’t necessarily provide a technical definition or explanation for soul, but if there is some science behind why his voice sends me I want to understand it!

Thanks! 😊

PS: I’m also in love with his speaking voice. It is so soft and gentle. It baffles me that he was mocked for it, even in a friendly way, because it’s so lovely. But anyway, that’s another topic! haha
Well. Best MJ voice was during History era. Also his voice from Dangerous is quite awesome. His raspy voice from Invincible is brilliant as well. I think his weakest voice was during OTW. Though I like a lot of songs from this era 😀

Well. Best MJ voice was during History era.
He had an amazing voice during this era, of course. But I am not a fan of people declaring something as the objective best. It's all personal preference and opinion.

Also his voice from Dangerous is quite awesome. His raspy voice from Invincible is brilliant as well. I think his weakest voice was during OTW. Though I like a lot of songs from this era 😀
It depends on what you are measuring all of this on. I agree that in Dangerous and Invincible his voice was amazing. you're entitled to your opinion about OTW, but that is definitely not a take I could ever get behind.

As I said, there are many incredible variations of his voice. I don't personally think any of them are stronger or weaker. It is all a matter of preference. He always did different things and used his voice as an evolving instrument. In my mind, he was consistently phenomenal.

He had an amazing voice during this era, of course. But I am not a fan of people declaring something as the objective best. It's all personal preference and opinion.

It depends on what you are measuring all of this on. I agree that in Dangerous and Invincible his voice was amazing. you're entitled to your opinion about OTW, but that is definitely not a take I could ever get behind.

As I said, there are many incredible variations of his voice. I don't personally think any of them are stronger or weaker. It is all a matter of preference. He always did different things and used his voice as an evolving instrument. In my mind, he was consistently phenomenal.
Yes. I agree. Still Earth Song, Stranger in Moscow and Whatever Happens are his best vocals performances in my opinion. His voice was at it's peak in these 3 songs

It's just d r a h c I r, Staywild23.

Spell that backwards

Trying to do work. I mean really trying. But somehow I ended up listening to this and now I'm just in shambles. Multiple times chills all throughout my body. The physical effect this man's voice has on me is indescribable.

Great color choice!
Thank you.
The one thing I will add, is that I think I now have a *favorite* version of Michael’s voice....Specifically, his soft, gentle, heavenly voice and “Falsetto.” I listen to “Push Me Away” multiple times a day, and have for the last nine months, maybe. I cannot get enough of his voice in that song. I mean, it seriously breaks me in half. Also, his “Falsetto” on the entire “Triumph” album....I can’t even muster the language.
I really couldn’t agree more, @staywild23. I would like to also include ALL of the great ballads and slower-paced songs he had ever sung, recorded and performed LIVE onstage in his whole entire career —— I mean every single last one of such songs —— from his great lead-vocal performance of “Who’s Lovin’ You” with his brothers on such popular “variety-show” T.V. programs of the Late-1960’s/turn of the Early-1970’s as “The Ed Sullivan Show,” at the age of 11 years old (then going on 12, nearly some 55 years ago, in 1969), to the absolutely BEAUTIFUL vocals of his that he maintained in his Early-40’s on up to nearly age 51 and the reharsals for “This Is It.”

I am referring to the 2000’s —— specifically, from when he recorded Marsha Ambrosius’/Floetry’s song, “Butterflies,” to “Speechless,” to a great impromptu, spur-of-the-moment A Cappella version of “SMILE” when he was as far away from a recording studio and its gadgetries as he could have ever been, to THE best LIVE versions of “Human Nature” (in 2009 during the “This Is It” rehearsals) “I’ll Be There” (when the Jackson brothers reunited for the very last time, in 2001) and “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” (as a duet with Judith Hill, during those same previously-mentioned rehearsals) that I will have ever heard in my life —— Not just some of them, or a few here and there.

I would like to add, that Seth Riggs had said —— either to Michael directly or about him in reference, in more than one instance on occasion, whatever the case —— that he could not only hit the high notes of his Vocal Range, but actually SING them without any real need to even use “FalsettoAT ALL, in the first place, at least his never having had to rely and depend upon its use as though it were kind of a “crutch,” if you will, as if the use of “Falsetto” were THE ONLY means he could have ever used to sing higher notes in his Upper Register, the way a man with a naturally much deeper, lower-pitched and heavier-timbred voice would have had to do.

Because of Seth Riggs’ view of Michael’s known and potential vocal capabilities/skills in that part of his overall Vocal Register, I think the word “Falsetto” (which is defined as “little false voice”) is at best, somewhat misleading, and at worst, totally inaccurate (particularly and especially, in Michael’s case). Therefore, I would much rather use the terms “Head Voice,” “Upper Register” and “Upper Range” in place of the term “Falsetto,” since there was absolutely NOTHING the least bit “false” about his voice.

Last edited:
Gladys Knight and Michael Jackson reunited during the second night of his 30th Anniversary celebration, in 2001. In a rare interview, the legendary R&B vocalist says she was so impressed by hearing a young Michael singing for the first time: “It made me stop what I was doing. Who is that singing!?” Upon meeting him she remarked that “he had an inquisitive spirit, but he didn’t [yet] know the depth of his talent.”

Thanks! 😊

Michael Jackson's voice is beautiful.

Thanks! 😊

i agree, michael jackson has the most beautiful voice anyone has ever heard before. i personally believe it is because of all the hard work he puts into the songs, and how much he feels the lyrics. like for example, siedah garrett wrote MITM but he chose to sing the song because it touched him so much. i also think that the fact that he was a perfectionist also plays into his music. i just think that he is overall a person who feels touched by music and can express his feelings through it. i remember somewhere he said that he feels awkward with public speaking, but when he is on stage, he feels like he is at home. so basically music is his way to express himself also because he felt shy and like nobpdy understood him [i understand you michael! :( ] his music also touches me, like you said. songs like human nature, mitm, SIM, etc (ALOT more) touch me like that. whenever i hear his voice (whether he is speaking or singing) i just feel like dropping everything and listening to it. with MJs music i feel like i can connect to him through it. nobody understood him at that time (that he didnt want to grow up) and all he needed was a friend like him, which is something that i kind of relate to. (if you let me i'll keep talking about him for decades so i'll stop now hahah)

i also love his speaking voice. it has a calm feeling to it. even when he was angry he was a naturally peaceful person. i love that he isnt like some celebrities that let the fame get to their head. he always stayed humble and remembered that his fans were the ones that got him to the place he is now. it hurts me every day that he is gone but i am also glad that he doesnt have to witness the hate in this world and the people that STILL believe the allegations.

i love you michael. you will forever be respected and missed...

Last edited:

Thanks! 😊

I think that you watch Chris Liepe's analysis of some MJ's songs/voice/technical thingies. Until now he seems the most passionate and enthusiastic professional when it comes about Michael's voice.
I wanted to share my own experience since a while, but somehow words stuck in my mind, maybe because it's such a deep personal experience for me.
I've listened any music through my life, any genre possible, although rock music was my constant.
But Michael...as you said, it's the gold standard now. And I'm in MJ marathon since more than 2 yrs, when I became a ...fan.
And yes, like you, I love his live vocals.
What to say. For the first time in my life,my inner restlessness, melancholy, anxiety, have found an end. I've never thought that I would ever know what means total happiness, bliss, peace, calmness...yes, those things I've found them in nature, in trees, in bird's spectacular movements on the sky, in the night sky, the moon, in a good book. But to be moved like this by a voice...
Let aside the techniques.
Michael sang his heart out. It was his way of communicating with the world.
Lol, I must make a brain scan bc every time I think to this subject I write entire thesis in my mind and now I'm useless to express them.
Whenever someone put his entire passion and heart and soul in whatever is doing, this is the result- the creation is alive and genuine. I love passionate people, dedicated people. That struck me in Michael. And attracted me fully in ,,his world,,.
Last year I left my old life behind, and I chose to be far away from my home and my country. I was literally alone. But not. In every early morning I was sipping my coffee+ cigarettes under my favorite tree ( I'm a tree hugger since childhood) before going to work. I had a Playlist for this moment, one for the road to work, one for when I was returning and others for before falling asleep. Every time listening to him erased and blocked any malice and toxicity ppl left in me. And every time when I was staying under my tree, in the morning and later in the evenings, listening/ watching him, something was happening. Dancing leafs all of the sudden, birds that came so close, squirrels; the winds breeze that were like caresses or whispers and so many moments that will be deep in my heart.
Michael's voice brought Me back, it's the sanctuary of Love ( that love that I used to ridicule once but I needed it so much) and safety and comfort. And laughter.
Yesterday night I watched some bits from his early tours, Destiny, Triumph, Victory and as the cherry on top I chose a remarkable video abt Bad tour on GMJHD- I think- channel on YT. And before closing my eyes to drift into sleep, one thought popped up- if there will be more concerts available in decent quality, more people will fall in love with him instantly. A cultivated unique talent - yes, but he was SO alive when performing or recording. He sang his heart out to the whole planet.
Electric storm Michael. This is 15% from what I actually feel and think abt this subject.
Let's enjoy this

Back