What is it about Michael’s VOICE?!

I think Prince’s and Michael’s techniques made their voices very different. Just in reality they had the same voice-type, while in the media, they pretended they had different voice-types in helium.
You may “think” and believe differently all you want, @Sophia2023. But, you keep ignoring the fact that each of their natural voice-types were a complete, total 180-degrees from and opposite of one another; Not even the tiniest, most microscopically infinitesimal fraction of ANY similarity to each other at all, by any stretch of the imagination. Their voices, as adults, couldn’t have been any further apart. Total, complete opposites, like night from day, and vice-versa.

One voice (Prince’s) was a deep, lower-pitched, obviously “masculine,” somewhat “older”-sounding and slightly heavier-timbred Baritone/possible Bass-Baritone, that frequently and often depended upon the use of a rather high “Falsetto” extension —— maybe even having used “Whistle”-Pitch Register, from time to time —— to hit and sing high notes, while the other voice (Michael’s) was that of a former child Soprano-turned-extremely High Tenor/possible “Countertenor”* (*as some people have claimed his voice was much more like, since it sounded so “young” for his age, so light-timbred and “androgynous,” which I believe may possibly be true as well) who only had occasionally sung in “Falsetto” every once in a blue moon but didn’t have to rely and depend upon it, necessarily, in order to have hit and sung his highest notes. He could very easily have done that with either his Chest Voice or Head Voice, if that was what he wanted to do, which he mainly  did.

Can you please explain what you mean by your phrase “in helium”? I don’t get that. Earth’s atmosphere of gravity is heavier, so, air is heavier than helium, a gas that is lighter than air. The strange temporary effect of one’s breathing in helium —— as we might have seen people do on T.V., when they breathe it in from a balloon that had been filled with it, for example —— is that helium does something to the vocal cords that “lightens” the voice itself, making the timbre and pitch sound very similar to the voice on a recording that’s being sped up, but without the rapid speed (that is, IF you get what I mean). Can you answer this question, honestly? What you say might be very interesting to this discussion.

I already solved this burning question in the title a couple of months ago. The thread should have been closed after that.
I really don’t think so, @filmandmusic. Why is this idea even on your mind, of having to close and shut down such an interesting thread, a thread which discusses and very deeply delves into one of THE MOST interesting topics ever?
No, we have to revisit this question, endlessly!!!
Agreed, @zinniabooklover. Absolutely.

Michael was really a Tenore Lirico, not really a light tenor; but he overbrightened his voice with helium.

For those who missed the beginning of the thread, it's not about the technicality of his voice, but the magic of his voice and the impact it has on people 😂😂. All these technical details are taking the magic away 😆
Good point. I didn't even think to mention that. Plus, I was joshing with f&m. Just a little bit, lol.

But, yes, so far we've all been discussing the emotional impact of his speaking and / or singing voice. I find all the technical stuff fairly interesting - up to a point - although I don't understand all of it. I'm no musician. But this space was far more about wrestling with how magical his voice is, how it makes you feel, where your imagination goes, the excitement!

Listening to him talking about Stevie Wonder, hearing the excitement in his voice, it's magical.

"Your [voice] is magical
That's how I feel
But there are worlds and worlds of ways to explain
To tell you ...

I love you"
(Michael's lyrics slightly adapted)

I'm going for the TII version :)

Michael's voice is absolutely magical and soothing too. I have been listening to a list of songs to help me fall asleep. Of course you hear people say music has magical powers, I never believed it till now.

I would later move my discussion to thread about voice techniques.
I find your comments interesting although I don't understand all of it since I'm not a singer or a musician. I did watch a few YT videos on passagio (sp? - I've got that wrong, haven't I?) after you mentioned it and that was really interesting.

I think too much of a technical discussion on this thread perhaps feels slightly out of sync with the way the conversation has developed so far. I don't mind if threads weave around a little bit, that's normal conversation, isn't it? But maybe it was just a little bit too far removed from the general gist.

Off topic - as a result of one of your comments I also found a video on contralto voices and had an interesting time thinking about my own voice. In fact, one of the passagio (?) vids I watched, I did some of the vocal exercises and that was fascinating.

Back on topic - Michael's voice speaks to me in so many ways, emotional, intellectual ...

There's so much storytelling going on in his voice even apart from the lyrical content of a song.

Definitely magic!

I would later move my discussion to thread about voice techniques.
Though it's totally fine to continue the discussion here, I don't mind, I was just noting that it's also about the magic, it's one of those goodie goodie threads ;) 😂.
Though if you start a new thread more specifically about the technical aspects, you will get more response.

Though it's totally fine to continue the discussion here, I don't mind, I was just noting that it's also about the magic, it's one of those goodie goodie threads ;) 😂.
Though if you start a new thread more specifically about the technical aspects, you will get more response.
Totally agree with this. :)

Mostly staying away from the discussion around Rolling Stone and their notorious list. But the hoo-ha reminded me of this quote. Couldn't think where to place it so posting it here.

Sam Cooke said:

" ... voices ought not to be measured by how pretty they are. Instead they matter only if they convince you
that they are telling the truth ..."

He said this in response to someone praising him for having a beautiful voice. It's given me a lot to think about.

Last edited:
Mostly staying away from the discussion around Rolling Stone and their notorious list. But the hoo-ha reminded me of this quote. Couldn't think where to place it so posting it here.

Sam Cooke said:

" ... voices ought not to be measured by how pretty they are. Instead they matter only if they convince you

He said this in response to someone praising him for having a beautiful voice. It's given me a lot to think about.
Those are thoughtful words indeed!

I love all of the conversations that happen in this thread! Just to clarify, I do think in my initial post I said something about how I want to understand the magic of his voice, but also if anyone can explain it in technical terms that would be great too. Really, so long as we are honoring his voice, I think anything flies :)

On that note, I get so frustrated because as much as I am a free-spirited, emotional monster, I also want to know the science behind my feelings, and really do want to be hooked up to a machine and studied for how my brain and body reacts to Michael's voice. It frustrates me to no end that I can't truly understand why I want to freak out when I hear him. Just a few days ago I was listening to Michael while cleaning and Speechless came on and my entire body started shivering immediately and I sobbed for the length of the song, just standing there at my sink lol. It was a joyful kind of sob though, not anything terrible. I felt like my chest was physically opening and letting in light. Sometimes Michael's voice reaches right into the center of my being and lifts me up into heaven. It's so hard to explain any rational way. I get a very similar feeling when I listen to The Toy, which probably sounds like a random song to do that, but I can't explain why except that it makes me fall so in love with him. It's wild and beautiful and unlike anything else.

Sam Cooke said:

I love this quote so much because THIS is what I think actually makes Michael's voice so incredible. He has the most stunningly beautiful voice in the world, but beyond that it is so incredibly sincere.

There are so many singers in the world whose voices are technically staggering, but do absolutely nothing for me at all. I won't name them because I don't want to start anything, but a few of them are in the top 10 of that RS list and MANY of them are in the top 50. I can recognize technical talent, but in my mind when I feel nothing from their singing I just sort of shelve them in the "soulless" category and then forget they exist lol.

When that live section for earth song starts at the world music awards 1996 even the celebrities aren’t sure what is happening with them. The first blonde woman has a weird expression not sure if it is positive or negative. Then Shania Twain is completely into it and joins the clapping. We then have Seal gazing at it with half open mouth. Some even seem to forget breathing
The other people there, the real fans who were already lost long before MJ came on stage are on the verge of breaking down.
They all had one thing in common and that is that Michael had their full attention, eyes fixed on him, most likely awe struck. They witnessed something that crossed their minds for days to come, there is no doubt about that.

It is unlikely Mariah Carey‘s singing can produce the same reaction from a crowd of celebrities and even her own fans. Judged by this video his voice is not of this world. To date it is the only voice that is able to make me teary eyed. Will you be there had me as a ten year old sobbing in the sofa when I first heard it on the radio. I didn’t even understand the lyrics I just felt it. I had no idea what was happening and I was so glad nobody witnessed it because boys don’t cry 😁

I know nobody really likes it but I would love a crowd camera during the entire performance. I love seeing people’s reactions to MJ. How could that not be interesting to watch? When he opens his mouth people scream, when he moves a hand people scream, people even scream when his name is announced and he isn ‘t on stage yet. Raw emotions are so beautiful to watch, there is no script.

I will never forget the anticipation of the crowd before he enters the stage (HIStory tour). When he steps out of that rocket I had to hold my hands over my ears, I get goosebumps reminiscing it. If I had the chance to experience it again I would be front row to feel the energy of the people.

I know nobody really likes it but I would love a crowd camera during the entire performance.
Jam gives me what I want. 2 different versions. Bremen is loads of focus just on Michael. You can really see his dancing, the choreography, his outfit. Perfect! London (1992) has a lovely split between Michael and shots of the band - which I LOVE!! - and also the crowd which I also need to see. The audience is having such a good time. It's amazing to watch bc although peeps are really squashed in down the front, they are managing to dance a bit. They are really grooving! The editing is really well done on London, fabulous split between the 3 things I want to see.

I think I need all the film footage in duplicate. Or maybe in triplicate. Focus on Michael, split focus - Michael and the band, split focus - Michael and the crowd. :)

I love seeing people’s reactions to MJ. How could that not be interesting to watch?
It's fabulous.

When he opens his mouth people scream, when he moves a hand people scream, people even scream when his name is announced and he isn ‘t on stage yet. Raw emotions are so beautiful to watch, there is no script.
I'm not mad keen on the screaming, tbh. But the general 'having a great time' reactions of the crowd, those I love. Lots of joy on their faces. Wonderful.

Just kidding.

It's that practice since early childhood. It's like be was made solely for singing, and did. But his emotional range always came through. In everything he sang it just felt powerful.

You can follow the evolution of the smoothness of his falsetto and his general groove, and also trace the James Brown grit that started, probably around the time of The Jackson's Days but was just continually refined. You can hear flashes of 24 year old MJ when he's 40, you can hear flashes forward now from Jackson's Days, to his much vaunted adult abilities. As an all encompassing artist, the man was simply full realized in many ways.

the fact that michael’s distinctive vocal style is so widely imitated (from the late seventies/early eighties in particular) is reason enough for him to have been placed higher on the ‘rolling stone’ list. this is based on their own criteria; he’s influenced the likes of the weeknd, Justin timberlake, Ralph tresvant, and ne-yo to name just a few.

This question still crosses my mind on a nearly daily basis. I don't understand his voice at all. I don't understand why I'm so obsessed and addicted to it. I don't understand how, or why, I get chills every time I listen to him, or how easily he makes me cry, or makes me feel like my soul is leaving my body. In the past 2 weeks I have cried on the drive to work just from the sound of his voice on songs like She's Out of My Life, Human Nature, Smile, and just yesterday Push Me Away. His voice has a quality I don't think I will ever be able to grasp.

That said...

Today I stumbled upon this very in depth vocal analysis of Thriller and I am stunned by it. Forewarning, if a lot of stopping and starting will annoy you, this video will drive you insane. When I say she is analyzing every sound our man makes, I mean almost EVERY SOUND.

But, she appears extremely knowledgable and is explaining some of the technique between Michael's voice that I just find incredible to learn about. Admittedly, I don't always know what she is talking about. Also, every time she starts playing the video I am instantly distract by Michael's, umm....physicality? Still, she is breaking it down so thoroughly it's actually kind of remarkable. So I thought I would share!

This question still crosses my mind on a nearly daily basis. I don't understand his voice at all. I don't understand why I'm so obsessed and addicted to it. I don't understand how, or why, I get chills every time I listen to him, or how easily he makes me cry, or makes me feel like my soul is leaving my body. In the past 2 weeks I have cried on the drive to work just from the sound of his voice on songs like She's Out of My Life, Human Nature, Smile, and just yesterday Push Me Away. His voice has a quality I don't think I will ever be able to grasp.

That said...

Today I stumbled upon this very in depth vocal analysis of Thriller and I am stunned by it. Forewarning, if a lot of stopping and starting will annoy you, this video will drive you insane. When I say she is analyzing every sound our man makes, I mean almost EVERY SOUND.

But, she appears extremely knowledgable and is explaining some of the technique between Michael's voice that I just find incredible to learn about. Admittedly, I don't always know what she is talking about. Also, every time she starts playing the video I am instantly distract by Michael's, umm....physicality? Still, she is breaking it down so thoroughly it's actually kind of remarkable. So I thought I would share!

Wow, very fun watch. Thanks for that. Very cool.

It's the way off the wall was every flavor of smooth in the book. At 21 he basically went through every kind of voice progression where most artists spend their entire career focusing on 1 kind.

By Thriller he was just doing it for fun. How he tried every genre, and his voice worked for every one.

Then with Bad he added texture and made it a homage to James Brown and anyone else he wanted. For Dangerous he turned his music into stories and his voice was the narrator every time. For HIStory it became a manifesto.

Most people say he lost his touch or became a parody, and that's nonsense. He always wielded his voice as a tool and as a powerful weapon, as an iconic living piece of history, and as something he could deconstruct and transform as swiftly as his genres and dance moves into something totally of its own class.

Most people say he lost his touch or became a parody, and that’s nonsense. He always wielded his voice as a tool and as a powerful weapon, as an iconic living piece of history, and as something he could deconstruct and transform as swiftly as his genres and dance moves into something totally of its own class.
I agree with you, @Mister_Jay_Tee. Michael’s voice was quite unique —— in and of itself —— in many, many ways. What great points you make about it, here. A lot of people tend to get into a bad habit of highly praising, and favorably commenting on, his early childhood and younger-teen (“pre- and early-puberty” period, if you will) voice/vocal skills while at the same time ignoring, looking down on, dismissing and forgetting about ANYTHING he had ever sung and recorded after he went through puberty (all of the physical signs, symptoms and aspects of it, including the not anywhere nearly as drastic voice-change* [*which was actually a whole lot less of a voice-change than some fans would like to imagine], the growth-spurt in his height, the maturation of his facial features from child to adult, etc.) and grew up out of his “ ‘cute’ little boy/young teenager” stage of life.

Not only do some amongst the media and the public behave and have the attitude described in the previous paragraph, but over-zealous “pro-‘Motown’ through ‘Destiny’/‘Off the Wall’/‘Triumph’ ” [including the Jackson brothers’ 1981 “LIVE” album] and “anti-‘Thriller’ and everything else afterwards” fanatics (one of whom has his own channel on “YouTube”® regarding his knowledge of singing and music in general, though I very strongly disagree with his views on Michael’s “post-‘Destiny’/‘Off the Wall’/‘Triumph’ ”-era vocals from 1982-2009) negatively judge EVERYTHING about him (the whole entire rest of his life, from 1982 on up until he passed) in one breath, yet call themselves backhandedly “complimenting” him after he passed, in some way or another.

IF one really and truly enjoys listening to Michael’s voice, then one should objectively appreciate it in EVERY and ALL phases and stages of his life and career, not just in a highly personal, anecdotal and subjective way during whichever one or two of his eras some heavily-biased, over-zealously fanatical listeners/so-called “fans” prefer or “feel” is most favorable to them and their personal tastes.

This is only being fair to, and completely honest about, both his voice AND other aspects of his career in the approximately 28 years of his life after his and his brothers’ “LIVE” album was released. Do you understand what I mean?

Last edited:
Back