What is your favorite dance breakdown in an MJ video/short film.

Remember The Time
It's the one that stuck out the most to me because it also added a new little bit of fresh extra music to the song.

I must say, I don't think it's a breakdown, but I really love the panther sequence of "Black or White". It's art, there are ridiculous awesome moves and the message is great. All of this without ?!

IMWhizzle;4171625 said:
I must say, I don't think it's a breakdown, but I really love the panther sequence of "Black or White". It's art, there are ridiculous awesome moves and the message is great. All of this without !

Agree. It reminds me of this great article about MJ's dancing, written by a professional flamenco dancer.

Speaking of the dark side, I will now turn to analogous motives and subjects in Michael’s art. I saw Black or White for the first time in its full version in the early 1990s, when the video had just been released. I wasn’t really interested in Michael Jackson at that time. I was very young and far from mass culture. My idols were representatives of “high” dance genres: great performers of ballet, flamenco, and other classic traditions.

However, the second half of Black or White, commonly called the panther dance, shocked me. I still believe it is one of Michael’s best dances – a pure torrent of aggressive passion, even if played for the camera on purpose. It is the kind of improvised dance that goes back to dance’s original source. It is an absolutely unique case in contemporary pop culture of true, passionate, and spiritual dance; it cannot be seen anywhere else in this sphere. In most instances all we see is gymnastics or vulgar hip swaying, while the elegant tap of dancers like Fred Astaire has become a thing of the past. Real, pure ecstasy is virtually absent from the pop stage.

After seeing the video I wanted to say, “Bravo, Michael!” even though I wasn’t a fan of his at the time. In just a few minutes this man, the only person in the pop sphere who possessed this primordial sincerity, did something vitally important that had not been done by any stage performer with international fame. He placed ecstatic improvisation in the spotlight, featuring it in the video that apparently had no relation to it and was built on positive themes such as boyish jokes and uniting nations. The contrast was striking and even wild, incomprehensible for the common viewer, causing wide controversy and even hostility. Perhaps such a contrast and the contradictory design of the short film were created by Michael intuitively. Perhaps he hoped that his stream of consciousness would once again shock the public.

http://en.michaeljackson.ru/michael-jackson-the-dancer-of-the-dream/

2Bad from Ghosts is an absolute master piece as a choreographed dance. Then Smooth Criminal and Beat It.

I love every breakdown and it's almost impossible for me to choose.But i remember as a kid, I tried to dance to Beat it,Thriller,Bad,Black or White and Smooth criminal and I absolutely loved these routines :)
But when I became a Fan last year, I discovered Remember the Time, Captain Eo,2 Bad,You Rock my World... really,there are just too many great routines :D

Remember The Time
It's the one that stuck out the most to me because it also added a new little bit of fresh extra music to the song.

This is one thing I LOVED about Michael's music videos, he often extended or altered a portion of the song and you could only hear that portion in the music video. Think Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Bad (different bridge so close enough), In The Closet, YRMW, TDCAU (Brazil version), BOTDF etc. Gave a bit more incentive to watch them :D

IMWhizzle;4171625 said:
I must say, I don't think it's a breakdown, but I really love the panther sequence of "Black or White". It's art, there are ridiculous awesome moves and the message is great. All of this without ��!

CaptainEoLove85;4171736 said:
The Panther Dance. I could never get enough of it.

Agree. It reminds me of this great article about MJ's dancing, written by a professional flamenco dancer.

Speaking of the dark side, I will now turn to analogous motives and subjects in Michael’s art. I saw Black or White for the first time in its full version in the early 1990s, when the video had just been released. I wasn’t really interested in Michael Jackson at that time. I was very young and far from mass culture. My idols were representatives of “high” dance genres: great performers of ballet, flamenco, and other classic traditions.

However, the second half of Black or White, commonly called the panther dance, shocked me. I still believe it is one of Michael’s best dances – a pure torrent of aggressive passion, even if played for the camera on purpose. It is the kind of improvised dance that goes back to dance’s original source. It is an absolutely unique case in contemporary pop culture of true, passionate, and spiritual dance; it cannot be seen anywhere else in this sphere. In most instances all we see is gymnastics or vulgar hip swaying, while the elegant tap of dancers like Fred Astaire has become a thing of the past. Real, pure ecstasy is virtually absent from the pop stage.

After seeing the video I wanted to say, “Bravo, Michael!” even though I wasn’t a fan of his at the time. In just a few minutes this man, the only person in the pop sphere who possessed this primordial sincerity, did something vitally important that had not been done by any stage performer with international fame. He placed ecstatic improvisation in the spotlight, featuring it in the video that apparently had no relation to it and was built on positive themes such as boyish jokes and uniting nations. The contrast was striking and even wild, incomprehensible for the common viewer, causing wide controversy and even hostility. Perhaps such a contrast and the contradictory design of the short film were created by Michael intuitively. Perhaps he hoped that his stream of consciousness would once again shock the public.
Great article Respect! :yes:
Panther Dance may not be a dance breakdown in a traditional way, but it is a dance breakdown and an amazing one at that.
When it comes down to people that are all around entertainers Michael is hands down the best dancer.

It's hard to choose but honorable mentions for me are You Rock My World, 2Bad, Smooth Criminal & Bad.

Probably ALL of 'em. :D

Thriller is awesome. And I gotta mention Rock With You, Bad, Jam, Remember The Time, Come Together, BOTDF, and YRMW.

Dang! :unsure: Thats quite a few, huh?

Oh well. :D

Back