What is Your Race/Ethnicity?

What is Your Race/Ethnicity?

• Total voters
Re: Which ethnicity are you?

Uh ok, most people I know prefer the more modern term black american, as do I, just like we call people white americans. I don't come from Africa. But maybe you do. As for me, I'm American, and I happen to be black. Please keep the holier-than-thou attitude out of my face if that's what you're trying to accomplish with your little Michael quote at the end. My intentions with this thread are pretty clear by now.

And by the way, since you're so big on quotes, here's another one for ya:

"I'M A BLACK AMERICAN"

-Michael Jackson

How's that for a quote?

i love your quote too..:) This is the good thing we can all be who we want to be. we can identify ourselves the way we are most comfortable. I am white...american, french/irish/english...I know what a mix huh...lol

I actually dislike the term African American as well and it's annoying how almost any black person is labeled as a African America. For instance, i've heard black people from England and the West Indies labeled as African American and that's totally incorrect! How can they be African American when they weren't even born here in America?! It's foolish.

Another thing, that African American term seperates us from everyone else. I don't see others being referred to as "European American's" instead of White American's. Why can't we all be called Black American's? I know some people are just trying to be politically correct, but truthfullly I have no direct ties to Africa as my entire family is from the Caribbean. However I am proud of my African roots and heritage as a black person, but why can't I just be labeled American? Why African American?

No no, I prefer to just be called Black or Black American.

Absolutely. If you look at any part of our heritage or identity as a people, i.e. music, it's black music, it's not fucking African music!! I'm American first, an American who happens to be black. I've thought about what you said too, we are always kind of alienated by calling us Africans first, then Americans second. Fuck being politically correct. Everyone I know who's black talk about being black, not "African American". I'm starting to wonder about the truthfulness of the person who claimed he was "african american, not black" cause it sounds like something a politically correct white person would say. But what do I know. I don't want to offend anyone with this thread, so I'll leave it at that. I just know after all the shit my people have been through, and especially here in the South (Georgia), I know the importance of being proud to be a black person.

^ I'm not black, in fact I'm at face value a white Australian (but have Italian grandparents on one side and English on another), but I really agree with your posts and the person whose post you quoted about the term "African American". I never thought about it before, but it is divisive and how does anybody actually know at face value what someone's lineage is? It's such a double standard when, as Cinnamon234 said, nobody calls white American's "Eurpean American". However, I think if someone decides to call *themself* African American then it's their call because they would know - but when people assume for someone else, then it's wrong. Thanks for enlightening me about this :)

In fact on TV the day after the memorial (I think), a presenter questioned why his race was stated as "black" on the death certificate ( :( ), she thought the more appropriate term was "African American" and no one was really sure what to say.

So yeah, I thank you both for showing me some insight.

well my background is italian
But was born and lives in australia

I was raised by black folks but I'm mexican.

I perfer the term blacxican hehe. :)

Uh ok, most people I know prefer the more modern term black american, as do I, just like we call people white americans. I don't come from Africa. But maybe you do. As for me, I'm American, and I happen to be black. Please keep the holier-than-thou attitude out of my face if that's what you're trying to accomplish with your little Michael quote at the end. My intentions with this thread are pretty clear by now.

"I'M A BLACK AMERICAN"

-Michael Jackson

How's that for a quote?

1. no you don't but your acestors do. therefore you have african ancestry and at the same you're an american citizen. that=african american.

2. since you want be technical about it then i guess my mom being light brown isn't "black" yet my indian friend who has dark skin is. now that makes sense.

3. why so serious?

4. the king can say what he wants.

1. You saw The Dark Knight, good for you.

2. Yes I may have African ancestry way back but I can't trace my roots. I'm fine with that, as far as I'm concerned I'm an American. A black American. I got nothing to do with Africa.

3. I can say what I want too.

Ok that actually made me smile. Thank you. I needed that. :)

I'm Asian from hong Kong, but people always say I look like Korean. HAAA~~~

I actually dislike the term African American as well and it's annoying how almost any black person is labeled as a African America. For instance, i've heard black people from England and the West Indies labeled as African American and that's totally incorrect! How can they be African American when they weren't even born here in America?! It's foolish.

Another thing, that African American term seperates us from everyone else. I don't see others being referred to as "European American's" instead of White American's. Why can't we all be called Black American's? I know some people are just trying to be politically correct, but truthfullly I have no direct ties to Africa as my entire family is from the Caribbean. However I am proud of my African roots and heritage as a black person, but why can't I just be labeled American? Why African American?

No no, I prefer to just be called Black or Black American.

"I'M A BLACK AMERICAN"

-Michael Jackson

How's that for a quote?

I agree, I just refer to myself as Black or Black American. The past few generations of my family are American. I have no direct roots to Africa and I have white ancestry as well.

Plus, didn't the world's population descend from Africa anyway? Why do we have to be called African Americans because we're brown or look like Africa's current inhabitants?

Well, I guess I'll just say everyone should refer to themselves however they see fit. :)

Back