Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fan met Branca & asked him if there is anything exciting happening with The Estate.

His reply?

“Biopic coming soon!”

I wish this was a joke.

Branca has probably already forgotten that Thriller 40 is a thing due to the lack of marketing.

Also the idea of them doing a biopic legit fills me with dread at this point lol.

It's more the point that to not hear or have some or most of these leaked or unreleased hardly heard songs/demos I feel shows so much respect for Michael and also not wanting to spoil what is left of Michael's last work.
I think it's more a case if you can say you met him when he was healthy and alive that would be a big fan. Not someone who streams his last pieces of work.

I think a biopic with the right people the right story etc and if course Michael's soundtrack will elevate him unto orbit once again and promote any music released going forward. Don't under estimate how much this Thriller 40 album will be for the estate but I think the biopic will be there reply to LN!

I think a biopic with the right people the right story etc and if course Michael's soundtrack will elevate him unto orbit once again and promote any music released going forward. Don't under estimate how much this Thriller 40 album will be for the estate but I think the biopic will be there reply to LN!
It would be better for the Estate to focus on his music, rather than on his life.

Considering that a potential biopic is going to touch upon also on the themes of the child sexual abuse accusations against him, it would also act as a reminder (to the world) of those accusations.

Also, a potential biopic about Michael Jackson (even with the right people and with the right story) would always look incomplete and with missing parts, given the singer's enigmatic image and persona.

“Biopic coming soon“. you have to read it as biopic c’mon around 2024 if we’re lucky. They don’t even have a cast announced. They’re probably still looking for a guy to write a script

The biopic is a disaster in the making. There’s quite literally no way to do one without pissing off a significant percentage of people. Frame MJ as a reclusive pedophile, the fans riot (and rightfully so). Frame him as a misunderstood victim of the industry, critics will complain that they’re trying to make us empathize with him. Address the allegations and portray them as false, critics whine that they’re victim blaming. Ignore the allegations entirely, reviews en masse will criticize the decision (similar to what happened with the Broadway show).

It’s a waste of time and resources. Even if by the grace of God it turns out to be a good movie, it will still be victim to an unnecessary and depressive media blitz.

Just cancel it and (privately) fund a multi-part documentary exploring the allegations with legal experts and witnesses. THAT’S what MJ needs.

The biopic is a disaster in the making. There’s quite literally no way to do one without pissing off a significant percentage of people. Frame MJ as a reclusive pedophile, the fans riot (and rightfully so). Frame him as a misunderstood victim of the industry, critics will complain that they’re trying to make us empathize with him. Address the allegations and portray them as false, critics whine that they’re victim blaming. Ignore the allegations entirely, reviews en masse will criticize the decision (similar to what happened with the Broadway show).

It’s a waste of time and resources. Even if by the grace of God it turns out to be a good movie, it will still be victim to an unnecessary and depressive media blitz.

Just cancel it and (privately) fund a multi-part documentary exploring the allegations with legal experts and witnesses. THAT’S what MJ needs.
I predict that the movie will focus on his J5 days to his Bad era days, focusing solely on the prime of his career and ignoring completely the allegations and anything that happened after 1990 while also adding parts that never happened just for movie drama. Seeing how the Estate is involved in this project I doubt that they won't play it safe with the biopic. At this point I'm more excited for Taj's documentary than for this movie lol.

I predict that the movie will focus on his J5 days to his Bad era days, focusing solely on the prime of his career and ignoring completely the allegations and anything that happened after 1990 while also adding parts that never happened just for movie drama. Seeing how the Estate is involved in this project I doubt that they won't play it safe with the biopic. At this point I'm more excited for Taj's documentary than for this movie lol.
If the Estate would play it safe with the biopic (by focusing solely on the prime of his career and ignoring completely the allegations and anything that happened after 1990), then it would be a commercial failure for them.

The Estate (as a business company) seeks also commercial success, so they would unavoidably include also important and controversial things that happened after 1990, especially the accusations.

Controversy brings commercial success.

I think I touched on this before but I'd produce 2 films if I was the guy making the calls. One regular biopic (ending around 1993 adding Chandler's father as a character to make sure casual people will understand what went on with that case, there is enough evidence to make people rethink their opinion) and one courtroom drama centering around the 2005 case. Many people still don't really understand how MJ got acquitted. Any critic can look up the facts and try to destroy the movie's narrative without looking delusional. This would imo put up a middle finger. It is the Estate saying "we don't deny or bury the controversies but these are the facts right here for everyone to see" making everything that happened post 2005 redundant.

Actually I would add a 3rd film a comedy about MJ attending an Exeter football game. He would be more of a background figure here, only catching glimpses of him while hysteria and chaos surrounding the entire event ensues - my focus would be on a bunch of dumb characters and their shenanigans trying to get close to Michel but never really get far. The whole idea of Michael attending a low level football match is just screams for comedic situations imo.

Besides that LN was a disaster, a biopic is a way to set things straight

If the Estate would play it safe with the biopic (by focusing solely on the prime of his career and ignoring completely the allegations and anything that happened after 1990), then it would be a commercial failure for them.

The Estate (as a business company) seeks also commercial success, so they would unavoidably include also important and controversial things that happened after 1990, especially the accusations.

Controversy brings commercial success.
Of the many posts you’ve made, this has to be among the most insane. “The estate likes to make money, so they’ll absolutely make a movie about the allegations.”

????????

My opinion would have been better to focus on releases like history25 and dangerous30 than a biopic
Imagine the drama here though when every week an already leaked track is revealed. Serious effect, she got it, if you don't love me, monkey business, for all time and some "rarities" like someone put your hand out, mind is the magic and the dangerous alternate version

Imagine the drama here though when every week an already leaked track is revealed. Serious effect, she got it, if you don't love me, monkey business, for all time and some "rarities" like someone put your hand out, mind is the magic and the dangerous alternate version
True. I suppose it sorta hearkens back to where we are now with Thriller40. The diehards have already heard a good portion of what will appear. It'd be a safe assumption other projects would fall along those lines, as well.

I’m just not even remotely interested in all of this non MJ bull they keep doing.

Sure the musical is great, I bet One is too. I also enjoyed the hell out of Immortal.

But I’m a fan of the man himself. How he carried himself. His thoughts. His songs, his videos, his performances. I don’t care about people who didn’t know him trying to tell his story.. he gave us HIStory already.

I don't think leaked tracks being included is an issue for most of us here at all, like one person here complains about it but that's it.

I’m just not even remotely interested in all of this non MJ bull they keep doing.

Sure the musical is great, I bet One is too. I also enjoyed the hell out of Immortal.

But I’m a fan of the man himself. How he carried himself. His thoughts. His songs, his videos, his performances. I don’t care about people who didn’t know him trying to tell his story.. he gave us HIStory already.

Yeah, I think you basically just wrote how I feel about the estate in general tbh. A lot of the stuff they do just seems so distant from MJ, even though it's him they're supposed to be representing and his stuff they are using. (Don't know if that makes sense but it's how I feel, lol).

Last edited:

It's stuff to attract the general consumers, to captivate the new younger audience, and also just to branch out with deals that generate revenue. It's not the follow up to Invincible, This is It, or anything like that. They were doing that for a while to be fair, there was nothing but music from 2009-2014. Once the new set of allegations came out they've forced MJ To retreat. It's just been a dry season. It's fair that they're trying something at all now.

The biopic will be more product, which will follow the example of all of the recent ones on Queen and Elton John and Elvis. It’ll be for casuals and normies. Nothing of value for us fans, aside from endless nitpicking about everything they got wrong or made up for drama.

I love that they’re offering fans interesting opportunities to experience MJ’s work in a new light, and I think the musical is an absolute masterclass in creativity, but I completely agree that they put too much effort into casual listeners. At least split the resources—one project for them, one for us.

Regarding key demographic, while we are an important portion of the fan community that advocates and fights for Michaels legacy. We are not (from a business perspective) the largest part of the portfolio. A high majority of people that listen and spend money on MJ material is the average listener that appreciates his work and leaves it at that.
With Michael not here to create new art, art will continue to be created around the work he did. Our interest is clearly not on a reimagining of his work, but it's the nature of the business. The good we get out of it is seeing his work have a presence in present time...

I know most of our hearts are on hearing and seeing unreleased material with appreciation to Michaels magic; it will continue to be a slow process for the simple fact the Estate has a large interest in making sure there is material to release years to come..

None of us want to wait, but this is where were at.

Tomorrow will be a good one. 😉

edit:
9 hours left... back to topic

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more.

A big problem I have with a biopic is it's more likely to go wrong, than it is to go well.
I think it'll anger most die hard fans and I think there is still plenty left for them to do before you go down the biopic route

Reactions: ssj
What's everyone's guess?

I'm aiming optimistically for Mystery (it'll probably be Slapstick now I've said that)

Given that there aren’t that many demos from the Thriller era that we haven’t yet heard, I find it doubtful that we would get something completely new.

I suppose there is a possibility of them releasing the “Learned My Lesson” demo, the original version of Much Too Soon. In fact, that is the most probable case, in my opinion, since they seem to want to release earlier versions of already released songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back