What's next?

Imagine if all those boycotters would actually buy the album, it could have sold more than Coldplay for example. It honestly makes me sad, I said it already but only us can keep Michaels music alive and they are doing the opposite.
If this is a project for next 3 years at least then stopping the promotion after 2nd single is pretty silly I would say. Sales are steady which is more than awesome for an artist who is not here anymore.
Im also a bit dissapinted than APWNN wasnt picked up by radios. It needs radio support otherwise people wont even know about it. I dont know what we deserve really, but I know Michael deserves more.
If they were smart, they would put a direct link to buy xscape on itunes in description of all Michael youtube videos.

We all do! And I bet Estate and Epic/Sony want it too. But obviously will.i.am and RedOne are asking more money than they are willing to offer. We should start a petition (with lets say 10.000 signatures) and send it to Will, RedOne and the representative of the Estate so they can see how bad we want to hear that material. And maybe then Estate and Epic/Sony decide to increase their bid or maybe Will & RedOne decide to lower their asking price.

Great idea! I think if many fans ask for them i'm pretty sure we will get at least one of the will.i.am songs ;) and i'm sure those songs would get much attention from the public and a chance to be played by radio stations :p

That was just a crazy rumour. I'm sure there will be 3rd single (Chicago or Xscape) released in November.

I am hoping its Chicago. But IMO, November would be too soon. I wonder whats happening with the contest of APWNN though. Anyone knows?

I am hoping its Chicago. But IMO, November would be too soon. I wonder whats happening with the contest of APWNN though. Anyone knows?

November is not too soon.

Love Never Felt So Good - released 1.5.2014
A Place With No Name - released 12.8.2014

That is 3 full months and 12 days. 3rd single will be out (in my opinion) mid or late November.

November is not too soon.

Love Never Felt So Good - released 1.5.2014
A Place With No Name - released 12.8.2014

That is 3 full months and 12 days. 3rd single will be out (in my opinion) mid or late November.

I don't care anymore... People aren't reacting to MJ songs like in the old times... Whatever the new release may be I don't care anymore. It feels like Michael is forgotten....:(

I don't care anymore... People aren't reacting to MJ songs like in the old times... Whatever the new release may be I don't care anymore. It feels like Michael is forgotten....:(
yea, nobody cares for him anymore... zero radio play here. apwnn is such a good song and everybody ignores that..

To those saying "people aren't reacting to MJ songs like old times.." "and nobody cares for him anymore."

you need to realize that sadly, Michael Jackson is not on this earth anymore.. A new MJ release will NEVER have the same impact it would if he were here. Michael Jackson will live on forever for the 40 years worth of work that he has left behind. The unreleased work is simply for fans and those who love MJ to enjoy. Anyone who thinks people are going to "forget about Michael Jackson" need to have a reality check, because it's simply not going to happen..

To those saying "people aren't reacting to MJ songs like old times.." "and nobody cares for him anymore."

you need to realize that sadly, Michael Jackson is not on this earth anymore.. A new MJ release will NEVER have the same impact it would if he were here. Michael Jackson will live on forever for the 40 years worth of work that he has left behind. The unreleased work is simply for fans and those who love MJ to enjoy. Anyone who thinks people are going to "forget about Michael Jackson" need to have a reality check, because it's simply not going to happen..

Bravo!

What artist over 40 do you guys hear on radio? This has nothing to do with people not caring for MJ. It has to do with radio discriminating older artists, period. If they don't collaborate with an younger artists (which is what Madonna and Mariah has been doing to get some airplay) they will never see any decent airplay. Sadly these are the facts. Hell some artists in their 30s have a hard time getting massive airplay (Beyonce, Christina Aguilera etc.).

Heavy airplay is a territory for the 20-somethings.

But the fact that MJ can still sell an album and compete with the hottest artists should show you people still love and care and are willing to buy his music.

just saw this...

Jay @Jay6385 · 20 h.

Hey MJFam, Tune in September 25th to the Late Show with David @Letterman for a performance from @Cirque du Soleil's "Michael Jackson ONE"

I still pray for some great promotion for A place with no name. Just love the song !!!!
Bu_t0XJIIAEm8kg.jpg

Graham Summers ‏@gsummers1972 19. Sep.
@BBCRadio2 playing loads of @michaeljackson love the new @QueenWillRock collaboration with MJ. Now playing #APlaceWithNoName great track

APWNN not doing well does not have to do with quality but more so it does not have that "in" sound that's hot right now.. It's a great song but not 100% hit friendly as sad as that is.. Today's market is very specified, a specific sound gets the air play and gets people requesting... A lot of great music gets overlooked because of it..

^^ I don't think so. If the marketing was a bit more creative (which is what it takes to promote something like this, when the artist is not around and the artist is often considered 'old school') - then this song would have gone far. But the video - IMO - is nothing to buzz about (for instance, they would need to make something HELLA COOL to get people talking - to make it go 'viral', and if some real thought was put into it, the could do it with the songs storyline), and even the APWNN 'surprise' promotion....with the Sony tablets? Not exactly something that will get people excited or looking in Xscape's direction.

Like I said, if they put their best foot forward - which they're not - then the song would have no problem hitting airwaves.

Honestly guys, don't look at the faults toward the label or towards people "forgetting Michael". It has nothing to do with either of them. The bottom line is that Michael is no longer here to promote his art and because of that interest will ALWAYS be lower. People have such a low attention span they hardly pay attention to the artists that are out there promoting themselves to death. Beyonce released a whole album with videos for each song and only got one radio hit from the album. Radio is going through a weird phase right now and no amount of creativity from Sony will help, and it definitely does not mean people have been forgetting or not caring about Michael anymore!!

I dunno I just feel like if they're going to play this posthumous game - they might as well go all in, you know? Sure I could chalk it up to it 'just being how it is' or just how the industry is today if I felt the people running the show did all they could to make it successful. I just don't feel that way when me, as a fan, am not all that excited about any of the stuff that has happened thus far promotion wise (save for the album itself and the billboard awards, which wasn't even capitalized on with a single release)...so how am I to expect everyone else to be excited about it and pushing the single?

If the industry is different, then they should figure out a way to make the industry work for them if they're going to do it. Thats why I suggested putting out a more interesting video for APWNN that would get more than just the diehard fans talking due to the unreleased footage. Give something thought provoking, creative, emotional...get people sharing it. Thats how to work today's industry and its possible to be successful that way.

Not saying the video isnt good for what it is, but its not all that...special you know? If something was done in the spirit of MJ that was unique and exciting, it would get attention, guaranteed. But even with the release of that video, not a lot of people even know that the video even exists. And with the "Want to be in a place with no name" surprise promotion - most reactions I've seen to that have been lack luster even with fans (as its a clear promotion for Sony products and not so much MJ).

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I totally see where you are coming from and what you are trying to say! Of course it would be way more exciting for them to do more creative things and get the fans more pumped up and also the general public, but it really is just so damn difficult to do anything really amazing without the artist being there. Especially when that artist is Michael, who could turn out such an epic and flawless video for the single that would slay the industry no doubt about it. I've been following the music industry since 2006 and I have to say it's been hard for these artists to be original and create creative videos and music, and they are actually alive to be able to do it. I really think it's just hard for interest to go up when the artist isn't there. I love MJ and this project so much but knowing that he isn't here to do anything for it will kill the excitement either way, for me at least. Does anyone have any kind of creative idea that they would like to share that would be amazing promotion?

I see what you're saying too. I guess I've been so disenchanted with most of today's artists' efforts...that I'm a bit biased haha. I think EVERYONE could do better lol And I don't think they're (other artists) putting all that much effort out there at all - or the least amount of effort sometimes gets the most rewards for some people lol. When it comes to pop music, you can see it in the award shows - just what is being put out there in comparison to years before. It's night and day.

But I still believe in what MJ believed - you can't ignore good art, good entertainment. If its good enough - no matter what time or industry you're working in, people have to pay attention.

As far as ideas, I know there was a thread started in this forum about people's thoughts about how they would have handled Xscape from a marketing standpoint.

Though one idea that has been floating around is doing an animated video - now THAT would have been interesting and different.

Another one I just came up with would to ask MJ fan celebrities to star in a video ...or videos (Steve Harvey, Chris Tucker, Lady Gaga, Usher etc etc)...Liberian Girl- esque. In today's age, that might have been just the thing to get people talking. In general, enlisting other amazing artists that perhaps MJ admired or those that admired MJ to be in the video - to generate buzz for Xscape and in exchange, generate buzz for them.

Not talking about a dance video like Justin Timberlake either... but a short film in the way MJ might have enjoyed. A feature length video with a storyline.

Last edited:
APWNN not doing well does not have to do with quality but more so it does not have that "in" sound that's hot right now.. It's a great song but not 100% hit friendly as sad as that is.. Today's market is very specified, a specific sound gets the air play and gets people requesting... A lot of great music gets overlooked because of it..

I disagree as the original mixes were contemporized specifically to match today's sound.

Promotion is the problem. While it was grand to see the Cirque ONE performance recently on television, there was NO mention of Xscape which was a lost opportunity. Such missteps continue to happen which effects Xscape's future sales.

The radio deal helped LNFSG succeed and LNFSG helped Xscape sell quite a number of copies long after the initial release. We now see how important such deals are in the success of a single and in turn a cd.

But I still believe in what MJ believed - you can't ignore good art, good entertainment. If its good enough - no matter what time or industry you're working in, people have to pay attention.

As far as ideas, I know there was a thread started in this forum about people's thoughts about how they would have handled Xscape from a marketing standpoint.

Though one idea that has been floating around is doing an animated video - now THAT would have been interesting and different.
I, too, thought they handled LNFSG really well-I don't have anything against the official video for APWNN and I was happy not to see another "tribute" video. But I loved the animated video that everybody was talking about for APWNN. People posted great pix and I could see it in my mind.
Ironically, though, I was reading Yahoo tonight and Pharrell just released the video for his new 4th single off his new album-and he's using all Japanese animation. Darn!!! Maybe his "spies" are reading our threads. LOL. But I'm not sure if it's helping his album or not-the only song I'm familiar with is still "Happy." Not sure about radio play-

^^ guess it depends if the 4th single is actually good or not lol I haven't heard it.

^^ guess it depends if the 4th single is actually good or not lol I haven't heard it.
Ha-that's true. Has to be a good song first and foremost-I don't know-because I only listened and watched about 90 seconds. So guess I didn't think it was good.

Ha-that's true. Has to be a good song first and foremost-I don't know-because I only listened and watched about 90 seconds. So guess I didn't think it was good.

Weird choice for the fourth single when he had much better songs there like "Hunter" and "Brand New".

Weird choice for the fourth single when he had much better songs there like "Hunter" and "Brand New".

Gush, Gust of Wind, Hunter, Brand New should have been released. Come Get It Bae and It Girl are among the worse. At least you can say the estate chose well.

The vocals don't really go with the instrumental IMO! the only thing i like are the opening ad libs.. which are taken from somewhere else i presume? Slave To The Rhythm or Xscape could do better i think, as long as it's promoted well.

I see what you're saying too. I guess I've been so disenchanted with most of today's artists' efforts...that I'm a bit biased haha. I think EVERYONE could do better lol And I don't think they're (other artists) putting all that much effort out there at all - or the least amount of effort sometimes gets the most rewards for some people lol. When it comes to pop music, you can see it in the award shows - just what is being put out there in comparison to years before. It's night and day.

Another one I just came up with would to ask MJ fan celebrities to star in a video ...or videos (Steve Harvey, Chris Tucker, Lady Gaga, Usher etc etc)...Liberian Girl- esque. In today's age, that might have been just the thing to get people talking. In general, enlisting other amazing artists that perhaps MJ admired or those that admired MJ to be in the video - to generate buzz for Xscape and in exchange, generate buzz for them.

Not talking about a dance video like Justin Timberlake either... but a short film in the way MJ might have enjoyed. A feature length video with a storyline.

Well I definitely love your ideas! Doing a short film would be really a great idea with all the current celebrities! And omg I totally agree with you, today the music industry is BORING. There is no creativity, no effort, no originality, no excitement! I've never seen the industry as boring as it is now then ever. 2014 has been the worst year in music in a long time. Honestly, XSCAPE and Mariah's Elusive Chanteuse albums were the only great albums I heard all year.

Back