Where did the Moonwalk/Michael's dance moves originate?

Re: Where did the Moonwalk really originate?

HEY! :lol:

Well, he IS cleaner. I think the Nicholas Brothers were obvioulsy very good dancers, to be honest, I think they were better when they were kids, lol. I know that sounds stupid, but they were more neat back then. They got to be more like acrobats to me then dancers later on.

Bob Fosse is a good mention, because out of every dancer, I think Fosse's style most influenced Michael. He dances style wise most like Fosse, who was a REALLY good dancer. I think in terms of body type and initial motion type, Michael is most like Astaire, but style wise, he's most like Fosse.
Ha Ha. What took you so long? We missed you.

When did they move our thread? Usually they leave an arrow to where they move it. Dorothy must have been moderating again. lol

Oh well. It started out being less a question about art than about who but as we got more and more into the styles I looked more and more like it belonged here in Music and Madness. I had no idea it would get this complicated. I am really learning a lot.

Yeah, I think the majority of Michael's style is derived from people like Bill Robinson, Fred Astaire, Sammy Davis Jr, Bob Fosse etc... I know Michael sat for hours watching old Hollywood musicals. Bill Robinson was a killer, killer dancer, he had so much grace and ease. So did all of the above mentioned. These guys like Poppin' Pete and Poppin' Taco and Daniels, etc... are all really good at popping their muscles and joints etc... And the main segments they've helped to choreograph in Michael's videos have been the hip hop segments, but just moving from one pose to the next, fluid motion, they aren't as good as Michael, not by a long shot.

If you watch this short clip of Michael rehearsing with Jeff Daniels for "Smooth Criminal", it only lasts a few seconds, but you can see the difference in their inital movement. Michael's is much more connected and fluid and precise, much more coordination and pronounciation to his movement, its plain to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQUQEz7nIc

Last edited:

Ha Ha. What took you so long? We missed you.

When did they move our thread? Usually they leave an arrow to where they move it. Dorothy must have been moderating again. lol

Oh well. It started out being less a question about art than about who but as we got more and more into the styles I looked more and more like it belonged here in Music and Madness. I had no idea it would get this complicated. I am really learning a lot.

Oh, I haven't been on for almost 10 hours, lol. I love these kinds of threads because of the good discussion and knowledge passed back and forth. It's interesting. And we get to talk about Michael as an artist, which we don't get to do too often, for some reason.

Yeah I think they got a rule that talking about MJ's art is not really "necessary" on the GD side of the board, only news and mentionings can be allowed there and they put the music side on its own board. I'd post here but no one responds back and if they do, it'll be one of you guys. :lol: :yes:

I know! lol, no one ever comes here except a few of us. Oh well. We have eachother, lol.

Oh, I haven't been on for almost 10 hours, lol. I love these kinds of threads because of the good discussion and knowledge passed back and forth. It's interesting. And we get to talk about Michael as an artist, which we don't get to do too often, for some reason.
Long before we had a forum for Michael's art I had asked a mod about it and they said they would pass the suggestion on to Trish. Nothing ever came of it and then I don't remember if someone else brought it up again when Trish asked for member suggestions or what but it flew that time. The point is it always bothered me when I first joined that there wasn't a place to discuss his art. I (but most people like you and mistermaxxxx) would start a thread on the main forum and it would get moved and buried someplace you wouldn't think to look. His art should be given a special spot because that is really what it is all about. That is what he has given freely. The more you understand of it the more you can appreciate on new levels.

I am afraid I perhaps don't post myself as often as I should in this forum. Of course I do come and read. It seems like others have a lot to learn from.

Yeah I think they got a rule that talking about MJ's art is not really "necessary" on the GD side of the board, only news and mentionings can be allowed there and they put the music side on its own board. I'd post here but no one responds back and if they do, it'll be one of you guys. :lol: :yes:
I know. I was surprised it stayed as long as it did. Tey never allowed discussions of his art on GD1. The idea of Music and Madness was to correct for that somewhat but you know you will get more people involved if you can keep it on the main forum.

It always annoyed me that it was relegated to second class status. The Music and Madness forum is a step up from what it was.

I know. I was surprised it stayed as long as it did. Tey never allowed discussions of his art on GD1. The idea of Music and Madness was to correct for that somewhat but you know you will get more people involved if you can keep it on the main forum.

It always annoyed me that it was relegated to second class status. The Music and Madness forum is a step up from what it was.

Sure was, this is much better, this side of the forum needs more attention though. :D

Yeah, although the name irks me, since it’s a reference to that fool J.Randy Tablidhackface's book, lol. I liked MJs Groove Theory a lot better.

But we're still having fun. It's good to point things out.

In that 7 second clip I posted, I know it’s ridiculously short, but even in that 7 seconds, you can see really distinct differences in the dancing between Michael and Jeffery. I always point this out about Michael and I'll do it again, but everything he does is thoughtfully connected. It isn't something he's aware of I mean, it’s just something that happens, each pose is connected by a series of smaller steps which lead to each final position. So if you watch that clip, you'll see the difference, where Daniels, for example, just reaches his right hand over to touch his left shoulder and then lifts it, Michael drops his entire right arm down causing his left shoulder to go up and then reaches up and touches it, making it all connect, which gives it that fluid motion. I know that's like OVER analytical, but you can see it really clearly, and that's just the thing that separates Michael from most other dancers, those really small, subtle things which you aren't consciously looking for but you can see none the less. You also see at the end when they cross their arms over each other after stepping back, Daniels just crosses them to hit the pose with no thought of how he's getting there, but Michael brings his arm up all the way over, giving it a symmetrical, balanced motion, making it much more tight and controlled in appearance, much straighter and extended. Or when Michael brings his hand to his head, its much more accurate and tight, and the way he bends his head down then brings it back up in sections, no excess, whereas Daniels just throws his up without real care as to how he gets there, the way they put their arms together before circling over to the other side, Michael is just much more tight and precise, again, no excess, or the way Michael places his free hand on his hip when putting his other hand to his head, again, giving him a symmetrical balance, where Daniels just lets his arm hang without purpose or direction, making it look more sloppy.

lol, ya'll must think I'm insane. But that's what you see there, that's what makes Michael a better dancer. You can see a lot in a short clip. I see that in every video and performance of Michael with other dancers. This difference in actual motion, where Michael connects each pose to the other with purposeful and aimed steps whereas other dancers just swoop or jump in to a pose, not possessing the fluidity to string them together with that kind of precisian and accuracy, it looks as though they are simply thinking of the next pose and flailing about to get there, throwing their limbs in the right direction, but with no control, unaware of what goes on in between, making it more sloppy. It isn't something Michael thinks about, he just does that when he dances, he just naturally creates these connect points which gives each movement a solid, calculated, harmonious affect.

Last edited:

Sure was, this is much better, this side of the forum needs more attention though. :D
I just checked and you can't see this thread if you aren't logged in. We should ask to have it treated like GD1 and be visible to 'outsiders'. I think it would be a good thing for new fans and don't know yet they are fans type peeps to be able to read.

The thing that lured me into the forum was the chart stat but what got me to stay was WBSS and mistermaxxx's discussions on Michael's skills.

Exactly. This board can be useful for people to really talk about Michael's TALENT. A thing that has been a neglectful thing to talk about in the last while. It's time to bring it back full time now.

Exactly. This board can be useful for people to really talk about Michael's TALENT. A thing that has been a neglectful thing to talk about in the last while. It's time to bring it back full time now.
Okay. I started a thread in "Ask us" requesting they open it to visitors.

Anyone who agrees can add their two bits.

Sometimes, these types of discussions crack me up. It's like Michael is being examined like a laboratory mouse. :lol:

But do proceed...

Well, its just from an artistic standpoint, nothing personal, lol. That's just me though, I like to break stuff down, but you can see it clear as day just by watching it once.

Sometimes, these types of discussions crack me up. It's like Michael is being examined like a laboratory mouse. :lol:

But do proceed...
Sometimes it is good to just feel art without thinking about it and that is what I normally do when I listen to Michael's music but for any art you gain a new appreciation for it if you also understand what the different parts are.

Michael's music can reach anyone. It is what he himself has indicated he strives for. That doesn't mean that you can't appreciate more by taking the time to learn something about it.

I never noticed for instance that the form of Michael's moonwalk changed. Like KOPV said, someone who is knowledgible in dance would see it. I get to learn to see new things from the discussions.

I also love that now that I can use You tube I get to see for myself the work of artists from the past that Michael's steps were built upon. I did not know about Bob Fossy. It is amazing how similar Michael's style is to Fossy's. I only heard about Marceau and JB as influences before.

Sometimes it is good to just feel art without thinking about it and that is what I normally do when I listen to Michael's music but for any art you gain a new appreciation for it if you also understand what the different parts are.

Michael's music can reach anyone. It is what he himself has indicated he strives for. That doesn't mean that you can't appreciate more by taking the time to learn something about it.

I never noticed for instance that the form of Michael's moonwalk changed. Like KOPV said, someone who is knowledgible in dance would see it. I get to learn to see new things from the discussions.

I also love that now that I can use You tube I get to see for myself the work of artists from the past that Michael's steps were built upon. I did not know about Bob Fossy. It is amazing how similar Michael's style is to Fossy's. I only heard about Marceau and JB as influences before.

MiJac learned from a variety of dancers. :yes:

You should participate in 'em. :p
Here here! Yes indeed.

I was looking up Bill Robinson again and found a site on You tube that has a bunch of clips of Robinson and Astaire. It is fun to watch and after watching Astaire again it just makes his comment about knowing he had a successor when he saw Michael on Motown 25 that much more meaningful.

Awesome dancer. I remember my mom having a sort of a crush on him (in a proper sort of way lol). Michael never did tap dancing after he went solo did he? It is strange, most of the early dancers did tap but you never see it anymore.

I know. And that actually sucks. I dig watching old movies where people tap-danced. I knew about tap from Sammy Davis, Jr. :)

You should participate in 'em. :p
:lol:

I guess I haven't gotten into the habit of examining the way that he dances because I've watched him evolve over the years. I've seen so many guys around me dancing, and the Jacksons have always been up on the latest dances right a long with us.

Plus, creating dances is a part of our culture. We create new dances every single year, and it is mainly the teenagers that are doing it. Also, the dances that are being created are based on whatever music we are creating at the time.

Some of the dances that we've created in the past may not go with some of the music that is being created in the present, and vice versa.

We change the style of the music on a regular basis. Therefore, we change the dances as well, and Michael knows this.

Also, we are mainly dancing to the beat of the drum which is why there is no need to count. The beat and bass can be felt, so we just move with it.

Here's a discussion that Michael and Pharrel Williams were having about music and dancing:

MJ: Right. Now the different forms of music--popular-culture music--that the black race has been responsible for bringing in, ushering in, from jazz to pop to rock 'n' roll to hip-hop, you name it, what do you think that is all about? Is it given from God?

PW: I think all music is a gift from God. And--[a fan interrupts] Michael, can you hold on for one second? [Williams talks to fan for a few seconds, then resumes talking to Jackson] Sorry.

MJ: [laughs] Blues, rock 'n' roll, all the different forms of popular-cultural music--like rock 'n' roll was invented by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino.

PW: Absolutely.

MJ: Even the dances from the cakewalk to the Charleston, the popping, the breaking, the locking. Don't you think they're a gift from God?

PW: Absolutely. God gave us that gift when he gave us the gift of interpretation. I mean, when you write your lyrics, you're writing to someone, or to the world. When you're playing, you're playing something for the world to hear. When you're dancing, you're dancing for people to see. It's just a form of expression. And then there are times when you might be a little more introverted about it, when you're dancing, writing, or playing for yourself, and you have no idea how amazing what you're doing looks, sounds, or feels, until somebody else tells you, or until you record it and go back and look at it.

For a very long time, Michael has felt like he did not put enough into his Motown 25 perform. He feels like he fell short.

He recently told Ebony...and this isn't the first time he's said this, "I remember doing the performance so clearly, and I remembered that I was so upset with myself, 'cause it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted it to be more."

The thing is, he did many things that night and we loved all of it.

He showed us how strong of a performance he can put on alone. He showed us some dances that he had created himself. He showed us that he had gone from knowing how to do the Robot, to doing a dance from the boogaloo, and no one expected this. He showed us that he had his own style of dressing. When he did the backslide he did it just right, because as I told you guys, when the fellas did this dance while competing, they would do it with no forewarning, and this is exactly how Michael did it. The reaction that he got when he did it is the exact same reaction that the guys would get during the competitions. The only difference is, Michael had a huge audience in the building, as well as people watching from their living rooms. Therefore, the reaction was more widespread. And he would not have gotten the reaction at all, if he did not do the dance correctly.

Right now, you know what many African Americans would probably love to see Michael do? Just simply dance free style every once in a while just like the brothas do at parties with female dance partners. Nothing rehearsed, just plain old dancing like he was doing in the back seat while dancing to the song Ignition. If he broke out from nowhere and did that with a chick on stage, he would get a huge reaction from us. Many of us will be saying, "Go 'head, Michael!" And trust me, he's going to look good doing it. He was doing a little bit of it when he and Will.i.am were talking to Access Hollywood and he went over by the wall so he could feel the music. Did you see how he was moving his shoulders? That was not from any dance routine. That was how he looks when he's dancing naturally.

Last edited:

Here here! Yes indeed.

I was looking up Bill Robinson again and found a site on You tube that has a bunch of clips of Robinson and Astaire. It is fun to watch and after watching Astaire again it just makes his comment about knowing he had a successor when he saw Michael on Motown 25 that much more meaningful.

Awesome dancer. I remember my mom having a sort of a crush on him (in a proper sort of way lol). Michael never did tap dancing after he went solo did he? It is strange, most of the early dancers did tap but you never see it anymore.

Yeah ec, I always thought Michael's style was most like Fosse's. He understands simplicity of movement in the same kind of way, clean, clear poses, being able to take the figure and put their silhouette against a lighted backdrop and make out each angle of their body perfectly. CLEAN dancing, man, people don't understand that anymore. They want to jam nine million steps in to each routine and it looks like crap.

Astaire was the best and he and Robinson actually worked together for a time, when Astaire was looking to concentrate further on hoofing then on ballet, he studied with Robinson for a while. And Michael is the only guy I would say has that much natural talent, as Astaire did. Fred had a grace to his dancing that was unsurpassed. I have tons of his films, I watch him all the time, and he was just explosively fast and had the most incredible ease. He made everyone else look lame.

It would be cool if Michael did more tap. I don't like a lot of tap because I feel that dancers that concentrate in this area a lot of the times neglect their upper body movement and that's no good to me. Somone like Astaire or Gene Kelly of course had as much concentration on their torso as on their lower body and when Michael does tap, he as well concentrates as fully on his torso. Why Michael and Astaire are so similar is because their movement comes from the center, so they've both got this perfect balance from top to bottom and it creates such an ease of movement and such perfect form and control.

Michael's done a lot of jazz dancing, in "Bad" and "TWYMMF", etc... A lot of the steps he does are jazz derived, which is why he dances so much like Fosse.

What people aren't aware of is, a lot of what Michael does IS improvised, but just like these kids that go out on the street and "improvise", its with moves that they've done before but just decide to do on the spot. So in videos like "They Don't Care About Us", the sequences in "Smooth Criminal" in between the line dances, when he hits certain spots, in "Beat It", etc... That's all improvised, I mean, Michael just hits those poses on the spot, what comes in to his mind.

Just dancing, just grooving to music, that's what Michael does. Just moving in time with the music, which is what AllforMJ is talking about I think, that would look like what he did in the video for "Blame It On The Boggie" or "Rock With You", but even still, he was hitting steps he'd done before but just decided to do without any pre-concived plan, none of that is what I would call structured or choreographed dancing, its what he feels at the time. Nobody actually ever improvises without steps they don't already know, that's a myth. Unless you go out and just move rhythmically to a beat, which is just bopping your head, moving your body to the music, not hitting any steps really.

So when people say Michael can't improvise, I have to laugh, because most of his dancing is improvosation. The end sequence in "Black and White", he had spots to hit, and I'm sure some of that was thought out, the whole controversial aspect, jumping on the side walk and kicking the glass bottle, but getting to each point, the dancing he does when he hits each spot, I'm certain is improvised.

He does a certain tap sequence every now and then, in "Smooth Criminal", "Black or White", its a repeated step he does. Every great dancer has a certain set of steps which define their style. Astaire had this spin he would do, up on one foot, twirl 2 or 3 times, with his arms held out, you know, Eleanor Powell had these tradmark spins she would do while coming foward or these kicks she would do.

Michael's got the kind of talent which allows him to take on and perform any style, he can duplicate the way someone moves, similar to how he can duplicat the way someone sings, in terms of phrasing, timeing, etc... He's extremely gifted.

It would be nice for him to do more of the older styles. I like it really when Michael just has a regular dance routine that doesn't involve all these hip hop flavored forms of movement. Popping, for example, I don't really consider that to be dancing per say, I consider it to be much like pantomime in that, I see it as an entirely different form of movement from what I would define as dance. Its comes down to muscle and joint control, being able to tense each muscle individually and then release it. To me, that's not dancing. Moving from step to step, moving your limbs, torso and legs from one spot to another, that movement to me, that's dancing. Locking is what I would define as dancing, etc...

Anyway, that post is WAY too long and people must think I'm annoying since nobody cared about my over the top description of that 7 second clip I posted, lol. Wahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Last edited:

WBSS you aren't annoying. I did look at your 7 second clip several times through. lol. But it was such poor quality I really couldn't see it well enough to judge. I am using my laptop and that cuts the quality of the image and it was already poor.

In one of the clips of Robinson that I saw he is dancing in front of a panel that has three big shadow silouettes of him as he dances, just like Michael has used. It really shows how much care is taken in the body positions when they use that technique. In the Robinson clip at some point the shadows stop following his and dance in a different direction. He then tries to follow his shadows and then just stands and looks at them until they dance off the panel and he starts dancing again. Very clever and done back in the 30's.

AllForMJ, I really loved that little 'sample' in the Access Hollywood clip of Michael just grooving to the music. All that joy really made me hungry for more.

Dave Chappelle did a comedy skit where he did a mock test of what kind of music blacks like as opposed to whites. Supposedly blacks would respond to music that had drum and whites to electric guitar. It was very funny but personally I don't see how electric guitar can really reach the beat inside of you like drums do regardless of who you are. I think the drums are part of what makes a dance floor fill when Michael's songs are played. They are like the beating of a heart. Michael's moves and his vocals all correspond to that same beat, reinforcing it until it is something you just can't resist.

What you are talking about with respect to dance evolving as music evolves is interesting as well. Michael obviously drew from the past to develope his own style up until now. Most of the music out there now (the new history) is based on what Michael has done already, but some music has moved on as well and there is now new history. For instance, as much as I abhore the words to Crank That, it is a song that has that strong beat that makes you want to dance (very annoying lol). The dance routine developed to go with it reflects that as well. It really makes me curious what Michael will do with his new music and dance (and I do believe we will hear and see both soon). What he does will most likely encorporate what is 'new' in a way that is his own and dance will follow.

Just to clear something up from a couple pages ago..

The sliding that MJ did 60's/70's is a COMPLETE different technique and way than the glyding he does 80's/90's etc..

The James Brown derived slides use primarily the feet and the body weight to move (the legs are simply for leverage).. The glyding that MJ picked up in the early 80's uses the primarily uses the legs and body weight (the feet used simply for leverage).

It creates a different effect.. Glyding uses pushes and pulls with the legs while weight shifting, while the sliding uses weight shifting and feet motions to appear as sliding.

Just to clear something up from a couple pages ago..

The sliding that MJ did 60's/70's is a COMPLETE different technique and way than the glyding he does 80's/90's etc..

The James Brown derived slides use primarily the feet and the body weight to move (the legs are simply for leverage).. The glyding that MJ picked up in the early 80's uses the primarily uses the legs and body weight (the feet used simply for leverage).

It creates a different effect.. Glyding uses pushes and pulls with the legs while weight shifting, while the sliding uses weight shifting and feet motions to appear as sliding.
Thank you for that description. Having it pointed out I can see it. Cool. I can't wait to show off my newfound knowledge. lol:lol:

Last edited:

But the lean he created, no?

But the lean he created, no?
I don't know. Some of the clips of Daniels seem to claim that Daniels did it first but who knows where he got it from. Perhaps Michael does it further than it was done before since we know he has a pattent on shoes for creating the effect.

Back