Which Is the Best Super Bowl Halftime Show Ever? (Billboard.com)

19,138 votes :clap::clap: :clap: :clap:

Does anybody know when the poll close?

And this is part of what they wrote - The King of Pop whipped viewers into a frenzy with a lip-synched medley of "Jam," "Billie Jean" and "Black or White."

So those who still think HIStory is a good choice to release - think again. - The lip-synched singing is not even accepted in a half-time show - think what they will write when they see 2 hours miming to CD/Album vocals - not even re-recorded live vocals... - HIStory could (and should) be released as a low attention fan release. - Not in theaters for crying out loud !! - Play-Back is simply NOT accepted anymore...

^^yeah and tonight's show was a bunch of lighting and explosions and cute little dancers. No great songs or singing or anything. Not a top 10 half time.

And today I read 4 articles about Mariah Carey lip synching horrendously recently. It's a big deal.

What does billboard know though. It was still the best show ever. Not #10.

As I see it that article was published on the 30th January (Friday), so they published it before the poll was closed.

As good as his performance was way back in 93, seeing the effects they use now in the show, I can't help but wonder what his performance would have looked like if he could have used things like that. I bet he would have had tonnes of ideas.

MJ's superbowl is the greatest Super Bowl of all time. I'm not just saying that because in every article I've seen, guess who's picture is shown and who's name is mentioned. People can try with Sharks and Nipples, but it doesn't match raw talent in which Michael oozed.

The article is not connected to the poll - it is Billboard's chart, while the poll is the public voting.

That good to know how can they list Prince as #1 in the top 10 and he did not even get that many vote in the poll. It does not matter because Michael Super Bowl Show will always be #1

The King Of Pop Live Forever

The article is not connected to the poll - it is Billboard's chart, while the poll is the public voting.

It's more like the author's opinion, not a "chart". Unless the order is based on ratings, but it isn't because the Bruno Mars should be #1, not Prince.

And this is part of what they wrote - The King of Pop whipped viewers into a frenzy with a lip-synched medley of "Jam," "Billie Jean" and "Black or White."

So those who still think HIStory is a good choice to release - think again. - The lip-synched singing is not even accepted in a half-time show - think what they will write when they see 2 hours miming to CD/Album vocals - not even re-recorded live vocals... - HIStory could (and should) be released as a low attention fan release. - Not in theaters for crying out loud !! - Play-Back is simply NOT accepted anymore...

You are right about HIStory some fans do feel that way not to put it on the big screen they should have put BAD Wembley Concert on the big screen that was live and to see Michael dancing and moving to the music Michael was singing his heart out and to hear his voice it was awesome when he going into that part before he sing Rock With You that get me all the time he is just so exciting to watch and to see that on the big screen it would have had that theater feeling because it was live would have been awesome to see.

I would like to see one of Michael Dangerous concert on the big screen that would be nice. You are right about the play back i have two of the HISTory concert Munich and Finland Munich i have to play on my other DVD player it will not play back on my other DVD player it will. We will have to see what the Estate will do i hope it good and worth the wait.

To be honest, even though I voted MJ, I think Beyonce performed my most favourite half-time show.

Of course you have to immediately point out the obvious, that Beyonce has the advantage of 20 years of advancement in technology as well as the advantage of performing at night, allowing for far superior lighting effects (which were rather poor in MJ's performance but only due to the fact they performed at daytime).

In spite of that, both MJ and Beyonce exhibit great raw talent at their respective shows. I think what I liked about Beyonce's though was that not only she sung live whilst performing, but the fact that she didn't use the studio versions while performing. She changed it up and remixed them and that made it so much more exciting and interesting. The best parts of MJ's performance in my opinion are when he's going all out with the back-up soldiers to the remixed 'Jam' (as well as the more spectacle parts, such as the huge white and black hand banner).

I recognise that Michael obviously had more primitive technology and (for whatever reason) performed during the day and I still like the performance, it's just that I honestly feel more pumped and excited during Beyonce's performance.

Just my honest two cents.

I also watched Katy Perry's show earlier tonight and god damn it was unremarkable as hell. Missy Elliot helped but overall it was meh (Though the ending with the star flying around the stadium was mean).

Beyonce is a great performer, but for some reason she could never move me in any way. It's like she is a very polished and very calculated professional, but the soul is somehow missing. And I could never get into her music.

To be consistent with my general dislike for lip syncing: the fact Beyoncé sang live does give her the edge but had MJ sung live I would take his performance over hers any day. Lights do not mean anything to me (like I said elsewhere, that's just a matter of a deep pocket, not of talent). Soul, charisma, stage presence do. Those are the things you cannot buy with money. (Just look at Bad Tour - no lights, no laser, no riding of big lions or any other gimmick and it's still one of the greatest things ever. Simply because MJ has such a huge stage presence and charisma - on top of his singing/dancing talent.)

From current artists, I think Bruno Mars' half-time show was the best (even though I'm not really into his music either, except for one-two songs).

Last edited:
I never understood why Michael lip synced on live shows like that, when at the time he did mostly live at his concerts but separate performances he didn't. Is it something to do with him being perfectionist, or something along those lines? You know wanting it to sound as good as it can be

I never understood why Michael lip synced on live shows like that, when at the time he did mostly live at his concerts but separate performances he didn't. Is it something to do with him being perfectionist, or something along those lines? You know wanting it to sound as good as it can be

I think yes - being a perfectionist. Also growing up in the 70s and performing at TV shows during that period where lip-syncing was the norm and no one considered it a big deal, maybe he did not realize that from the late 80s, early 90s on people started to consider it a big deal. (Maybe because of the Milli Vanili scandal.) It's a shame because he was a great singer live, he had nothing to hide (on the contrary, there's nothing like the passion of his live ad-libs) and I wish he had sung live more during TV performances. Maybe he had this mind frame that it's more important for the public that he sounded perfectly like on the record than the authenticity of a live performance, idk.

I think yes - being a perfectionist. Also growing up in the 70s and performing at TV shows during that period where lip-syncing was the norm and no one considered it a big deal, maybe he did not realize that from the late 80s, early 90s on people started to consider it a big deal. (Maybe because of the Milli Vanili scandal.) It's a shame because he was a great singer live, he had nothing to hide (on the contrary, there's nothing like the passion of his live ad-libs) and I wish he had sung live more during TV performances. Maybe he had this mind frame that it's more important for the public that he sounded perfectly like on the record than the authenticity of a live performance, idk.

When the live vocals came in during Man In The Mirror at the grammy's it took the performance to a whole other level

I have watched a lot of half time shows in the last decade or so and I've always notice that they sound distorted or off key. Somehow they don't sound right thru tv when live.
I'm talking about bands like the Who and U2.
Bruno's half time was fantastic tho.

And I still think Michael's is the best and a lot if that is due to the lack of technology. It has an organic feel to me.

Yeah I can understand where he got that thinking from but he definitely didn't need to do it, and he could prove it too. And I agree with analogue, that performance is probably my favourite, I get chills and feel emotional watching it

Yeah I can understand where he got that thinking from but he definitely didn't need to do it, and he could prove it too. And I agree with analogue, that performance is probably my favourite, I get chills and feel emotional watching it
Agreed!!!!

A lot of artists lipsync to pre-recorded vocals during big events like this, fact. It's pretty much standard practice. Even Whitney Houston lipped her iconic Star Spangle Banner performance and yet it's still considered her most iconic vocal performance. Madonna lipped, Janet lipped, Shania Twain lipped etc., and of course Katy Perry lipped the other day too. These are huge stadiums, a massive event watched worldwide and the artists are likely very nervous in addition. It's better safe than sorry.

Yeah I can understand where he got that thinking from but he definitely didn't need to do it, and he could prove it too.

Personally, if I was Michael, I would've just re-recorded some of those tracks for the SuperBowl performance. The vocals would sound different enough that everyone would think he was legit singing and even the fans would be fooled if he never used those vocals on future performances.

(The difference between Michael talking about children and Heal The World starting a second later is so painfully obvious).

Wow, really? Is this lipped?

Yep, it's a known fact. There was even a bit of a controversy about it back then, but despite that it still remains iconic. She does sing, but her mic is turned off and what everyone hears is a studio version. It was confirmed by her publicist, the NFL etc. You can google more info about it if you want.

Other artists like Jennifer Hudson, Faith Hill, Mariah Carey also lipped the national anthem.

I honestly didn't notice Heal the World starting so fast because I was excited with him and the show. I'll have to watch again. There's always an echo or wierd sound reverb things going on in outdoor stadiums so I probably still won't notice.
And yes most singers including Whitney's and her greatest performance, lip sync outside because of weather too.
Last year they made a big deal out of the Red hot chili peppers not having their guitars plugged in. I didn't see Lenny's plugged in either but no one seems to care this year.

Even Bruce Springsteens band was miming to a track (the instruments, not singing).

The reason they don't let the bands actually play their instruments live is because it's too big of a gamble with things that can go wrong in that instance.
Not to say EVERY band mimes it. Not sure about Prince. If nothing else, his guitar at least must have been live.

Back