Which of Michael's dance moves do you consider ICONIC?

OffTheWall1979

Proud Member
Everyone knows that the moonwalk is Michael's most famous and beloved dance move. But I wonder about all his other amazing moves? Which of them would you regard as iconic and in which order would you rank them?

My view can be seen in the video below!

https://youtu.be/Fwlolq1RvXY

Awesome video. All of those are there for me are the iconic ones. A few more I love (perhaps not all of them are so much moves but little gestures) One is what I call the Indian stomp; that hop skip move that he did for WBSS, Heartbreak Hotel and the BOW short film, thats epic for me. The bad tour strutt; Another Part Of Me music video, he's just strutting like he's on a catwalk. The pout; mainly used on the Bad Tour. There was a very rare move he did sometimes, what I call the forward moonwalk, he did it during Bad on one of the nights in Wembley 88 (It's on youtube), it's on another level altogether. Great top 10.

All of em TBH.
All of Michael's dance moves and choreo are extremely iconic just on different levels.
He's the only artist I can say this for too.

Other artists will have lots of different dancing and sets of choreo but only a few out of all of them will end up iconic if they're lucky (for example, Silento with the stanky leg and the whip and nae nae, or Beyonce with Single Ladies), but literally ALL of Michael's main moves AND choreo are iconic, just some more then others.
If someone so much as kicks their leg a certain way people are reminded of Michael.

Michael is the most iconic artist to ever exist TBH.

Great video. My favourite Michael dance move and for me the most iconic also is the man in the mirror spin where he falls onto his knees. I love that. That's why I'm not too keen on the HIStory tour because we didn't get that dance move during that tour.

Is this about iconic moves or iconic choreographies? Because the two aren't the same and in the video the two are mixed. Once you talk about a dance move then about a whole choreography.

As for moves. His spins were phenomenal. And he had quite a few iconic moves that you know are MJ when you see them. Even just tiny movements, little gestures made him unmistakable as a dancer. Moves that are so iconic that you just see an outline or an abstract of it and you immediately know it is MJ.

Eg.

this_is_it-4.jpg

mj_thisisit.jpg

MJ_ThisIsIt_1_L.jpg

This-is-it-Michael-Jackson-michael-jackson-2002-2009-16766204-474-720.jpg

I also love what Mikhail Barysnikov said about him and his WALK!

"I don't know who you could really put next to him," said ballet star Mikhail Baryshnikov, reached yesterday in Madrid. "To imitate somebody like Michael Jackson is impossible. Why bother? You just relax and admire."

Jackson was a perfectionist, and could relate to other perfectionists. Baryshnikov got to know him through Elizabeth Taylor, who would "drag him to see me dance," Baryshnikov said, when he was at American Ballet Theatre and later when performing in the White Oak Dance Project, his modern-dance company. They would talk about ballet -- Jackson had a lot of questions, he recalled, "like a 12-year-old" -- and he would ask about working with choreographers. He told Baryshnikov that choreographers would suggest ideas to him, but that he created his own dances. What Baryshnikov remembers most about Jackson, he said, was "not even his turns or his grabbing his crotch. Just his simple, bouncy walk across the stage, that was what was most beautiful and arresting, swinging his hips, kicking his heel forward. That's to me what he is: that superior confidence in his body as a dancer. You wanted to say, 'Wow, this guy, what a cat; he can really move in his own way.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062604257.html

Yeah, I know some of them should be labeled as choreographs, but they are indeed so iconic I just had to include them in the video nonetheless. Thanks for your responses guys :)

(...)

MJ_ThisIsIt_1_L.jpg

(...)

The outline is not Michael Jackson. Both official 'This Is It' artworks are not Michael Jackson. Speaking of the outlines only, inside it's MJ of course.
Michael never execuded these poses this way, they lack of strength and expression. It's a lame standin model trying to strike an MJ-like pose.
The others you posted are fanmade (as far as I know) and are indeed Michael.

Official 'This Is It' artworks (click to enlarge)

Last edited:
The outline is not Michael Jackson. Both official 'This Is It' artworks are not Michael Jackson. Speaking of the outlines only, inside it's MJ of course.
Michael never execuded these poses this way, they lack of strength and expression. It's a lame standin model trying to strike an MJ-like pose.
The others you posted are fanmade (as far as I know) and are indeed Michael.

Official 'This Is It' artworks (click to enlarge)

Thanks, but whether someone else is miming them on a particular artwork is not really the point of the thread. We are talking about iconic MJ moves. Which of course are mimed all the time by others. But they are still iconic MJ moves - and everyone recognizes them as MJ moves when they see them - even if they see them performed by other dancers. Someone who had a distinctive dancing style and distinctive moves can be copied, of course (the quality of the execution is another matter) but even then everyone will associate the moves with the original performer. You see another dancer do them and you immediately say: "Oh, that's an MJ move!" That's what iconic moves are about! Exactly because they are so distinct and so characteristic of and such a trademark of the original performer. And that's really the point in this thread: iconic moves that were characteristic of him.

I could have posted the same moves in drawing:

1548983_9cf333257b.jpg

Michael-Jackson-s-font-b-dance-b-font-font-b-moves-b-font-Design-case-cover.jpg

Or using MJ footage.

11419219_107140129623223_388446943_n.jpg

Or using footage of someone else doing them.

Hrithik-Michael-Jackson-Dance-Moves-in-Bang-Bang-Title-Song.jpg

The point is, you see them and you know they are MJ moves, no matter whether it is performed by MJ or someone else, or you just see an outline or a sketch of it.

MJ Production's own logo is so cool exactly because it shows a simple leg move but that in itself is such a trademark.

mjj_productions-converted.png

Last edited:
^^ Yes, agreed with everything you wrote. I was just pointing out that they didn't use an actual MJ silhoutte which is quite odd. Probably bothers me more than others. LOL.

Thanks, but whether someone else is miming them on a particular artwork is not really the point of the thread. We are talking about iconic MJ moves. Which of course are mimed all the time by others. But they are still iconic MJ moves - and everyone recognizes them as MJ moves when they see them - even if they see them performed by other dancers. Someone who had a distinctive dancing style and distinctive moves can be copied, of course (the quality of the execution is another matter) but even then everyone will associate the moves with the original performer. You see another dancer do them and you immediately say: "Oh, that's an MJ move!" That's what iconic moves are about! Exactly because they are so distinct and so characteristic of and such a trademark of the original performer. And that's really the point in this thread: iconic moves that were characteristic of him.

I could have posted the same moves in drawing:

1548983_9cf333257b.jpg

Michael-Jackson-s-font-b-dance-b-font-font-b-moves-b-font-Design-case-cover.jpg

Or using MJ footage.

11419219_107140129623223_388446943_n.jpg

Or using footage of someone else doing them.

Hrithik-Michael-Jackson-Dance-Moves-in-Bang-Bang-Title-Song.jpg

The point is, you see them and you know they are MJ moves, no matter whether it is performed by MJ or someone else, or you just see an outline or a sketch of it.

MJ Production's own logo is so cool exactly because it shows a simple leg move but that in itself is such a trademark.

mjj_productions-converted.png
I agree with the bolded, and I love how a move that Michael did for literally seconds (the toe stand) and only one time per performance of Billie Jean can become so damn iconic.
Only he could do that, LOL.:)

Aaaalllll of this! :)
And the part I wanted to point out starts at about 1 min 49 sec. thru about 1 min 53 secs.
Would that be considered a James Brown move? IDK, but I know he does it a lot in his dancing.
The movements, gestures, facial expressions, even the way his body is curved and all of that- is just awesome to me.
Don't know if it's considered ICONIC or not but I sure do like to see him do it. :D

And of course you guys hit on some of his best moves too. :yes:

Got 3 minutes? Here ya go.

Here's the almost 10 minute video of the rest of his set. Its a little better quality. :)

All his moves are iconic to me because he made them so uniquely his own. The ones that stand out for me are sometimes the most subtle moves. The head bob, the way he rolls his shoulders at the end of human nature, finger placements, his swagger on stage especially at the end of BOTDF. Every move is so refined and detailed.

All his moves are iconic to me because he made them so uniquely his own. The ones that stand out for me are sometimes the most subtle moves. The head bob, the way he rolls his shoulders at the end of human nature, finger placements, his swagger on stage especially at the end of BOTDF. Every move is so refined and detailed.

Exactly!
Even his crotch grab seemed to be unique to him.
Whenever someone else tries to do it it's just cringeworthy and awkward, but when Michael does it, it just somehow looks right, LOL.

Agree with you both.
The way he executed the simplest to the most complicated moves he made them look to the 10th power.
Infused with charisma, sex appeal and skill...effortlessly it seems..... No one compares.

It's that dedication and perfection he had. I know what Pink means by others not measuring up when they try do his moves. It's not that they can't do them but to me they do come across as just imitating his moves where for him he had refined them so much they were almost a natural extension of him.

All of them! But the most iconic to me are probably the moonwalk, the spin, the toe stand, and the lean (in that order!)

Michael very much used his HANDS (that twirling finger!) and his face to dance with! I guess that is very unique. Some of his hand (not arm! lol) movements seem to be part of the coreography (hence the tape). But his (much appreciated) facial expressions are pure emotion and VERY lively.

EDIT (I just saw that this was cut off):

Michael strutting across the stage in various ways.

Mikhail Baryshnikov on Michael: "Just his simple, bouncy walk across the stage, that was what was most beautiful and arresting, swinging his hips, kicking his heel forward. That's to me what he is: that superior confidence in his body as a dancer. You wanted to say, 'Wow, this guy, what a cat; he can really move in his own way.`"

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062604257.html

Last edited:
moonstruck87;4178378 said:
Michael very much used his HANDS (that twirling finger!) and his face to dance with! I guess that is very unique. Some of his hand (not arm! lol) movements seem to be part of the coreography (hence the tape). But his (much appreciated) facial expressions are pure emotion and VERY lively.

Reminds me of something in this great article about MJ's dancing:

To me, the legions of Michael Jackson impersonators imitating his dance moves are pure profanation. His bodily presence and emotional expression on stage cannot be copied. He is recognizable by the tiniest nuance, not to mention his one-of-a-kind energy. Even if a dancer can brilliantly perform the same dance elements, it’s impossible to copy Michael’s hand. In this regard, those impersonators who use Jackson’s style simply as a basis for their own variations and improvisations have an advantage. Their dancing always looks more interesting, alive, and skillful than an attempt to precisely replicate his movements, which is practically impossible in dancing. Jackson cannot be repeated, copied, or imitated – just like any famous dancer cannot be duplicated.

The most eloquent parts of the body when dancing are the hands and feet. Especially the hands. The hands are the third tool after words and facial expression to help us express our thoughts and feelings. They make gestures; they talk; they can even sing. I often tell my students that, to be truly expressive when dancing, the hands have to continue the impulse coming out of you, your gaze and your feelings. The palm and fingertips are the source of outpouring energy. They have to be visible. The hands are the most delicate instrument in movement.

Michael enhanced the visual effect with the help of white tape and a glove. They acted like fireballs of energy flashing against the darkness of the mysterious image. The same was true of the white socks – they accentuated his feet. And all this elegant magic of a cavalier in black suddenly opened up in a wild African ecstasy concealed under the covers of the theatrical props. Tap dance movements turned into sensual arching of the body, the famous daring crotch grabbing and crazy shirt ripping.

This works better than a striptease. It’s seduction at the level of subconscious associations and emotions, the level of beauty and not plain physiology. This is how Michael gripped the attention of even the most demanding women and young ladies who don’t fall for demonstrations of rude masculinity.

Did Michael realize what he was doing? I think, intuitively he did, and he also realized that he was drawing a lot of attention – but he never thought too much about it. And this allowed him to dance naturally, chastely and ingenuously, like a wild man. His dancing body became seductive and desirable, while his soul remained filled with pure energy. It is sensuality of a higher level, where the body is subject to the spirit.

http://en.michaeljackson.ru/michael-jackson-the-dancer-of-the-dream/

Exactly!
Even his crotch grab seemed to be unique to him.
Whenever someone else tries to do it it's just cringeworthy and awkward, but when Michael does it, it just somehow looks right, LOL.

I've never seen anyone else grab their crotch and I don't want to :lol:

I think others try to hard with the crotch grab. There's no subtlety, no finesse, no sensuous moves. More like they just "grab". MJ never actually grabbed. At least not that I've seen. He's slides his hand down, or makes moves to grab but never actually does. He teased with it more than anything as far as I can see.

I've never seen anyone else grab their crotch and I don't want to :lol:

That's the same for me. A crotch grab doesn't seem right when anyone else is doing it. LOL. Indeed the subtlety and elegance in his moves makes all the difference. But not only about the crotch grab but everything he does.

I think others try to hard with the crotch grab. There's no subtlety, no finesse, no sensuous moves. More like they just "grab".MJ never actually grabbed. At least not that I've seen. He's slides his hand down, or makes moves to grab but never actually does. He teased with it more than anything as far as I can see.
N0cxPEZ.jpg
:lol:

Last edited:
Back