Which version would you choose for an 8-Track album? (New vs Original)

MJ5

Proud Member
My List with each Track:

1. Love Never Felt So Good (Recorded 1983)
+ Justin Timberlake Remake [10/10]

2. Chicago (1999)
+ NEW (by Timbaland) [10/10]

3. Loving You (~1986)

4. A Place With No Name (1998)
+ ORIGINAL [10/10]

5. Slave to the Rhythm (1989)
+ ORIGINAL [7/10]

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (1990)

7. Blue Gangsta (1998)
+ LEAK

8. Xscape (1999)
+ ORIGINAL [10/10]

Last edited:
Sorry but screw the new mixes. Michael has a better ear for music than any of these fools.

MJ5 i complement your list & salute you for you open mind.
THX, also for this thread.
I thought about doing almost the same thing & will post my list later on.

I just listened to the full album Track 1 through 17.
Just wanna say: There is not one bad song on this great album, which is Xscape by Michael jackson.
There is not one failed job by any of the producers.

In some instances the OG is better for me & in some instances the new mix is better to me.
But all in all, this XSCAPE album is perfect TO ME.
Truly #TheBestIveNeverHeard

I wish for You all MJJC'ers, that you could enjoy this album, as much as i do & for what it truly is. A great collection of 8 songs, each interpreted in different, yet always in beautiful ways!

Thank You Michael Jackson
Thank You to the Estate of MJ (John&John)
Thank You to Timbaland
Thank You to Stargate
Thank You to Darkchild
Thank You to John Mc Lain & Giorgio Tuinfort
& Last not least Thank You to LA Reid

To the close minded: I can't understand you.
("Read the liner notes & take it by heart" is my only advice for you, for now)

Last edited:
MJ5 i complement your list & salute you for you open mind.
THX, also for this thread.
I thought about doing almost the same thing & will post my list later on.

Write your list when you are ready :)

The originals are better, but they sound dated. The new versions of all the songs work in 2014.

And you have to remember that some of these songs date back to 1983. Not all of them will sound fresh. DYKWYCA sounds very 80ish and thin. Same with Loving You.

I like all of them!
They are all so different and beautiful in their own way!
They are all so Michael Jackson!!!
And the vocals OMG!!!

1. Love Never Felt So Good
- ORIGINAL

2. Chicago
- NEW

3. Loving You
- NEW

4. A Place With No Name
- [undecided]

5. Slave to the Rhythm
- ORIGINAL

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
- NEW

7. Blue Gangsta
- [undecided]

8. Xscape
- NEW

As you can see I still have a few undecided... And with both songs I really like elements of both versions. APWNN is the most difficult -- I LOVE the original but also think Stargate's production is one of the strongest on the album.

-Love Never Felt So Good: New
-Chicago: New
-Loving You: New
-Place With No Name: Original
-Slave to the Rythym: New
-Do You Know Where Your Children Are: Original
-Blue Gangsta: New
-Xscape: New

Xscape is the most improved.

1. LNFSG
new

2. Chicago
new

3. Loving you
new

4. APWNN
new is rly good for me, but the original also... cant decide here.

5.STTR
new (the demo is still nice)

6. DYKWNCA
demo / 2010 mix

7. BG
new

8. Xscape
new

but i love all the demos, the only i dont like is BG and LNFSG here.

- NEW

2. Chicago
- NEW

3. Loving You
- ORIGINAL

4. A Place With No Name
- ORIGINAL

5. Slave to the Rhythm
- NEW

- NEW

7. Blue Gangsta
- ORIGINAL

8. Xscape
- ORIGINAL

I LOVE THE ORIGINALS. But if I imagine I would have to present an 8 track record to my friends and family, this would be it. Slave to the Rhythm and DYKWYCA sound dated (even though these are brilliant recordings). Chicago is also great, but for some reason i like MJs vocals better on the new version(cause they are more prominent i guess).

1. Love Never Felt So Good (NEW, solo version)
The demo is really simplistic. But even so, the new one is pretty wonderful in my opinion. They did a great job of just updating this song in my opinion, it retains the great feel of the original.

2. Chicago (ORIGINAL)
I just love the slower, more ambient feel to this one. Very mysterious sounding, really enjoy that. I'm not a huge fan of the remix, so an easy choice for me here.

3. Loving You (UNDECIDED)
The original instrumentation feel a bit crude which kinda defeats the point of the song. I like the chorus in the Timbaland version but I don't like the orchestra hits all over the place. Pleasant song but none of the versions really live up to the potential of this track in my opinion.

4. A Place With No Name (UNDECIDED)
Well, this is hard because I really love both versions. This is just a super strong song, whether it's the upbeat remix or the more introspective original. Very different feels on them, but I love both of them. Best song on the album for me.

5. Slave To The Rythm (NEW)
While the original is pretty great (especially like the little synth melody playing throughout and the heavy beat), I must say that I think the new version adds a real hectic urgency to the track that I feel is very appropiate for the lyrics. It fits well with Michael's awesome and intense performance as well.

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (ORIGINAL)
Hard choice here but I think the new version sounds a bit... too much. It's like they tried to make everything sound so huge it ends up being a bit overbearing and loud. And the guitar solo at the end, that tone... urgh. Not my favorite track all in all.

7. Blue Gangsta (ORIGINAL)
I think the new one is waaay too busy and loses a lot of the original feeling of the track as well. Feels more like an overproduced hip-hop song or something. That said, I think the original needed a lot of work as well... It kinda feels like they really wanted to make something special but hadn't quite found their way to make it really *work* yet. It feel like it doesn't quite know what it wants to be if that makes any sense. Still, I love that there's stuff like the horns and the accordion on it. Think it could've turned into something really cool.

8. Xscape (ORIGINAL)
I don't think the new version is bad or anything but I just love how... percussive the original one is. It almost feels like Speed Demon in some ways, love the stuttery, choppy feel of some parts and Michael's voice soaring over them.

1. LNFSG - new
2. Chicago - new
3. Loving You - new
4. APWNN - new not question about it
5. STTR - new
6.DYKWYCA - new
7. Blue Gangsta - original
8. Xscape - new

I'll go for all the new tracks.. they sound fresh and they are all very well produced. The originals sound all dated to me. Michael sounds so great and not demo-ish like with the originals. I've had enough of demo's personally. Too bad Michael wasn't able to be involved into this project... or any other project. But I think he would've liked the end result we have right now.

My list, based on OP's post:

1. Love Never Felt So Good (Recorded 1983)
+ NEW

2. Chicago (1999)
+ ORIGINAL

3. Loving You (~1986)
+ NEW

4. A Place With No Name (1998)
+ Somewhat undecided, but original for the most part. This is the most divisive song for me. At first I didn't really enjoy the LMA ripoff but it's grown on me a ton. I think both mixes pack a good punch. However, the original does feel more 'right' overall.

5. Slave to the Rhythm (1989)
+ ORIGINAL

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (1990)
+ NEW

7. Blue Gangsta (1998)
+ NEW

8. Xscape (1999)
+ NEW

Yeah i have to say all the new ones, with LNFSG feat JT. Personally, i think that works the best. The songs took a while to get used to because of how many times i'd heard the demos. But i think they killed it

All the original versions except Love Never Felt So Good (without Justin) and Loving You :)

1. Love Never Felt So Good (McClain Version)
2. Chicago (Timbaland Version)
3. Loving You (tie)
4. A Place With No Name (tie)
5. Slave to the Rhythm (Timbaland version)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version)
7. Blue Gangsta (original)
8. Xscape (Jerkins remix)
9. Love Never Felt So Good (with Justin Timberlake)

1. Love Never Felt So Good (Original)
2. Chicago (New)
3. Loving You (Original)
4. A Place With No Name (Original)
5. Slave To The Rhythm (Original)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (Original)
7. Blue Gangsta (Original)
8. Xscape (New)
9. Love Never Felt So Good Ft. Justin Timberlake

The whole album is a work of art, but if i had to choose.. i would go in favor of Michael's original recording's. New Mixes are great, no doubt.. But i love hearing what Michael had mixed on his demo's.

1. Love Never Felt So Good (with Justin Timberlake)
2. Chicago (Timbaland Version)
3. Loving You (Timbaland Version)
4. A Place With No Name (Original Version)
5. Slave to the Rhythm (Timbaland version)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version with Steve Lukather)
7. Blue Gangsta (Original Version)
8. Xscape (2014 Version)

Im not favouring any mixes because i love them all in there own right. The new version of chicago is so good it sounds like it was recorded last week......happy listening people

1. LNFSG
new

2. Chicago
new

3. Loving you
new

4. APWNN
new is rly good for me, but the original also... cant decide here.

5.STTR
new (the demo is still nice)

6. DYKWNCA
demo / 2010 mix

7. BG
new

8. Xscape
new

but i love all the demos, the only i dont like is BG and LNFSG here.

I pretty much agree with this. You nailed it sir

- NEW (this song never felt so good!)

2. Chicago
- NEW

3. Loving You
- NEW

4. A Place With No Name
- ORIGINAL (it is far superior and is also my favorite track off the album)

5. Slave to the Rhythm
- LEAK

- NEW

7. Blue Gangsta
- ORIGINAL (better intro)

8. Xscape
- ORIGINAL (better intro)

No place for Justin Timberlake in my 8 Track album :D

Last edited:
Thank You Michael Jackson
Thank You to the Estate of MJ (John&John)
Thank You to Timbaland
Thank You to Stargate
Thank You to Darkchild
Thank You to John Mc Lain & Giorgio Tuinfort
& Last not least Thank You to LA Reid
If you don't mind I'd like to post my own "thank yous":)

Thank you Michael "Smelly" Jackson for leaving such beautiful gems in your vault!
Thank you John & John for this release, especially the original untouched versions!
Thank you to some special fans out there (you know who you are:wink:) for your endless efforts of contribution in regard of our desire of untouched material. YES, WE CAN!!!
Thank you Matt Forger for your work on the archive material!
Thank you Corey Rooney for your contribution of the song "SWLM"!
Thank you L.A. Reid & Babyface for your contribution of the song "STTR" for the Dangerous album!

1. LNFSG - new (with JT)
2. Chicago - new
3. Loving You - new
4. APWNN - new
5. STTR - original
6.DYKWYCA - neither one :ph34r:
7. Blue Gangsta - neither one :ph34r:
8. Xscape - original

All originals + McClain's LNFSG as a bonus track.

Even comparing the rest of the mixes to Michael's songs is an offense. Musically they are ridiculous - a bunch of random sounds shaken up in a bucket mostly. The only good thing about remixed versions is highlighted lead vocal.

The only remixes I'll return to regularly in the future are probably Chicago and Loving You. But I'll listen to the originals of those just as much if not more. The rest I'll most likely just play the originals in the future. I may play some of the other remixes every once in a while to remember what they sound like. I'll probably never again listen to the remixes of LNFSG (not because it's really bad, I just much prefer the original) and DYKWYCA (because it's really bad).

So my track list would be the 8 originals with 2 bonus tracks... the remixes to Chicago and Loving You.

Great thread! I just had to contribute:

1. Love Never Felt So Good - NEW (without JT)

2. Chicago - NEW (Love it!)
3. Loving You - NEW (Love it!)
4. A Place With No Name - NEW (this is a close one, but I'm really loving the LMA elements which make it sound more like an MJ song than the original did...)
5. Slave To The Rhythm - NEW (not my favourite song either way, but sounds a bit more polished in the new version)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are - NEW (I like both, but the original does sound quite outdated..)
7. Blue Gangsta - ORIGINAL
8. Xscape - ORIGINAL

So really, I'm quite happy with these interpretations, except maybe for Blue Gangsta and Xscape which I already loved as originals, but the new ones aren't terrible either. :)

Mine would be...

1. Love Never Felt So Good - 2014
2. Chicago - 2014
3. Loving You - 2014 (this is really close)
4. A Place With No Name - 2014 (AMAZING)
5. Slave To The Rhythm - Original (I actually want to dance to this version and LOVE the synths; the 2014 mix I don't find has much "rhythm" at all)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are - 2014
7. Blue Gangsta - 2014
8. Xscape - Original (even though I love the 2014 mix, the original has a certain je ne sais quoi!)

Back