Whitney Houston Has Passed Away

whitney_billboard_color_640.jpg

Whitney Houston had a very close connection to Michael Jackson, and ironically the pair had even more in common with their sudden, tragic deaths at almost the same exact age.
Now, ET has obtained a copy of a tribute to Whitney by the Jackson Estate that is running in trade magazines, the Los Angeles Times and Whitney's hometown paper, the Newark Star Ledger, on Saturday, the day of her funeral.

Above the image of a single, perfect rose, the ad reads simply "Whitney," then below it, "In loving memory of her majestic voice, her radiant beauty and the magic she created on stage."

Stick with ETonline this Saturday for complete coverage of Whitney's funeral.

That was a very classy move by the estate. But these
Media heads are really reaching to find connections, 48 and 50, almost 51 ate hardly the same exact age. It would at least be nice to see a cause of death before making all these weak comparisons. Whitney is a big enough star to draw her own headlines without having to drag Michael's name for viewers

I am sorry but is he hinting that Michael's was not dignified? I thought the memorial was nice and the funeral was private. I don't mean to start an argument but I couldn't help but think that.

As for the estate, I think that is very nice thing to do. If Michael was here he would have wanted to do something for her. In a way it's from him.

I don't think Pastor Winan is saying that at all. I've been to his church and he is not that type of person at all. Pastor Winan had a friendship with MJ.

Thank you. The comment I just wasn't sure what he meant by that.

From what I’m hearing on the news Whitney’s funeral is bringing out the gospel superstars. Bishop T.D. Jakes as well as Reverend Al Sharpton and Rev. Jessie Jackson are scheduled to attend along with the entire Winans family. If you have never heard the Winans sing you are in for a tremendous treat. Whitney’s family roots are deep in the church and she is well loved in the Christian community. My own pastor who resides in Detroit with a membership of over 5,000 spoke of her this past Sunday morning. Aretha Franklin’s daddy was a gospel minister here in Detroit and Aretha still attends her father’s church. Whenever Whitney was in town she would always drop by the Winan’s church. The Winan's including Mom & Pop Winan are all powerful singers.

Last edited:
I am sure it is going to be very nice for her. I am confused if this will be just online or on tv as well.

I'm still in shock, I hope that she can rest in peace, she didn't have the peace here on earth, hopefully she has it now. We love you Whitney, take care dear, Michael will take care of you. :wub:

That was a very classy move by the estate. But these
Media heads are really reaching to find connections, 48 and 50, almost 51 ate hardly the same exact age. It would at least be nice to see a cause of death before making all these weak comparisons. Whitney is a big enough star to draw her own headlines without having to drag Michael's name for viewers

Exactly!

They already did that.In my country, on the news, they mentioned the interview and that was the only thing they highlighted, when the two of them talked about Michael.And every other word was "like Michael Jackson "..very, very upsetting :(

The media have been playing the Michael/Whitney hype game ever since she passed, its like MJ has to be dragged into everything. And if I am to be honest, its bugging the heck outta me!

I'm still in shock, I hope that she can rest in peace, she didn't have the peace here on earth, hopefully she has it now. We love you Whitney, take care dear, Michael will take care of you. :wub:

Here's the official Whitney Houston invitation ... and Whitney's family is not referring to the singer's burial ceremony as a "funeral" ... but rather a "home going service."

The invite -- obtained by TMZ -- reads, "With heartfelt gratitude, the Houston Family requests the honor of your presence at the home going service for Whitney Elizabeth Houston."

A "home going" service is more common in the black community and is usually more upbeat and positive than a typical funeral. The focus is to honor the deceased as they go "home" to Heaven to be with God.

As we previously reported, the ceremony at The New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ will be a very exclusive affair ... with a guest list hand-selected by Whitney's family.

The event will begin at 12:00 PM EST -- with several of Houston's famous friends expected to participate in the service ... including Kevin Costner, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/17/whitney-houston-funeral-invitation-photo/

I'm confused. If this is being streamed live on the internet, how is it a private funeral?

I am confused too. If it suppose to be private yet it will be on tv as well as online. I only say that because I have heard people say they didn't want the big "spectacle" that Michael had yet it's going to be on tv. I am not saying it should be it's just confusing.

The whole 'private' thing even though its gonna be televised does'nt seem to make any sense to me.

BTW......I keep seeing the world 'spectacle' used when describing MJ's funeral as opposed to Whitney's, but did they not realise that Michael had 2 funeral services, one privately held befoer the public memorial and sometime after a second one at Forest Lawns that was semi-private?

We can't pay any attention to them. MJ's public service was beautiful. They will find a way to bash Michael no matter what.

Feb 17, 2012 4:57pm

Whitney Houston’s Early Angst: ‘Not Black Enough,’ Mall Woes

While her tumultuous marriage, battles with substance abuse and finally, tragic death, tarnished Whitney Houston’s once golden reputation, the 1980s and early 1990s are still held up as Houston’s heyday — the era when Houston dominated the airwaves (and even one Super Bowl) with her unrivaled voice.

But even as she neared the peak of her success, Houston found super stardom rife with painful challenges, her longtime friend, gospel singer BeBe Winans, told “20/20.”

Houston, Winans said, was hurt that some argued her music wasn’t “black enough.”

“They’re saying I’m not black enough. I’m selling out,” Houston would say tearfully, Winans remembered.

Like other stars, Houston also missed being able to go out in public without being mobbed by crowds. One day, while in Detroit, “the girl from Jersey” — Houston is originally from Newark, N.J. — insisted she and friends go to a mall, despite warnings that it would be a bad idea.

“I said, ‘Whitney, you just can’t just go to the mall,’ [and she said], ‘Yes, I can,” Winans said. “We go to the mall and [after] about five minutes at the mall, there was a train following us. ”

“That troubled her because she didn’t want to live a double life,” he said. “She wanted to be that Jersey girl. And she fought to be her.”

Watch the full story on “One Moment in Time: The Life of Whitney Houston,” a two-hour “20/20″ special tonight at 10 p.m. ET.

SHOWS: 20/20
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...stons-early-angst-not-black-enough-mall-woes/

I remember when this happened and Whitney got booed at the BET awards. I remember not understanding this as a AA myself and it upset me. Shortly after this she hooked up with Bobby Brown.

For being white-washed according to the black community (whatever that means). I guess being classy is a bad thing? Sort of insulting when you think about it.

It is insulting. She must have felt terrible. You try to make people happy with your music. They should have been proud that her music was reaching a broader audience. Therefore opening the doors for other singers too. She and Michael dealt with a lot of crap.

I remember Faith Hill people were saying she wasn't country anymore after she was getting more successful above just country community. When one person can break through it benefits others too.

I remember that like it was yesterday. It was around the late 1980's-early 1990's at the Soul Train Awards. Whitney Houston was either nominated or she won...but when her name was announced, she was booed VERY LOUDLY!! She was ruling the 1980's as the top female artist ever.

During that period of time there were people who had a problem with her. Some were tired of seeing her win awards all the time and then there were others who felt she catered to the White audience too much because she crossed over and because her songs/singing were "too White"; "too pop"; "not Black enough". One of my sisters didn't like Whitney and I used to ask her "Why?" and she would say with an attitude "I just don't like her." or "I'm tired of her." Didn't make any sense to me at all. And this was before her marriage to Bobby Brown, the Bodyguard movie and everything else that came later.

I hate to say it; but I'm going to be honest here. Whitney's first taste of public backlash was not from the White audience---but from some of her own people within the African American audience and media. And that can hurt when some of your own people dislike you for no legitimate reason other than petty jealousy and insecurity. Sometimes it can make a person feel they have to 'prove' their 'Blackness". Alot of African-American artists, including our Michael Jackson, goes through that when they cross over.

I have to say Michael memorial was lovely.

and as for Whitney being booed etc that must of been horrible for her.

Whitney Houston Funeral (Today at 11:30 AM ET/12 PM ET)

It will be live tomorrow online & TV (Centric, CNN, etc.) at 11:30 AM/12 PM. It will be broadcast live on Sirius XM Radio.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/18/us-whitneyhouston-idUSTRE81D16L20120218

r

By Christine Kearney

NEW YORK | Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58pm EST

(Reuters) - A star-studded lineup will sing and speak at pop star Whitney Houston's funeral, from Alicia Keys and Kevin Costner to the soul and gospel music royalty from which she hails, including her cousin Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin.

Houston will be laid to rest on Saturday after an invitation-only memorial service at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey, where Houston groomed her voice singing in the church choir with her mother Cissy Houston, a soul and gospel singer who once backed up Franklin.

The singer, who rose to fame with a soaring voice and hits in the mid-1980s such as "Saving All My Love For You," died in a Beverly Hills hotel room almost a week ago on the eve of the music industry's Grammy Awards. She was found underwater in her hotel room's bathtub. A cause of death has yet to be determined.

Along with her signature song, "I Will Always Love You," her other hits included "I Wanna Dance with Somebody," and she starred in movies "The Bodyguard" and "The Preacher's Wife."

Other top names taking part in the service include Houston's mentor and record producer Clive Davis, singer Stevie Wonder and Hollywood actor and producer Tyler Perry, who donated his plane to fly her body from Los Angeles to Newark earlier this week.

Elton John, Beyonce and rapper Jay-Z, Oprah Winfrey and Bill Cosby are also expected to attend, according to reports.

It is not yet known if singer Bobby Brown, who Houston divorced in 2007 after a tumultuous 15-year marriage that began as Houston's music career began to slide, will be there. The couple have a daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, 18, who was in Los Angeles when her mother died.

The death of the beloved pop star who had a long history of addiction to alcohol and cocaine stunned the music world, her family and fans, and some of those close to her have publicly said they thought Houston had been getting healthier.

FRANKLIN DEVASTATED

Franklin, 69, told the "Today" morning news show on Friday that she thought Houston was on the road to a comeback after seeing some of the previews for "The Bodyguard" star's final film "Sparkle" to be released later this year.

"She looked gorgeous and I thought 'Yes, she has conquered her challenges and she is on the way'," Franklin said, before adding that she did not know what song she would sing at the funeral, but "It's not going to be easy."

Franklin said she imagined Houston's inability to hit some notes in "I Will Always Love You" on her last world tour in 2010 and a poor reception by some critics and audiences would have upset the fragile yet strong-willed singer.

"The audience was very rude but she stood there with the heart of a champion, night after night," Franklin said. "She had to be totally devastated. When you are a singer and you can't sing what it is you want to sing and she had some problems in her highest range, it is very disheartening."

Other singers confirmed to perform or speak are American gospel singers Donnie McClurkin, Kim Burrell, CeCe Winans, musical director Rickey Minor and gospel singer and pastor Marvin Winans, a family spokeswoman said.

Costner, who starred opposite Houston in "The Bodyguard," will speak as part of the official program, the spokesman said.

Houston's close friend, singer and producer Ray J, 31, said in a statement on Friday, "The world lost an icon but I lost my close friend ... Your smile will live in my heart forever."

Police plan to lock down the streets near Saturday's private funeral and have said there will be no procession from the funeral home she is resting in to the church. They have urged the thousands of fans expected to crowd the area to stay home and watch the funeral which will be broadcast live.

On Friday, flowers, candles, cards and balloons hung outside the funeral home, church and her old elementary school that was renamed after was closed. Small shrines dedicated to the singer dotting the school.

Such has been the outpouring of emotion that in Los Angeles, two radio personalities of KFI AM 640 station's "The John and Ken Show" -- have been suspended after making disparaging comments and jokes about Houston and her drug problems.

Re: Whitney Houston Funeral (Today at 11:30 AM ET/12 PM ET)

OK y'all this is sad. :(

Nippy's family arriving for a private wake earlier today:

Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother:
e5827d6f90.jpg

Dionne Warwick, Whitney's cousin:

bb47d08f27.jpg

Bobbi K, Whitney's daughter:

f81fa8580b.jpg

Re: Whitney Houston Funeral (Today at 11:30 AM ET/12 PM ET)

I hope her daughter will be okay...

I've got CNN on now. It's nice to see Newark, New Jersey get some positive attention for a change instead of the usual news about crime and violence...not that this is a positive event, it's sad but it's not about crime and violence.

Back