Who wishes Michael recorded a slow version ('88 Grammys style) of The Way You Make Me Feel?

AgentMJ

Proud Member
Random thought but am I the only one who secretly wishes Michael recorded a slow version of TWYMMF, in the same style to the intro from the 88 Grammys performance? I can only imagine it, in my dreams..... :listeningtomusic

Best vocal performance of the intro is during the This is It Rehearsals, by far! maybe he did record it? who knows.. i'd love a raw vocal cut though, his voice so powerful.. wow!

30th Anniversary was great also..

Well, the grammys TWYMMF was playback, so somewhere a recording exists.

Me too! Everytime I see that I think that :)

I have an mp3 of MITM from Grammy's but not TWYMMF unfortunately, would love that.

A recording might actually exist. If I'm not mistaken from what I read, Brad played it at one of his seminars.
Yeah, he plays the studio version at his seminars. It was recorded specifically for the Grammy performance though, in a makeshift studio in a hotel room, so only the intro was recorded - there is not take of MJ singing the entire song laying around (sadly!)

Yeah, he plays the studio version at his seminars. It was recorded specifically for the Grammy performance though, in a makeshift studio in a hotel room, so only the intro was recorded - there is not take of MJ singing the entire song laying around (sadly!)

:(

Shame, anyway I would love a HQ version of the song with the intro at the beginning, I always thought they could've done something like that for the immortal soundtrack at least.... (not complaining, just saying)

So nice to hear this. When I saw TII for the first time and he started singing like this I thought the whole of TWYMMF was going to be like this. I never saw the Grammy's since I don't watch award shows. Ngl, I was gutted when he went into the 'normal' version. It was fine, nothing wrong with it, the staging was great but I just think a full slow version would have been so awesome.

Really suits his voice, has a sort of torch song, jazzy feel to it. I just love it. I would have loved to hear more 'alternative' arrangements like this one.

It's been confirmed he sang and recorded the full song in a slower tempo... Likely what is used in the live version we've heard.

When was this confirmed and by who? Amazing if true
In 'In the Studio', They stated that Michael wanted to record a slower version for the grammys and recorded it in a portable studio built on the tour bus in Pensacola. They put mattresses against the walls enclose sound,.

Last edited:
In 'In the Studio', They stated that Michael wanted to record a slower version for the Bad tour and recorded it in a portable studio built on the tour bus in Pensacola. They put mattresses against the walls enclose sound,.
They said he recorded the full song?

They said he recorded the full song?
Correction - it was for the Grammy's. The Bad tour reference was being g in Pensacola, I just checked notes. Now that I'm reading them, it doesn't say specifically "a full version" but "a slowed version completed." That could technically mean the portion for the grammys completed but I'd personally intemperate that as a the full song.

Take from it what you can.

double post.

Last edited:
Correction - it was for the Grammy's. The Bad tour reference was being g in Pensacola, I just checked notes. Now that I'm reading them, it doesn't say specifically "a full version" but "a slowed version completed." That could technically mean the portion for the grammys completed but I'd personally intemperate that as a the full song.

Take from it what you can.
I reckon Brad would have played the full song in his seminars if it existed.

I reckon Brad would have played the full song in his seminars if it existed.
He didn't play any portion of the song. At least in this one.

He played:

Throwing Your Life Away
Smooth Criminal - in its original key
Speed Demon - slower version
Faces
Family Thing
Someone Put Your Handout - early demo
Chicago 1945
Change The World - demo with someone else's voice
I can't Help It - demo
Stranger In Moscow - Vocal & guitar version

He played:

Throwing Your Life Away
Faces
Family Thing
Chicago 1945
I can't Help It - demo
I know it's off topic but what was Smooth Criminal like in the original key?

I love the slow version of TWYMMF, it's just ridiculously cool and then when he performed it live at the grammys, it was somehow even cooler. I think that's the most swag MJ has ever had performing live, it was effortless

I love the slow version of TWYMMF, it's just ridiculously cool and then when he performed it live at the grammys, it was somehow even cooler. I think that's the most swag MJ has ever had performing live, it was effortless
I believe the original would have been around half a step lower than the version on the album.

I believe the original would have been around half a step lower than the version on the album.
Wow really? I'm not musically inclined to be honest, I'm assuming it would have sounded close to MSG 88? Like MJ's deeper live voice?

This what I loved about the TII performance of this. It wasn't just that his voice sounded amazing, that this arrangement really suited his voice, that the whole thing was fan - feckin' - tastic. It was the swag, as you say. In his physicality but also in his voice, in his phrasing. The whole thing. Blew me away.

He played:

Throwing Your Life Away
Faces
Family Thing
Chicago 1945
I can't Help It - demo
Ok you can't do this because now I'm going to nag you about it

Tell me more about speed demon, I can't help it and stranger in Moscow. How did these sound, how different were the arrangements etc

Wow really? I'm not musically inclined to be honest, I'm assuming it would have sounded close to MSG 88? Like MJ's deeper live voice?
It would have been close to the way it was played during all of the tours, as far as pitch is concerned. The tempo would have been slightly slower, though.

This is a good reproduction of how the original would have sounded before they speeded it up.

Edit: It is important to point out that this channel has posted the 'original recording speed' version for all 11 tracks on the Bad album, however, in reality not all tracks were sped up before the release of the album. Only the dance tracks were, which would mean that ballads like Liberian Girl or Man In The Mirror were not sped up.

Last edited:
Omer Bhatti in 2018, showed pics of a "The Way You Make Me Feel" slow intro CD, the dates are labeled "September 1st 2001" (30th anni)
urNc5lV.png

Back