Why didn't MJ release "Unbreakable" first??

There were seven singles and videos that Michael wanted to release from Invincible. Initially, Mike wanted to release Unbreakable as the debut single from the album, partnered with a 20 minute short film. BUT Sony wanted Mike to release You Rock My World instead of "Unbreakable" due to shorter production time for the video and money.

Once Sony kept pulling these type of things CHEAPING Mike out, he told SOny he will not resign with Sony. Did all those ANTI SONY demonstrations. THEN SONY PULLED EVERYTHING.

This is a major part of why the album did not sell as well as Mike wanted.

Well that and the fact it was released less than a month after 9/11. The world for the first time put ENTERTAINMENT on holt.

I think that CD was very underrated - it was great. Loved a lot of songs off that album. I am just disappointed it didn't go any further. "Unbreakable" should have been the first one released....I liked "YRMW" but "Unbreakable" was way better....I hope he can re-release this - put it on the radio. Put Justin Timberlake in his PLACE...in line!! BEHIND MICHAEL JACKSON!! LOL!

"Unbreakable" is everythting Michael is. It has the same type of flavour as "typicaly MJ" tracks like "Another part of me", "Jam", "Scream" and "Dangerous". You can just hear by the beat that the performance would be killer and not as slow paced as "You rock my World".It would alsoo be a great opening song at a concert. I even worked out a whole dance routine of that song in my head when I first heard it:lol:. I feel "You rock my World", would have been a great second single though.

I wish Invincible would have been plotted out the way MICHAEL wanted it.. Just imagine if all that Mike wanted turned out.

I agree wid ya KOPV - it's sad the way Sony handled it. Some days I wish Michael had HIS OWN record label...

well according to Akon, MJ's done with record companies and is putting out his stuff the way he wants to. So I'm really excited about that.

that was a big mistake.YRMW is a very nice song but not as a first single!

well according to Akon, MJ's done with record companies and is putting out his stuff the way he wants to. So I'm really excited about that.

That is good!! Who else but the ARTIST HIMSELF would know what is a good lead in song to the rest of the album! You want something that ROCKS - that is FUNKY...that people can learn to sing to very quickly....something that is so good, they want to buy the rest of the album. I know videos accompany that, but really, you have to think about the music first. And "Unbreakable" was the one to go with with Vince. No question. If they had released that song, along with a TONED DOWN video - something that wouldn't have cost too much to produce, Vince would have been unstoppable. It is a very good album...

I understand why Mike would not want a record label. But I personally think he should.. REASON?? Because MORE $$$. If he releases the album by himself, he'll have to finance it himself. That's (promotion/performances/album/EVERYTHING)

I think Michael should make a deal with a record label, for only THIS album. And the contract would state, if this album sells at least X amount of records, and brings in X amount of $$$ as a whole than Michael will do an X amount of records with them..

That way, it would drive the label to do THERE BEST to get that album out there.. They'll do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to get MICHAEL JACKSON on their label.. And it will get Michaels 'comeback' album to be huge.

They both win

Couldn't he try to get a deal with Zomba? They seem to be on the ball with regards to the artists they represent...

just my two cents but Unbreakable is not first or 2nd single worthy IMO. a video on a Dvd compilation with concept i could see,but Butterflies, break of dawn and whatever happens are all better single and video choices before unbreakable IMO.

at this stage of MJ's career what is a major label gonna do for him again? i mean he is not gonna get the same budget and pushes as he had back in the day. a record where he controls all aspects and can select what he wants is a Smart move at this point. after what MJ went through at Motown and Sony I can see why he doesn't want to touch a major again.

I also agree that 911 had a MAJOR part in that album
not doing as well as it should - people at that time
were NOT interested in buying anything - everthing
was put on hold - people were holding on to what
they had - more or less getting ready for the end
It was a very scary time for many .. and music was
not the top of thier list .. at that time - by time
everything returned to normal - (well nothing has
been normal since then) The hype had died down

But That album did great compared to others
people keep trying to compare it to the sales
of thriller or past album - You cant do that
Its a different world and Industry now and the
Interent has certainly changed _everything in
the way music is sold and promoted ..

I believe Invincible is over 10 Million now
and that is awesome by todays standards

I would bet anyone that IF Michael was able to do all that he PLANNED for the album, it would have sold at LEAST 18 million..

BARE MINIMUM

I think MJ can do fine without the record company. I think personally it'll put MJ's creativity to a challenge. And I have faith MJ can work with what he has to put out something...maybe less spectacular, and possibly more chill and laid back as far as videos go...but MJ has so much talent that he can DO that (as akon said). ANd I have faith he can pull it off.

Can MJ sell himself enough to get back on the radio? It is a shame - the man didn't cause a lot of the trouble he's had to endure the past recent years...do you think that MJ can self-promote himself enough to even be heard on the radio? Do you foresee any problems with this - a record company that stands behind him may have more influence on getting his new stuff on the radio...

the radio would play him without him releasing it at all.. If it were leaked. They would play clips.. So if Michael released it OF CORSE.. He's not the only person that has thought about releasing an album without a record label.. PRINCE did it.

His album could sell well without a label, but he would have to do less in promotion. Less videos etc. Cuz it costs money to do that, and making everything out of pocket would be tough.. I think Mike should not SIGN with a label but make ties with a label to support it/promote it. as they both get benifits from it.

The reason why I asked was that I heard that the radio networks have their own political agenda. Many very good artists have been out in the cold because of the politics going on...I even think there's still a lot of payola out there. I just hope that he can get back on the radio with no problem. Hell, I'll even buy Sirius just to hear his new stuff...!

Michael will get airplay.. Don't worry.. He'll get airplay in ways he does not want to.. Sneak peaks at 'the next single' etc..

record labels usually ask the radio stations to buy the capability to play a musicians songs.. In SOME cases, RARE cases. The stations goes after the musicans music.. Michael is one of those rare cases.

YES, I think Unbreakable is my favorite song off of INVINCIBLE. By far if that were really the first planned single to be let out then SHAME ON SONY! Michael needs his own damn label...humph! Mike, do what you do best iight?

He didn't release it first because it's not a good song. Sorry, I don't like it at all. YRMW was the perfect choice for the first single I think,

^^ lol! MICHAEL WANTED UNBREAKABLE TO BE HIS FIRST SINGLE.. SO that is not why.. ha ha!! He planned to release the single with a 20 minute short mini movie. Read my first post I did on the thread

^^ lol! MICHAEL WANTED UNBREAKABLE TO BE HIS FIRST SINGLE.. SO that is not why.. ha ha!! He planned to release the single with a 20 minute short mini movie. Read my first post I did on the thread

Could this still happen even now? Every time I hear that song, I love it even more!

I have this visual of the accompanying music video. You got Mike, dancing up the aisles of his neighborhood K-Mart. He comes across a display of little mannekins. You've got miniatures of Tom Sneddon, Martin Bashir, the Arvizo family, the Chandler family...etc. He takes each one in his hand and sings to them...then puts them back down into their display. At the end he puts a sign on the display "On Sale!! Special Discount!" on them....either that or you got Mike dancing on a stage...then going out into the street...knocking down look-alike plastic replicas of Sneddon, Chandler, Arvizo (the mother - who's dressed like a bag lady! LOL!), and Martin Bashier - who's dressed up like a street bum!! How about that? Think that'd fly?? LOL!!

Okay I read your post, but in the end Michael still went along with it and decided to release "Your Rock My World" first which was a good idea. There is no way "Unbreakable" would have done as well as YRMW. It just doesn't have mainstream appeal. YRMW was the perfect choice for a lead single.

He went with it because of SONY, not his choice.

To linda - Yes it COULD happen but it would never happen.. Videos, concerts, etc.. Are all PROMOTION for an album. To release promotion for an album via music video etc. 6 years after it's release has never been done.. Not in a real major way, as in new filming etc.. Only video montage. etc.

michael is planning and working for his NEXT album, meaning his next videos etc. will be from his new album, not his last..

But like you, I would have LOVED to see that go through.

I have this visual of the accompanying music video. You got Mike, dancing up the aisles of his neighborhood K-Mart. He comes across a display of little mannekins. You've got miniatures of Tom Sneddon, Martin Bashir, the Arvizo family, the Chandler family...etc. He takes each one in his hand and sings to them...then puts them back down into their display. At the end he puts a sign on the display "On Sale!! Special Discount!" on them....either that or you got Mike dancing on a stage...then going out into the street...knocking down look-alike plastic replicas of Sneddon, Chandler, Arvizo (the mother - who's dressed like a bag lady! LOL!), and Martin Bashier - who's dressed up like a street bum!! How about that? Think that'd fly?? LOL!!

I'm sry but....:rollin:

When i read mj dancing through K mart aisles....that killed it :lol:

Invincible has so many beautiful songs that should have made the charts. Shame on Sony.

Back