Xscape chart positions. (incl. singles)

Haha, i thought that too. :lol:

You know it is possibility. Record labels knows about how many copies they need to sell in order to get no 1 album, so those losers went and spend their own money for no 1 position. They dropped in all other countries charts too, last week UK chart no 2, now 6 and Xscape still second after Goldplay.

Catching up in this thread....

Was Billboard bombarded with emails? I thank everyone who has contacted Billboard.

Was Estate/Sony bombarded with emails? Their statement celebrates being number two? Not one word that addresses their unwise (and lazy) decision to freely distribute 9K Xscape copies?

Agreed. I spoke with my U.S. friend. She said she heard LNFSG on a R/B radio format that she prefers but, did not see what she called "street promotion" for Xscape: billboards, ads on yellow taxi-cabs, mass transit buses, subways, etc.

It is so unfortunate because there is only one opportunity to debut at number one. I do not want to assume that Sony offices outside of U.S. are more adept at securing a number one spot for their artists than Sony office in the U.S. The routine steps to do so are not trade secrets and the rules of official charts are not secrets to these executives either.

If the U.S. is the biggest market that should be the region where Sony does their very best to get their artist the number one spot. It is simple laziness.

There is no need to contact Billboard or the Estate. You can all you want, but it will not change anything. It has been said in here 100 different times now: The 9,000 copies were not purchased. They were given away. Nielson Soundscan (how Billboard collects its data) does not count CDs that are given away, only ones that are actually purchased.

Ticket price had nothing to do with the CD.

The CD was in the gift shop and given away, for free, with any $20 gift shop purchase.

Do I have a source for this? No. To me, it is just common sense because a similar tactic did work for Madonna. I do not believe there is any conspiracy here, or any double standards. I think it was just a goof on Sony's part. I think they were probably thinking more about promoting the CD than chart numbers. Had they been thinking about getting the CD on the charts, they would have charged people for it.

/soapbox.

That being said, Tygger, I do agree with you that, with the US being the largest market, they should have put more into promoting the album here. They did a lot, do no get me wrong, and I think they did a great job with what they did. But like you said, no Billboards, no ads (other than occasionally one popping up in Times Square), no street promotion whatsoever. Mainly just some TV spots and the rest was word-of-mouth advertising.

Do I have a source for this? No. To me, it is just common sense because a similar tactic did work for Madonna. I do not believe there is any conspiracy here, or any double standards. I think it was just a goof on Sony's part. I think they were probably thinking more about promoting the CD than chart numbers. Had they been thinking about getting the CD on the charts, they would have charged people for it.

This is a your supposition. We need explanations because at the moment, it looks that Billboard used double standards. It is inconceivable that for Madonna those copies "sold" with the same methodology were counted, while for MJ is not happened.

I think the next single can wait some time. They should promote LNFSG further to make it number 1 and the sommer-hit worldwide.

Word!
Work the charts like they did to Rihana & Katy Perry.

Not only does LNFSG grabs number one spot, but let it simmer for 3 weeks or so
before the next singles release .
Re-hash the STTR billboard performance, create more buzz with it's news
being the BEST peformance on Billboard this decade YET. Milk it for all it's worth"...
and while they're still at it,
they should really get This HighSchool Bille Jean guy to appear on Ellen De Generes for a 2- for- one, BJ & STTR.

And.....
Whoever who did this air-play machinery
Click on this link http://rihannadaily.com/www/request/
click on any radio station
check the box for LNFSG
Type your first name
submit - DONE
is so darn cool.

...I do agree with you that, with the US being the largest market, they should have put more into promoting the album here. They did a lot, do no get me wrong, and I think they did a great job with what they did. But like you said, no Billboards, no ads (other than occasionally one popping up in Times Square), no street promotion whatsoever. Mainly just some TV spots and the rest was word-of-mouth advertising.

Unless the ship has already sailed, there's still a fighting chance
to get Xscape to number one...
Xscape has not peaked yet ! Ya'll!

Forget the Cold Play week,

There's no letting up on Xscape being number one,
if they prefer downloads to physical copies, SO BE IT!
There's no telling what fans can do.

REPEAT the purchases 3 times, 4 times
Bring it on!..... Max it to what Petrarose did.
Kudos to Sony & the MJ Estate on promo effort
but Sony botched the charting aspect somewhat.

Call it Underestimation, unmatched expectation, what naught,
Not only do we want longevity,
we also want a number one charting in the U.S. that stays 3 weeks least..

I really want to know what happened with the 9K albums. AND let's point out that even if an artist makes it to No. 1 it doesn't always help their sales or marketing, look at what happened to Madonna.

Exactly. A #1 debut does not a successful album make. Madonna's album is considered a massive flop. And she still holds the record for the biggest drop in history in the second week:

Madonna's 'MDNA' Officially Posts Biggest Second-Week Percentage Drop Ever For No. 1-Debuting Album | Billboard

And Lady Gaga's Born This Way is in second place for a biggest drop after her deal with Amazon offering her album for 0.99c. So this type of bundles/discount deals are not always a good thing for the album.

It is so unfortunate because there is only one opportunity to debut at number one.

Sure, but albums can still go to #1 even if they didn't debut on top. There are many examples. I'm not saying this will happen with Xscape, but who knows...... maybe a single will blow up and send it on top. All I'm saying is.... It ain't over, til it's over.

This is a your supposition. We need explanations because at the moment, it looks that Billboard used double standards. It is inconceivable that for Madonna those copies "sold" with the same methodology were counted, while for MJ is not happened.

The Madonna thing was a little different. People who bought tickets for her tour were given a code and with it they could download (if they wanted to) the album, because apparently its price was included in the ticket price. I find it strange, because what if people didn't want to buy the album? They were basically forced to pay for it with the ticket.

With MJ, folks who made a $20 purchase were given the CD for free.

Media Traffic should be releasing their updated album and single sales very soon. I'm hoping MJ is #1 as the new numbers will have the US sales with the UK sales, as well as the other major music markets. I'm predicting Xscape will have sold 250-275k globally in it's first week (based on the countries Media Traffic gets their infor from).

#1 in the US would have been nice, but longevity and overall sales are more important. I mean the Black Keys might have their #1 but based on projections it seems that this week Xscape will already overtake them on overall sales. And let's hope the singles will give it a nice run and healthy sales overall. I just hope the sales will be enough for Sony to conclude it's worth for them to keep releasing MJ stuff.

M. JACKSON & J. TIMBERLAKE – Love Never Felt So Good: 37.248 (+ 0.125)

Weak increase today.

Spyce, I thank everyone who contacted Billboard. I understand their petition would not change Michael’s position however; I have gratitude for their effort.

The tactic Madonna used is not a trade secret and it was not the first time it was used. Prince did a similar tactic with his Musicology tour. Estate/Sony was fully aware 9K issues of Xscape distributed for free would not affect Michael’s charting and performed the foolish act anyway. Anyone who contacted Estate/Sony regarding that had every right to. The Estate responded it is grand to be number two.

By the way, my U.S. friend has yet to see the Times Square ad.

Serendipity, there is only ONE opportunity for a cd to DEBUT at number one and it is up to the record label to do their job to secure it. That opportunity has passed. Whatever happens to Xscape in the future, Estate/Sony is accountable for the decision to let 9K copies be distributed for free with full knowledge those copies would not chart. Similar unexplainable actions happened with the release of Bad25. Ever wonder how many deluxe collector’s editions and Spike Lee documentary dvds sold from MyPlay Direct? We can be thankful Xscape copies were not purchased through MyPlay Direct or it would have charted much lower.

I think LNFSG needs a LOT more radio play and really milk it for the summer. I'd rather have longevity than the record for the biggest drop.
I think the album will work its way up to no. 1.
I saw an interview with Pharrell and he said "Happy" did nothing here even when "Rio" came out. Then it went to Europe became a huge hit and after that exploded over here. Six months later.

Last edited:
Media Traffic should be releasing their updated album and single sales very soon. I'm hoping MJ is #1 as the new numbers will have the US sales with the UK sales, as well as the other major music markets. I'm predicting Xscape will have sold 250-275k globally in it's first week (based on the countries Media Traffic gets their infor from).

MJ IS at #1.

I agree that it is too soon to release a second single... The other has just been out for a couple weeks... They have I spread it out if we are looking for long gevity or te album... Chart position is one thing, total sales is another.. Down the road chart position means something but not like when people look bac and see away am album sold..

UK MIDWEEK

Albums

1 Coldplay - Ghost Stories *
2 Michael Jackson - Xscape
3 Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott - What Have We Become *
4 Oasis - Definitely Maybe ^
5 Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction

Plus:
Last week's Number 1 album in the UK; @michaeljackson's 2nd posthumous album 'Xscape', has also gone Silver this week #BPIawards #MJFam

Silver = 60k

Xscape Peak Chart Positions

UK #1
France #1
Spain #1
Denmark #1
Belgium (Flanders) #1
Belgium (Wallonia) #1
South Korea #6 (Deluxe Edition) / #9 (Standard Edition)
South Korea Foreign #1 (Deluxe Edition) / #4 (Standard Edition)
Russia #1 (Weekly iTunes albums chart by Lenta.ru)
Israel #1 (musicaneto)
US #2
Germany #2
Austria #2
Switzerland #2
Italy #2
Netherlands #2
Norway #2
Canada #3
Australia #3
Sweden #3
Scotland #3
Ireland #4
Poland #4
New Zealand #5
Hungary #7
Greece #9
Czech Republic #10

Mexico #1 (still not confirmed)

UK MIDWEEK

Albums

1 Coldplay - Ghost Stories *
2 Michael Jackson - Xscape
3 Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott - What Have We Become *
4 Oasis - Definitely Maybe ^
5 Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction

Plus:

Silver = 60k

Shit keys were 2, and now are nowhere to be seen.

well thanks for in lighting me everyone on the singles situation. didn't know it would be to soon for another single to be released.

Last edited:
The Madonna thing was a little different. People who bought tickets for her tour were given a code and with it they could download (if they wanted to) the album, because apparently its price was included in the ticket price. I find it strange, because what if people didn't want to buy the album? They were basically forced to pay for it with the ticket.

With MJ, folks who made a $20 purchase were given the CD for free.

So what will happen with the albums that are included with the Xperia phone? People will get them for free, but they have to download them, so will the downloaded albums count?

Why is no-one celebrating the fact that LNFSG is now top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 (number 9)? MJ's biggest US chart entry since YANA in 1995.

Will some of you guys chill about those 9K that weren't counted? I mean, it's one thing if Billboard unfairly kept them out, but calling out the Estate stupid is another. It's not always about the charts and numbers, is it? I think it's great more people were exposed to Xscape...

Now, I think if Madonna's copies were counted then it's very unfair, but do we have enough details to contact the Billboard? Are we certain those 9K copies should've been considered in this week's sales?

InvincibleTal, Billboard does not consider free copies. Madonna's copies were purchased through her ticket price allowing her cd to chart where Xscape was handed out at free of charge. Those 9K copies could have changed Michael's charting position for Xscape's debut but, Estate/Sony dismissed that reasoning. One can label that however they wish.

One does label anything the estate and Sony do however they wish... As I said - to me not everything is about sales and nobody said those 9000 people would have bought Xscape anyway. I'd be upset if it was unfair copies count. If it's fair then ok.

InvincibleTal, Billboard does not consider free copies. Madonna's copies were purchased through her ticket price allowing her cd to chart where Xscape was handed out at free of charge.

Well if you have to buy 20$ of merchandise to get it, it's not exactly free of charge. They might advertise it as a 20$ t-shirt plus a free copy of Xscape, but the reality is that when people buy it, they think "With my 20$, I'm buying a t-shirt and an album." Those people might not have paid 20$ just for the t-shirts if the album hadn't been included.

Etoile 37, no, the price for the t-shirt or whatever the ONE/Immortal merchandise was, was not inflated or reduced to receive the cd so yes, Xscape was distributed for free.

As I said - to me not everything is about sales and nobody said those 9000 people would have bought Xscape anyway.

Exactly and now, they have it for free. Wise choice? Not for me but, I understand others feel differently. If it is not about charting, we all should have Xscape for free.

Why is no-one celebrating the fact that LNFSG is now top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 (number 9)? MJ's biggest US chart entry since YANA in 1995.

I'm very happy about it. I really wanted MJ to get a top 10 hit, but wasn't sure if the song would make it. So when it happened I was like "Yes, get that top 10 hit, Mike!" LOL I'm hoping it will keep moving up, but even if it doesn't it's already a very successful song!

Will some of you guys chill about those 9K that weren't counted? I mean, it's one thing if Billboard unfairly kept them out, but calling out the Estate stupid is another. It's not always about the charts and numbers, is it? I think it's great more people were exposed to Xscape...

Now, I think if Madonna's copies were counted then it's very unfair, but do we have enough details to contact the Billboard? Are we certain those 9K copies should've been considered in this week's sales?

We stopped talking about it yesterday. Maybe someone brought it back up to put a downer on the thread. The estate knows when to release the next single and how to do the marketing. Some are doing the same thing here they did in the general thread, where there were harsh words about Sony and the Estate because there was no promotion in early spring. Then there was massive promotion which worked out well, but no one apologized for their hash words. Let's not do the same thing in this thread and wait for the new promotions that are to come. We don't know that US people did not buy more because of limited marketing.

I hope the people who spread all this negative information about the BB illusion all over the internet, now realize how much of an impact it had on generating more sales for Michael globally.

I went to Best Buy today and saw they restocked on the Deluxe. There were no standards. The good news is that more people can buy and we can have more sales for Michael. I want him to keep his global dominance!!

Weren't those certain boycotters supposed to buy Invincible instead of Xscape and why their effort is not seen on that list:)

Aren't those ppl against Sony? Well if that is the case they should boycott every album from MJ since all his catalogue comes from Sony- :doh:

Back