Your Most Desired MJ Concert Releases

One that comes to mind is the very first performance of 'Startin' Somthin' at the BudFest in '82

I'm almost done with concerts, but I would die to see One Night Only rehearsals and Michael's last performance at Apollo 2002.

Seems like a solid release would be the Victory Tour. The estate is definitely keen to remember the Thriller era, and I'm sure some quality prints exist of at least one of the concerts from that tour (Toronto seems like a likely choice).

One that comes to mind is the very first performance of 'Startin' Somthin' at the BudFest in '82

Are you sure about that? Budweiser superfest in 82 took place in August and Michael was still recording and mixing Thriller at that point.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Budweiser superfest in 82 took place in August and Michael was still recording and mixing Thriller at that point.

Thanks! Maybe it was '83 then? I'm new here, so I don't think I can post videos just yet. All I know is that he was wearing the same blue jacket from the James Brown concert. It took place during the day, and Marlon and some other female singers provided back up vocals. I heard that he did another song as well. It might have been 'It's The Falling In Love'. Either way I'd love to see it! Along with...

The rumoured promo for 'Heartbreak Hotel' where The Jacksons are performing by a swimming pool.

Plus, the live re-enactment of the Pepsi Commercial in '84 with Alfonso Ribeiro. I've seen pictures of it - where Michael's wearing a white cowboy hat, but never any footage.

These may not be 'concerts', but they're still rare performances/appearances. Hope they count!

A Jackson's tour should be released. Whether it be Destiny, Triumph, or victory. That is something we haven't seen yet in full HQ, let alone HD.

Is there any proof that Smooth Criminal was sung live on Kansas City 1988? People say it was, but I've seen no proof of that.

The main proof would be that it was 1988 and just about the entire BAD Tour was sung live. The tempo was increased and the pitch lowered for on stage performances of most of the set list.

The main proof would be that it was 1988 and just about the entire BAD Tour was sung live. The tempo was increased and the pitch lowered for on stage performances of most of the set list.

Actully Smooth Criminal was lip-synced many times. Wembley for example.

I loved the HIStory Tour back in 96/97. I was there in Amsterdam and Bremen.
I like to see a BluRay from this Tour. And of course a BluRay from the second leg of the Bad Tour 88.

It's very difficult to sing and dance the way that Michael did, at the same time. That's not to say that he couldn't, there were plenty of times that he proved he could. Still, I imagine it was very strenuous. Miming allowed him to preserve his voice. I personally wouldn't want to hear him sound winded and gasping for air. Some of his most iconic performances did not involve live singing. Many either didn't notice or care. It was his showmanship and the overall spectacle that captivated audiences.

In fact, miming in general only became a scandal after Milli Vanilli got caught. That was only because it was someone else's vocals they were miming to. Any artist who has appeared on Soul Train, Top Of The Pops, American Bandstand, etc has done it. Sometimes they weren't even given microphones!

Having said that, I don't think Michael did it as much as some claim. I believe he had his reasons when he did.

It's very difficult to sing and dance the way that Michael did, at the same time. That's not to say that he couldn't, there were plenty of times that he proved he could. Still, I imagine it was very strenuous. Miming allowed him to preserve his voice. I personally wouldn't want to hear him sound winded and gasping for air. Some of his most iconic performances did not involve live singing. Many either didn't notice or care. It was his showmanship and the overall spectacle that captivated audiences.

In fact, miming in general only became a scandal after Milli Vanilli got caught. That was only because it was someone else's vocals they were miming to. Any artist who has appeared on Soul Train, Top Of The Pops, American Bandstand, etc has done it. Sometimes they weren't even given microphones!

Having said that, I don't think Michael did it as much as some claim. I believe he had his reasons when he did.

I don't think anyone here as a problem with some lip syncing. I think it becomes a problem for some people when every single song (Except 2) is lip synced on an entire show like the HIStory Tour. Dangerous Tour had a few lip synced songs, but it also had enough live singing to make up for it.

@analogue Michael had throat problems during that tour. That was very evident when he did 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. I think he did his best with the situation he was in.

@analogue Michael had throat problems during that tour. That was very evident when he did 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. I think he did his best with the situation he was in.

I'm aware of why he lip synced so much on the HIStory Tour. I think he should have waited for his voice to heal before going on tour. But I guess the show had to go on

lmao wtf? We know that many artists have mimed songs in TV shows, but there's a difference between that and miming 90% of a live concert. Nobody wants this show to be released. If you like it then you are free to watch any of the 20+ pro shot concerts on YouTube

The history tour is just something that doesn't need to be released. You can get it in HD, right here. Or watch on youtube. His earlier tours deserve releases instead HD or not. I don't understand the idea for Munich 97 to be released on 3D. It boggles my mind. Nobody asked for that.

I wasn't the one who brought up the 'History' tour. I never stated that I wanted it released. I simply explained why Michael mimed the majority of that tour, and why I personally, have no problem with miming in general. I find your tone and overall comment offensive.

Many look to the 'Bad' tour as the standard. Yet it's precisely around this time when Michel developed nodules on his vocal chords. That's a serious issue that affects many touring singers. Even Celine Dion suffered at some point - and she doesn't dance on top of that.

Yes, Michael sang 100% live on tour with his brothers prior to that. However, those tours didn't last as long as the ones he did later on. There's also a difference between putting oneself through such a rigorous routine as a child/young adult, and as a mature adult.

Human aren't machines. They weren't built to operate in such a way. Something had to give as time went on...

Despite that, I don't think Michael lost anything. On the contrary, the way he sang 'Human Nature' on the 'This Is It' rehearsals was the best I've ever heard him do it. The time away served him well, and helped to preserve his smooth voice.

I would love anything we haven't seen yet from the Bad, Victory or Triumph tours. Not very realistic, but right now my most desired release would be Brisbane '87 in its entirety (preferably in better quality of course). The 2nd leg of the Bad Tour seems to be everyone's favorite, but he was honestly in the best shape ever during the first leg, and Brisbane is one of the best shows from that leg imo. Hearing the audio from the second half I'm SURE it would be an absolute joy to watch. You can tell from the first half he feeds off of the crowd's reaction (lots of girls screaming, lol) and hearing the crowd at certain points in the 2nd half makes me wanna see it even more. The end of IJCSLY for instance, he sounds amazing.. and I'd love to see him sing with Stevie!
I heard the tape was found at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre somewhere and this is presumably all they've got but does anyone know why there's audio for the entire show but only video for part of it? I keep hearing the 2nd part simply does not exist..

I would love anything we haven't seen yet from the Bad, Victory or Triumph tours. Not very realistic, but right now my most desired release would be Brisbane '87 in its entirety (preferably in better quality of course). The 2nd leg of the Bad Tour seems to be everyone's favorite, but he was honestly in the best shape ever during the first leg, and Brisbane is one of the best shows from that leg imo. Hearing the audio from the second half I'm SURE it would be an absolute joy to watch. You can tell from the first half he feeds off of the crowd's reaction (lots of girls screaming, lol) and hearing the crowd at certain points in the 2nd half makes me wanna see it even more. The end of IJCSLY for instance, he sounds amazing.. and I'd love to see him sing with Stevie!
I heard the tape was found at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre somewhere and this is presumably all they've got but does anyone know why there's audio for the entire show but only video for part of it? I keep hearing the 2nd part simply does not exist..

Yeah man, the 87 concerts are my favorite shows ever. That was MJ at his peak imo

I would like to see the L.A. 1989 show, I read somewhere that it was scheduled for a home video release, but was shelved eventually.

Those snippets of that show on the ‘The One’ documentary and the 11 minutes that were leaked a couple of years ago. It’s mesmerizing. His voice was awesome and the moves were brilliant. Also the way he looked was cool at that show.

IMWhizzle;4206907 said:
I would like to see the L.A. 1989 show, I read somewhere that it was scheduled for a home video release, but was shelved eventually.

Those snippets of that show on the ‘The One’ documentary and the 11 minutes that were leaked a couple of years ago. It’s mesmerizing. His voice was awesome and the moves were brilliant. Also the way he looked was cool at that show.

Exactly, the snippets on The One prove that the Estate has the L.A 89 show in amazing quality, but what might be their excuse to not release it? the audio is damaged, poor, not multitrack, etc. I like the Wembley release, it is watchable, but releasing a VHS rip of that show is an insult to MJ the greatest entertainer of all time.

Exactly, the snippets on The One prove that the Estate has the L.A 89 show in amazing quality, but what might be their excuse to not release it? the audio is damaged, poor, not multitrack, etc. I like the Wembley release, it is watchable, but releasing a VHS rip of that show is an insult to MJ the greatest entertainer of all time.

You know what they really should do in my humble opinion? Release a Greatest Live performances, That way they can please a lot of fans and choose from Triumph, Victory, Bad, Dangerous and yes, History. They can carefully pick out the ones with great quality and great audio. Then later down the line they can release a full unedited show from one of his tour, preferably Triumph or Bad.

The reason why we have Brisbane audio in full, is because that is from an amateur recording. The estate definitely have full. The tape we have must be a vhs that didn't copy fully.
In my opinion, if the first leg was released I would choose either the opening night (black shirt), (red shirt) , or Brisbane.

Second leg, Aintree (shot on film)
Another Wembley date (maybe Wembley collection DVD) like Queen did.
Bad tour New York.
They must have good audio for NY because we be heard Dirty Diana and APOM. Big venue just like Wembley. (COMPLETELY LIVE setlist) need I say more? Lol
Victory tour
CHICAGO(on film)
N.Y. (he was on fire that night)
Another canadian date (Montreal) or Toronto different date
Any Triumph concert
Any destiny concert

No history tour.

I know this is bit of a cheat and not a fair answer butttt... I'd very much like to see the rehearsal for the 1995 HBO special!

I think the reason why most people prefer the second leg is because it had the better setlist.

Back