Your most relatable Michael songs--Discussion

Zee37

Proud Member
Hello everyone! Michael's songs are full of meaningful lyrics and messages--ones that many of us can relate to. What songs are most relatable to your life?

For me, it would be:

"Earth Song", as I am constantly worrying about humans' effect on the Earth
"Remember the Time"; I'm very nostalgic
"Unbreakable"; I always listen to it when I'm feeling defeated for some reason, and it's become a source of strength for me.

At the moment, I would pick Smile because of its message.

Privacy and Tabloid Junkie. I am constantly feeling harassed and intruded upon because of my fame, wealth and power.

Privacy and Tabloid Junkie. I am constantly feeling harassed and intruded upon because of my fame, wealth and power.

Oh, so I gather same as I, you also have a most special connection and attachment to Somebody's watching me, right? LOL You cheeky thing you, always gotta get that sarcasm out, dontcha? You really are one funny character, bless you :)

Zee, I think it's lovely that you relate so much to Earth Song. The planet is our home and we all have the responsibility to cherish it. We are merely its custodians, not its masters. Future generations ought to be able to enjoy its beauty and diversity. RTT is a really awesome tune. It speaks a lot to me as well. Not sure I feel quite as Unbreakable as Michael though. I am afraid I am not just breakable, but downright frail myself, in a bit too many ways to count or to explain.

Erandi, sorry to hear you "enjoy" Smile so much. In my book that can only mean that you aren't going through an exactly marvelous time. I actually believe it's better to express one's feelings (however "negative" they may be), rather than put on false masks of happiness. So I say,.....if you don't feel like smiling and them clouds won't just fly away from your skies, cry it all out and wait for genuine reasons to smile. Sorry if my grand recipe for self-expression doesn't work for ya :p The song is beautiful though and Michael's voice and the little whistle is magical.

For myself, I would have to choose about three songs, in general terms I guess I relate a bit too much for my own good to Little Susie and Be not always, while in specific ones Butterflies is a favorite tune of mine these days. It's always been, but now it's even more special.

For me it's Dirty Diana because of the groupies I am constantly chased by.

For me it's Dirty Diana because of the groupies I am constantly chased by.

LOL you forgot Billie Jean and Dangerous from the same register.

You guys really are hilarious, bless your funny hearts.

"Money". Also certain lines from "Scream." I have the urge to quote them often lately.

Mmmm. Give In To Me or Who Is It. Girls are heartbreakers ;)

Don't mean to go O/T, but I just have to. I'm sorry my friend, but that statement right there is a bit too general for the incipient feminist in me :p Surely you must've meant Girls can be heartbreakers or Certain girls.......but definitely not all of us. Obviously you are not aware of the wideeee diversity which makes up female kind.

d802bed4c4ccc3e771f1aeddc93c761b.jpg

It all depends on the kind of girls you've dealt with so far; and not only that, but also this.....

cute_love_quotes_for_him_3.jpg
:cheeky:

"Money". Also certain lines from "Scream." I have the urge to quote them often lately.
I thought this would be the easiest question-but the more I thought about it, I couldn't think of any-so many of the songs are written/sung from a male point of view-as you all said-even though it was funny-I don't have power, fame, people throwing themselves at me for the night at a club, etc. I somewhat relate to his "girl" part in "Human Nature" with the plaintive "Whyyyyyyyyyyyy" because of past heartbreak.

Personally, my most relatable Michael song would have to be "Smile."

Last edited:
I'm sorry my friend, but that statement right there is a bit too general for the incipient feminist in me :p Surely you must've meant Girls can be heartbreakers or Certain girls.......but definitely not all of us. Obviously you are not aware of the wideeee diversity which makes up female kind.

Well, I've dated a lot of girls? Oh, and I'm a female, so I hope I have a little bit of an idea what makes up the female kind? :p

Last edited:
Well, I've dated a lot of girls? Oh, and I'm a female, so I hope I have a little bit of an idea what makes up the female kind? :p

Ooooops, my bad :doh: To be honest, your username is so gender-free that I didn't even think about it. I actually did "suspect" you were a she, but when you mentioned those two songs my highly judgmental self figured you were a male.

It was a nice (albeit brief) thought to believe I actually had a male friend around here lol. Thank goodness I didn't mention anything else about your username hahaha

What was the thread about again? Ah, yeah......people relating to Michael's lyrics :p

Hahaha. It's okay. I laughed. I actually go by Jack, so that's a little more confusing for people (which I find amusing.) TinnyandOdd is actually a reference to Nathan Lane when he was speaking about the sound emitting from his headphones when recording for The Producers soundtrack, so I'm kind of a gay man if it makes you feel any better :p

Back to Michael's lyrics, I guess now I can say I really relate to Who Is It, only the song is clearly about me ;) I like to think I'm funny :p

Usernames are funny things. I used to defy gender definitions myself in my AntWort "incarnation" lol. I actually have this weird habit of checking people's usernames. I think they can be terribly insightful. In another thread we were talkin' about Armageddon of the brain in SIM and I found out there is someone with that very expression as username. Also, a most interesting one for me was PelvicThrustingAction, supposedly they are a new member. I would sure like to hear their take on things :p

Oh, and Jack.......you are funny. Don't you ever doubt that :)

Man, I love this thread thanks. One of my favourites. First, I wanted to say "It depends on my mood. This one, that one, this one."

Then I thought about it more seriously, and the song which represents the era of my life I'm going through now the most is "Keep The Faith." I listened to it while reading the lyrics to make sure. English is not my mother tongue so sometimes there are words I cannot identify, no matter who's singing. I know he had no idea I exist, but it felt like I was hearing a mentor talk to me. Like a coach or something. "All you need is the will to want it and uhh, little self-esteem". It's one of my favourite parts, because of the message and the "and uhh" which makes the song sound like a conversation. His "angry voice", makes the song sound like tough love, like he really means what he's saying and wants you to hear it. "Hold on , let me sing this part this way, otherwise some people might think I'm playing. Makes it uh, makes it ri-ight !" The following part is so raw, sincere and relevant: "Lift up your mind before your mind gets blown, some things in life you best just leave them alone". He's not trying to beat around the bush.

Thank you so much Michael, you were one bad motherf***er ! :)

Last edited:
Human Nature. "Four walls won't hold me tonight"/"If this town is just an apple, then let me take a bite". I'm sure everyone knows what these lyrics are about.

I know he had no idea I exist, but it felt like I was hearing a mentor talk to me.

I feel exactly the same about that song.. especially at this time in my life, that song is all I need to hear sometimes. Very inspirational, it really lifts me up.. I have the same but to a lesser extent with On the line. So those two and Will you be there (an all time favorite:heart: ) would be my most relatable songs :yes:

Will You Be There for me, the words are just incredible and they speak to me so much. It helps my surname is Jordan though :cheeky:

Last edited:
Human Nature. "Four walls won't hold me tonight"/"If this town is just an apple, then let me take a bite". I'm sure everyone knows what these lyrics are about.

Well, I guess I should elaborate on this a bit. Why I identify with this so much is because it's really about a shy, lonely, maybe slightly introverted person, who gets the courage to approach another person, and claim his place in this world. Needless to say, I am a person like that (working on that courage part still), and that is why this song is so inspirational to me.

Well, I guess I should elaborate on this a bit. Why I identify with this so much is because it's really about a shy, lonely, maybe slightly introverted person, who gets the courage to approach another person, and claim his place in this world. Needless to say, I am a person like that (working on that courage part still), and that is why this song is so inspirational to me.

This is one of the great things about art - people can read the same sentence and interpret it in a myriad of ways. Take the lyrics that you've quoted for example. Taken out of the context of the song to me they depict someone on the hunt for a bit of fun, someone with a rather indiscriminate pursuit. The way you put it makes a different sense.

Not gonna sit here and preach you fear quotes from FDR or poor Robin Williams or cliches taken from conventional "wisdom" cause I know how boring and useless that can be. Considering that we are on a MJ message board though I will give you some examples from Michael's own work - Lil' already mentioned On the line. Perhaps you should take heed to Michael's chorus there......gotta put your heart on the line if you wanna get it right. And also another line from back in the day when him and his brothers were preachin' about.......if love is just a chance, you gotta take it.

Don't get me wrong, I know how very hard it is to put into practice all of that. I used to be quite shy and somewhat of an introvert myself a long time ago. I may have had some more than justified reasons to be like that, but thankfully I've overcome those things. Don't even get me started on the lonely part......I could write a whole novel about it and then some. So, basically I can see where you are coming from. But surely you can muster up some courage - take after the lion in the Wiz. Now that I think about it, I think that part would have suited him much better. Being "dumb" was the farthest thing from reality, but being shy and fearful, like the lion and yourself, was his character.

We haven't spoken before, so I don't know your take on spirituality. If you don't believe in any higher being than please don't get offended by my next suggestion, but I was thinking that perhaps prayer might help. I know people say that by sheer power of will and attitude we can change our circumstances, but sometimes that isn't true. Genetic impediments, emotional predispositions are very difficult to overcome, especially when reinforced by less than rosy situations in our lives, usually in our past. Which is why we should ask for help from the outside. Perhaps God can supplement whatever mistrust and apparent lack of courage you may have.

Thank you for answering my q in such a prompt manner btw. You may not realize this, but in my neck of the woods that constitutes an act of bravery :) I'm not used to people answering any of my queries........so that was very nice of ya, much appreciated. Go on with ur brave self now, out in that city or wherever :cheeky:

Last edited:
I think this is a really interesting take on the song. I'm also an excruciatingly shy introvert who was never comfortable with people my own age-everybody I could talk to and be comfortable with was either 25 years older than me or younger than 10. Constantly embarrassed and blushing and looking down.Always with my head in a book, or watching an old movie-or listening to old jazz standards while growing up, and had nothing in common with anyone my age. And just being lonely.
So, I like the fact that you read into it that it's a person that gets the courage to approach another person. And you see it as inspirational.

I had always just imagined a young man, who has the whole world in front of him, and feels invincible and wants to get out there and as you said claim his place in the world and enjoy everything that life has to offer him--including the one night stands that go along with that. When he wakes up the next morning, and touches her shoulder and the wanderlust has hit him again, he leaves-I don't think that he doesn't care for her, he does, (just the way he sings it tells me that) but wanderlust desire is much stronger. He's not ready to be tied down.

I've always identified with the girl in the song "Why does he do me that way-oh, Whyyyyyyyy" because it's just so heartbreaking. I've never had one night stands, but I can identify with heartbreak for sure.

Unbreakable-makes me feel as if I can withstand anything, even when I can't
Smile-calms me right down
Will you be there-I don't feel so alone when I listen to that song
And a few others, but I won't post them all.:)

This is one of the great things about art - people can read the same sentence and interpret it in a myriad of ways. Take the lyrics that you've quoted for example. Taken out of the context of the song to me they depict someone on the hunt for a bit of fun, someone with a rather indiscriminate pursuit. The way you put it makes a different sense.

Not gonna sit here and preach you fear quotes from FDR or poor Robin Williams or cliches taken from conventional "wisdom" cause I know how boring and useless that can be. Considering that we are on a MJ message board though I will give you some examples from Michael's own work - Lil' already mentioned On the line. Perhaps you should take heed to Michael's chorus there......gotta put your heart on the line if you wanna get it right. And also another line from back in the day when him and his brothers were preachin' about.......if love is just a chance, you gotta take it.

Don't get me wrong, I know how very hard it is to put into practice all of that. I used to be quite shy and somewhat of an introvert myself a long time ago. I may have had some more than justified reasons to be like that, but thankfully I've overcome those things. Don't even get me started on the lonely part......I could write a whole novel about it and then some. So, basically I can see where you are coming from. But surely you can muster up some courage - take after the lion in the Wiz. Now that I think about it, I think that part would have suited him much better. Being "dumb" was the farthest thing from reality, but being shy and fearful, like the lion and yourself, was his character.

We haven't spoken before, so I don't know your take on spirituality. If you don't believe in any higher being than please don't get offended by my next suggestion, but I was thinking that perhaps prayer might help. I know people say that by sheer power of will and attitude we can change our circumstances, but sometimes that isn't true. Genetic impediments, emotional predispositions are very difficult to overcome, especially when reinforced by less than rosy situations in our lives, usually in our past. Which is why we should ask for help from the outside. Perhaps God can supplement whatever mistrust and apparent lack of courage you may have.

Thank you for answering my q in such a prompt manner btw. You may not realize this, but in my neck of the woods that constitutes an act of bravery :) I'm not used to people answering any of my queries........so that was very nice of ya, much appreciated. Go on with ur brave self now, out in that city or wherever :cheeky:

Girl, you are a very wise girl :cheeky:

I like reading these different interpretations of Human Nature! For me personally, it's such a special song, an absolute favorite - and although lyrics are always very important to me - in this case, I connect more with the overall vibe this song gives me..
The lyrics are pretty melancholic to me, they give me this vision of loneliness - being among people but still feeling alone. There's always some sort of distance, the 'stranger' in the song never becomes more than that and it seems like it's more about wanting to explore, go out, have fun, but never really doing so..

The funny thing is that apparently, Steve Porcaro was inspired to write the song after his daughter told him a boy in her school's playground teased her, and she wondered 'why would he do that?'.. (the lyrics Steve wrote were different tho, but Quincy had John Bettis re-write them - Michael's addition to the song was that really high 'whyyyy oh whyyyyy' part:D)

It really is nice to read everyone's interpretations of songs, be it Human Nature or others. It really brings the music back home and makes it more personal.

Girl, you are a very wise girl :cheeky:

:blushing: don't say that Erandi cause I may end up believing it :p

'Scream' is a song that I think of instantly - I listen to it when I'm MAD - as well as '2Bad', 'Leave Me Alone' - Michael's aggressive/angry vocals are amazing!
'Stranger in Moscow' - when I feel lonely/sad
'Destiny' - still searching for my destiny
'Smile' - when I feel sad, this song makes me happy and optimistic again
'Earth Song' - when I'm mad at humanity destroying the Earth - also 'Heal The World'
'You Are my Life' - for Michael
'Man In The Mirror' - when Michael talked about this song during the EbonyJet interview in 1987 it had a huge impact on me at 4.50-5.20
- this inspired me to make better of myself, as well as the song itself

Back