Rembert Explains the '80s: Michael Jackson at the 1988 Grammy Awards [merged]

qbee

Proud Member
REMBERT EXPLAINS

Rembert Explains the '80s: Michael Jackson at the 1988 Grammy Awards
http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...80s-michael-jackson-at-the-1988-grammy-awards

By Rembert Browne on February 28, 2013 5:55 PM ET

i
L. Busacca/WireImage
Welcome back to our series Rembert Explains the '80s. Every so often, we'll e-mail 25-year-old Rembert Browne a video from the 1980s that he hasn't seen. Rembert will write down his thoughts as he's watching the video, then we'll post those thoughts here. This week's installment was selected by Rembert Browne, BECAUSE IT'S STILL BLACK HISTORY MONTH AND I'M CALLING THE SHOTS: "The Way You Make Me Feel"/"Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson, from the 1988 Grammys.

[Note: This is the greatest awards show performance of all time. Know that.]

0:03
Don't underestimate how famous you have to be for other famous humans to go crazy at the mere sight of your silhouette.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-16-53-pm.png

0:22
Also, do not take it lightly that the Grammys gave Mike 10 MINUTES.

0:24 I've always been a giant fan of Zorro Mike.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-18-50-pm.png

Also, I should get this out the way now: I refer to Michael Jackson as "Mike" more often than not. When I was young, it made me feel like he was a friend of mine, and I've stuck to my guns since. Sometimes "Michael" happens, but not often. MJ, never.

0:29 I love the way he walks down stairs. No one's ever walked down stairs like Mike.

0:34 Shout out to the Grammys for informing the one person on Earth who didn't know who was onstage:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-24-22-pm.png

That one person appreciates you, Grammys.

0:47 The pants. And the socks. And the shoes.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-25-47-pm.png

I can't count the number of times I tried pulling off this look in the privacy of my own home, and then quickly hanging my head in shame for attempting to be something I'm not: a legend.

0:50
Spin count: 1.

0:52 The belt, which he most certainly stole from a karate outfit or a hotel robe, really pulls it all together. Also, that shirt is SO BLUE.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-27-46-pm.png

I've never seen a bluer piece of clothing. It's like the Atlantic Ocean is sitting atop his waist.

0:53 Michael Jackson was most certainly not a Crip, but they had to be pleased with this shirt.

0:54 [Disclaimer: I have no idea if Michael Jackson wasn't a Crip.]

0:56 "Tough Guy Mike" is an incredible creature, less because it was so opposite of his actual personality, and more because of how he moved his limbs as Tough Guy Mike. Every step became an aggravated kick, everything was to be pointed to, and his neck roll became the sassiest thing ever captured on camera.

1:00
Spin count: 2.

1:10 What's happening right here, you ask?

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-33-01-pm.png

Oh nothing, just Tough Guy Mike mime-smoking a fake cigarette and blowing out fake smoke.

1:13 Three seconds later:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-33-59-pm.png

Tough Guy Mike just put out the imaginary cigarette with his foot. Tough Guy Mike litters. Go figure.

1:23 It's hard not to get distracted by the movements of Tough Guy Mike, but it should be noted that (1) "The Way You Make Me Feel" is phenomenal, especially slowed down like this, and (2) there are still nine minutes in this performance.

1:27 There's nothing Tough Guy Mike loves more than THE LADIES.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-37-54-pm.png

Also, the hat has been thrown across the stage. Also, spin count: 3.

1:40 One of Mike's most underrated moves is the simple foot tap, but with one hand snapping and the other in his pocket. It's just the perfect step. Also: The Crip shirt has become fully unbuttoned, which allows for a good amount of future-cape action and more dynamic spins. Excited for that.

1:48 He's putting on a kicking, crotch-grabbing, pointing clinic right now. I'm pretty sure Billy Blanks bit about 80 percent of these moves for that first Tae Bo tape.

1:54 "ATCHA-OOOOOOOOOO"

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-58-41-pm.png

Spin count: 4.

2:01 Maybe second only to Tough Guy Mike is Tough Guy Mike And Tough Friends Who Also Know How To Dance While Remaining Moderately Tough.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-00-07-pm.png

Moderately.

2:29 Mike and his boys are so good at dancing, they can go 30 seconds at a time without singing a single word. And it never becomes less captivating. Just one of the thousands of things no one else can pull off.

2:33 Spin count: 5, 6, 7. (Yes, I'm counting revolutions, not simply the act of spinning. I care too much not to count revolutions.)

2:39 This is the best.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-02-59-pm.png

With his boys watching, Mike starts doing that slow spin/body roll/vertical worm in which he locks up most of his limbs but, due to his phenomenal ankle work, manages to still rotate.

NEVER STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ANKLE WORK OF MICHAEL JACKSON.

3:03 Mike is still doing it. Bless him.

3:05 "ATCHA-OOOO"

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-08-20-pm.png

3:08 The song's over and the crowd is cheering. More important: LOOK AT MIKE'S HAIR.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-09-16-pm.png

He's like a magical faun with a curl. Very rare.

3:14 So Mr. Jackson just bowed, and, in the eyes of the audience, that's all they get. And they're thankful, because for three minutes, Mike put on an incredible show. It's just crazy to think they hadn't the first clue that there were seven more minutes left.

3:17 OH YES.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-11-18-pm.png

WHOSE HAND IS THAT? I want to know everything about the human owner of the hand that tenderly touched Michael's hand as it passed him the microphone. Everything.

3:22 The first few notes of "Man in the Mirror" do things to me, spiritually. I can't explain it, but I know the journey that I'm about to go on, and it's always a beautiful, teary roller coaster.

3:46 "Gonna make it rii-iii-iiighht."

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-14-25-pm.png

4:00
"I see little kids, in the stree-tah, without enough to e-tah."

4:12 The reason this song and, as we will see, this performance are so good is that Mike has all of the human emotions, and they're all expressed in this one clip.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-18-21-pm.png

He feels everything.

4:38 This might be the most beautiful performance of our most beautiful song.

4:53 MIKE. BROUGHT. BACKUP.

Hey, ladies:
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-20-05-pm.png

Hey, more ladies and a man who looks like Peabo Bryson:
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-20-33-pm.png

5:35
Mike just did two classic "My name is Michael Jackson and I am very emotional" moves: the frantic shaking of the non-microphone hand and the high step. He's feeling it.

THERE ARE STILL FIVE MINUTES LEFT. And Mike hasn't even gotten in the zone yet.

6:01 One thing you have to respect about Mike is how much ground he covers on this giant stage. He's been everywhere. Just a complete dedication to his craft, as well as respect for the surface area of that stage.

6:04 Something worth noting: Michael Jackson is actually singing.

6:13 "CHANGE."

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-24-55-pm.png

6:15
And just like that, HELLO CHOIR:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-25-16-pm.png

This is the moment this performance starts to get real.

6:23 It's hard to notice initially, but not only is this choir in full force in their Crip robes, but every few seconds, they get closer and closer to Mike. Just watch out for it. It's great.

6:29 Mike just Eastside Stomped all over the Grammy stage. He is the chosen one.

6:35 Spin count: 8, 9, which results in ...

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-28-40-pm.png

If you aren't moved by this, you don't have a soul.

Few people have ever "left it on the field," like Michael Jackson at the 1988 Grammys.
No one's ever done anything like this.

AND THERE ARE STILL FOUR MINUTES LEFT.

6:46 Perhaps the most puzzling shot of the video, because everyone in the audience is sitting down.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-33-22-pm.png

I just don't get it. I don't know how you remain glued to your seat as new religions are being formed onstage.

6:50 Mike's standing back up, but you have to know that's a temporary thing. Also, look at the ground that the choir has covered.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-31-52-pm.png

They're coming for Michael. Because he needs them. And they need him back.

Also, pay close attention to Mike's crouched-over bop. Right now, it's decently controlled, but over the next few minutes it begins to have a mind of its own. And there's nothing better than when that happens.

6:57 "WHOOOOO"

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-32-46-pm.png

7:11
"Na na na, na na na, na na, na naaaaa"

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-36-28-pm.png

This is the point that this goes from a classic performance to the best performance. The next three minutes are EVERYTHING.

7:18 Yes, Mike's microphone went out for two seconds, which is made worse because the audience is loudly clapping, probably because some of them think the song is over. While temporarily unfortunate, you can hear Michael shouting the lyrics, further proof that he is, in fact, actually singing.

7:24 MIC BACK. MIKE BACK.

7:44 Michael is shouting ad-libs at the audience, which is important, because if there's one thing this performance is, it's a sermon. He's just up on that stage, converting lost souls.

7:47 "STAND UP, BROTHER."

I've seen this hundreds of times, and I'm still a mess, mainly because I still know we haven't gotten to the best part.

8:04 Michael is screaming.

8:14 And now Mike's back on the floor:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-43-42-pm.png

What got him there? Spin count: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

HE SPUN AROUND FIVE TIMES AND LANDED ON HIS KNEES IN THE DIRECTION HE WANTED BECAUSE HE'S PERFECT.
Seriously, do you know how hard it is to do that? I've been trying to land that five-spin, land-on-knees move without breaking my legs or vomiting by revolution three since I was 7 years old. I'm approximately 0-for-750.

8:17 In our eighth minute, we finally reach the filthiest breakdown in a live performance that I've ever heard. It's just disgusting how good this is. And that's only aided by the fact that Michael is writhing on the floor.

8:27 My indicator of deciding whether or not someone is important is if one of your background singers comes to check on you, emotionally, in the middle of the song.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-47-34-pm.png

That's what just happened, and it's phenomenal. Also, he helps him up. All that's missing is the James Brown robe-over-the-shoulders move.

8:34 The background track in the song is gone, and all that's happening are foot stomps, hand claps, and voices. This is not the Grammys. This is church.

8:39 More sermons from Michael:
"Black man gotta make a change, white man gotta make a change."

8:45 What I previously said about Mike's crouched-over bop eventually having a mind of its own: Well, yes, that's happening right now. He's lowering his shoulder like a running back, all while continuing to do incomparable ankle work. Stunning leg work all around, really.

8:52 LOOK AT HOW CLOSE THIS CHOIR IS.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-54-05-pm.png

9:01
When Mike gets really excited, like he is now, and starts jumping up and down, like he is now, I genuinely think he could dunk on a 12-foot hoop.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-55-46-pm.png

Respect this mythical creature and his hops.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-56-25-pm.png

9:04 Before we get into Michael's best spin of the night, pay attention to the way he collects himself, pre-spin. He takes a bunch of little steps that by themselves look silly, but are fantastic considering the end result.

9:06 That end result:
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-58-23-pm.png

Mike's on the ground again. Also, spin count: 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

9:13
I think Michael has blacked out. I don't think he has any idea where he is.

9:20
And now he's deep-voice scatting and screaming. Yep, definitely blacked out. One hundred percent thinks he's in Gary. So pleased with him.

9:26
The breakdown is over, the background track is back on, and now Mike is ready to bring this home, late in minute nine.

9:27 Every time I make it to this point, I have to remind myself that "The Way You Make Me Feel" took place on this same stage, which is mind-boggling.

9:35 Mike is telling everyone to stand up.

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-02-30-pm.png

They better listen.

9:40 They did:
"CHAAAAANGE"

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-03-29-pm.png
"Make that change."

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-03-48-pm.png

Look how frizzy his little curl mullet is. That's what hard work looks like.

And everyone loved it:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-05-52-pm.png
"Yayyyy." — Christie Brinkley

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-07-pm.png
"Yayyy." — Stevie Wonder

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-16-pm.png
[Telepathically] "Good job, Michael." — Prince

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-31-pm.png
"Yayyy." — Anita Baker

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-38-pm.png
"Yayyy." — Cyndi Lauper

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-55-pm.png
"Tutti frutti, Michael." — Little Richard (Translation: "Good job.")

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-07-25-pm.png

Same to you, Michael. Always.

Re: Rembert Explains the '80s: Michael Jackson at the 1988 Grammy Awards

This performance had the best Ad-Libs for Man in The Mirror.

Awesome article and so true! :clapping: It's kind of funny too. Thanks for sharing :D

I always loved this performance of Man In The Mirror and I very much remember watching it when it aired. Thank You qbee for posting this! Amazing read & visuals, I had to go watch the 1988 Grammy's performance again. As a matter of fact here's the HD I watched.

Just because: MJ GOT AIR! ;)
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-3-56-25-pm.png

tumblr_lft2qcvc5i1qcei4bo1_500.jpg

jump-big-time-michael-jackson-13621681-290-320.jpg

tour_dangerous_toaster.jpg

116jump4ko8au.jpg

1976826203_1.jpg

20120625-MICHAELJACKSON.jpg

10412262.JPG

Last edited:

One of the best performances EVER.

Grammys 1988 > Motown 25

Wonderful article, I loved it........well done to the writer ?

Probably my favourite Man in the Mirror performance, funny article :)

Loved that article,l thanks for posting qbee.

Actually this was the 1989 grammies not 1988. [Edit: Nope def 1988.]

Also, do not take it lightly that the Grammy gave Mike 10 MINUTES.

And so they damn well should have done after not giving any grammies to mj for bad the year before.

Last edited:
Welcome back to our series Rembert Explains the '80s. Every so often, we'll e-mail 25-year-old Rembert Browne a video from the 1980s that he hasn't seen. Rembert will write down his thoughts as he's watching the video, then we'll post those thoughts here.

This week's installment was selected by Rembert Browne, BECAUSE IT'S STILL BLACK HISTORY MONTH AND I'M CALLING THE SHOTS: "The Way You Make Me Feel"/"Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson, from the 1988 Grammys. If you have an idea for a future episode of Rembert Explains the '80s, e-mail us at hollywood@grantland.com

[Note: This is the greatest awards show performance of all time. Know that.]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BwLxJiPlsF0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

0:03 Don't underestimate how famous you have to be for other famous humans to go crazy at the mere sight of your silhouette.
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-16-53-pm.png

0:22 Also, do not take it lightly that the Grammys gave Mike 10 MINUTES.
0:24 I've always been a giant fan of Zorro Mike.
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-18-50-pm.png

Also, I should get this out the way now: I refer to Michael Jackson as "Mike" more often than not. When I was young, it made me feel like he was a friend of mine, and I've stuck to my guns since. Sometimes "Michael" happens, but not often. MJ, never.
0:29 I love the way he walks down stairs. No one's ever walked down stairs like Mike.
0:34 Shout out to the Grammys for informing the one person on Earth who didn't know who was onstage:
screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-2-24-22-pm.png

That one person appreciates you, Grammys.

MORE MINUTES ABOUT GRAMMY AND MJ HERE - http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...80s-michael-jackson-at-the-1988-grammy-awards

And everyone loved it:

screen-shot-2013-02-28-at-4-06-16-pm.png

[Telepathically] "Good job, Michael." &#8212; Prince

Awe-some!!!!!!!

^^ what are you talking about this was in 1988. Btw i never knew prince was in the audience that night :)

^^ what are you talking about this was in 1988. Btw i never knew prince was in the audience that night :)

I agree! I even remember Lars Ulrich (Metallica's drummer) saying they were in that award show in 1988, watching Michael, Stevie, etc.

That article cracked me up! :lmao: Prince's "reaction." :rofl:

http://boards.mjjunderground.com/to...sm/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Executive Producer of the Grammy&#8217;s Remembers Michael's Perfectionism

Michael performed a medley of "Man In The Mirror" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" at the 30th Grammy Awards at Radio City in New York in 1988. Following his rehearsal, he called me and asked if I would bring Walter Miller, our director, over to his hotel to go over `a few shots' from the tape I had given him. It was the night before the show but after our last rehearsal, we went over to the Helmsley Palace and found ourselves in this amazing duplex suite with views of all of lower Manhattan, alone with Michael and his choreographer, Vince Patterson.

Michael had only a few shot changes and, after some small talk about having a great performance the next night on the show, Walter and I left with Vince.

But just before Vince left, Michael whispered something to him and I saw Vince give him something.

On the way down in the elevator, I asked Vince what Michael had said. Vince told us that he had given him this wooden microphone that Michael liked to rehearse with, and that Michael would probably stand in front of the full-length mirror that he had propped up against one window in the corner of the suite and rehearse most of the night, fine tuning his steps.

The thought of this man, nominated for several Grammys, alone against the skyline of the city, rehearsing on a night when most of his fellow nominees were out celebrating, has never left me over the number of times we've worked together. Getting it right, getting it perfect, was more important than anything else.

-- Ken Ehrlich, executive producer, Grammy Awards

Nice read! He thought Mike sung the whole of MITM live, which he didn't, but still a great read. Those ad-libs at the end were so good.

I agree! I even remember Lars Ulrich (Metallica's drummer) saying they were in that award show in 1988, watching Michael, Stevie, etc.

Thanks, just checked. For some reason thought he did this perf at the end of the bad tour. So this was the evening he went home empty handed (as did prince, lol) - well he had the last laugh. Who remembers who won what grammy, when you have this perf saved on film.

Michael was a winner because people remember that performance and he continued on to great things after that.

Loved that article & this part made my day: I can't count the number of times I tried pulling off this look in the privacy of my own home, and then quickly hanging my head in shame for attempting to be something I'm not: a legend.

He is so right about Michael's feet/ankle movements though. Sometimes I put the Bad dvd on just to focus on the foot movements.

I love when people talk about Michael's work ethic and how it stays with them. They don't forget something like that. It shows Michael respect. I always get goosebumps when I see Michael drop to his knees. I think if I tried that I would hurt myself lol.

I remember watching this and I was so disappinted that Bobby Mcferrin won over him. In 1988, Song of the year, Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male recording, Record of the year, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" in the album Simple Pleasures.

Man in the Mirror beaten by Don't Worry Be Happy.

I remember watching this and I was so disappinted that Bobby Mcferrin won over him. In 1988, Song of the year, Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male recording, Record of the year, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" in the album Simple Pleasures.

Man in the Mirror beaten by Don't Worry Be Happy.

And at the MTV Music Awards Smooth Criminal was beaten by Paula Abdul's Straight Up for best choreography. Can you believe that? In the hindsight it seems even more ridiculous than at the time - and it was already ridiculous back then. Smooth Criminal is one of the most iconic choreographies and best videos ever.

I guess in award ceremonies they tend to prefer up and coming new artists, because people are always hungry for something new. And I also believe that by this time people in the industry have decided to "put Michael back in his place" after the success of Thriller. The time has come when no matter what he did, they just would not acknowledge him any more.

On the other hand, at the end of the day it's the awards that they cheapen with such politics. Who remembers Straight Up and what awards it won? But everybody remembers Smooth Criminal. It continues to inspire and awe. Even without an award. That's what is the true measure of greatness, not these awards, which are often given to people who soon are forgotten and history proves the decision makers wrong.

Back