How do you answer this question.....

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
How would you describe Michael's sound? Someone asked me this question recently and I was at loss for words, really. I couldn't put it on a singular term. His sound was so widespread and diverse. I mean he tapped in to so many different genres, so I asked myself what is one major characteristic in Michael's music that makes me go 'oh yeah there is that MJ sound'

How would you answer this question?

I would ask back how does this person describe the sound of his fave artist - to get an idea about what he means exactly.

I would ask back how does this person describe the sound of his fave artist - to get an idea about what he means exactly.

Hmm in terms of the sound of his instrumentations maybe? I immediately thought of his hiccups but that doesn't say a lot. When I think of vintage MJ I think of that thumping Bassline. BJ, WBBS, Bad, SC,HT. That bassline that makes you wanna go up and just groove. Of course in reality there is no such thing as vintage MJ, you can say that all his album are vintage because he always reinvented himself, so I use that loosely.

I don't know if I could describe anyone's sound in a singular term, so I'm still not sure what this person expected from you. That's why I'd ask him to describe the sound of his fave first, so maybe from that I'd get an idea what he means. Genre? Something else? I don't know. Also I know the "sound of MJ" when I hear it but how do you describe it?

I think his adlibs are a defining Michael characteristic, no one else does that like he did; and his voice is instantly recognizable... so much soul and passion and power, the epitome of pop, rock, and soul...it is hard to describe his sound with just one term, I guess.

I don't know if I could describe anyone's sound in a singular term, so I'm still not sure what this person expected from you. That's why I'd ask him to describe the sound of his fave first, so maybe from that I'd get an idea what he means. Genre? Something else? I don't know. Also I know the "sound of MJ" when I hear it but how do you describe it?

The way I interpreted it was like this, what is one of the major characteristics in MJ's music, a staple that makes you go oh this is a typical MJ song it has his sound written all over it.

I keep thinking about the songs that he's written for other people like centipiede, Alright Now, Eaten Alive. The rhythm and pace of these songs, bar alright now, really exudes Michael's aura. So I guess rhythm and tempo? He really loved the staccato style so that too.

Really I have to say Bass is the major characteristic of his music. SC, TWYMMF, Billie Jean,Who Is It, Blood On The Dance Floor, Hollywood Tonight. Think about it, when the beat drops and you hear that heavy thumping base you immediately get caught in the groove, hypnotized. On all of those song mentioned above, he doesn't really start singing until the bass repeats a couple of times. That makes me go like, oh this right here is a MJ groove.

Repsect77 I saw an interesting reply to a thread that you made, I'm a go ahead and quote here if that's okay with you

Maybe. Probably it's also the fact that it's MJ's most controversial album within the fan base so there is also much discussion about whether it was a good album or not. I do think it had more potential and in a way yes, it is overlooked. Butterflies, Whatever Happens, Threatened and Unbreakable (or at least 2 or 3 of those) would and should have been genuine hits if the media and Sony had treated MJ more fairly and more professionally at the time. On the other hand, as an overall album, I do think that some of the criticism is justified. I also think it's the least MJ-sounding album of all of his albums and others' sounds dominate it instead of his, which I have a problem with as a fan. That doesn't mean I do not listen to it and I do not like several of its songs - and I especially love MJ's vocals on it which is so heartfelt and soulful.

Concerning the bolded part, how does an typical MJ album sound like for you? What are the sounds that makes you discern that Vince is a bit left in terms of originality, purely speaking about originality as in vintage Mike. I have deviated a little bit from the original topic but I am quite interested in this.

I think his adlibs are a defining Michael characteristic, no one else does that like he did; and his voice is instantly recognizable... so much soul and passion and power, the epitome of pop, rock, and soul...it is hard to describe his sound with just one term, I guess.

Oh yeah his adlibs, definitely. It is pretty hard to pin it down with one term but I believe you're right.

Last edited:
^ Like I said I cannot describe it in words. I just know it by hearing it. That's probably because of my lack of education in musical terms. Someone more familiar with music theory may find a way to put it in words, but I cannot. Though I doubt that even those with formal education in music can describe someone's style in a singular term, like your friend asked. That seems to me like quite an impossible task.

You can't because he didn't have a distinct sound.

Compare Jam to Will You Be There to Earth Song to Gone Too Soon to Give In To Me to Little Susie.

RnB, gospel, opera, pop, balladry, rock.

Hence king of music.

Two words I like to use are ****ing stunning. Maybe this will help.

I have read some absolutely beautiful descriptions of Michael's "sound" from music journalists in the past-the only one that I can remember this second is calling something a "breathless stutter."

To me, Michael's sound is emotion and passion-it's not just his tone, but the gasps for air cutting off his sentences, the shouts, yells, shrieks, the sexy purring and coaxing, slurring words, completing changing words-all made you FEEL the emotion of the song down to your very core, to the pit of your stomach and the flutter of your heart.

I admire a lot of singers-especially the torch singers of the 30's and 40's, but I've never quite felt the way I have when I hear Michael sing, when he hit his adult stride.

Last edited:
A musical symphony who mastered each genre he took on, transcending his genius to many around the world. It is difficult to put his name to one single style..

Wonderful thread :clapping:

The first thing that came to my mind was "Soul pop" :blush:

Indeed, you can't really 'label' Michael's sound to ONE genre cause he does it all really...
Classic, ballads, rock, pop, soul,rap and so on and on...

I would say... Just listen to Michael's music and you'll feel the power and the emotion 'throbbing' in your own veins :wub:

What is MJ's sound? Its like explaining what L.O.V.E is, right?
You just put your headphones on and FEEL his music ;) That's all!

Wonderful thread :clapping:

The first thing that came to my mind was "Soul pop" :blush:

Indeed, you can't really 'label' Michael's sound to ONE genre cause he does it all really...
Classic, ballads, rock, pop, soul,rap and so on and on...

I would say... Just listen to Michael's music and you'll feel the power and the emotion 'throbbing' in your own veins :wub:

What is MJ's sound? Its like explaining what L.O.V.E is, right?
You just put your headphones on and FEEL his music ;) That's all!

That's why I asked: are we talking about genres here? Because that's the way people usually describe music in a singular term. But I think someone's sound is more than just his or her genre. While MJ did many genres, but I do think he had a distinctive style through most of his songs regardless of genre.

That's why I asked: are we talking about genres here? Because that's the way people usually describe music in a singular term. But I think someone's sound is more than just his or her genre. While MJ did many genres, but I do think he had a distinctive style through most of his songs regardless of genre.

Well, peeps always talk about 'genres' :smilerolleyes: They love to put stuff in 'boxes', you know!

That is why I can't put Michael's music in ONE 'genre' cause his music doesn't FIT in ONE particular box!

Yeah, a "Distinctive style" is ONE way to 'box' Michael's music but like I said...

It's just a feeling really... :punk:

Back