What are the fundamental beliefs of Jehovahs Witnesses.

Datsymay

Proud Member
There will be no JW bashing in this thread.I just would like to know hat their belief is' I am interested in this cause I do believe that their main belief helped to frame and form the MJ that we know today.
There are many very famous people who are also of this belief. We know the William sisters are among them, so is Prince.
What I would like to kow is ; Do JW celebrate Easter? Do they believe in the resurrection of Christ. I know that they do not believe that Jesus was born on Dec. 25 so they do not celebrate christmas.
They do not celebrate birthdays, I am not sure why,
I think they do nt believe that jesus is God.
I also think that they do nt believe in a heaven or hell, this thought can be seen in MJ's writing in Dancing the dream, where he wrote that heaven is here on earth.
So let me ask again esp for those that may knw. What is the fundamental teachings of the jehovah's Witnesses.?:)

why not just look on the watchtower site? that will give you all the details you need. i know a few jw's but dont get into all that with them as they make fundimentalists look good lol

Well perhaps their most distinct or unique belief is that only 144,000 people will gain immortal life in heaven as rulers alongside Christ. They also believe that after the Armageddon, about a million people will be resurrected and will form a new society governed by the 144,000 souls in heaven. The million people who will be resurrected after the Armageddon is disputed amongst JW's. Some believe only JW's will be resurrected. Other believe anyone who believe in God potentially could be resurrected, but JW's get first preference. Then others believe being a JW doesn't matter, just the million most Godliest people on Earth will be resurrected after the Armageddon.

Apart from the whole 144,000 rulers in heaven and a million people resurrected after the Armageddon thing, Jehova's Witnesses are basically just Christians. They believe in God, although they call him "Jehova". They believe that Jesus is the son of God, but they also believe he is a separate entity from God (not one with the holy spirit). The do believe in Jesus' resurrection though. However, they don't accept the cross as symbol of his crucifixion because they believe it was only derived from Pagan symbology and does not actually depict the way he was executed. Which leads me to believe, although I don't know this for sure that they don't celebrate Easter. Easter was a Pagan celebration, so I'd assume JW's reject it. No idea why they don't celebrate birthdays to.

One more thing, I don't think Michael was a JW when he wrote Dancing the Dream. He left the JWs in about the mid-late 80s. So it wouldn't be surprising if his religious beliefs around the time of DTD differ from the JW beliefs.

Last edited:
Well perhaps their most distinct or unique belief is that only 144,000 people will gain immortal life in heaven as rulers alongside Christ. They also believe that after the Armageddon, about a million people will be resurrected and will form a new society governed by the 144,000 souls in heaven. The million people who will be resurrected after the Armageddon is disputed amongst JW's. Some believe only JW's will be resurrected. Other believe anyone who believe in God potentially could be resurrected, but JW's get first preference. Then others believe being a JW doesn't matter, just the million most Godliest people on Earth will be resurrected after the Armageddon.

Apart from the whole 144,000 rulers in heaven and a million people resurrected after the Armageddon thing, Jehova's Witnesses are basically just Christians. They believe in God, although they call him "Jehova". They believe that Jesus is the son of God, but they also believe he is a separate entity from God (not one with the holy spirit). The do believe in Jesus' resurrection though. However, they don't accept the cross as symbol of his crucifixion because they believe it was only derived from Pagan symbology and does not actually depict the way he was executed. Which leads me to believe, although I don't know this for sure that they don't celebrate Easter. Easter was a Pagan celebration, so I'd assume JW's reject it. No idea why they don't celebrate birthdays to.

One more thing, I don't think Michael was a JW when he wrote Dancing the Dream. He left the JWs in about the mid-late 80s. So it wouldn't be surprising if his religious beliefs around the time of DTD differ from the JW beliefs.
Thank you so much. You have enlightened me. You made mentioned that the JW is unique in believing the 144, 000 saints going to heaven. this is not so. this was also a fundamental believe of my church, Church of God of prophecy, and has it's roots in the bible.
When I said that MJ's poem reflected the teaching, I meant that he was still influenced by his teachings as much as I am still influenced by mine, even though I have left the church. Thanks for helping out. I am guessing that the birthday celebration is linked to the pagan religion, but I am not certain.:)

bithdays and xmas are pagen so its not celebrated. mj beliefs (old or new) can be clearly seen in the earth song video exactly the same as many paintings in the watch tower mags and obviously the theme of the video

If I sound like someone that has knocked on your door, offered you an Awake or Watchtower magazine and asked you if you know Jehovah ... please understand it is only because I have had family around me all my life that are and have been practicing JW's all their life and I have asked and been given answers to many questions.

Trinity
Jehovah, the Father, is 'the only true God'. Jesus is His firstborn Son, and he is subject to God. The Father is greater than the Son. The holy spirit is not a person, it is God's active force.

holidays, idols(false idols), ...

Not all beliefs and customs are bad. But God does not approve of them if they come from false religion or are against Bible teachings

Jehovah (God) is the only thing that should be 'celebrated'

Birthdays
The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the entire calendar year.

The birth(christmas), death of Jesus, his resurrection (Easter) is acknowledged just not 'celebrated' in the way or on the same day(s) that the Catholic or other religions 'celebrate' it.

Jesus was not born on December 25. He was born about October 1, a time of year when shepherds kept their flocks out-of-doors at night. Jesus never commanded Christians to celebrate his birth. Rather, he told his disciples to memorialize, or remember, his death. Christmas and its customs come from ancient false religions. The same is true of Easter customs, such as the use of eggs and rabbits. The early Christians did not celebrate Christmas or Easter, nor do true Christians today.

Jesus did not die on a cross. He died on a pole, or a stake. The Greek word translated 'cross' in many Bibles meant just one piece of timber. The symbol of the cross comes from ancient false religions. The cross was not used or worshiped by the early Christians. Therefore the use of it as a form of worship is false.

The goal or end result that JW's are looking to is described in the words below. It may not completely explain or answer all the questions some may have. However it does paint a vivid picture that, hopefully can be grasped by anyone wishing to understand their purpose. They hold true to the word of the Bible as it was written. It's teachings and commands are not twisted or altered to suit a modern (Worldly) society, as many religions choose to do. All praise is to be bestowed upon Jehovah, he is the allmighty and only through living and spreading his word will they be granted 'a world without tears' ...

Just think of a world, a world without tears,
Where a man can live a million years
With never a grief, an ache, or a pain,
And never a thought of dying again

Think of a world, when a man plants a vine,
He can sit in its shade and say "This is mine."
He will live in the house his own hand has made,
And naught shall molest, or make him afraid

Think of a world without bloodshed and strife,
Where no man dare take another man's life.
Where man unto man will unite in peace,
And malice and hatred forever more cease.

Think of the Earth as a global paradise,
Where mountain and desert will dazzle your eyes,
With beautiful flowers and shrubbery and trees,
With gay butterflies, songbirds, and bees.

Think! Just as sure as God's word is the truth,
A man shall return to the days of his youth.
His flesh shall become as the flesh of a child,
And the words that he speaks will be cheerful and mild.

Think of a world where a lame man will leap
From crag to crag like a deer or a sheep.
where none will be deaf or none will be blind,
And the dumb shall sing and speak forth his mind.

Think of a world where each man is his brother,
Not esteeming himselfabove that of another.
Where man unto man will be friend to friend,
In a world without tears, that will never end.

Think of a world where the dead will have risen,
From their silent tombs that hold them in prison.
To forever live to love and caress,
Their loved ones and friends in righteousness

Now a "world without tears" is not just a dream,
As many a person might make it seem.
For just as sure as the Bible is true,
A world without tears now lies before you.

And since such a world before you now lies,
Wouldn't you like to live in such a paradise?
And share all the blessings that God has in store,
For all who would do his will evermore.

Goods news of the Kingdom is still being sung,
Throughout every nation, kingdom and tongue.
And all who are thirsting for Truth are invited,
To join the New World Society and be united.

In praising our God, our savior and King,
And giving to Him all we have, everything;
That we might live through endless years,
In a world without sorrow, "A WORLD WITHOUT TEARS."

Last edited:
Chichi, thank you for breaking it down so eloquently for me. it has cleared up a lot of things in my mind. I love that poem you posted.

chi chi- why are you not baptisized? sounds like you've been studying for quite sometime

chi chi- why are you not baptisized? sounds like you've been studying for quite sometime
He is very good, isn't he. Sounds like a witness to me.:D
Dies anybody know the song. My soul is a witness for the lord? Could that song have originated from the JW? What type of praise and worship songs do they sing if they do not worship Jesus.

Last edited:
Jehovah's witnesses have a song book- Sing Praises to Jehovah

- please note that they do believe in Christ and all communication to Jehovah goes through the name of his son Jesus.

I hope this isn't considered bashing - but everytime someone says "Jehovah Wittiness" I think of the threes company theme song.

Come and knock on our door.....
We've been waiting for you......

Anyway, my great aunt was JW but she has passed away. There's so many misconceptions about this religion. I don't mind talking to them. I enjoy listening about others beliefs

Last edited:
wow i didnt know they believed in a Trinity. I didn't think they believed in Jesus at ALL.

There will be no JW bashing in this thread.I just would like to know hat their belief is' I am interested in this cause I do believe that their main belief helped to frame and form the MJ that we know today.
There are many very famous people who are also of this belief. We know the William sisters are among them, so is Prince.
What I would like to kow is ; Do JW celebrate Easter? Do they believe in the resurrection of Christ. I know that they do not believe that Jesus was born on Dec. 25 so they do not celebrate christmas.
They do not celebrate birthdays, I am not sure why,
I think they do nt believe that jesus is God.
I also think that they do nt believe in a heaven or hell, this thought can be seen in MJ's writing in Dancing the dream, where he wrote that heaven is here on earth.
So let me ask again esp for those that may knw. What is the fundamental teachings of the jehovah's Witnesses.?:)

it is interesting how you preface this thread. you will never hear that for a Christian thread. but having said that..i don't know why but i don't see MJ as a follower of what his family wanted...i believe he is good at keeping his beliefs to himself, to the point of all the speculation about his beliefs among the masses. but i believe that the JW do believe in a heaven on earth. they have come to my door many times and have told me that.

Last edited:
it is interesting how you preface this thread. you will never hear that for a Christian thread. but having said that..i don't know why but i don't see MJ as a follower of what his family wanted...i believe he is good at keeping his beliefs to himself, to the point of all the speculation about his beliefs among the masses. but i believe that the JW do believe in a heaven on earth. they have come to my door many times and have told me that.
Whatever do you mean by that? Anyway, I started this thread specifically for information, not to discuss the wrongs or rights of christianity or JW. JW is not my religion so I am offering it as much respect as I would expect others to give my faith.
Now Had the subject been about the wrongs or rights about the JW I would not have started the thread that way.:)

wow i didnt know they believed in a Trinity. I didn't think they believed in Jesus at ALL.
they don't believe in a trinity. they believe that the father, son , and holy spirit are seperate entities

i think the biggest misconceptions people have about JW's are that they are NOT Christians. They are Christians but they believe in diffrent principles which others have mentioned in here. Two of my best friends are JW's and for the most part we get along cause we believe in GOD and Christ (which is the most important thing). I am NOT a JW but I do find some of their teachings informative and really good but I think the MAIN difference between me and them are their belief that 144,000 "annointed ones" are going to heaven while Paradise will be on Earth, whereas I believe in the Rapture that Jesus will come back to earth to meet his people in the sky and those that believe in GOD through Jesus will go to heaven and sinners will fall in the lake of fire for eternity (hell). The holiday thing I can see their point in that, even though i DO celebrate Christmas/Easter but I think that the main thing that keeps me from being a JW is the 144,000 heaven/paradise on earth thing.

i think the biggest misconceptions people have about JW's are that they are NOT Christians. They are Christians but they believe in diffrent principles which others have mentioned in here. Two of my best friends are JW's and for the most part we get along cause we believe in GOD and Christ (which is the most important thing). I am NOT a JW but I do find some of their teachings informative and really good but I think the MAIN difference between me and them are their belief that 144,000 "annointed ones" are going to heaven while Paradise will be on Earth, whereas I believe in the Rapture that Jesus will come back to earth to meet his people in the sky and those that believe in GOD through Jesus will go to heaven and sinners will fall in the lake of fire for eternity (hell). The holiday thing I can see their point in that, even though i DO celebrate Christmas/Easter but I think that the main thing that keeps me from being a JW is the 144,000 heaven/paradise on earth thing.
There is a big misconception here about JW and the 144,000 saints.
Many pentecostal churches believe this teaching as well. I grew up in the pentecostal church and I was taught thatt as well. I was shocked to hear that JW believed it too. I don't know why JW is said to be the only one. This is incorrect, with all due respect. My mother believes it and she doesn't even like JW. I think that part could be found in the book or revelations. Those 144000 will go up to meet Jesus and they will sit on his right hand during that time there will be great tribulations on earth, then he will come back with those to judge and to set up his kingdom here on earth.
I am not a JW. I was taught that in my church. Church of God. I don't know why JW get the blame for this. This is a doctrinal teaching throughtout the pentecostal churches.

Yes, the 144,000 number is mentioned a few times in the book of revelations.

Revelation 7:3-8 said:
Saying: "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the servants of God on their foreheads." And I heard the number of the sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:
12,000 from the tribe of Judah were sealed,
12,000 from the tribe of Reuben,
12,000 from the tribe of Gad,
12,000 from the tribe of Asher,
12,000 from the tribe of Naphtali,
12,000 from the tribe of Manasseh,
12,000 from the tribe of Simeon,
12,000 from the tribe of Levi,
12,000 from the tribe of Issachar,
12,000 from the tribe of Zebulun,
12,000 from the tribe of Joseph,
12,000 from the tribe of Benjamin were sealed.

Revelation 14:1 said:
Then I looked, and behold, on Mount Zion stood the Lamb, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.

Revelation 14:3-5 said:
And they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. For it is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb, 5 and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.

Last edited:
Yes, the 144,000 number is mentioned a few times in the book of revelations.
Thanks very much Bob. I never understood why the JW was attibuted with this when it is indeed the fundamental teachings of virtually all pentecostal churches. The problem is that many churches do not preach it becuase it conflicts with the 'Rapture' teachings by Paul. But they still believe it.
I have heard my mother talk about it. My mother is a devout born again christian and would never entertain JW. I think many church goers may not know that their church believe it cause it is hardly preached in church. In fact I doubt if I ever heard it preached from the pulpit, but I have heard it discussed by the 'elders'.:)

There is a big misconception here about JW and the 144,000 saints.
Many pentecostal churches believe this teaching as well. I grew up in the pentecostal church and I was taught thatt as well. I was shocked to hear that JW believed it too. I don't know why JW is said to be the only one. This is incorrect, with all due respect. My mother believes it and she doesn't even like JW. I think that part could be found in the book or revelations. Those 144000 will go up to meet Jesus and they will sit on his right hand during that time there will be great tribulations on earth, then he will come back with those to judge and to set up his kingdom here on earth.
I am not a JW. I was taught that in my church. Church of God. I don't know why JW get the blame for this. This is a doctrinal teaching throughtout the pentecostal churches.

I'm not blaming JWs for anything or claiming that they are they are the only ones who believe in a certain thing. Im stating what I've been told by my friends that are JWs. I dont know ANYTHING about the Pentecostal faith so thats why I wouldnt know that they too believe in the 144,000 annointed ones. I mean you do understand that we have diffrent religions and doctrines thus not everyone knows the beliefs of all religions within the Christian faith. My father is catholic and my mom is of the Apostolic faith (I dont think u would know about that church cause its mostly in NWest Africa) But I've known about the 144,000 annointed ones for years now cause my JW friend preaches to me about it and my pastor hasn't mentioned it to us thus the reason why people would assume that it is mostly believed by the JW faith. But now that I've seen some bible quotes here I'll go and read those sections of the bible!

I wasn't blaming you Lexi. I was just trying to set the record straight cause I have heard JW being made responsible for this alone. I just wanted to say that they are not alone in this thinking. Pentecostal christians who believe in the literal interpretation of the bible take the same teachings from the bible too.

Originally Posted by Revelation 7:3-8
Saying: "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the servants of God on their foreheads." And I heard the number of the sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:
12,000 from the tribe of Judah were sealed,
12,000 from the tribe of Reuben,
12,000 from the tribe of Gad,
12,000 from the tribe of Asher,
12,000 from the tribe of Naphtali,
12,000 from the tribe of Manasseh,
12,000 from the tribe of Simeon,
12,000 from the tribe of Levi,
12,000 from the tribe of Issachar,
12,000 from the tribe of Zebulun,
12,000 from the tribe of Joseph,
12,000 from the tribe of Benjamin were sealed..

isn't that a count of those who died BEFORE the Bible was written, hence the phrase "WERE sealed"???

And if there really are only 144,000 then that means they were already chosen because it says "were", and that means there are none chosen after that passage was written??

Hey, I'm just inquiring cause I don't know too much about JW's (but a couple of my uncles are JW's as well as a friend of mine)

My aunt was a JW, but she had a child out of wedlock and they dis- something'ed (fellowshipped???) her, and they werent allowed to speak to her for a certain amount of time, and she was supposed to apologize to the church. She left because she felt as though she was not meant to answer to her peers in the church, only God, and they shouldn't judge her because that is for God to do.

I just wanted to know because it confuses me....don't be mad at me!!!!! :)

I wasn't blaming you Lexi. I was just trying to set the record straight cause I have heard JW being made responsible for this alone. I just wanted to say that they are not alone in this thinking. Pentecostal christians who believe in the literal interpretation of the bible take the same teachings from the bible too.
Sorry for jumping to conclusions ...I thought u were blaming me :lol:

For real though aside from JW's I wanna learn so much more about other Christians religions. I just consider myself "Christian" when people ask me but when they ask what church I belong to (Baptist, Lutheren, Pentecostal, Methodist) I dont know! I dont know any of the doctrines of thsoe churches! My mom is apostolic and dad is catholic but where we live we go to a NON dimentional (sp?) church. I wanna learn more on them. As for the JW's I like alot of what they teach and believe in, the only things that had me confused were not celebrating Christmas/the cross/144,000 annointed ones but many of that has been answered in this thread.

I am NOT a JW but I do find some of their teachings informative and really good but I think the MAIN difference between me and them are their belief that 144,000 "annointed ones" are going to heaven while Paradise will be on Earth, whereas I believe in the Rapture that Jesus will come back to earth to meet his people in the sky and those that believe in GOD through Jesus will go to heaven and sinners will fall in the lake of fire for eternity (hell). The holiday thing I can see their point in that, even though i DO celebrate Christmas/Easter but I think that the main thing that keeps me from being a JW is the 144,000 heaven/paradise on earth thing.
Actually, the main difference between what is commonly referred to as "Christians" and the JW teachings is the identity of Jesus.

In John 1,1 it says (according to most Bible translations): In the beginning was the Word. The word was from God, the word was God

In the New World Translation (JW Bible) is reads: In the beginning was the Word. The word was from God, the was a god

In both they refer to Jesus. The difference is, the Christians believe that Jesus Christ IS God. He is not a lesser God, a smaller God, anything BUT God. Jesus Christ is a third of the Godhead - the Trinity - consisting of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit. The entities that are all God. They are one. Each entity has a different function, so to speak, but if you worship God, you worship them all.

In JW teachings, like Chichi wrote, they believe Jesus is a smaller god. Not God almighty, but a smaller god. He is a Godson, more or less. They do not believe the Father, the Son and the Spirit are all one, but 3 very distinctive entities. They do not believe in the trinity, because trinity means three-in-one and they will rebuke the teachings of the Trinity.

As a matter of fact, a JW will not set foot in a Christian church, because we worship Jesus. A JW will only worship Jehova, and believe that worshipping Jesus is idol-worshipping.

The reason why most Christians will not call JW "Christian" is because of the difference in the identity of Jesus. I personally believe that Christian means to strive to become like Jesus, and to believe that Jesus IS God, so I dont consider JW Christian. Not out of disrespect, but they dont consider me a true Christian either... So its just difference of opinion, really.

The whole 144,000 teaching is taught in different religions. I am pentecostal myself, but have not heard it taught at all. I am currently working under both First Assembly and Foursquare International which are two so-called Charismatic Christian churches, but again, none of them teach that only 144,000 are going to Heaven.

Minnie, thank you for the breakdowm You did it so well. I am totally confused about this now, cause while my church believe in the trinity, they also believe that Jesus is not God the father, but God the son. who is a different entity alltogether, and having different rolls. When they say they are the same, they mean in essence but not in person. In fact 3 separate entity essentially the same because they work together and are united as one. That is how I have always understood it. As a child growing up we were always in contention with the church near by that we called 'Jesus Only', because they did not believe in the trinity but believed that Jesus was god. So in essence I think it is safe to say that may churches do believe in the separate functions of the trinity, but do believe that they are essentially in unison. I think I am very confused now.

Last edited:
Minnie, thank you for the breakdowm You did it so well. I am totally confused about this now, cause while my church believe in the trinity, they also believe that Jesus is not God the father, but God the son. who is a different entity alltogether, and having different rolls. When they say they are the same, they mean in essence but not in person. In fact 3 separate entity essentially the same because they work together and are united as one. That is how I have always understood it. As a child growing up we were always in contention with the church near by that we called 'Jesus Only', because they did not believe in the trinity but believed that Jesus was god. So in essence I think it is safe to say that may churches do believe in the separate functions of the trinity, but do believe that they are essentially in unison. I think I am very confused now.

Well... they are both right LOL And that's really the cool thing about the Trinity. Basically they are ONE! But at the same time, they are 3 seperate entities.

Some try to explain it with this image: The sun is just one thing, the sun... However, there is the star itself, the rays, and the warmth. The sun itself is God the Father, the Creator, the one Jesus prays to throughout the New Testament, and the "head" of the trinity. The rays is Jesus, the messenger, the light, the link between us and God the Father. The heat is the Holy Spirit. The effect in our lives, what we feel.

So while the Godhead is really just one, there is but one God, there are 3 seperate "persons" of the Godhead, of God.

The Trinity has always been one of the mysteries of Christianity, but at the same time one of those things where we can essentially say "I do not get it! So I'mma just worship 'em all".

I don't believe in jealousy within the Trinity, so I don't believe that if you pray "Lord Jesus, I pray that.." that the Father is going to be upset, nor do I believe the Holy Spirit feels left out. The are essentially ONE.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Minnie. I still would call JW christians because they do believe in Jesus as the son of god.

Last edited:
Back