Lesbian partners get parental rights

L.J

Proud Member
Lesbian partners get parental rights

April 22, 2008 04:23pm

CHILDREN born through in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) to lesbian mothers will have the same rights as those of heterosexual couples, under law changes announced by the New South Wales government.

State Attorney-General John Hatzistergos today said he had accepted NSW Law Reform recommendations extending "parental presumption" provisions to cover gay mums.
It was estimated 20 per cent of the state's female same-sex couples had children, Mr Hatzistergos said.
The change affects those born through IVF or artificial fertilisation only, by granting parenting rights and obligations to the non-biological mother.
"The current law discriminates against these children who, at the moment, have a relationship with the birth mother's partner that is not recognised by law," Mr Hatzistergos said.
"They are unable to take on inheritance, or the benefits of compensation which may be due ... following a death or injury."
The changes to the Status of Children Act 1996 will also allow these children to have both of their parents recognised by school authorities.
Both women in the same-sex couple must be in a relationship at the time of conception for the provision to apply.
On top of the new parenting laws, Mr Hatzistergos said the government would also amend about 50 state acts to remove discrimination against same-sex couples in NSW.
In some instances, he said, this would impose new requirements on same-sex couples to disclose a potential conflict of interest.
"The government will also be amending the anti-discrimination act to prohibit discrimination on the basis of a person's domestic status," Mr Hatzistergos said.
"In other words, the fact they have to reveal the existence of that relationship ... shouldn't be a ground on which they can be discriminated against."
Mr Hatzistergos said the changes would not go as far as moves in Tasmania, and soon-to-be implemented changes in Victoria, where same-sex couples could add their name to a register.
"We want to see how this pans out nationally," he said.
"Our preference is that these issues be resolved at a national level so there is consistency and uniformity across the jurisdictions."
The law changes will be introduced to the NSW parliament later this year.

Link

Here's hoping it spread's to nation wide :kickass2:

Last edited:
that is mighty white of them

** apoligizes for early morning sarcasm**

It doesn't say anything about the rights of gay men who have children though so I wonder whether the law will apply for them too or whether it's strictly for lesbians who give birth to their own children.... would be kinda wrong to grant it to one and not the other just because one gender has a womb and the other doesn't.

Marci I'm not too sure what you mean by saying you hope it stays where it is and doesn't become a US thing? :unsure:

Don't worry Marci it's not contagious :)

I think in giving people the rights they deserve and not discriminating against them because of the sexuality etc should be a given in any country that wants to be considered contemporary.
I tie this topic in with same sex unions too because I think the reasons against same sex civil unions are bogus excuses.
I know one popular arguement is that if we allow same sex couples to be joined... then heterosexual marriages would drop... I think this was proven to be the exact opposite in I think Denmark?

*edit I found it :)

In fact, the numbers show that heterosexual marriage looks pretty healthy in Scandinavia, where same-sex couples have had rights the longest. In Denmark, for example, the marriage rate had been declining for a half-century but turned around in the early 1980s. After the 1989 passage of the registered-partner law, the marriage rate continued to climb; Danish heterosexual marriage rates are now the highest they've been since the early 1970's. And the most recent marriage rates in Sweden, Norway, and Iceland are all higher than the rates for the years before the partner laws were passed. Furthermore, in the 1990s, divorce rates in Scandinavia remained basically unchanged.
Link

Last edited:
Don't worry Marci it's not contagious :)

I think in giving people the rights they deserve and not discriminating against them because of the sexuality etc should be a given in any country that wants to be considered contemporary.
I tie this topic in with same sex unions too because I think the reasons against same sex civil unions are bogus excuses.
I know one popular arguement is that if we allow same sex couples to be joined... then heterosexual marriages would drop... I think this was proven to be the exact opposite in I think Denmark?

*edit I found it :)

Link

That is one of the least logical theories I have heard.:huh:
There is a new marriage law under discussion here, and it will make same sex marriage completely equal to heterosexual marriages. It is very important, and a step in the right direction, because I don`t think people should be punished when it comes to law due to who they fall in love with. People tend to turn this in to a discussion about "moral". To me its rather immoral to discriminate. In fact this is more about financial security, being able to plan for the future, being able to commit to the relationship etc....having society say that the same rules and laws apply to all.

Its about having equal rights and security. Staying together as a couple is about commitment, and if the rules of the society makes it harder for same sex couples to stay togheter, its not fair.
People can have all kinds of "personal opinions", but as that are often very biased and judgemental I don`t think those opinions should affect the laws.........

^ it is probably the least logical lol but a lot of people believe that if you make it ok then more people will be tempted to try the life style.

I would actually think that it would improve the rates of divorces and things because people wouldn't feel pressured to marry someone of the opposite sex just to secure themselves financial or other support or rights that we should all have access to.

I really hope that stays where it is and dosent become a USA thing as well.

it will eventually.

i believe homosexual ppl should have the right to get married and have children just like heterosexuals do. the societies should make progress by stepping forward and not back or staying put.

I know one popular arguement is that if we allow same sex couples to be joined... then heterosexual marriages would drop...
omg... Like so many homosexuals would be in a heterosexual relationship if a same sex mariage would be forbidden :rolleyes: Thats just silly.

Nah... good that there are finally parental rights for same sex couples... another step in the right direction I'd say :)

^ actually I do know of some guys who have been pressured into marrying girls as a way of stifling their homosexual "tendencies" or to help keep them on the straight and narrow.

A lot of folks do things because they are taught that it's the right way and that what they feel is clearly the wrong way.

It's all very crazy this world of ours :)

"Whatever beliefs religious or otherwise, society as a whole will eventually have to come to terms with reality and recognize what is in the best interest of the "family" unit..!

Sincerely,
Susie
Cleveland Rocks!

Last edited:
^ actually I do know of some guys who have been pressured into marrying girls as a way of stifling their homosexual "tendencies" or to help keep them on the straight and narrow.

A lot of folks do things because they are taught that it's the right way and that what they feel is clearly the wrong way.

It's all very crazy this world of ours :)

i couldnt agree more with this :flowers:

unfortunately you're right. But what I mean with my comment is that I doubt there will be a great shift once parental rights are legal for same sex couples. Those who come from places that pressure them into heterosexual marriages will continue to be pressured after legalisation I recogn.

But like I said, I'm all for and I hope it WILL change things for the better :)

Back