30 November 2007 News and Mentionings Washington Post article about MJ Ebony Cover

mello1

Proud Member
Today is Friday, November 30, 2007

The Day of 'The Thriller'!

25 years ago, the biggest album on the planet dropped! Happy Anniversary and Congratulations to Michael, Quincy and all behind the Thriller Project!!!

Epic Records/Legacy Recordings Unveil The 25th Anniversary Edition of Michael Jackson's...

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:11am EST

Epic Records/Legacy Recordings Unveil The 25th Anniversary Edition of MichaelJackson's Thriller The World's Biggest Selling Album Of All TimeNewly Expanded Deluxe Edition of Multi-Platinum Grammy-Winning Album With New& Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks Including Remixes By Akon, will.i.am &Kanye West + Bonus DVD Featuring Digitally Restored Short Films & MichaelJackson's Historic Breakout Performance From "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today,Forever" Television Broadcast
NEW YORK, Nov. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Epic/Legacy Recordings proudlycelebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the world'sbiggest-selling album of all time, with a newly expanded deluxe edition of thephenomenal record-breaking pop culture touchstone, available in the U.S. onTuesday, February 12, 2008. The album will be available worldwide the week ofFebruary 11, 2008.​

The Michael Jackson Thriller 25th anniversary celebration kicks off inDecember 2007 with the release of a new single and continues throughout 2008with a multi-faceted global marketing campaign featuring high-profiletelevision, radio and online events around the world.​

The Thriller - 25th Anniversary Edition will include the original album inits entirety as well as eight bonus tracks and a DVD featuring MichaelJackson's groundbreaking short films from Thriller ("Thriller," "Beat It," and"Billie Jean") and the artist's Emmy-nominated breakout performance of "BillieJean" from the legendary "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever" televisionspecial (first broadcast on NBC on May 16, 1983).
The newly expanded version of Thriller premieres five tracks previouslyunreleased in any form: a new Kanye West remix of "Billie Jean"; a new 2008version of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" with Akon and will.i.am; will.i.amremixes of "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T."; and "For All Time," a rareunreleased cut from the original Thriller recording sessions, newly mixed andmastered by Michael Jackson.​

Additional bonus material on the Thriller - 25th Anniversary Editionincludes "Someone In The Dark," "Carousel," and Michael Jackson's originaldemo recording of "Billie Jean."​

The deluxe Thriller - 25th Anniversary Edition packaging contains apersonal greeting from Michael Jackson to his fans penned exclusively for thisspecial release.​

Originally released in the US 25 years ago on November 30, 1982 by EpicRecords, Thriller, Michael Jackson's sixth solo album and second with producerQuincy Jones, rocketed the former child-star lead singer for the Jackson 5into the stratosphere of international superstardom. Introducing the "robot"and the "moonwalk" into the international lexicon of clubland dance moves viathe pulsing sounds of Thriller, Michael Jackson revolutionized all aspects ofmainstream pop culture -- from radio airwaves to the newly emerging art formof music videos -- becoming the world's most popular entertainer in theprocess. Continued... @ http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS58333+30-Nov-2007+PRN20071130

Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' returns

Deluxe disc will include will.i.am, Kanye remixes

By PHIL GALLO

A 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" will be released on Feb. 12 by Epic/Legacy Recordings.
Recognized as the world's biggest-selling album of all time, the deluxe edition will include the original album plus eight bonus tracks and a DVD featuring the short films/videos of "Thriller," "Beat It," and "Billie Jean" and his breakout performance of "Billie Jean" at the "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever" TV special.

Five of the new tracks have never been released: a Kanye West remix of "Billie Jean"; a new 2008 version of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" with Akon and will.i.am; will.i.am remixes of "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T."; and "For All Time," newly mixed and mastered by Jackson. The other bonus tracks are "Someone In The Dark," "Carousel," and the demo recording of "Billie Jean."

Legacy previously issued a remastered version of "Thriller" in 2001 around the same time as Jackson's "Invincible" was released. Jackson has not released an album since.

Originally released Nov. 30, 1982, "Thriller" was Jackson's sixth solo album. It spent 80 consecutive weeks in the American Top 10, 37 of those at No. 1. Seven of the album's nine tracks became Top 10 singles. It is the only record to be America's top-selling album two years running (1983 and 1984). The RIAA has certified it 27-times platinum. It was declared the best-selling album of all-time in 1985, a year after Jackson won eight Grammys, seven of which were for his work on the album.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117976801.html?categoryId=16&cs=1

Kanye West, Will.I.Am On New Edition Of Michael Jackson's Thriller

Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, is getting big love in time for Valentine's Day. In celebration of the release's 25th anniversary, Epic/Legacy is revisiting it with a deluxe edition containing unreleased bonus tracks mixed by or featuring Kanye West, Akon, Will.I.Am and Jackson himself. Thriller was originally released November 30, 1982, and the new 25th Anniversary Edition, dropping February 12, will have eight extra cuts: a fresh Kanye remix of "Billie Jean"; Akon and Will.I.Am's new take on "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' "; "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T." remixes by Will.I.Am; the rare unissued song "For All Time," a track from the original recording sessions that has been newly mixed and mastered by MJ; "Someone in the Dark"; "Carousel"; and the original "Billie Jean" demo. The set will also house a DVD with Jackson's Thriller short films, which have been digitally remastered — "Thriller," "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" — as well as his Emmy-nominated performance of the latter song on 1983's "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever" TV special. Lastly, it will also have an exclusive Jackson-penned greeting to his fans. While the Thriller deluxe edition doesn't drop until February, the Jackson action actually starts in December when he releases a new single and launches a new global-marketing campaign. ...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1575462/20071130/west_kanye.jhtml

A Makeover for Jackson and Shades of Change for Ebony

By Robin Givhan

Washington Post Staff Writer Sunday, December 2, 2007; Page M01

Pop star Michael Jackson has resurfaced. He has returned to the recording studio. And in celebration of the 25th anniversary of "Thriller," he gazes placidly from the December cover of Ebony magazine. And, to be blunt, he does not look like a creepy goofball. When the world last had a long, hard look at Jackson more than two years ago, he was on trial for child molestation. He would shuffle into court late and distracted, wearing suits that looked like they had been lifted from Sgt. Pepper, militaristic armbands and medallions and, on one day, pajamas. After he was acquitted he disappeared to the Middle East, only occasionally emerging to make a few bucks by posing in photo ops with screaming fans in Japan.

But he has been transformed in Ebony. He is wearing white tails and a plain white shirt. A gold mesh bow tie hangs, undone, around his neck, and a large diamond-and-white-gold floral brooch serves as a million-dollar boutonniere. He looks like a contemporary pop star, rather than a relic from the '80s. The photographs inside are even more compelling. In one, Jackson is wearing silver metallic jeans, silver reptile cowboy booties, a long black iridescent frock coat, copious diamonds on his lapel and a black top hat, the brim of which he is tugging down over one eye. The photograph is graceful and dynamic. But what is most fascinating is that Jackson looks like himself -- that hair, that face, that dancer's body, that flamboyant style -- but he also looks like a grown-up. Or more specifically, like a grown-up version of his P.T. Barnum self.

There is no attempt, either in the images or in the accompanying story, to address his financial situation or to backtrack over his legal problems or curious proclivities. That is not Ebony's style. Instead, it is purely a celebration of the performer, the fact that "Thriller" has sold more than 100 million copies and that some version of a Jackson song -- a sample, a remake, a Jackson 5 ditty -- probably is on every iPod in the world. The photos, by Matthew Rolston, were taken at the Brooklyn Museum about two months ago, following about eight months of negotiations with Jackson's people -- about a dozen of whom accompanied him to the shoot -- regarding everything from timing to who would do his hair. (His personal hairstylist did.)

It was Jackson who proposed the location. He wanted to be in the company of art, says Harriette Cole, Ebony's creative director. With the museum as the backdrop, Cole says, "I started thinking 'timeless.' " She also noted that when Jackson was asked to review some ideas for the shoot, he slipped on a pair of reading glasses, a gesture that reminded her that "his music may be timeless, but he's a grown man." At the heart of the shoot was a singular question: "What does a mature icon look like?" Cole and her colleagues have been asking that same question as it relates to the magazine. Since the death of its founder, John H. Johnson, in 2005, Ebony has been in a process of reinvention. Founded in 1945, Ebony became a dominant voice among African Americans and occupied a place of honor on coffee tables in homes across the country. But it also became staid. It indulged in the gushing profiles that are the lifeblood of so many magazines but focused on aging celebrities who had little relevance to younger readers. Mostly, Ebony lacked a lively editorial voice. It rarely even photographed its own covers, instead using the sort of stock images that might be distributed by a fan club.

Ebony survived -- as other magazines aimed at African Americans came to the fore -- in large part because of the loyal grandparents who wanted to read about the homecoming queens from historically black colleges, who took pride in staying abreast of the first black this or that and who made a point of sharing those milestones with their children and grandchildren. It appealed to those who were more interested in Bill Cosby than Kanye West. Cole, an author and veteran of the magazine industry, arrived last January. Ebony, with a circulation of 1.45 million, bore the burden of its significant history. "Ebony is the largest black magazine in the world. But it's also a general interest magazine. You have grandmothers, mothers, daughters and granddaughters -- how do you appeal to four generations at one time?" Ebony's changes have been more than aesthetic.

There are more timely and provocative features, for instance. But it's the contemporary gleam of the magazine that is most immediately noticeable. The more refined look sends the strongest signal that all is not as it once was. The past has not been completely dismissed, it simply is being placed in the context of the present day. The first cover Cole worked on was of Barack and Michelle Obama. "We wanted to create a presidential image. It wasn't meant to be flashy. It was to be iconic -- American and iconic." An April cover story featured Harry Belafonte, 80, and Common, 35. On the inside pages, the two talk politics. "We want people whose lives and work cross generations. And we style them so they look contemporary."

It's the same principle that Ebony has applied to Jackson. He was not asked to wear some designer's slim-cut business suit and expensive tie. That would have been a transformation, but it would not have been Jackson. In keeping with the magazine's tradition, the editors wrap Jackson -- and the "Thriller" legacy -- in a warm embrace. And they make a persuasive argument that the pop star and the magazine can both continue to be relevant.

Today in Michael Jackson History
1991 - Michael Jackson's album "Dangerous" debuted at #1 in the U.K.

2003 - Jermaine Jackson appeared on CNN's "Larry King Live."

Michael Jackson Quote

"I've seen lawyers who don't represent me and spokespeople who do not know me speaking for me. These characters always seem to surface with dreadful allegations just as another project, an album, a video is being released".

- Michael Jackson, November 18, 2003 after a search warrant was served at Neverland Ranch.

Last edited:
Re: 30 November 2007 News and Mentionings Washington Post article about MJ Ebony Cove

.. thanks so much for the news.. that article on Ebony was a nice read

Re: 30 November 2007 News and Mentionings Washington Post article about MJ Ebony Cove

Thanks for the great news!

Happy 25th Anniversary to Thriller! :jump:

:clap: :clap: :Clap:

I admire Ebony's approach to its interviews. I am proud of them and and I am proud of Michael.

I admire Ebony's approach to its interviews. I am proud of them and and I am proud of Michael.

Amen to that! And all those headlines are truly God's blessing and answer to all our prayers! :D

Thanks so much for the news!:flowers:

I just got mt ebony the other day-LOVE IT MIKEY LOOKS SOOO HOT!
Great article also . Brilliant!

That was a beautiful put read . Michael absolutly looks wonderful , he is so good looking . I really see things changing for the good for Michael and its about time and well deserved. Michael Jackson you are the best.:):wub:

:woohoo::jump1:

I enjoyed reading the well written and thoughtful
Washington Post article about the MJ Ebony Cover.:sarmoti

I am surprised noone has commented on the news about the release of a new single this month.:blink:

:eat:

Back